A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Time For a Coffee Break!

Special Snowflake Stories

<< < (5117/5996) > >>

kategillian:
And, honestly, what would they expect the server to say before they played the bill and tipped him? As a server myself, I'm happy to say that this kind of behavior is rare, I've even had parents ask me for a broom so they could finish cleaning.

ladyknight1:
That is so over the top bad manners, as a parent, I am appalled.

Twik:

--- Quote from: TeamBhakta on February 17, 2014, 01:29:56 PM ---I was at an RV show. After taking pictures of the living room & bathroom of one RV, I went to the doorway of the bedroom for a few more snaps. There were four people on the right side of the room (near the foot of the horizontal bed). I was going to wait a minute or two for them to finish their viewing before taking pictures. But then I realized after a bit they were just gossiping about "lol You know our friend Jimmy, right ? He did the dumbest thing. It's sooo funny" and didn't plan to move any time soon. So I aimed my camera at the left side of the room to get what pictures I could, at an angle that was obviously away from the 4 people.

After the first shot, they all stopped talking & watched me. I then took one more picture (again, facing away from them so they weren't in the pictures). As I walked away, one woman snapped "Did you just take pictures of us ?" I said "No, my camera was faced down to the left side." "Well, you still should've asked us to sign a photo release  >:( " These were not the RV owners / vendors, btw

--- End quote ---

Seriously? They wanted a photo release for being in the way of you taking personal pictures?

I suspect that they somehow have the idea that if they hang around commercial areas like trade shows, they can make their fortune out of photo releases. That's probably why they didn't move - they wanted to be in your picture, hoping it was for promotional purposes rather than personal, because they thought there might be money in it for them.

Sunbeem:

--- Quote from: oz diva on November 25, 2011, 07:05:58 PM ---
--- Quote from: Reader on November 25, 2011, 02:04:19 PM ---Non native as not born in the US or not native to the area.

--- End quote ---

I still don't know why it was relevant. IMO if it's not relevant to know their race/nationality, then it's racism.

--- End quote ---

I strongly disagree.  As this thread, and especially this category (off-topic discussions/coffee break) largely revolves about sharing experiences, it is perfectly normal for people to tell stories and give descriptive details.  Observing ethnically-identifying details is no worse than mentioning what shoe color someone was wearing, or what color/make/model of vehicle cut you off in traffic, or what hairstyle a crazy SS in Starbucks had, etc.  This thread is for story-telling ("Special Snowflake Stories; good stories have details.  IF someone states or implies that certain ethnicity=bad, that would be racism.  But providing details is not racism. 

Let me put it this way... if their ethnicity is irrelevant, then why would gender, age, numbers, location be relevant? The whole story could be boiled down to "People were blocking other people's access." 

VorFemme:
The only thing that I can think of is that most Western cultures deal with "standing in line" as a part of the culture.  "Cutting in line" is understood as not a good character trait and will get you either yelled at or considered an inconsiderate bacon-fed whatever of a knave.

Some cultures in more high density population centers NOT in the Western culture have NO idea what "standing in line" means and it is a cultural tradition to work your way through the crowd of passerby to get in front of the seller so you can get YOUR stuff (meal, shopping, dry cleaning, whatever).  They don't "see" a line - they see a lot of passerby who are standing around but are still obstacles to be gotten around to get to the seller/cashier or whatever they are trying to get.

They are not being bacon fed whatevers - they are following their cultural expectation - but all the Westerners standing in line are going to be cussing out the ignorant foreigners who don't even notice that they are cutting in line because they don't USE lines back home.

And those Westerners going to that location as tourists are going to be sadly tossed about as they try to find a line to stand in while the locals are trying to get by the weirdoes who are standing in place instead of getting to where they are going so that they can relieve the congestion on the walkway or road....I've never been there, but I understand that "traffic laws" are also regarded differently in the same locations.  Not that there aren't Western SSs who ignore laws if they think it will get them where they want to be ninety seconds faster....

They are SS because they should know the local laws, customs, and cultural expectation - so they are ignoring them.  The foreigners may be working from a different set of expectations, customs, and possibly legal traditions - so expecting them to know, bone deep, what they are doing is a bit like wearing blinders to make it easier to ignore the differences that do make a difference.  The cultural chains that bind invisibly but shape our behavior without our even thinking about it - or in some cases - being able to think about it unless you KNOW that there are fields of study on those very differences (anthropology, sociology, psychology, and many of the so called "soft sciences").

Note - my training is in sociology and I've been told since childhood that I don't think like everyone else.  I still don't know if this is good or bad...but it is different and some people do think that different = bad.  Or at least different = not good.  And not good = bad....so I've been yelled at a few times & had to be told why I was getting yelled at.

Still don't understand why it is not good to dislike football....but I grew up in West Texas and it could be compared to heresy in the Middle Ages - it may not be against church doctrine - but it is NOT encouraged!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version