Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5108085 times)

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #25590 on: February 19, 2014, 06:58:01 PM »
And, honestly, what would they expect the server to say before they played the bill and tipped him? As a server myself, I'm happy to say that this kind of behavior is rare, I've even had parents ask me for a broom so they could finish cleaning.

Good point. He probably just wanted to get rid of them as expediently as possible.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #25591 on: February 19, 2014, 09:11:52 PM »
The restaurant story reminded me of these two

Sis and her Sister-in-law took the kids out. Loren and her Older cousin were 2 and 4 yo. The restaurant had a long waiting list and Sis and her SIL decided to go somewhere else where they could get the kids fed faster.

As they were walking across the parking lot older cousin started choking, full on choking can't talk, can't cough. Sis grabbed him and went through the whole first aid procedure for a kid that size. She couldn't get what ever it was out. So she ordered SIL to call 911 and kept doing the first aid procedure. Just as the EMT's arrived she got the object out. The little imp had grabbed one of the mints on the desk as they were leaving - probably while Sis and her SIL were making their apologies to the hostess.

The EMT - threatened to call CPS on both families for being neglectful for allowing a 4 year old to have hard candy. Sis is a social worker - she told them off and filed a complaint in part because that attitude might keep someone from calling for help the next time.

Another time my cousin's kids made a mess because they were goofing around in a restaurant. They were made to clean up the mess, took a little trip to the bathroom, and came back with abject apologies that amazed the staff. Since they were old enough to know better their parents made them kick in from their own spending money $5 each over the tip we had covered because the staff was still going to have to clean more than normal to be ready for the next customer. The waiter thought we had forgotten our change. Cousin made the boys explain. Was a long time before they messed up that bad again.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

doodlemor

« Reply #25592 on: February 19, 2014, 09:59:59 PM »

Another time my cousin's kids made a mess because they were goofing around in a restaurant. They were made to clean up the mess, took a little trip to the bathroom, and came back with abject apologies that amazed the staff. Since they were old enough to know better their parents made them kick in from their own spending money $5 each over the tip we had covered because the staff was still going to have to clean more than normal to be ready for the next customer. The waiter thought we had forgotten our change. Cousin made the boys explain. Was a long time before they messed up that bad again.

Brilliant! Hitting the little rascals in the pocketbook clearly made a big impression.

Hurricane Marathon

« Reply #25593 on: February 20, 2014, 09:50:09 AM »
Back in my "previous life" I worked in a pet store.  A young girl used to come in with her two small children.  She had a crush on my co-worker, who was d@ting my other co-worker.  One day her child threw up all over the floor in our aquarium room.  She looked at my co-worker - the girlfriend of her crush - giggled and said "Looks like you have something to clean up now!" and walked out.

goldilocks

« Reply #25594 on: February 20, 2014, 12:27:14 PM »
We were at dinner with my in-laws.  My dd and my stepdaughter were with us.   They were about 15 and 17 at the time.   we had finished eating and were just talking.   apparently they got bored and started throwing food at one another.   

I ordered them both to go stand outside (it was about 20 degrees that night) and wait for us to pay the bill.   My MIL expressed horror at this.   I told her the cold would help them mature.  It didn't.

cattlekid

« Reply #25595 on: February 20, 2014, 12:47:45 PM »
Saw one yesterday at the Social Security office.  It opens at 9AM and by the time I got there at 9:15, it was a full house.  There is a computer where you have to register and it spits out an alphanumeric code that indicates why you are there and what number you are in line.  Obviously, some numbers get called before others even if you have been there longer than someone else who is there for a different purpose, much like the lines at the Department of Motor Vehicles (or whatever it's called in your area).

I never knew why the SSA office had a security guard until yesterday.  A guy came in during my wait that was looking for some basic information.  He took one look at the group in the waiting room, then asked the security guard if he *had* to register because he just needed "information about x".  The guard told him that line jumping wasn't allowed and that he would have to register and wait his turn.  The guy continued to press his case but the security guard didn't flinch.  The guy stomped out muttering obscenities about the type of operation they had going on there.    ::)

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25596 on: February 20, 2014, 01:41:37 PM »
DH and I have been noticing signs of a dog running loose around our subdivision lately. Particularly around our yard. There was a large pile of dog poop in our driveway one day, and things in my garden had been knocked over or dug up.

DH works a random schedule, where his shifts can involve him having a week day off, or working from 1:00-9:00 p.m. Yesterday he noticed the neighbor across and one house over had let their two dogs out and just left. They have a fully fenced back yard, but neighbor let them out the front door to run loose. DH rounded up the dogs, which were running around in our yard, and put them in the neighbor's fenced yard. As he was getting the second dog into the yard (it took him a while to catch that one), the neighbor returned. Apparently they've just been letting their dogs out to run loose around the subdivision during the way when they thought everyone was working. They used to let them out all the time, but someone called animal control on them and they appeared to have gotten better about keeping their dogs up. I guess now they've just been letting them run loose sneakily when they thought no one would catch them at it.

DH explained to him about the damage to our yard and the poop in the driveway and told him to please keep his dogs up during the day. Hopefully the neighbor will actually do it, because DH is talking about calling animal control next time (we have leash laws in our area and there are fines given if you've already been warned once about keeping your dogs up).

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #25597 on: February 20, 2014, 02:38:07 PM »
DH and I have been noticing signs of a dog running loose around our subdivision lately. Particularly around our yard. There was a large pile of dog poop in our driveway one day, and things in my garden had been knocked over or dug up.

DH works a random schedule, where his shifts can involve him having a week day off, or working from 1:00-9:00 p.m. Yesterday he noticed the neighbor across and one house over had let their two dogs out and just left. They have a fully fenced back yard, but neighbor let them out the front door to run loose. DH rounded up the dogs, which were running around in our yard, and put them in the neighbor's fenced yard. As he was getting the second dog into the yard (it took him a while to catch that one), the neighbor returned. Apparently they've just been letting their dogs out to run loose around the subdivision during the way when they thought everyone was working. They used to let them out all the time, but someone called animal control on them and they appeared to have gotten better about keeping their dogs up. I guess now they've just been letting them run loose sneakily when they thought no one would catch them at it.

DH explained to him about the damage to our yard and the poop in the driveway and told him to please keep his dogs up during the day. Hopefully the neighbor will actually do it, because DH is talking about calling animal control next time (we have leash laws in our area and there are fines given if you've already been warned once about keeping your dogs up).

These are people who should not have dogs in my opinion. What would happen if a car hit one of them!? Or they came upon a more aggressive dog?! The things that could potentially happen! Poor doggies. They didn't ask for bad pet parents, they got stuck with them. I'd call animal control next time for sure!

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25598 on: February 20, 2014, 02:54:20 PM »

These are people who should not have dogs in my opinion. What would happen if a car hit one of them!? Or they came upon a more aggressive dog?! The things that could potentially happen! Poor doggies. They didn't ask for bad pet parents, they got stuck with them. I'd call animal control next time for sure!

I agree.  We all know that dogs can and do sometimes "escape" when their humans are away.  It happens to even the most careful dog owners.

But to deliberately put them out to run loose for the day is animal abuse.  I think if they're seen again running around wreaking havoc on the neighborhood that animal control should absolutely be called with no further conversation with the 'parents'.

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25599 on: February 20, 2014, 03:36:19 PM »

I agree.  We all know that dogs can and do sometimes "escape" when their humans are away.  It happens to even the most careful dog owners.

But to deliberately put them out to run loose for the day is animal abuse.  I think if they're seen again running around wreaking havoc on the neighborhood that animal control should absolutely be called with no further conversation with the 'parents'.

yeah, we're planning on calling animal control if it happens again. The fact that the neighbor knew his dogs being loose was wrong and so waited until he thought no one would be around to see it really irritates me. It isn't just annoying to us and other neighbors. It's dangerous for the dogs. Last time I saw them out, the same day animal control was called, they nearly got hit by a car and had also chased a woman down the street while she was out walking her own dog. They're not well behaved dogs when they're outside.

Another day they got left out, all day, in the extreme summer heat with no shelter and no food or water. Another neighbor took pity on them and put a bowl of water out for the dogs. We all really thought the neighbors had gotten better since no one had seen the dogs running loose ever since animal control showed up and talked to them, but I guess not.

MummySweet

« Reply #25600 on: February 20, 2014, 03:46:51 PM »

yeah, we're planning on calling animal control if it happens again. The fact that the neighbor knew his dogs being loose was wrong and so waited until he thought no one would be around to see it really irritates me. It isn't just annoying to us and other neighbors. It's dangerous for the dogs. Last time I saw them out, the same day animal control was called, they nearly got hit by a car and had also chased a woman down the street while she was out walking her own dog. They're not well behaved dogs when they're outside.

Another day they got left out, all day, in the extreme summer heat with no shelter and no food or water. Another neighbor took pity on them and put a bowl of water out for the dogs. We all really thought the neighbors had gotten better since no one had seen the dogs running loose ever since animal control showed up and talked to them, but I guess not.

I've got to say, they've had their warning.  For everyone's safety and well-being, including that of the dogs, a call to animal control now seems appropriate.

Iris

« Reply #25601 on: February 20, 2014, 10:53:42 PM »

The EMT - threatened to call CPS on both families for being neglectful for allowing a 4 year old to have hard candy. Sis is a social worker - she told them off and filed a complaint in part because that attitude might keep someone from calling for help the next time.

A friend of mine once worked in the call centre for our equivalent of CPS. She said stories like this made her laugh because some of the REAL cases that were reported to them (which I won't relate because they're truly horrible) were so much worse that it was bizarre. You'd think an EMT would know better, frankly.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25602 on: February 21, 2014, 09:25:56 AM »

I've got to say, they've had their warning.  For everyone's safety and well-being, including that of the dogs, a call to animal control now seems appropriate.

well, the neighbor left the dogs running loose again today so DH called animal control. We'll see how things go now.

goldilocks

« Reply #25603 on: February 21, 2014, 01:26:28 PM »
We had a neighbor that constantly let her dogs run loose.   She had about 20 dogs at the time.   I'm not exaggerating.

My husband caught one of the dogs and took it to the animal control officer.  She saw him to do this and so was well aware that the dog was in "jail".   My DH thought that she'd have to pay a fine and maybe that would convince her to get control.

What he didn't know is that she had been so hateful to the animal control officer in the past and he hated her so bad that he put the dog to sleep as soon as DH dropped it off.

Needless to say we haven't spoken to her in over 5 years, but she finally keeps the dogs under somewhat better control.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25604 on: February 21, 2014, 01:53:59 PM »
... she had been so hateful to the animal control officer in the past and he hated her so bad that he put the dog to sleep as soon as DH dropped it off.   ...

Oh no.  That's so sad.  Would your DH have taken the dog to animal control if he had known they were going to immediately kill it?  Seems like the wrong 'animal' was punished here!  Maybe next time DH should take HER to animal control instead of the dog!