Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5387388 times)

Friday

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #25605 on: February 21, 2014, 03:56:44 PM »
I see you live next to my former neighbor.... always wondered where she went!  Mine only had two dogs, and after they lunged at me (no fence) when I was going to my car, I made an offer to pay to finish the already started fence.

She went off on me and even called me the C* word.  Then, that night, her husband came to my house to talk to my husband, "man to man" about MY behavior....  :o

TeamBhakta

« Reply #25606 on: February 21, 2014, 09:49:56 PM »
The store I work at has an annoying policy of keeping most of the checkouts closed, until the lines get ridiculously long & people become cranky. At which point they "generously" ::) open one more. Today I had to buy 8 different products for my store demo, most of which were perishable. And the first 2 checkouts had very long, so I went to the 24 items or less line. To save time & not hold up the line behind me, I gave the cashier one box of each product & told her how many I was buying.

Unfortunately, every time I told the cashier what number to ring up an SS behind me would announce "*snotty tone* She's up tp 4! 10! 24! Oh my god!" I finally got fed up and said in my politest "I would go off on you if I didn't work here" tone, "That is unnecessary. The other lines are closed / backed up. I'm not trying to be rude, but I don't have a choice. I'm trying to get this rang up as fast as possible. If I could use another line I would, but I can't." SS then claimed he was trying to be helpful, "cuz lots of people usually break the rules & bring more than 24 items into this line." I'm hoping someone dinged his car door while he was in the store

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25607 on: February 21, 2014, 10:15:53 PM »
I see you live next to my former neighbor.... always wondered where she went!  Mine only had two dogs, and after they lunged at me (no fence) when I was going to my car, I made an offer to pay to finish the already started fence.

She went off on me and even called me the C* word.  Then, that night, her husband came to my house to talk to my husband, "man to man" about MY behavior....  :o

I'd have loved to have been a little fly on the wall during that conversation!!  I'm guessing your husband didn't give quite the sympathetic "man to man" response the guy was anticipating!

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #25608 on: February 22, 2014, 10:00:16 AM »

I'd have loved to have been a little fly on the wall during that conversation!!  I'm guessing your husband didn't give quite the sympathetic "man to man" response the guy was anticipating!
Sounds like our idiot neighbors (2 different houses) that always wanted me punished for stopping their bully sons from beating up kids younger than them. The fact the victims and I were female meant we had no right to stop them. I shudder at what the wives must have gone through. (I gave one a huge shinner, but he this was after he had split my sister's lip, was sitting on her choking her. The only thing I got in trouble for was not reporting that he had choked sis. Parents called the doctor who said watch her and take her to the ER if she had trouble breathing.)
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Mary Lennox

« Reply #25609 on: February 22, 2014, 10:11:20 AM »
At a Subway sandwich shop, my BIL was buying sandwiches for his family. You start at one end of the counter, placing your order, and you follow the meal down to the register where you pay. As he was preparing to pay for his sandwiches, a random woman walked up to the register and said "I want two cookies," interrupting his transaction. The Subway employee mistakenly assumed the woman was 'with' my BIL and tried to charge him for the cookies. He had to bluntly say "I don't know this woman. She's not with me. She's cutting the line," before the clerk grasped to take the charge off his bill. The woman never looked at BIL and never said a word in acknowledgement of the line she was cutting (there were many other people in line behind BIL).

Definitely rude behaviour in her attitude, but at our local Subways, we're told that if you aren't getting a sub (ie just a cookie or a drink), you can cut to straight to the register. Of course, you're still meant to wait until the person ahead of you is finished with their transaction first!

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #25610 on: February 22, 2014, 11:07:26 AM »
This is from Customers Suck. No offensive language in OP, but I can't vouch for other posts.

Passenger demands to use flight attendant's personal cell phone

Other posters happily weighed in with suggestions on what the flight attendant could have told the passenger. My favorite: "This is not the Droid you're looking for..."

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Jocelyn

« Reply #25611 on: February 22, 2014, 11:11:08 AM »
At a Subway sandwich shop, my BIL was buying sandwiches for his family. You start at one end of the counter, placing your order, and you follow the meal down to the register where you pay. As he was preparing to pay for his sandwiches, a random woman walked up to the register and said "I want two cookies," interrupting his transaction. The Subway employee mistakenly assumed the woman was 'with' my BIL and tried to charge him for the cookies. He had to bluntly say "I don't know this woman. She's not with me. She's cutting the line," before the clerk grasped to take the charge off his bill. The woman never looked at BIL and never said a word in acknowledgement of the line she was cutting (there were many other people in line behind BIL).

Definitely rude behaviour in her attitude, but at our local Subways, we're told that if you aren't getting a sub (ie just a cookie or a drink), you can cut to straight to the register. Of course, you're still meant to wait until the person ahead of you is finished with their transaction first!
I would be really, really annoyed if I were approaching the register with my sandwich, and they allowed someone to dart in ahead of me because they were buying a cookie. Yes, if the sandwich customer is staring at the sign, trying to decide which sandwich to buy, but to be able to cut in ahead of sandwich buying customers? Especially a long line of them?

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #25612 on: February 22, 2014, 11:21:47 AM »

I would be really, really annoyed if I were approaching the register with my sandwich, and they allowed someone to dart in ahead of me because they were buying a cookie. Yes, if the sandwich customer is staring at the sign, trying to decide which sandwich to buy, but to be able to cut in ahead of sandwich buying customers? Especially a long line of them?

Most of the Subways I've been in recently don't really go fast enough that letting someone cut the line to buy a couple of cookies would make much of a difference.

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #25613 on: February 22, 2014, 11:39:44 AM »

Interesting. Att all subways I've been to, you pay when you place the order rather than when you receive it.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #25614 on: February 22, 2014, 02:06:30 PM »
When my family travels, it is often 1000 mile and back trips, and we do not do fast food deep fried stuff, so Subway is a decent enough "healthy" place to eat.  Never fast, though.

And in the several states, we always pay after.  Ours are almost always deep south/south/southwest/west.  Not north, yet...

As far as snowflake stories, friend and I were out yardsaling this morn, and kept running into the same passel of kids (10 and under) poorly behaved, and harassing their mom to buy everything in sight.  At least two of the sales LOST money because I saw people with chosen items try to get the owner's attention, but they were having to deal with mom and the kids haggling, so the customers eventually set items back on tables and left. 

Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

HorseFreak

« Reply #25615 on: February 22, 2014, 06:26:16 PM »
The local grocery store was completely packed this afternoon being a Saturday. I picked up 5 items and hit the registers which were unusually backed up even for this time of day. I got in the 10 Items or Fewer lane without really looking at why it was so much shorter: a woman was standing at the end of the lane without unloading her groceries examining her prescriptions as the person in front of her finished their transaction. She then proceeded to slowly load her groceries onto the belt with one hand (the other clutching her prescriptions), being sure to group her 40+ items and spread them out along the belt with 20" between. I couldn't really understand her technique since she put 5 bottles of hand soap together and then drain cleaner with her vegetables.

The poor cashier could have gotten 4 or 5 small orders out in the time it took this woman to finish her transaction and ask for assistance to her car (always provided for the regular lanes, rarely to never for the express).

wonderfullyanonymous

« Reply #25616 on: February 22, 2014, 07:29:18 PM »
I had a customer tell me we had poor customer service for not having the express lane counters have belts.  I said ma'am, these are express lanes for 20 items or less. If they had a belt, it would encourage people to bring full carts over here more than they do.

A side note...To the not an SS at all ever customer. I just got done ringing out a couple.e. Both were on electric carts, not sure if they really needed them, but she sure shouldn't have been driving it. She started driving forward, and even though he was telling her to stop, she kept going. Did she stop when she hit the rack hanging off a fridge, nope she kept going until she had shoved the whole rack off the fridge and on to the floor. Says, "oh, sorry."  Turns and detours down a different line while he is berating her.   

NaSSC, comes running from not sure where and helped me clean up the mess left from the destroyer.  I couldn't thank him enough, stuff like that just does not happen often enough.

Psychopoesie

« Reply #25617 on: February 22, 2014, 10:42:05 PM »
Not sure this is SS but approaching it.

Ducked into the nearby gelato place on the way home one evening. The shop assistant had just asked me what I wanted (confess I was going for 3 flavours) when a horde of kids came in, mostly 4-5 year olds by the look of them. Ok, maybe not a horde but several of them.  :)

No surprise they rushed straight for the icecream display. They pushed in front of me and pressed their faces up against the glass. By doing that, they covered up the names of all the flavours (there are about 20 or so different kinds). So I couldn't see to order (was going for non-standard flavours which change week to week).

I didn't feel comfortable saying anything to the kids because, well, that's the parent's job. Thankfully, the shop assistant did ask the kids to step back when they showed now signs of moving. There was an adult who seemed to be technically in charge. His contribution was to tell the kids they could have only one scoop each.

When I walked outside, there were two couples standing near the door having a chat. One of the women turned to me with a smile and said sorry before turning back to her conversation (I didn't reply).

For me the parents seemed somewhat SS. At least one must have seen that their child/ren's behaviour was causing issues and did nothing to fix it. The kids were just doing what kids would predictably do released into an ice cream shop without any guidance on how to behave.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #25618 on: February 22, 2014, 10:52:33 PM »
We were waiting at the customer service desk, while someone was in front of us. The couple in line ahead of us had a very young child, and they stood with their backs to her, which was a little odd, then didn't notice that she kept twirling in circles and stepped on my feet and my son's feet. All that time (10 minutes), the parents paid no attention to her.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25619 on: February 22, 2014, 11:30:04 PM »
We were waiting at the customer service desk, while someone was in front of us. The couple in line ahead of us had a very young child, and they stood with their backs to her, which was a little odd, then didn't notice that she kept twirling in circles and stepped on my feet and my son's feet. All that time (10 minutes), the parents paid no attention to her.
I think under those circumstances, you are entitled to say "Honey, please be careful.  If you step on our feet again you could fall and hurt yourself."  And if you spoke a little louder than usual, well, the parents MIGHT get the message.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~