Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5263996 times)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #25620 on: February 22, 2014, 10:52:33 PM »
We were waiting at the customer service desk, while someone was in front of us. The couple in line ahead of us had a very young child, and they stood with their backs to her, which was a little odd, then didn't notice that she kept twirling in circles and stepped on my feet and my son's feet. All that time (10 minutes), the parents paid no attention to her.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25621 on: February 22, 2014, 11:30:04 PM »
We were waiting at the customer service desk, while someone was in front of us. The couple in line ahead of us had a very young child, and they stood with their backs to her, which was a little odd, then didn't notice that she kept twirling in circles and stepped on my feet and my son's feet. All that time (10 minutes), the parents paid no attention to her.
I think under those circumstances, you are entitled to say "Honey, please be careful.  If you step on our feet again you could fall and hurt yourself."  And if you spoke a little louder than usual, well, the parents MIGHT get the message.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #25622 on: February 23, 2014, 06:57:29 AM »
First time - Honey you need to stop stepping on my feet
2nd time - Excuse me but your daughter is stepping on my feet due to a skin condition this will cause the skin to rip open and bleed you need to stop her. (usually stops there with either apologies or sweetums you need to stay away from crazy lady - Honestly I don't give a flip.)
3rd  - ask for a manager to deal with neglected child who is causing physical damage to another customer.

One of the managers of the grocery store I go to banned a woman for repeatedly running the back of her cart into my heel causing a bad fissure.

Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

CakeEater

« Reply #25623 on: February 23, 2014, 07:28:06 AM »
2nd time - Excuse me but your daughter is stepping on my feet due to a skin condition this will cause the skin to rip open and bleed you need to stop her. (usually stops there with either apologies or sweetums you need to stay away from crazy lady - Honestly I don't give a flip.)
3rd  - ask for a manager to deal with neglected child who is causing physical damage to another customer.

One of the managers of the grocery store I go to banned a woman for repeatedly running the back of her cart into my heel causing a bad fissure.

Neglected child? Sure the child in the story was annoying, but neglected?

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #25624 on: February 23, 2014, 07:39:39 AM »

Neglected child? Sure the child in the story was annoying, but neglected?

Neglected as in the parents were not paying any attention to her behaviour.

Redsoil

« Reply #25625 on: February 23, 2014, 08:11:34 AM »
Not quite sure why this would be a manager's problem.  Don't they have enough to deal with?  I can't imagine any "neglectful" parent paying much attention to someone from the store.  I doubt it's in the job description to deal with this sort of thing.  Especially with such types of parents being all "RAWR" at anyone else trying to tell them "how to parent".  Sounds like a bad idea.

Personally, I tend to think people should man up and simply deal with situations such as this themselves, as adults should, not "run to mum" (so to speak) and make it someone else's problem.  Either say something to the parents, the child, or remove yourself from the situation.  Life happens - it's up to us to manage it.

Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

Redsoil

« Reply #25626 on: February 23, 2014, 08:15:17 AM »
BTW - ladyknight - not meant as a shot at you at all.  I simply get tired of hearing replies here saying "make a staff member handle *situation*", when it's something that really shouldn't involve them - it's not their job (unless things are very different in the US, which is always possible).
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

rachellenore

« Reply #25627 on: February 23, 2014, 08:55:50 AM »
BTW - ladyknight - not meant as a shot at you at all.  I simply get tired of hearing replies here saying "make a staff member handle *situation*", when it's something that really shouldn't involve them - it's not their job (unless things are very different in the US, which is always possible).

Things are VERY different in the US. If two customers start fighting, it only reflects poorly on the store. Many customers are lightning quick to report an unrelated problem to corporate and the store will get blamed for not having intervened to prevent this.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25628 on: February 23, 2014, 11:29:23 AM »
Somebody causing me physical harm that won't back off?  You bet I'm getting management involved.

I look fine the vast majority of the time but if my fibro was flaring and some kid kept bumping into me?  I'd be in a lot of pain.  And if the parents won't take care of the kid, I'm going to looking for some help.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

perpetua

« Reply #25629 on: February 23, 2014, 12:20:42 PM »
I actually agree with you, Outdoor Girl, but what would management do in that situation?

If they don't want to upset one customer by letting a kid bump into them, are they going to risk upsetting another (parents of the bumpy child) by telling them to knock it off? Which customer do they upset, if it's all about keeping corporate happy?

While we're on the subject: the 'let a staff member handle it' thing that I can't stand is when someone's child throws up in a restaurant or a shop and they parent expects some poor hapless minimum wage waitress kid to clean it up. I just think that's dreadful.

HoneyBee42

« Reply #25630 on: February 23, 2014, 12:29:10 PM »
Special Snowflake in the parking lot.

Now this is an angled lot (so there is a definite right and wrong way to go down each aisle ... it's obvious from the angle of the parked vehicles and the giant painted arrows on the pavement at each end of the row).  I am driving down one (correct direction), or in other words towards the store.  Then I see the SS's car.  I parked a bit further out so I wouldn't have to pass him in my car, because SS was about halfway out of the parking spot into the driving lane.  No one was in the vehicle.  When we walked in, we see that there is a second car which had apparently started to pull through, but quit with about three feet of the back end of their car still in the spot that is half-occupied by the SS.  So we have one person who apparently is angled to leave by driving the wrong way down the next aisle (because it's a drive up--or away from building--lane) who has half-occupied two parking places, with a half empty parking spot in front of *that* car.  Then we have the other half of the parking spot occupied by the SS, who has also effectively cut the driving area in half.

Yes, there are tons of other parking spots.  What was so special about *that* one that he had to have it even with it being half-occupied and not enough room for his full vehicle, I have not the slightest clue.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #25631 on: February 23, 2014, 01:42:39 PM »
BG - Sis works for a hospital and is on call 1 weekend a month. BIL often has to do some work on Saturdays.

Sis and I were at Brett's basketball game. They are in kinder and play 2 games at a time on the court across the short end of the rectangle. The SS was on the other side of Sis. Now sis and I grew up going to both pro and University of Houston Cougar games and Sis played several sports. We are cheering the kids on. SS asks us to please be quiet she is trying to have a conversation - in a gym with two youth league Basketball games going on? Our reply was we are here to cheer the kids on.

Then sis who has her work phone out on her knee gets a work call. She takes the call and walks out of the gym to solve the problem (Most of the time she can solve the problems over the phone.) She had to call a doctor, left a message came back to the game. About 20 min later the doctor called back - she left and took care of what ever it was.

SS leaned over to me and said shame some people can't get off their phones to pay attention to their kids. I gave her my best icy smile and said, "She is dealing with a medical emergency at her job." woman huffed and turned back to her daughter. The funny part was I was on my phone more than sis taking pictures of the kids.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

SingMeAway

• Formerly Mrs. Mouse
« Reply #25632 on: February 23, 2014, 05:05:16 PM »
DH came home with one today. The church he attends is orthodox and, for the most part, men and women sit on opposite sides of the church. If there is a couple with kids, it's not unusual for the kids to move back and forth between mom and dad.

Today, DH got there a bit late and was sitting on the aisle. There was a dad further in the pew with two little girls about 4 and 5 who not only wouldn't keep quiet, but kept running back between mom and dad frequently. Everytime they moved out of DH's pew, they managed to step all over his feet. He finally stopped moving out of the kids' way so they had to squeeze behind him and therefore couldn't stomp on his stocking feet (he'd taken his boots off in preparation for communion) with their winter boots on.

They were also making enough noise, without any parental correction, that the priest had to stop mass not once, but twice. The first time, the priest actually interrupted a fairly important prayer to remind people that they do have a crying room in the back and to please use it. The second time, he just stopped speaking and let the silence speak for itself. The father finally took the youngest, and noisiest child, out.

medowynd

« Reply #25633 on: February 24, 2014, 05:28:12 AM »
SS at the parking garage.

I pulled into a garage near a tourist location, so lots of cars going entering and exiting.  I get two car lengths into the garage and notice a red car blocking the aisle.  Two women walk up and start talking to the driver of the red car.  Meantime, traffic is building up, because no one can get through the garage.  I honk and one of the women waves at us in a dismissive manner.  Fortunately, a security guard is in the area.  She walks over and tells the car to move, car pulls in and traffic proceeds.  The SS continues her conversation, while the red car is pulled into a handicap location.  I wonder how long before the security guard was ready to give the driver a citation.

A second SS.  I am driving through Old Town Sacramento with cobbled streets, hundreds of pedestrians and a few on street parking spaces.  SS driver in front of me, pulls half past a car that is attempting to back out.  She expects me to back up with cars behind me and pedestrians jaywalking everywhere.  I do back up a few feet and then sit there waiting for the SS to realize she cannot get into the space.  Once again, security guards to the rescue.  They walk over and insist that the driver get moving, they allow her to park in a handicap space and I escape before I have to wait for the other driver to pull out.  I have no idea if the SS was able to get back to the space she wanted.

Mediancat

• Shibboleth of Shadowland
« Reply #25634 on: February 24, 2014, 08:20:29 AM »
Quote from: kherbert
Sounds like our idiot neighbors (2 different houses) that always wanted me punished for stopping their bully sons from beating up kids younger than them. The fact the victims and I were female meant we had no right to stop them.

Huh?

Because you're a woman you need to let men beat you up?

That's a horrendous mindset, going beyond Special Snowflake and into simply "evil."

Rob
"In all of mankind's history, there has never been more damage done than by someone who 'thought they were doing the right thing'." -- Lucy, Peanuts