News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• May 30, 2015, 06:36:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 6434715 times)

Virg

• Super Hero!
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #25680 on: February 27, 2014, 04:26:09 PM »
MommyPenguin wrote:

"She always wondered if she was throwing off their inventory, by buying huge amounts (so that it triggered a "buy more of this!" in the inventory management program) and then not buying any for a few weeks."

She was triggering an inventory control program, but that's not a bad thing given how she shopped, and unless it was an item that spoiled quickly on the shelf having them buy a bunch to offset the demand she created is not a problem.  To tie it back to the thread, I don't think she was doing anything SSish to buy like this, and she shouldn't change her shopping habits just because of inventory software.  The software will adapt to her habits quite nicely, as it's designed to recognize stuff like this.  In fact, she'd be doing them a favor to pick a behavior and stick to it so the software can lock down the pattern.

Virg

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #25681 on: February 27, 2014, 05:08:39 PM »
Ar thread in the 'family and children' section reminded me of this story.

We moved to a new city when I was about 5 and my mother wanted to be friends with the mother of a female child about the same age who lived in our neighborhood.  I knew the girl from school and did not like her at all.  I am male, and at that time had a fairly neat room, because I really do like everything in its place.

Mom invited the girl to our house to play...

The girl went through my dresser drawers and threw all my clothing onto the floor, tossed a bunch of my things around, broke some of them and then demanded that I give her others.  I couldn't stop her from doing any of this - asking her not to didn't work and I knew that I wasn't supposed to touch or hit her - all I could do was refuse to give her the things she demanded.

So then she went out, told my mom I was being a bad host and went home.

Mom was already angry about my being a poor host, so when she came in and saw the state of my room she got even angrier - how dare I make a mess and break my stuff and then lie about "perfect neighbor girl" being the one to do so. 

From then on, mom thought of me as a messy liar.  The only good thing about it was she felt so embarrassed at how horrible I was that she never invited 'perfect neighbor girl" over to the house again.

The special snowflakiest part?  Perfect neighbor girl couldn't understand why I was not interested in her when we got into Junior High and High School. 

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25682 on: February 27, 2014, 06:31:17 PM »

We moved to a new city when I was about 5 and my mother wanted to be friends with the mother of a female child about the same age who lived in our neighborhood.  I knew the girl from school and did not like her at all.  I am male, and at that time had a fairly neat room, because I really do like everything in its place.

The girl went through my dresser drawers and threw all my clothing onto the floor, tossed a bunch of my things around, broke some of them and then demanded that I give her others.  I couldn't stop her from doing any of this - asking her not to didn't work and I knew that I wasn't supposed to touch or hit her - all I could do was refuse to give her the things she demanded.

Mom was already angry about my being a poor host, so when she came in and saw the state of my room she got even angrier - how dare I make a mess and break my stuff and then lie about "perfect neighbor girl" being the one to do so. 

From then on, mom thought of me as a messy liar.  The only good thing about it was she felt so embarrassed at how horrible I was that she never invited 'perfect neighbor girl" over to the house again.

The special snowflakiest part?  Perfect neighbor girl couldn't understand why I was not interested in her when we got into Junior High and High School.
So for years and years, before AND after Perfect's visit, the condition of your room wasn't evident?  Did your mother think that you did all that all the time, and just stuffed everything under the bed before she came in?
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Common sense is not a gift, but a curse.  Because then
you have to deal with all the people who don't have it.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #25683 on: February 27, 2014, 06:38:20 PM »

I once gave some diapers that were the next size up from newborn and a small outfit to a mother-to-be whose husband worked with me.  She told me my gift was a "dumb idea."    Later, her husband thanked me  and told me that the diapers came in very handy, as they discovered late at night that Junior no longer fit into the diapers he'd fit into that morning.

I tend to go for the larger size stuff for baby showers myself.  Those cute little newborn things are not going to fit all that long.

I once gave someone two teeny, teeny outfits as a baby present. She told me when she came back from maternity leave that those were the only little bitty outfits she had--everyone else gave her bigger sizes. And she'd focused only on sleepers, etc., for the smallest size.

Ever since, I give at least one teeny, tiny outfit as a baby present.

Bexx27

• Striving to meet the minimum requirements of social acceptability
« Reply #25684 on: February 27, 2014, 06:53:36 PM »

I once gave some diapers that were the next size up from newborn and a small outfit to a mother-to-be whose husband worked with me.  She told me my gift was a "dumb idea."    Later, her husband thanked me  and told me that the diapers came in very handy, as they discovered late at night that Junior no longer fit into the diapers he'd fit into that morning.

I tend to go for the larger size stuff for baby showers myself.  Those cute little newborn things are not going to fit all that long.

I once gave someone two teeny, teeny outfits as a baby present. She told me when she came back from maternity leave that those were the only little bitty outfits she had--everyone else gave her bigger sizes. And she'd focused only on sleepers, etc., for the smallest size.

Ever since, I give at least one teeny, tiny outfit as a baby present.

We had the same problem. My babies run small. I have a 7 week old who is still in newborn clothes and the 0-3 month stuff is really too big on her. But we only have a handful of clothes in newborn size, so I am doing laundry all the time. She has dozens of outfits in each of the larger sizes up to 12 months.
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these. -George Washington Carver

Coruscation

« Reply #25685 on: February 27, 2014, 07:11:06 PM »

When giving clothes as a shower gift, I go for the larger sizes.  Eventualy the kid will grow into it.

Everyone does. I got no really small things when my daughter was born.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25686 on: February 27, 2014, 07:28:34 PM »

When giving clothes as a shower gift, I go for the larger sizes.  Eventualy the kid will grow into it.

I did, for DD2. My sister lovingly hand-knitted a cute little bunting, with cable stitching down the sides, and a me-too sweater for DD1.  DD2 wore it for maybe a total of an hour.  Two wearings, both resulting in diaper blowouts, and by the time it was washed and dried the second time, the baby was too big for it.
Common sense is not a gift, but a curse.  Because then
you have to deal with all the people who don't have it.

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #25687 on: February 27, 2014, 08:15:28 PM »

When Nephew2 was born, he was almost 11 pounds, and didn't even fit into the clothes saved from his almost 10 pound brother.  He topped out at 6'5".

Bluenomi

« Reply #25688 on: February 27, 2014, 08:19:43 PM »
For every baby who is in tiny clothes for ages there is one who lasts in them for maybe a week. The problem is knowing which baby is which!

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #25689 on: February 27, 2014, 08:28:45 PM »

So for years and years, before AND after Perfect's visit, the condition of your room wasn't evident?  Did your mother think that you did all that all the time, and just stuffed everything under the bed before she came in?

Pretty much.

BarensMom

« Reply #25690 on: February 27, 2014, 09:40:35 PM »

Pretty much.

Did you ever set her straight about the neighbor girl and the damage to your room?

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #25691 on: February 27, 2014, 10:35:46 PM »

I always figure that, in a pinch, a baby can wear larger clothes.  But not smaller.  It did drive me crazy when they were little in large clothes, though, and they'd bring their feet up to their chest and the legs would come out of the leg holes.  So you'd be carrying your child and she'd look like a tiny double amputee, sleeper legs dangling.  It didn't seem to bother her much, though.
Emily is 8 years old!  1/07
Jenny is 6 years old!  10/08
Charlotte is 4 years old!  8/10
Megan is 2 years old!  10/12
Lydia is 4 months old!  12/14

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #25692 on: February 28, 2014, 02:07:27 AM »

Did you ever set her straight about the neighbor girl and the damage to your room?

I told her what happened at the time.  She decided I was lying.  Once my mother decides something is the truth, she will not change her mind about it.

BarensMom

« Reply #25693 on: February 28, 2014, 09:20:40 AM »

I told her what happened at the time.  She decided I was lying.  Once my mother decides something is the truth, she will not change her mind about it.

I meant to say, as an adult?

There were a number of things that I had to tell my mother about her "church friends" and how they treated me.  She didn't believe me as a child, but when I told her again once as an adult, she realized I was telling the truth and apologized.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #25694 on: February 28, 2014, 10:38:30 AM »
^ My mother doesn't believe anything negative about anyone but her children. And I am 45 years old.