Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5650840 times)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #25710 on: March 02, 2014, 02:05:58 PM »
SS at the charity thrift shop the other stay went up and asked if they could "go in the back" and see if there was something that they were looking for instead of waiting for it to be processed after donation & brought up to the sales floor.

I kept wondering if they thought that there was identical except for color or size stuff back there, like they used to keep in retail stores before "just in time" shipping became the business model due to computers being able to track and extrapolate demand trends.  Because I am pretty sure that the Goodwill charity shops don't work like businesses that BUY wholesale to sell at retail prices....
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #25711 on: March 02, 2014, 07:04:02 PM »
SS I like to loudly expound upon my political ideas while in a restaurant at dinner, so that all people in the room have to listen to me. Yeah, that was not fun at all.

We persisted in enjoying our dinner and came up with theories of why SS was doing so.

snowfire

« Reply #25712 on: March 02, 2014, 11:25:19 PM »
The late teens/20ish idjit who just about ran me over on his skateboard at the shopping center the other day...right as he was rolling over the "No skateboards/rollerblades/rollerskates" signs on the sidewalk.  >:(  >:(

greencat

« Reply #25713 on: March 03, 2014, 01:01:31 AM »
I ran into a small flurry of special snowflake drivers who, while stopped at a redlight, decided that they did not want to be in the turn-only-into-the-shopping-plaza lane they were in, and it was absolutely necessary for them to merge over into the lane of traffic next to them.  Who cares that my large gold minivan was already stopped in the space needed for that sudden change of heart?  They then proceeded to nearly come to a stop in front of me on the on-ramp to the highway...

Otterpop

« Reply #25714 on: March 03, 2014, 10:51:02 AM »
Youse guys are gonna LOVE this.

I live in a terraced house, with some on-street parking, and more room in a little 'car park' area at the end of the road. Usually, the on-street parking is taken up by about six in the evening, but pretty empty during the day, and there's always loads of room in the car park area. The car park area is less than thirty seconds walk from my front door, and there are only two houses further away from it than us, resulting in a maximum walking time of I would guess around forty seconds. You will need to know this to appreciate the SS-ness.

Last week, on my day off, someone knocks on my door mid-afternoon. I'd worked the day before, so had got up late and hadn't got dressed yet - I still had pajamas and slippers on - but slung a dressing gown on and went to answer the door. On the other side, there's a man - I'd guess around 35, in jeans and a blazer - looking surly. He asks (rudely!) 'Is your car parked on the street?' (Unusually for that time of day, there were several cars parked in front of houses, although there was still room for a couple on the end of the row - I looked afterwards.)

I'm a bit taken aback, so I ask why. He repeats, still rude, 'Is your car parked on the street?' I figure at this point, maybe a rogue bin has attacked someone's car or someone's left a window open in the rain and he's just trying to let someone know, even if he's not doing it very nicely, so I say 'Yes, why?'

He says, 'You need to move it.' I'm seriously wondering what on earth is going on now, and I'm certainly not going to anything this very rude man is telling - not asking, telling - me to do without a very good explanation. I channel the polite spine spirit of Ehell, and say as politely as I can manage, 'Why do I need to move my car?'

This is the bit where I had to restrain myself from laughing. His reply, still surly: 'It's raining and my mother doesn't want to walk from the parking area in the rain.' I'm so surprised I blurt 'excuse me?' without really thinking, and he repeats himself - 'My mother doesn't want to walk that far in the rain. You need to move your car so I can park there.' I say, 'I'm sorry, I can't help you' and shut the door.

I mean, REALLY?!?! There are so many things wrong with this my brain hurts. I didn't recognize this guy AT ALL, and I know most of my neighbours by sight at least, so I'm assuming they were visiting someone - but who goes knocking on doors in the middle of the afternoon (or at all, really) with this kind of demand? Your mother doesn't want to walk thirty seconds in the rain, so you want ME to go out of my house in the rain, move my car, and then walk back to my house in the same rain your mother has such a dread of? IN MY PAJAMAS AND DRESSING GOWN? I don't think so, buddy. She's not going to dissolve.

And, as I mentioned, there WAS still some on-street parking left. Plus, he doesn't know which one my car is - for all he knows it's the furthest away from where they want to be. The entitlement, it boggles.

Edited because I can spell, promise.

Oh my!  That took some chutzpah.  I'll bet he knocked on several doors and you were the only one who answered, so therefore YOU must move.  Glad he didn't know which car was yours.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #25715 on: March 03, 2014, 03:14:04 PM »
Didn't see the SS Gym Jerkus - but ran into the results of their misbehavior.

Already been chewed gum stuck to the hooks by the swimming pool & whirlpool tub (intended to save your towel from getting wet - not your gum) and the plastic "blister" from a pack of razors...by the whirlpool.  Which means someone took a razor into the whirlpool tub to shave.... 

I could not bring myself to finish my aquatic workout and went to go shower, shampoo, and clean up - having brought my own shampoo, conditioner, and blow dryer (partly because you don't know who's been using the gym's blow dryer and partly because some of the gyms don't have working blow dryers to use - with the air temp at freezing early this morning, I'm not running about with wet hair).

I'm not paranoid so much as I really want to have stuff that doesn't dry my skin out too much.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

GregariousIntrovert

« Reply #25716 on: March 04, 2014, 09:12:44 AM »
I never have the "luck" to run into SS, but I finally have a story! 
On Saturday I went to the bank, and just as I was getting to the counter, two small children ran in, promptly climbed on some chairs, reached AROUND the counter and grabbed a tub of suckers, and helped themselves to several each.  They moved so quick, it looked like it wasn't the first time they had done it!  The parents wandered in shortly after, but by that point they were running around, going in and out of empty offices, and then pulled down and entire stack of deposit slips from the self serve counter.  I think there was one half hearted "stop that" from SS parent the whole time this was going on.  I couldn't believe none of the staff did anything!  I left before they did, but I wonder if they caused any further destruction.

Xandraea

« Reply #25717 on: March 04, 2014, 10:09:24 AM »
On Saturday I went to the bank, and just as I was getting to the counter, two small children ran in, promptly climbed on some chairs, reached AROUND the counter and grabbed a tub of suckers, and helped themselves to several each.  They moved so quick, it looked like it wasn't the first time they had done it!  The parents wandered in shortly after, but by that point they were running around, going in and out of empty offices, and then pulled down and entire stack of deposit slips from the self serve counter.  I think there was one half hearted "stop that" from SS parent the whole time this was going on.  I couldn't believe none of the staff did anything!  I left before they did, but I wonder if they caused any further destruction.

I will never understand parents who don't teach their children how to behave properly in public. Let them tear up your own home, if you wish, but teach them to respect other people, other people's things, and other places. I suspect in many places, out of fear of being sued or something, businesses do not allow their employees to act on any situation like this. Wouldn't want to risk offending the customer, after all, by suggesting her kids keep their muddy boots off the chairs, and stay out of private offices.

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #25718 on: March 04, 2014, 10:52:50 AM »
SS Parents on The Bus

Ms "I Can Sit Wherever and However I Like Because I Have a Pushchair". So in the UK, our buses have foldaway chairs, usually side-sitting against the windows.  These are specifically for people with wheelchairs or pushchairs/prams.  If there are several prams, it is expected (unwritten rule) that the pushchairs are fitted as close together as possible (forward facing so the child faces into the aisle) and the parent stands.  This may or may not work well, depending on how full the bus is. Anyway, I am sitting down next to DS in his buggy. SS Mum comes on the bus, with her child in a huge buggy.  I stand, seeing that there is just no way I will be able to sit down next to that great big thing.  (For the record, usually if I am getting the bus I will use the smaller buggy because it is easily folded down and a lot smaller and easier to get on and off a bus).  SS Mum says as I am moving to stand  in front of DS to give her maximum room: "Can you move your buggy?" I politely explained the buggy was as far in as it could get unfortunately. She didn't appear to like that response at all, so instead of doing what I had done and pushing her buggy in to make maximum room for anyone else getting on the bus who may have had a wheelchair or pram, she decided to put her huge buggy sideways on (taking up all 3 remaining seats and the rest of the room).  This meant the driver had to turn away the next person with a pushchair as there was no room.  There would have been room had Ms Entitled not decided to put her buggy the most awkward way possible.

Ms "My Children Can Say or Do Whatever They Want" The rules do not apply to these families.  The bus says "No eating or drinking."  They bring huge quantities of "Golden Arch" meals and the (three) kids (ranging from about 3 up to about 6 or 7) proceed to messily eat the burgers and leave a foul mess behind.  They drink the Pepsi and make revolting burping noises afterwards, whooping and hollering, shouting for their "kids meal toys". When they get such toys, it's not what they ****ing want. Mum never tells them to stop swearing or indeed to sit down nicely on the bus.  Neither (obviously) does she feel like teaching them that rules actually apply to all, otherwise she wouldn't have allowed them to eat the meals on the bus in the first place!!!!!! The mess that family left behind when they got off the bus was just beyond reproach.  I asked the driver why he didn't throw them off the bus? He's not allowed to throw minors off a bus for any reason.

:-\
Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Carotte

« Reply #25719 on: March 04, 2014, 11:03:34 AM »
Sadly some people are just impervious to rules, to the point of not understanding why rules even exists..
Here it's actually written that if the bus is crowded or there are more than one pushchair they have to be folded and where they have to go is clearly stated (middle of the bus, facing the window, like I think you described).

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25720 on: March 04, 2014, 11:57:27 AM »
A good friend of mine, who works in retail, has said most of the times these kinds of kids come in, the moms look just burnt out and tired, thus the half hearted "Stop that", that is, if it's said at all.   Especially if it's during a long school break, or worse, if the kids have been cooped up at home due to bad weather and she's at her wits end.

But that sure wouldn't explain all the SS's out there.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

AfleetAlex

• Proud cat mom and Auntie
« Reply #25721 on: March 04, 2014, 02:28:47 PM »
The late teens/20ish idjit who just about ran me over on his skateboard at the shopping center the other day...right as he was rolling over the "No skateboards/rollerblades/rollerskates" signs on the sidewalk.  >:(  >:(

Not E-Hell approved, but when a kid on the college campus nearly ran us over on his skateboard, my outspoken college friend shouted cheerfully, "Speed on honey, hell's only half-full!"
I have a chronic case of foot-in-mouth disease.

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #25722 on: March 04, 2014, 04:15:37 PM »

If I had ever done anything like that as a youngster I would have immediately been "taken outside", which was family code for "you're going to get punished."  All my mother would have had to do was say, "Do I have to take you outside?"  and we were instantly angels.

emjo306

« Reply #25723 on: March 04, 2014, 04:58:44 PM »
I ran into a couple of snowflakes at the movie theatre last weekend. The movie was Anchorman 2; there was a couple in front of me who I am guessing did not see the first movie and were not enjoying the second installment...and were sure to make that fact known to the people they had come with (and the rest of the theatre). Some highlights (all at full conversational volume, if not louder):

- Husband to wife: "You never get to pick the movie again!", "Well, I guess it's time to catch up on my sleep!" "Anyone want more candy?"
- The wife was mostly exclaiming "This is so stupid/bad!", but found a few lines funny, which she immediately repeated back at full volume. Because, you know, we all might have missed it.
-"Hey, look, it's ______!" (There are many cameos in the movie)
-The husband would also randomly comment on certain "vintage" cars in the background

I would have moved, except I was in the middle of the back row and didn't want to disturb those around me. I understand it's a very silly movie that's not exactly an Oscar contender, but I came to hear/enjoy the movie, not your random commentary on it!

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25724 on: March 04, 2014, 06:44:06 PM »
I need to nominate a family member. I need to be vague, but, two stories. BG: said family member, I'll call Joan, is active duty military. Joan's SIL, who we will call Mary, works in the medical field at the local military hospital, but as a civilian. Joan's brother, and Mary's DH, is Peter. End BG

First one: Joan needed a routine medical procedure, but one for which anesthesia is given. She asked Mary if she could drive her home afterward. Mary, who is one of the nicest people I know, but sadly a pushover too, told her of course, but please make your appt for the end of the day as she couldn't leave or take Joan home until then. Night before, Joan calls Mary and tells her, hey, my procedure is at noon tomorrow. Mary says, Joan, I told you that won't work for me; you need to try and change it. Next day, around noonish, Mary is being paged to that unit. They wouldn't start Joan's  procedure until they confirmed she had a ride home, but nor could they do it then, and simply let her wait unti
  Mary was free. So after a bunch of phone calls, and inconvenience to everyone else, Joan was moved to the end of the day, causing the staff to work late,  and so on. Joan's reaction? "Oh they just moved me to later on"

Second one: Joan also needed a major surgical procedure. Took 9 hours and she was supposed to go home one day. Since.mary works in the same hospital, she visited Joan every day. Cue crying and carrying on about how she's scared and not ready to go home. Again, Mary goes to work, calling in favors, and so on, trying to get the med service to accept her once she was released by the surgical team.  So she does, and al is well, or so Mary thought. Midday, Joan calls her and Peter, saying hey, I'm going home today...in the meantime, huge winter storm is coming. They both have to drop everything, drive her and her multiple bags home, and barely made it before it began to snow.

Needless to say Peter isn't speaking to her, and Mary has vowed never to do anything else for her in that regard. Joan is a user, and never stops to think how her requests or actions will either affect or inconvenience others. It's all about her