Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5285521 times)

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #25725 on: March 04, 2014, 04:15:37 PM »
I never have the "luck" to run into SS, but I finally have a story! 
On Saturday I went to the bank, and just as I was getting to the counter, two small children ran in, promptly climbed on some chairs, reached AROUND the counter and grabbed a tub of suckers, and helped themselves to several each.  They moved so quick, it looked like it wasn't the first time they had done it!  The parents wandered in shortly after, but by that point they were running around, going in and out of empty offices, and then pulled down and entire stack of deposit slips from the self serve counter.  I think there was one half hearted "stop that" from SS parent the whole time this was going on.  I couldn't believe none of the staff did anything!  I left before they did, but I wonder if they caused any further destruction.

If I had ever done anything like that as a youngster I would have immediately been "taken outside", which was family code for "you're going to get punished."  All my mother would have had to do was say, "Do I have to take you outside?"  and we were instantly angels.

emjo306

« Reply #25726 on: March 04, 2014, 04:58:44 PM »
I ran into a couple of snowflakes at the movie theatre last weekend. The movie was Anchorman 2; there was a couple in front of me who I am guessing did not see the first movie and were not enjoying the second installment...and were sure to make that fact known to the people they had come with (and the rest of the theatre). Some highlights (all at full conversational volume, if not louder):

- Husband to wife: "You never get to pick the movie again!", "Well, I guess it's time to catch up on my sleep!" "Anyone want more candy?"
- The wife was mostly exclaiming "This is so stupid/bad!", but found a few lines funny, which she immediately repeated back at full volume. Because, you know, we all might have missed it.
-"Hey, look, it's ______!" (There are many cameos in the movie)
-The husband would also randomly comment on certain "vintage" cars in the background

I would have moved, except I was in the middle of the back row and didn't want to disturb those around me. I understand it's a very silly movie that's not exactly an Oscar contender, but I came to hear/enjoy the movie, not your random commentary on it!

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25727 on: March 04, 2014, 06:44:06 PM »
I need to nominate a family member. I need to be vague, but, two stories. BG: said family member, I'll call Joan, is active duty military. Joan's SIL, who we will call Mary, works in the medical field at the local military hospital, but as a civilian. Joan's brother, and Mary's DH, is Peter. End BG

First one: Joan needed a routine medical procedure, but one for which anesthesia is given. She asked Mary if she could drive her home afterward. Mary, who is one of the nicest people I know, but sadly a pushover too, told her of course, but please make your appt for the end of the day as she couldn't leave or take Joan home until then. Night before, Joan calls Mary and tells her, hey, my procedure is at noon tomorrow. Mary says, Joan, I told you that won't work for me; you need to try and change it. Next day, around noonish, Mary is being paged to that unit. They wouldn't start Joan's  procedure until they confirmed she had a ride home, but nor could they do it then, and simply let her wait unti
  Mary was free. So after a bunch of phone calls, and inconvenience to everyone else, Joan was moved to the end of the day, causing the staff to work late,  and so on. Joan's reaction? "Oh they just moved me to later on"

Second one: Joan also needed a major surgical procedure. Took 9 hours and she was supposed to go home one day. Since.mary works in the same hospital, she visited Joan every day. Cue crying and carrying on about how she's scared and not ready to go home. Again, Mary goes to work, calling in favors, and so on, trying to get the med service to accept her once she was released by the surgical team.  So she does, and al is well, or so Mary thought. Midday, Joan calls her and Peter, saying hey, I'm going home today...in the meantime, huge winter storm is coming. They both have to drop everything, drive her and her multiple bags home, and barely made it before it began to snow.

Needless to say Peter isn't speaking to her, and Mary has vowed never to do anything else for her in that regard. Joan is a user, and never stops to think how her requests or actions will either affect or inconvenience others. It's all about her

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #25728 on: March 05, 2014, 04:30:29 AM »
Very funny article about the people in Whole Foods stores. I particularly like Birdman. Warning for language though.

https://medium.com/race-class/d778c31aa9be

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25729 on: March 05, 2014, 08:03:06 AM »
Very funny article about the people in Whole Foods stores. I particularly like Birdman. Warning for language though.

We don't have a Whole Foods in the neighborhood but we have a Union Market.  That's about the same.  We shopped there once or twice when it first opened but no more. 

As in the story, staff members were very helpful and good-natured but, oh the customers! For some unknown reason, there are people who think paying  $10 a pound for potato salad makes them masters of the universe. 

It may not be hip but we'll stick with places like C-Town or Key Food. 

Xandraea

« Reply #25730 on: March 05, 2014, 08:49:50 AM »

We don't have a Whole Foods in the neighborhood but we have a Union Market.  That's about the same.  We shopped there once or twice when it first opened but no more. 

As in the story, staff members were very helpful and good-natured but, oh the customers! For some unknown reason, there are people who think paying  $10 a pound for potato salad makes them masters of the universe. 

It may not be hip but we'll stick with places like C-Town or Key Food.

While I was amused by the story linked above (Which was very well written!), I must say my experience at my local Whole Foods isn't nearly so horrible.  The worst part is the teeny tiny parking lot with three separate entrance/exits and only two somewhat narrow driving lanes plus the one perpendicular to the two, and the fact it's on a corner near a busy intersection, which makes getting in and out of it a hassle. Thus, I come from a direction where I can make a right-turn into the parking lot, and leave with another right-turn, thus avoiding the intersection.

Inside however, employees are helpful but not hovering, eager to give a sample taste of something at the deli counter, or suggest their favourite bakery item. There are times when there are a few people in each of the checkout lanes (which are all open; I'd like to see Target take a clue from this, and open more than 3 of its 30 checkout lanes when it's busy!), and I haven't seen anyone throw a fit about it. Say "excuse me", and someone apologetically moves their cart so you can pass through an aisle. Maybe it's because I live in a state known for being "nice". I don't go there often, but my experience has me tolerating the tiny parking lot now and then for my favourite chocolate bars or kale salad from the deli.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #25731 on: March 05, 2014, 09:04:32 AM »
The SS who pulled out of a shopping center parking lot across the open right lane and nearly into my vehicle in the left lane. Evasive maneuvers on my part are the only reason we didn't collide. He then pulled in to the high school to drop off his child.

I would have had the satisfaction of seeing him ticketed for having a child registered in school here and out of state tags if we had wrecked, but would have been late to work.  :-\

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #25732 on: March 05, 2014, 09:42:02 AM »

I've shopped in Whole Foods for years and have never run into anyone like this. I'm wondering just how much he exaggerated in the article.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #25733 on: March 05, 2014, 09:52:23 AM »

I've shopped in Whole Foods for years and have never run into anyone like this. I'm wondering just how much he exaggerated in the article.

I think it's attention bias -- if you're thinking about it, you're going to see it.

Zizi-K

« Reply #25734 on: March 05, 2014, 09:58:36 AM »
The writer of that Whole Foods screed is the rude one, as far as I'm concerned. One interaction that he mentions went like this: Based on past run-ins, he simply decided that all patrons of Whole Foods (excepting him, of course) were rude, entitled people. So, if someone's cart was in his way, instead of saying "excuse me" or going around, he would aggressively look them in the eyes and say "move. your. cart." I would be frozen for a moment in disbelief myself if someone said that to me! What is this, preemptive rudeness?? I think this line of thinking just gives him permission to be the nasty person he is underneath without the veneer of social graces that keeps it hidden. Gross.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25735 on: March 05, 2014, 10:21:46 AM »
I never have the "luck" to run into SS, but I finally have a story! 
On Saturday I went to the bank, and just as I was getting to the counter, two small children ran in, promptly climbed on some chairs, reached AROUND the counter and grabbed a tub of suckers, and helped themselves to several each.  They moved so quick, it looked like it wasn't the first time they had done it!  The parents wandered in shortly after, but by that point they were running around, going in and out of empty offices, and then pulled down and entire stack of deposit slips from the self serve counter.  I think there was one half hearted "stop that" from SS parent the whole time this was going on.  I couldn't believe none of the staff did anything!  I left before they did, but I wonder if they caused any further destruction.

I wonder if the kids were children of an employee and the other staff have become desensitized to their antics.

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #25736 on: March 05, 2014, 12:49:35 PM »
I have seen people stand in line, and then realize they need another item or two and expect the cashier to wait and hold the line.

My grocery store politely says, "we will put a hold on your order, please come wait in the same line and we will finish ringing you up when you come back in line and wait for the other customers."

:)

aid politely, logically, and it works!!

My SS encounter-

at CFA last week, saw several pre-teens with a sports shirt on that I realized was an out-reach program, so the kids were out with coaches and mentors, instead of parents. 

The kids way over dipped and topped in the free icecream toppings special of the night, and then tried to have an ice cream fight in the middle of customers. 

The lady that helps clean the floors and wipe tables and take out the trash was almost run over, as was a young mom carrying a tray and a baby. 

I used my "teacher voice" to say, "quiet feet, no running" and the ones that heard did stop and go sit down.  The others got told on to the manager, and he had them sit in a back section.  (They were too tall and big for the play area, but still tried to go in and play in such a way that they could break the equipment)

The coaches were just tired.  And the kids were excited. 

but playing ice cream tag and crashing the little kid play room was not a good idea!! 
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

MyFamily

« Reply #25737 on: March 05, 2014, 01:23:10 PM »
Well, I just had an interesting one.  One of my coworkers lost her father yesterday - it wasn't unexpected, but still sad.  This coworker (Cathy) does not get along with many of us, including and especially me.  Obviously, as far as I'm concerned, she lost her father, be nice and do what needs to be done in these types of situations (including covering many aspects of her job, without being asked to do so).  One of things that is not required of me, nor expected of me in anyway, is to have called another coworker (Danielle) and told her the news.  Honestly, I found out when Danielle's supervisor told me, so if anyone asked me, I'd have assumed he told Danielle as well.  Yeah, he didn't, and when I did send out the email to everyone with the funeral information, I got yelled at for not telling Danielle directly and that the only reason I didn't is because Cathy and I don't get along...oh, did I mention that Danielle and Cathy dislike each other even more than Cathy and I dislike each other?  I'm ignoring the entire thing, but I will admit to being upset at being accused of being so petty.

"The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones" - Solomon ibn Gabirol

MrTango

« Reply #25738 on: March 05, 2014, 02:30:15 PM »
The coaches were just tired. 

I have to admit: I hate hearing this excuse.

If you are supervising children in a public place, then you need to supervise the children.  It doesn't matter how tired you are, and it doesn't matter how high-energy the children are.  If you bring children into a public place, they're your responsibility.

Momiitz

« Reply #25739 on: March 05, 2014, 03:10:54 PM »
The coaches were just tired. 

I have to admit: I hate hearing this excuse.

If you are supervising children in a public place, then you need to supervise the children.  It doesn't matter how tired you are, and it doesn't matter how high-energy the children are.  If you bring children into a public place, they're your responsibility.

POD!