Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5514462 times)

Redneck Gravy

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #25830 on: March 14, 2014, 11:45:18 AM »
The special parking guest at the hospital last week...

The driver in the corner spot that parked over 3 feet from the left yellow line - across my yellow line so I had to squeeze into my car while banging my door repeatedly against the side of their vehicle.  There was no one on the other side of them because it was the last spot on the row - they were just STUPID.  I walked off the footage so I would not be exaggerating. 

I left an unapproved eHell note  (Do yellow lines mean anything to you ?) on their windshield

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25831 on: March 14, 2014, 11:46:28 AM »
A few years ago I belonged to a group that would attend ball games several times during the summer.   We had pretty good seats, in the open seating area between home and 3rd plate.  Not too far up.   I thought we were pretty lucky to have such good seats, and we all had a good time.

One of our group was invited as part of another event to attend a ball game, in one of the private suites.  These are usually owned by corporations.  The private suites are very nice - TV's, bars, free food and drinks, etc.

After this, the group member no longer wanted to attend ball games at all.   She said that after being in the suite, she realized how awful regular seating was and it just wasn't fun anymore.   Since she didn't have access to a private suite, she just dropped out and didn't come anymore.

I'd MUCH rather sit in the regular seats.  I find the private suites too far away from the action in a lot of venues.  Sure, they're great if you are there to party but if you are there to watch the game?  I'd much rather sit in the seats you describe.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

goldilocks

« Reply #25832 on: March 14, 2014, 11:55:19 AM »
I just think it's rather sad to not be able to enjoy events because you are so envious of the people in the "better" seats. 

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25833 on: March 14, 2014, 12:18:06 PM »
Sometimes, the 'better' seats aren't all that much better. 

A former BF and I had a subscription to the NY Philarmonic.  Our seats were in the uppermost tier. We loved the elevator operator.  He'd take the people who paid more to the boxes, the loges or the dress circle with perfect politeness.   When there were only the people in the 'cheap seats' left on the elevator he'd happily announce, 'MUSIC LOVERS' FLOOR!'.

At that point, most of us would applaud.     

mrs_deb

• I didn't expect THAT to happen!
« Reply #25834 on: March 14, 2014, 12:23:57 PM »
SS of the gas station:

I waited a bit, figuring maybe he hadn't noticed there was another car behind him, but then he got out and pulled out his card to start pumping his gas. I rolled down the window and asked if he could please pull up to the other pump so I could get in too (any other way to the other pump was pretty well blocked by other cars, so I couldn't go around and back in). The guy glanced at me and in the most dismissive tone imaginable said, "No." and went back to the pump.

His not pulling forward to the other pump was rude, but he wasn't rude to say no to your request to move because he'd already started pumping fuel.  You can't stop in the middle of that and move to another pump.

But apparently he hadn't started pumping yet.  According to the OP he'd only gotten out of his car and taken out his card.

Shalamar

« Reply #25835 on: March 14, 2014, 12:39:58 PM »
She said that after being in the suite, she realized how awful regular seating was and it just wasn't fun anymore.

Heh.  I'm not a fan of baseball - at all - and the only game I've ever attended was in one of the suites.  After that I was offered the chance to enter a raffle to win two tickets in the regular seating, and I said "Sorry, no, I'm spoiled.  If I'm not going to be given free food and drinks, I ain't going."

That's as a non-fan, though.  If I loved the game, I wouldn't care where I sat.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #25836 on: March 14, 2014, 12:44:28 PM »
A few years ago I belonged to a group that would attend ball games several times during the summer.   We had pretty good seats, in the open seating area between home and 3rd plate.  Not too far up.   I thought we were pretty lucky to have such good seats, and we all had a good time.

One of our group was invited as part of another event to attend a ball game, in one of the private suites.  These are usually owned by corporations.  The private suites are very nice - TV's, bars, free food and drinks, etc.

After this, the group member no longer wanted to attend ball games at all.   She said that after being in the suite, she realized how awful regular seating was and it just wasn't fun anymore.   Since she didn't have access to a private suite, she just dropped out and didn't come anymore.

I'd MUCH rather sit in the regular seats.  I find the private suites too far away from the action in a lot of venues.  Sure, they're great if you are there to party but if you are there to watch the game?  I'd much rather sit in the seats you describe.
POD
I loved it once Mom and Dad decided that Sis and I were old enough to sit downstairs with friend/by ourselves during the Rodeo. We would go with them - be in the Opening (our job was to keep the other kids calm and happy during the ride in boss's wagon). Then we would go to our seats. They would go upstairs to wine and dine beer and dine customers and brewery people. Then at the end of the show we would go upstairs and meet our parents outside the club boxes.  Usually the employees would recognize us or Mr. Dixon (boss's butler) would see us and take us into the club area.

We would do it every Saturday and Sunday during rodeo for years. Only one time did we have to get our parents before the end of the show. A drunk tripped and sent Sis down the stairs. Security gave her first aid, but had to talk to our parents before they could let us go back to our seats. (Sis had spectacular bruises that were already technicolor, I get their concern.) I still remember the first show they allowed us to do this - Shaun Cassidy was the headliner.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

goldilocks

« Reply #25837 on: March 14, 2014, 02:13:29 PM »
Oh don't get me wrong - I love the suite.   But I'm not rich and that's not something I have access to all the time, so I have a good time in the other seats.

I love to go to our local theatre, and my favorite seats are in the mezzanine, and they are the most expensive.  Same price as floor seats, but I don't like to sit on the floor.   Most of the time they are about $100 after taxes and all.  Usually it's just myself and my daughter or GD going, so DH doesn't say anything (about 3 shows a year we attend).

last year I wanted to go to 2 shows in the same month.   DH is a bit of a cheapskate.   He said I could go to one show and sit in the mezz, or go to both shows and sit in the balcony (about $20).   I chose both shows and the balcony and had a great time.   I did NOT sit there thinking - oh I wish I was in the mezz.   I did get lucky though - no one really big and tall sat in front of me.

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #25838 on: March 14, 2014, 03:06:44 PM »
I know there are plenty of SS driving stories, but I have another one.

A fuel truck was turning into a gas station.
This was a full fuel tanker plus the fuel trailer - so twice as long.
The trucker was as far over as he could go in the right lane and had to make a sharp - 90 degree - left turn.
The truck swung wide right and then the driver cranked the cab over.

Before he could complete the turn, he had to wait for traffic in the oncoming lane to clear (this was a parking lot, not a main road). Truck was in the entrance lane, he was waiting for traffic to clear the exit lane.
So he sat and patiently waited so he could cross.

Then*3* SS drivers wanted to turn into the parking lot.
Option # 1 was drive another 50 yards and take the second entrance.
Option # 2 was wait for the truck to clear (not a good plan as they were in traffic)

And the SS option?
Turn into the exit lane and cut *in front of* the double size fuel truck so they could get into the parking lot.
On the wrong side of the road.
In front of a huge truck full of gasoline.

Oy!

I

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #25839 on: March 14, 2014, 05:07:34 PM »

I am a hockey fan.  If I can't feel the glass shudder when a big hit is delivered, I'd just as soon watch it on  TV.  :D

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #25840 on: March 14, 2014, 05:40:15 PM »
I'll sit by you.  First round of garlic fries is on me.

Shea

« Reply #25841 on: March 14, 2014, 06:01:45 PM »
SS of the gas station:

I stopped to get gas on the way home from work today, and unusually the pumps were all occupied and there was another car ahead of me. I waited behind the other car for a few minutes until both of the cars at two side-by-side pumps (the kind where one car pulls in behind another) left at the same time. The car in front of me pulled up, but instead of going to the farthest pump, allowing me to use the other one, the driver stopped at the first pump. I waited a bit, figuring maybe he hadn't noticed there was another car behind him, but then he got out and pulled out his card to start pumping his gas. I rolled down the window and asked if he could please pull up to the other pump so I could get in too (any other way to the other pump was pretty well blocked by other cars, so I couldn't go around and back in). The guy glanced at me and in the most dismissive tone imaginable said, "No." and went back to the pump.

Fortunately another pump opened up a couple minutes later so I didn't wait long. But what was so special about that one pump that he had to block access to the one other open one at a busy gas station?

I've had that happen to me! Around here it's usually because the nearest pump is shadier. Look, I get that it's hot and the sun sucks but come on! Don't be a jerk!

This happens to my poor BF all the time, except he's the one blocking. Most service stations around here have the premium petrol only on the back pumps so he has to stop there and hence he looks like a jerk, gets dirty looks and even people swearing at him about it. But it really isn't his fault that not all pumps have all fuel types.

Well, if that had been the case here, and the guy explained, I wouldn't have been annoyed. But at this station, all the pumps are exactly the same, so that couldn't have been it, plus he was quite rude in his response. Maybe he was enjoying some sort of minor power play, who knows.

His not pulling forward to the other pump was rude, but he wasn't rude to say no to your request to move because he'd already started pumping fuel.  You can't stop in the middle of that and move to another pump.

He hadn't started pumping. He'd only just gotten out of his car.

If a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, librarians are a global threat.

TeamBhakta

« Reply #25842 on: March 14, 2014, 06:41:06 PM »
I just think it's rather sad to not be able to enjoy events because you are so envious of the people in the "better" seats.

This so much. One of my favorite actors is a baseball fan. He'll become all sappy talking about being in the stands, really get into the game, etc. And if he gets invited to the suites, he'll just post something like "got invited up to the private suites at (whichever game). Partying with so-and-so + free food is fun ha ha"

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #25843 on: March 15, 2014, 04:02:43 AM »
DH and I will be seeing the MLB season opener next weekend, Dodgers vs Diamondbacks. Apparently the Dodgers aren't that keen on coming down under for the gene and consider it a waste of time.

We are looking forward to it though, the tickets were my Christmas present to him.

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #25844 on: March 15, 2014, 02:56:25 PM »
SS of the gas station:

I waited a bit, figuring maybe he hadn't noticed there was another car behind him, but then he got out and pulled out his card to start pumping his gas. I rolled down the window and asked if he could please pull up to the other pump so I could get in too (any other way to the other pump was pretty well blocked by other cars, so I couldn't go around and back in). The guy glanced at me and in the most dismissive tone imaginable said, "No." and went back to the pump.

But apparently he hadn't started pumping yet.  According to the OP he'd only gotten out of his car and taken out his card.

Apologies, I misread.