Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5554390 times)

Bexx27

• Striving to meet the minimum requirements of social acceptability
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #25965 on: March 23, 2014, 10:03:36 AM »
i don't know if this mother counts as a snowflake or is just clueless!

story is,  her 6 month old weighed as much as a 3yr old!!

snipped form the article ""he confessed that her own ‘ignorance’ had led to her son's unhealthy weight gain and that, every time he cried, she gave him food or milk to calm down.

‘He was born with an anxiety, so if he cried I just fed him,’ she added.""

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2584258/Colombias-obese-baby-rescued-Chubby-Hearts-charity-life-saving-treatment.html

and yes i know the mail is not great but sometimes the stories write themselves.

How... How do you do that? I mean, was she feeding him whale milk?

A girlfriend of mine goes by the "If the kid is crying and dry, give it a breast" parenting method and he kids have never been obese. Chubby yeah but not like that!

As much as it fits our cultural paradigms of motherhood and obesity to place all the blame on the mother, that baby obviously has some underlying medical issue. Plenty of parents offer food whenever they don't know why their babies are crying. Babies just don't eat when they're not hungry. And some babies eat a ton and don't become obese.
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these. -George Washington Carver

Jocelyn

« Reply #25966 on: March 23, 2014, 01:10:33 PM »
As much as it fits our cultural paradigms of motherhood and obesity to place all the blame on the mother, that baby obviously has some underlying medical issue. Plenty of parents offer food whenever they don't know why their babies are crying. Babies just don't eat when they're not hungry. And some babies eat a ton and don't become obese.
Babies can indeed be force-fed. My mother showed me a calendar she'd saved from the 1950s, with the most hideously obese babies in it. Multiple fat rolls on their little arms between the shoulder and elbow. Cheeks that went way past 'chubby'. And each month was a different baby. She said that it was the belief in her youth that a fat baby was a healthy baby, that you should start feeding solids by three months at the latest. (before the swallowing reflex for solid foods is fully formed!) I can't even estimate the weight of those babies, but it was at least double that of babies nowadays. It wasn't that the babies had metabolic disorders, it was that culturally, a fat baby was a good baby, and showed that you were a good mother. Doctors didn't speak out against it, either. My sister was rather long but of normal weight when she was born, and everyone talked about how she looked like a premie, and how she needed to be fattened up right away.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25967 on: March 23, 2014, 01:25:41 PM »
I remember many times being told to put cereal in a bottle to make it last the child longer so that we'd use less formula and it would save us $ but I never did because I was also told it was a choking hazard and unhealthy.

As for a special snowflake story, I submit a neighbor.  We live on a street that has street parking, not many people have driveways, let alone a garage and our next door neighbor has taken to using the spot in front of our house with a truck in addition to their car.  Grrr.

So we usually have to park in one of the other spots alongside the curb between the end of the block and our house.  We get home from church and the pickup is again in the spot in front of our house, dh's work van is in the next closest, followed by a small sports car.  There were two empty spaces and another car right by the end of the block.

Only the only two empty spaces were blocked by a truck that was parked and running alongside and the neighbor on the other side was chatting with him.  Neighbor KNOWS where we live, that if the spot in front of our house is taken we usually park in the spots his buddy was blocking and instead of saying to buddy "Hey she needs to get in here, I'll talk to you later" he waves us past. 

I point to the spots just in case it wasn't painfully obvious "I want to park there" but he still waves us past. So we pass, me grumbling and trying to decide where else I'll park and as I'm about to pull into another spot, his buddy leaves.  So I drove to the start of the street, make a uturn and park in one of the spots I'd wanted to get into in the first place.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25968 on: March 23, 2014, 01:29:29 PM »
Babies can indeed be force-fed.
You can't force-feed a breast-fed baby, but it's easy to force-feed a bottle baby.  You shove the nipple in his mouth and hold it there until he drinks it all.  That was the advice in the mid-20th Century.  Baby MUST eat X-ounces and it MUST be Y-hours between feedings.  Baby tries to turn his head away?  Too bad.  He cries because he's hungry and it's only been 3 hours since he was fed last?  Too bad; he's just crying because he's 'spoiled'.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Specky

« Reply #25969 on: March 23, 2014, 02:33:06 PM »
This is a story about a former friend, her blanket assumptions, and hosting.  She felt that there were no "true" vegetarians, and those who professed to be veg were actually forced into it and were always looking for an excuse to not be vegetarian.  She told me this on more than one occasion.  "I really know them better than they know themselves."

She volunteered to host a dinner meeting where over half the attendees would be vegetarian.  She told them there would be a meat entree, a vegetarian entree, a salad, and rice.  Before the event, she restated her beliefs to me.  I told her, "I'm not sure what you are planning here, but I don't think it sounds like a good idea.  You need to respect people's choices for their lives."  She stopped discussing it beyond saying "I want to give them the excuse they really want."

A couple of weeks later, she told me about the gathering.  She decided that since "everyone is really looking for an excuse not to be vegetarian", she would give them one.  When everyone sat down for dinner, she placed the salad on the table (family style) and had added "lots and lots" of bacon bits.  The only dressing contained anchovy.  She announced that the vegetarian lasagna "didn't make it" but that she had ordered extra meat.  The rice had been prepared with chicken broth.  She said she announced all of this because she wanted them to understand what she had done for them.

She said that they stared at their empty plates, looked at each other, looked at the food, looked at her, but wouldn't take any of the food.  The meat eaters must have felt bad, because she said they did the same thing as the vegetarians.  After a few minutes, and a verification that there was no vegetarian food available, they all got up and left. 

She was perplexed.  "I gave them what they really wanted, and they just sat there.  And then left.  How rude!"

nayberry

« Reply #25970 on: March 23, 2014, 02:41:09 PM »
This is a story about a former friend, her blanket assumptions, and hosting.  She felt that there were no "true" vegetarians, and those who professed to be veg were actually forced into it and were always looking for an excuse to not be vegetarian.  She told me this on more than one occasion.  "I really know them better than they know themselves."

She volunteered to host a dinner meeting where over half the attendees would be vegetarian.  She told them there would be a meat entree, a vegetarian entree, a salad, and rice.  Before the event, she restated her beliefs to me.  I told her, "I'm not sure what you are planning here, but I don't think it sounds like a good idea.  You need to respect people's choices for their lives."  She stopped discussing it beyond saying "I want to give them the excuse they really want."

A couple of weeks later, she told me about the gathering.  She decided that since "everyone is really looking for an excuse not to be vegetarian", she would give them one.  When everyone sat down for dinner, she placed the salad on the table (family style) and had added "lots and lots" of bacon bits.  The only dressing contained anchovy.  She announced that the vegetarian lasagna "didn't make it" but that she had ordered extra meat.  The rice had been prepared with chicken broth.  She said she announced all of this because she wanted them to understand what she had done for them.

She said that they stared at their empty plates, looked at each other, looked at the food, looked at her, but wouldn't take any of the food.  The meat eaters must have felt bad, because she said they did the same thing as the vegetarians.  After a few minutes, and a verification that there was no vegetarian food available, they all got up and left. 

She was perplexed.  "I gave them what they really wanted, and they just sat there.  And then left.  How rude!"

she what???   wow

Tia2

« Reply #25971 on: March 23, 2014, 02:46:04 PM »
I guess the only good thing here is that at least she didn't hide the meat?

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25972 on: March 23, 2014, 02:47:05 PM »
Okay, the year isn't a quarter over but this will be a SS story to beat!

Kudos to the carnivores who walked out in solidarity with the vegetarians! 

People of the world who like good food, UNITE!  ;D

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #25973 on: March 23, 2014, 03:10:57 PM »
i don't know if this mother counts as a snowflake or is just clueless!

story is,  her 6 month old weighed as much as a 3yr old!!

snipped form the article ""he confessed that her own ‘ignorance’ had led to her son's unhealthy weight gain and that, every time he cried, she gave him food or milk to calm down.

‘He was born with an anxiety, so if he cried I just fed him,’ she added.""

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2584258/Colombias-obese-baby-rescued-Chubby-Hearts-charity-life-saving-treatment.html

and yes i know the mail is not great but sometimes the stories write themselves.

How... How do you do that? I mean, was she feeding him whale milk?

A girlfriend of mine goes by the "If the kid is crying and dry, give it a breast" parenting method and he kids have never been obese. Chubby yeah but not like that!

I don't blame the poor mother. I was kinda thinking the baby just have some sort of medical condition because I've never seen such a chubby baby.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Sassycelticmoon
<a href="http://knitmeter.com/" title="Get Your Own KnitMeter">" border="0[/url]

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25974 on: March 23, 2014, 03:13:17 PM »

That's just odd, and why would she even care????? I don't care which of my friends eat meat vs those who don't, aside from remembering to fix a dish that everyone can eat. And me, and the rest of my friends are fine with veggie lasagna vs. meat, if some of the guests are vegetarians. 

Shalamar

« Reply #25975 on: March 23, 2014, 03:56:20 PM »
Good grief.   That's worse than when my MIL served dinner to our vegetarian daughters and somehow managed to include a non-veggie ingredient in every single dish.   (Even the salad - like Specky's friend, MIL had included bacon bits.   Even the dessert - it had been made with animal shortening.).  In my MIL's defense, she just hadn't thought things through.

Coralreef

« Reply #25976 on: March 23, 2014, 04:43:14 PM »

Doesn't have much of a clue, does she? 

[/right

Peppergirl

« Reply #25977 on: March 23, 2014, 05:08:08 PM »
I rarely read these stories that my mouth literally drops open.  That's just...bizarre.

Why in Diety's name would someone do something like that?!?  :o

Is she odd in other ways besides this one?  I'd have loved to have been a fly on the wall to see her face when the carnivores and vegans united and all left together.   ;D

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #25978 on: March 23, 2014, 06:50:02 PM »
I nominate the woman sitting in front of me at the baseball yesterday who did nothing but complain. The sun was hot and there was no shade, she couldn't see anything, her wine was getting too warm and the vendor didn't have any cheese for her hotdog. She was also dressed in a way that she obviously though it would be more glamorous than it was and had no idea what she was in for. When she was complaining, to us and the woman next to her I agreed, but then pointed out how much worse it would be if we were watching a cricket match. Middle of summer, we'd be there all day. It certainly decided DH and me to never ever go to one.

She wasn't the only one there who had no idea what to expect, DH and I made a game of spotting the arm candy. Quite a few looked like they would be more at home in a nightclub.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #25979 on: March 23, 2014, 07:57:42 PM »
Today, while at the grocery store, I stopped in the bakery to pick up a few things from the case. While I was waiting the group in front of me was making faces and gesturing at the attendant, who indicated she would be with them momentarily.

The blond woman of the group reached over the tall counter, grabbed the clear plastic box that had cookies for the kids, and turned it around to face her. She reached inside the box, pulled out a cookie and started eating it. There were other cookies in the box, and the attendant had to throw them away since the SS woman had not been wearing a glove as is required by the health department. Miss SS giggled then this exchange happened:

SS: Well, who were they for, if not for shoppers
Attendant: They are for children who ask
SS: Why aren't they just out on the counter?
Attendant: (Trying desperately to be polite) We have to give them out, we can't leave them sitting out
SS: Well, at least the fat kids won't get to have one. (Not realizing or caring that there were two kids standing behind her, waiting for a cookie)

Now, the SS and her two companions get the bread they had sliced and head to checkout. As I got my items and headed to checkout, I saw one of the managers, and got his attention and relayed the tale. I wanted to make sure the attendant didn't get any static about the situation.

While and just after this happened, my fingers were itching to come home and post this here.