Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5523329 times)

TeamBhakta

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #26085 on: April 01, 2014, 03:42:32 PM »
There was a tiny jeep on the road in front of me yesterday. It was perched on ridiculously wide, gigantic truck wheels. And the driver was dangerously cutting off anyone he could, including a car about to cross the railroad tracks. It was like watching a toddler in their mommy's heels and dress trying to race past a bunch of adults & not trip. I'm honestly surprised he didn't kill anyone.

Shalamar

« Reply #26086 on: April 01, 2014, 04:55:27 PM »
Thing is, the family bathroom is supposed to be reserved for parents with small children.  That guy could've used the men's room.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26087 on: April 01, 2014, 04:57:26 PM »
Thing is, the family bathroom is supposed to be reserved for parents with small children.  That guy could've used the men's room.
Maybe not.  He could have bashful bladder.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

MindsEye

« Reply #26088 on: April 01, 2014, 05:11:26 PM »
That reminds me of when my daughter was a baby, and I wanted to use the "family bathroom" at our local mall.  This was a large room with the usual bathroom stuff (toilet and sink) as well as a changing table and a chair for breastfeeding.  As it so happened, I needed all of it.  Trouble was, the room was occupied.  I waited for a good ten minutes for the people inside to be done, but I didn't really mind, because I know how long it takes to deal with babies and small children ...

... except that, when the door opened, one person emerged.  A man, who had no children with him.  I stared at him in disbelief and he gave me an insolent "What are YOU looking at?" expression.

I wouldn't call him a special snowflake. It's still just a bathroom and I think it falls under the same etiquette as a handicapped stall. It's there for when certain people need it, but it isn't rude for anyone else to use it if it's available.

I have always thought of the family/unisex bathroom as one that is available to whoever needs it. 

I am not a parent and I don't have kinds, but I have used the family/unisex bathroom before because it was what was available.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #26089 on: April 01, 2014, 07:30:57 PM »
I think that the family bathroom should be reserved for those who need it unless the other bathroom is not available. IMO, YMMV

I live in a community with gates and access cards. An access card is issued to every person who is on the lease for their unit. If you aren't on the lease, you don't get a card. Each unit also has a code that can be entered into the guest gate or they can pull up a resident through the computer there.

They recently changed all access cards and changed the main access receivers to be for the left gate (townhouse side) or the right gate (apartment side).

Cue all the SS people who live here or are guests and don't have a card or code and try to cut in front of the people with cards or follow closely behind.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #26090 on: April 01, 2014, 07:40:53 PM »
That reminds me of when my daughter was a baby, and I wanted to use the "family bathroom" at our local mall.  This was a large room with the usual bathroom stuff (toilet and sink) as well as a changing table and a chair for breastfeeding.  As it so happened, I needed all of it.  Trouble was, the room was occupied.  I waited for a good ten minutes for the people inside to be done, but I didn't really mind, because I know how long it takes to deal with babies and small children ...

... except that, when the door opened, one person emerged.  A man, who had no children with him.  I stared at him in disbelief and he gave me an insolent "What are YOU looking at?" expression.

I wouldn't call him a special snowflake. It's still just a bathroom and I think it falls under the same etiquette as a handicapped stall. It's there for when certain people need it, but it isn't rude for anyone else to use it if it's available.

I have always thought of the family/unisex bathroom as one that is available to whoever needs it. 

I am not a parent and I don't have kinds, but I have used the family/unisex bathroom before because it was what was available.

Agree, the family bathroom is a bathroom.  If it's empty and the other bathrooms are full, then it doesn't make any sense to not use it if there are no families waiting in line for it. 

Jones

« Reply #26091 on: April 01, 2014, 08:20:20 PM »
But, like the handicapped stall, it's not too polite to take a long time in there and force the people who *have* to use it, no other options, wait for you.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #26092 on: April 01, 2014, 08:48:39 PM »
Doing errands today, we were almost cut off by a motorcyclist, as he tried to turn on a red to get in front of us, as we were progressing straight through a green. Then, at the next light, of *course* he drives the bike between the line of cars waiting at the light, to become first of the line.  He then proceeds to drive through the intersection at what I call a pedestrian green (that moment when the opposing side has just turned red, but you're not green yet).

I know not all motorcyclists are like that, but the ones that are sour pubic opinion.  I personally think they're the adult version of the SS that thinks "I'm a kid on a bike, traffic laws aren't for me!"

silvercelt

« Reply #26093 on: April 01, 2014, 09:09:22 PM »
But, like the handicapped stall, it's not too polite to take a long time in there and force the people who *have* to use it, no other options, wait for you.

But, sometimes, people don't have "business" that can be taken care of quickly.  Sometimes when I've got to go, I've GOT to GO, and will take the first available bathroom.  I may be in there for a little bit. It happens.

Minmom3

« Reply #26094 on: April 01, 2014, 09:19:36 PM »
I was the SS once upon a time...  I was backpacking up in Canada, and to get home again, we flew a teeny sea plane down from our base into Victoria.  I had gotten a kidney/bladder infection while on this trip.  While out in the woods, it wasn't a problem - lots of bushes available to me!   ;)  Flying back down into Seattle, the plane trip was a nightmare for me.  10 seater plane, not even a bucket, which I was PERFECTLY willing to use.  I was in dire straights.  I had hot flashes, cold sweats, and was honestly not sure I wasn't going to wet myself before we landed.  As we pulled up to the building at the airport in Victoria, everybody let me get off first.  I race walked (too full to run) through the terminal to the first toilet I saw - a handicapped toilet.  So sorry, not getting any further at the moment, and in I dived!  A few minutes later, I walked out feeling infinitely better.  My entire group was right there, waiting quietly for me, knowing there wasn't a chance I'd go one inch past that toilet....  I felt really bad for using the handicapped toilet, but oh boy, did I NEED it!
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

kckgirl

« Reply #26095 on: April 01, 2014, 09:22:14 PM »
Minmom3, you were not an SS.
Maryland

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #26096 on: April 01, 2014, 09:32:10 PM »
Not at all.

My example for the family restrooms. My husband took care of his grandmother, who was nearly paralyzed and in a wheelchair. He frequently took her places in his teens and twenties and having one of the family restrooms was helpful for both of them. Otherwise, he had to go into the women's restroom with her and would get glares and comments.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26097 on: April 01, 2014, 10:21:17 PM »
I've had to use the handicapped stall myself on several occasions, either because I had the littlest pirate with me in his stroller and there was no way I'd leave him outside the stall so he had to come in with me and that was the only one with enough room for us both.

Also often the changing station will be placed in the handicapped stall to offer privacy for the little one and so that others won't have to see the child be changed while waiting in line.  Least I imagine that's the thought behind the placement.

And well this is at our church, and I haven't really seen it elsewhere, but the handicapped stall is the only one with a little stool so a little one can use it when using the toilet.

But I've never had anyone complain and wouldn't think that was SS'y.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Tea Drinker

• Now part of Team Land Crab
« Reply #26098 on: April 01, 2014, 10:34:27 PM »
I was the SS once upon a time...  I was backpacking up in Canada, and to get home again, we flew a teeny sea plane down from our base into Victoria.  I had gotten a kidney/bladder infection while on this trip.  While out in the woods, it wasn't a problem - lots of bushes available to me!   ;)  Flying back down into Seattle, the plane trip was a nightmare for me.  10 seater plane, not even a bucket, which I was PERFECTLY willing to use.  I was in dire straights.  I had hot flashes, cold sweats, and was honestly not sure I wasn't going to wet myself before we landed.  As we pulled up to the building at the airport in Victoria, everybody let me get off first.  I race walked (too full to run) through the terminal to the first toilet I saw - a handicapped toilet.  So sorry, not getting any further at the moment, and in I dived!  A few minutes later, I walked out feeling infinitely better.  My entire group was right there, waiting quietly for me, knowing there wasn't a chance I'd go one inch past that toilet....  I felt really bad for using the handicapped toilet, but oh boy, did I NEED it!

That's not even close to being a SS: it sounds as though your kidney/bladder infection was bad enough to constitute a temporary disability, and one that specifically meant you really needed that bathroom.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26099 on: April 01, 2014, 10:39:12 PM »
...   That's not even close to being a SS: it sounds as though your kidney/bladder infection was bad enough to constitute a temporary disability, and one that specifically meant you really needed that bathroom.

Exactly!  That was an EMERGENCY!