Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5419826 times)

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #26190 on: April 07, 2014, 12:25:32 AM »
I'm going to nominate my new neighbors. Their backyard faces my left side yard (they face on a different street).

They are into soccer. They have a soccer field in their back yard goals, chalk lines. They have put up trellises on the end of the soccer field that boarder the street to stop soccer balls from going over. They haven't put them up on my end. My windows get hit with wild balls a couple times a day on the weekends. They like playing at night. They light up their yard like a stadium the lights come right in my windows that side of the house. They have a ref with a whistle. They stopped playing at Midnight last night - after jarring me out of a deep sleep with a combo whistle, ball hitting my window, and loud argument. I'm going to start calling the cops on the games.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

StarDrifter

• I never tell people exactly how smart I am
« Reply #26191 on: April 07, 2014, 03:08:04 AM »
When Nan and Pop moved into a new place a few years ago they had neighbours like that, and Pop started to leave the windows open (the windows the balls were hitting were in the back bedrooms - nothing breakable in there except the lamps which he removed) and keeping the balls - telling the kids to get their parents to come and ask for them back so he could talk to them.

Apparently the kids made up stories about 'losing' the balls elsewhere for a while and Pop got quite a collection going before the parents realised where all the balls were going and started to get shirty about them not being returned... until Pop pointed out that he could have just left the windows closed and waited until they were smashed and charged them for replacements.

Suddenly - no more balls coming over the fence and the kids were playing in the park at the end of the street instead.
And Pop had a dozen soccer balls that he gave to his own grandkids - because the parents were so embarrassed by their kids' behaviour that they never actually asked for them back.
... it might frighten them.
Victoria,

HoneyBee42

« Reply #26192 on: April 07, 2014, 07:46:39 AM »
I think I might have encountered the SSparents who were involved in the parking follies during all the practices (that's an earlier post in this thread--people going in the exit or parking across multiple spots in a small parking lot).

We go to the closing night performance of the school play.  Director-teacher announces before the show that she is requesting that people turn their cell phones *off* because of interference with the sound system.

So we have the parent who kept jumping in front of me to snap photos with his cell phone *during the performance* whenever his child happened to be on stage.  Seriously?  All those other kids?  Notice them?  I had noticed on the way in that there were a large number of parents (got there before the doors opened, lined up) judging by the people who were bringing flowers and the like (traditional .. even for the kids who are ensemble members, to get something like that from the parents after the conclusion of the final show).  I'd say that probably 3/4  of the kids in the program had families present at this show, no one else was jumping into the way of others during the performance to snap photos.

I guess it's a good thing I purchased the DVD being made of one of the performances (made available to all of the parents prior to the performance--we had to pre-order).

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26193 on: April 07, 2014, 07:58:12 AM »
for those of you looking forward to being empty nesters - a little advice.

As soon as the last kid moves out - sell the house and buy a 1 bedroom condo.  With no guest room.  No room to put an air mattress on the floor.  Make sure the yard is not big enough to pitch a tent.

My last one moved out and 2 months later the oldest one was back.   Wish I'd followed my own advice.

My IL's moved to a smaller home a couple years after DH joined the marines, because my MIL said it just felt too big without him around.  Their current house is a 2br but with rather small bedrooms that are mostly occupied by the beds and small furniture.  We slept there once but it was because we had been flying home from Maine and our flight that was meant to land in Atlanta was forced to land in BWI for the night and the IL's aren't too far so we stayed with them instead of a hotel.  It was cramped but we managed. :)

When we moved back east we lived 15 minutes away and now we're an hour away so still close enough that we really don't need to spend the night either way.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #26194 on: April 07, 2014, 10:00:47 AM »
Nominating the two aggressive drivers that terrorized other cars this morning. Neither of you should be driving.

alkira6

« Reply #26195 on: April 07, 2014, 11:36:13 AM »
Nominating my husbands boss for calling him at 4:30 AM of Saturday to ask him where cup lids were stored.  Um, right where they normally are? 

First day we get to sleep in together and it's shot. She also left him an angry message when he didn't answer the phone an hour later because I made him mute the ringer for her phone and for the work #.  I don't see their relationship getting better after this...

MissRose

« Reply #26196 on: April 07, 2014, 11:56:26 AM »
I'd like to nominate a few of the over night people at my office.  We have a room where people can relax and watch tv on their breaks.  I came into the room this morning, and the tv does not work.  Come to find out they unplugged a few things to play this old video game thing on their break and never replugged in things back.  They also forget to switch the tv settings back to allow for normal viewing.  One person said it will do no good to complain to our facilities person as she thinks they would sooner take the tv from us.

laughtermed

« Reply #26197 on: April 07, 2014, 05:02:49 PM »
The losing the job because Mom didnt wake me up story reminded me of something that happened while I was in college:

A woman I worked with (I was in college, her daughter had just left for her first semester) would still write her daughter's school papers for her.  This was pre-Internet, so the daughter would fax the assignment to our work, the mother would write the paper and send it back to her using the company fax. 

Here's the kicker - since I was in college at the time, during my lunch breaks or short breaks, I would usually work on homework.  She asked me several times TO HELP HER WITH HER DAUGHTERS HOMEWORK while I was working on my own, saying that "Since she (mother) was paying for the daughters education, then it was her duty to help her not flunk out." She said this to me, a person who was WORKING their way through school.

I declined. She persisted because "You know this better than I do since you are taking it now."  I finally asked our supervisor to have her stop and she was cool to me since then. 

And yes, her daughter did eventually flunk out.

I have experienced a variation of this. One company I worked for had a website. Visitors could ask questions. One student asked me to do their homework and even sent a copy of the assignment from the university. I declined and the visitor got very huffy.

Shalamar

« Reply #26198 on: April 07, 2014, 05:10:00 PM »
The other day, I was participating in a research study.  The point of this study is to find out which moisturizers work best.  We study participants spend a certain amount of time getting moisturizers and getting tested, then we get paid.  One of the other participants suddenly gasped "I just figured it out - we're not even getting minimum wage for this!".

I winced, because I knew what was coming.   Sure enough, one of the employees (a very no-nonsense lady) scowled and said "This isn't a job.  You chose to take part of your own free will, and the document you signed at the beginning makes that very clear."  The participant made things worse, saying "Well, yes, I know, but still - minimum wage is -"  "If you're dissatisfied, you're more than welcome to take it up with a lawyer."   Participant immediately started to backtrack, saying hastily that she wasn't dissatisfied, nosirree!

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #26199 on: April 07, 2014, 07:29:29 PM »
I think that this was a situation where she was seriously not thinking her actions through. It probably never occurred to her that by opening the door she would expose you.  Maybe not malicious, just a case of her not thinking.

I see a SS as someone who knows that their actions adversely affect others, they just don't care.

I agree--I think some people described on this thread could simply have made a mistake, or not thought all the way through.

(And I might suggest that you suggest a curtain/screen of some sort. Just in case.)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26200 on: April 07, 2014, 07:34:20 PM »
On the subject of helicopter parents and college, I read an article where a mother called in demanding to know what the university offered for laundry services because her son didn't know how to do laundry.

The man who took her call suggested she take the two remaining weeks until term started to teach him.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #26201 on: April 07, 2014, 07:49:48 PM »
We got several mailings for drop-off laundry services. My DD scoffed.

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #26202 on: April 07, 2014, 09:33:37 PM »
There was a  time when college students mailed their laundry home for Mom to do. It was cheaper than taking them to a laundry (coin machines didn't exist).

[url=http://afinecollection.wordpress.com/2013/10/02/laundry-mailer-1950-54/]Laundry Mailer

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #26203 on: April 07, 2014, 09:49:16 PM »
When Nan and Pop moved into a new place a few years ago they had neighbours like that, and Pop started to leave the windows open (the windows the balls were hitting were in the back bedrooms - nothing breakable in there except the lamps which he removed) and keeping the balls - telling the kids to get their parents to come and ask for them back so he could talk to them.

Apparently the kids made up stories about 'losing' the balls elsewhere for a while and Pop got quite a collection going before the parents realised where all the balls were going and started to get shirty about them not being returned... until Pop pointed out that he could have just left the windows closed and waited until they were smashed and charged them for replacements.

Suddenly - no more balls coming over the fence and the kids were playing in the park at the end of the street instead.
And Pop had a dozen soccer balls that he gave to his own grandkids - because the parents were so embarrassed by their kids' behaviour that they never actually asked for them back.
Like the idea - but this is Houston and already getting to hot to have the windows open. Also it isn't the kids that are the problem but adult men who are playing between 10 - 12 at night.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26204 on: April 08, 2014, 06:45:26 AM »
There was a  time when college students mailed their laundry home for Mom to do. It was cheaper than taking them to a laundry (coin machines didn't exist).

[url=http://afinecollection.wordpress.com/2013/10/02/laundry-mailer-1950-54/]Laundry Mailer

When MIL was in college here in the US she'd send her laundry home to China.