Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5381739 times)

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #26205 on: April 08, 2014, 06:47:42 AM »
There was a  time when college students mailed their laundry home for Mom to do. It was cheaper than taking them to a laundry (coin machines didn't exist).

[url=http://afinecollection.wordpress.com/2013/10/02/laundry-mailer-1950-54/]Laundry Mailer

When MIL was in college here in the US she'd send her laundry home to China.

Didn't that take a long time? How many clothes did she have?

Hillia

« Reply #26206 on: April 08, 2014, 06:57:02 AM »
When I started college in 1980, the upperclassmen were disgruntled because laundry service had been discontinued that year.  Up until then, you put your laundry in a school-issued bag and dropped it down a chute to the basement, where school workers collected it, washed it, and returned it to your dorm.  This was a women's university in the south.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #26207 on: April 08, 2014, 06:58:48 AM »
When I started college in 1980, the upperclassmen were disgruntled because laundry service had been discontinued that year.  Up until then, you put your laundry in a school-issued bag and dropped it down a chute to the basement, where school workers collected it, washed it, and returned it to your dorm.  This was a women's university in the south.

I'd have been disgruntled too! That's a nice service. There's nothing snowflakey about not wanting to do your own laundry--as long as you're willing to pay for it.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26208 on: April 08, 2014, 07:02:11 AM »
Well the article I had read about helicopter parents made it sound like this woman was expecting the school to figure out some solution to the fact her child didn't know how to do laundry.   I don't even know if it was a matter of the kid not wanting to, they just said she was upset they didn't have anything on campus. 

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #26209 on: April 08, 2014, 07:05:36 AM »
On the subject of helicopter parents and college, I read an article where a mother called in demanding to know what the university offered for laundry services because her son didn't know how to do laundry.

The man who took her call suggested she take the two remaining weeks until term started to teach him.

Heck, I made a small fortune by doing laundry or teaching people how to do laundry my freshman year.  I charged $20-$30 per person (depending on how much laundry they had) and would take 5 or 6 loads at a time to the coin laundry.  It might have cost me my Saturday morning and $15-20 to do all of it, but I came out ahead by sometimes as much as $150 for half days worth of work.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

shadowfox79

« Reply #26210 on: April 08, 2014, 07:26:06 AM »
I admit that I did sometimes take laundry home when I was a student, but that wasn't because I didn't know how to do it - it was because the student hall facilities were a nightmare. You had to sit around for hours to get a machine and people would dump your wet clothes out of the dryer.

My mother quite liked doing my laundry for me - I think it made her feel needed. My dad was less keen, primarily because on more than one occasion my red underwear turned his shirts pink.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26211 on: April 08, 2014, 07:42:25 AM »
Oh yes, our laundry rooms in our dorms were rife with SS but oddly I usually liked laundry day.  I'd pack up a few books, enough change for the machines and snacks, start a load and park myself on top of the machine or in front of it so I could lean back against it (I did move if someone wanted to get past me) and it was an excuse just to have some down time. :)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #26212 on: April 08, 2014, 08:21:20 AM »
I nominate the young woman who was driving in front of me and styling her hair with both hands, but only when the car was moving. At the lights, she would text.

Not okay.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #26213 on: April 08, 2014, 08:24:05 AM »
Well the article I had read about helicopter parents made it sound like this woman was expecting the school to figure out some solution to the fact her child didn't know how to do laundry.   I don't even know if it was a matter of the kid not wanting to, they just said she was upset they didn't have anything on campus.

Oh, I think *that* woman was a bit of a snowflake, especially the "calling the administration."

Nikko-chan

« Reply #26214 on: April 08, 2014, 08:50:49 AM »
I nominate the young woman who was driving in front of me and styling her hair with both hands, but only when the car was moving. At the lights, she would text.

Not okay.

How on earth is that even possible?!??!?! (mind you this is coming from a person who runs a brush through it and calls it a day)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #26215 on: April 08, 2014, 08:55:09 AM »
From behind, I could see both arms and hands arched over her head, so I guess she might have been steering with her knee? She kept her hands in her hair for two minutes straight. I finally passed her, because I was not confident in her abilities to stop if the traffic in front of her did.

alkira6

« Reply #26216 on: April 08, 2014, 09:51:27 AM »
In the girls dorm I lived in you had to watch your laundry like a hawk.  People would take your laundry out of the washer to use it, mid cycle or not.  We also had a couple of dryer sharks who would watch and wait until someone put laundry in the dryer and promptly come and take it out so that they could dry their.  Didn't take long for them to get caught as our RA staked out the laundry room after enough complaints.

SS parent who wants me to agree to read the entire TCAP test to her daughter.  The daughter can read fine and is not SPED, she just gets "tired" when she reads a lot.  I advised the parent to get her daughter to practice reading for longer periods every day to build her stamina for the test. Mother complained to the principal, who went  ::)  .

Firecat

« Reply #26217 on: April 08, 2014, 01:08:41 PM »
The second year I lived in the dorm, I started a job that had me working until 1:00 am or so on Saturday nights. One of my friends was a real night owl, so I'd call her when I got back to my room; we'd both grab our laundry and head for the laundry room.

The laundry room was away from the dorm rooms, and didn't have posted hours. We almost always had the place to ourselves, so we'd sit down there, play a board game or study, etc. We got our laundry done, I got some time to wind down after work, my friend liked being up late, so it worked out fine.

JoW

« Reply #26218 on: April 08, 2014, 10:35:21 PM »
By the time I graduated from high school I had been doing all of the family laundry for 2 years. It started gradually.  Dad died, Mom went back to work, the laundry started piling up, and I started washing it.  Mom was too busy to notice. 

About a week after I went off to college my mother made an interesting discovery - I had been doing all the laundry.  She learned this one morning when both of my brothers ran out of clean underwear.  They wore swimsuits as underwear that day.  Mom did laundry that night.  That weekend my brothers learned to do laundry. 

I knew a lot kids in college who had no idea how to do laundry.  I wasn't one of them. 

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #26219 on: April 08, 2014, 11:01:41 PM »
The funny thing is, laundry is pretty much a connect-the-dots procedure.  Scoop says how much detergent, put in clothes, set dial, go watch TV.