Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5083697 times)

JoW

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #26220 on: April 08, 2014, 10:35:21 PM »
By the time I graduated from high school I had been doing all of the family laundry for 2 years. It started gradually.  Dad died, Mom went back to work, the laundry started piling up, and I started washing it.  Mom was too busy to notice. 

About a week after I went off to college my mother made an interesting discovery - I had been doing all the laundry.  She learned this one morning when both of my brothers ran out of clean underwear.  They wore swimsuits as underwear that day.  Mom did laundry that night.  That weekend my brothers learned to do laundry. 

I knew a lot kids in college who had no idea how to do laundry.  I wasn't one of them. 

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #26221 on: April 08, 2014, 11:01:41 PM »
The funny thing is, laundry is pretty much a connect-the-dots procedure.  Scoop says how much detergent, put in clothes, set dial, go watch TV.

RooRoo

• I’m out of my mind. Please leave a message.
« Reply #26222 on: April 09, 2014, 02:23:14 AM »
Diane, you must be sorting it on automatic pilot! And, of course, you're unconsciously choosing the right water temperatures to choose to avoid shrinkage, or color loss, etc.

Learning the connect-the-dots part is only the first step... How many of us turned our whites pink before we learned not to put something red in with them? (Roo's hand goes up)

I've also learned not to put bleach in with anything green.  :-\
"Someday we must write a book of Etiquette for sensible people," said Mrs. Morland, "though apart from a few rules it really boils down to an educated mind and a kind heart." ~ Angela Thirkell, Never Too Late

Fliss

• Australia - the land that time forgot.
« Reply #26223 on: April 09, 2014, 02:54:35 AM »
The funny thing is, laundry is pretty much a connect-the-dots procedure.  Scoop says how much detergent, put in clothes, set dial, go watch TV.

I'm with you. Water on cold, select amount to wash (small, medium, large), put clothes in machine, put 2 spoons of washing liquid in, close lid, turn on machine. Come back in 20 minutes and hang clothes out to dry.

What is this "sorting" you speak of? Everything is washed together in our house.
Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #26224 on: April 09, 2014, 02:55:31 AM »
heck, with the newer machines, they'll figure out water temp and load size for you - some will even measure the detergent!
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Fliss

• Australia - the land that time forgot.
« Reply #26225 on: April 09, 2014, 03:12:19 AM »

Ours is about 30 years old. The advantage of the older machines is there's so little to go wrong. And I prefer my clothes to be practical rather than just looking good. Nothing that requires special treatment exists in my wardrobe.
Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #26226 on: April 09, 2014, 03:20:43 AM »

I'm with you. Water on cold, select amount to wash (small, medium, large), put clothes in machine, put 2 spoons of washing liquid in, close lid, turn on machine. Come back in 20 minutes and hang clothes out to dry.

What is this "sorting" you speak of? Everything is washed together in our house.

20 minutes???? Wow! I'm jealous! Ours take 1.5-2 hours depending on the program.

We sort in white and non-white -- that's about it ;)

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

AngelicGamer

« Reply #26227 on: April 09, 2014, 04:49:03 AM »

20 minutes???? Wow! I'm jealous! Ours take 1.5-2 hours depending on the program.

We sort in white and non-white -- that's about it ;)

My machines, which possibly came with the house (built in late 60s, early 70s), takes a half hour on wash.  Drying takes anywhere from 1.5 to 2 hours, which is why most things are hung, save for underthings.

"Life's tough, huh?  And then you die." ~ Buck, the Magnificent Seven.

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
« Reply #26228 on: April 09, 2014, 05:28:49 AM »

Ours is about 30 years old. The advantage of the older machines is there's so little to go wrong. And I prefer my clothes to be practical rather than just looking good. Nothing that requires special treatment exists in my wardrobe.
Mine is about 20 years and I agree with you. No computer chips, so less to fail. It looks a bit bashed about, but it works fine.

Victoria

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #26229 on: April 09, 2014, 05:54:35 AM »
Diane, you must be sorting it on automatic pilot! And, of course, you're unconsciously choosing the right water temperatures to choose to avoid shrinkage, or color loss, etc.

Learning the connect-the-dots part is only the first step... How many of us turned our whites pink before we learned not to put something red in with them? (Roo's hand goes up)

I've also learned not to put bleach in with anything green.  :-\

Water temperature?  Bah, set to cold, nothing to sort out.  I've yet to see the tag that says "hot water only".  Cold also doesn't care what color your clothes are.  White towels and a red shirt?  Bring it on.

laud_shy_girl

« Reply #26230 on: April 09, 2014, 06:15:21 AM »
I only buy cloths that are load and go. all our stuff gets put on a quick wash 40 its done in about 30min. I do split lights and darks. I know non of my stuff bleeds but I have found that lights live longer if separated. (can't stand Grey whites)

At Uni I loved our washers. Top loading and took big loads and the dryers were big too.
they were mostly empty in the week. I think most people took them home to wash. (being in the UK a lot of people in halls went home very weekend.)

The SS in this case were people who would use all the washers (usually a couple of people doing laundry together) who would then go out for the after noon and just leave there clothes in the washing machine. they would then go batty that people had the gall to move their cloths. They usually went off on the person who's stuff was in "their" washer when they got back. I was the victim once and I had waited for 2 other people to finish with the machines before I used it. so that was a minimum if 3 1/2 Hours.(load took about 45mins to 1 Hr) I just told them it was empty when I go there.

a notice was put up by one of the tenants that any clothing left for longer than 30 minuets in a machine that had stopped would get dumped. the culprits stopped doing it on the busiest days at least.
“For too long, we've assumed that there is a single template for human nature, which is why we diagnose most deviations as disorders. But the reality is that there are many different kinds of minds. And that's a very good thing.” - Jonah Lehrer

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26231 on: April 09, 2014, 06:32:24 AM »
I used to not separate until I got some very dark wash jeans and some white sheets, as well as some shirts from Dressbarn with sparkly bits on the front.  They get washed with like items but everything else? Meh, it gets all tossed in.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

athersgeo

• No one told you when to run
« Reply #26232 on: April 09, 2014, 07:46:24 AM »

Mine is about 20 years and I agree with you. No computer chips, so less to fail. It looks a bit bashed about, but it works fine.

Our old machine was about twenty-eight years old when it was finally condemned. It had its quirks (the door could be opened mid-wash, but was hell to open when the wash had finished!), but it did its job admirably. The last time it got serviced (about three years before it finally died), the washing machine repair chap took one look at it and said, with awe, "It's older than I am!"

And on a completely different SS note:
If you absolutely HAVE to use Lynx deodorant (Ax for folks on the other side of the Atlantic), please don't...
a - use it out on the gym floor
b - spray it in the direction of someone actively working out

Yeah, leg extensions and sneezing fits work so well together (not) - and I'm not even someone who's particularly sensitive to scents!

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26233 on: April 09, 2014, 08:00:05 AM »
A friend of mine works in a small town pharmacy and she told me one summer when teens were bored they came in and started spraying some Axe around for fun.   :P
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Nibsey

« Reply #26234 on: April 09, 2014, 08:10:41 AM »
Today during rush hour we were behind this woman who kept doing her makeup when stopped at the traffic lights (she was about 3 cars down from said lights). Which in of itself isn't SS. What made it SS is that when the light went green she didn't move while she continued to do her makeup and when everyone beeped their horn she moved up at a snails pace and stopped at the front of the lights while they were still green and wouldn't budge until the next set of green lights. Usually about 10-12 cars get past the lights before they turn red.
“I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.”- Douglas Adams
Éire (Ireland)