Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5617129 times)

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #26295 on: April 10, 2014, 02:10:18 PM »

He can make me crazy but he is a good man and believes a well rested woman with time to herself makes for a happier, better mother. :)

... and wife!   >:D

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26296 on: April 10, 2014, 02:12:19 PM »

He came from a family of 7 children with a mother who was a nurse, cooked and cleaned and did laundry for other families. From what I've been told, she wasn't the greatest cook but somehow dinner was always on the table at the same time.

I think another part of this is how people recall their childhoods, some of the details get really fuzzy. Plus parenting has changed a great deal in 2 generations.  I grew up in one of the worst cities for crime and remember being allowed to walk with friends to school in 2nd grade (and not a school just a few doors down  1/2 a mileish across a major road and several streets without crosswalks) My son grew up in one of the safest cities and with literally one exception all the the kids walked with an adult (including the kids 10 door down from the school) I'm in no way saying raising 7 kids was easy but the were huge differences in what that means over the last  25-50 years.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26297 on: April 10, 2014, 02:28:40 PM »

He came from a family of 7 children with a mother who was a nurse, cooked and cleaned and did laundry for other families. From what I've been told, she wasn't the greatest cook but somehow dinner was always on the table at the same time.

I think another part of this is how people recall their childhoods, some of the details get really fuzzy. Plus parenting has changed a great deal in 2 generations.  I grew up in one of the worst cities for crime and remember being allowed to walk with friends to school in 2nd grade (and not a school just a few doors down  1/2 a mileish across a major road and several streets without crosswalks) My son grew up in one of the safest cities and with literally one exception all the the kids walked with an adult (including the kids 10 door down from the school) I'm in no way saying raising 7 kids was easy but the were huge differences in what that means over the last  25-50 years.

Oh I agree, and while I adored my grandmother, I do suspect there was some level of fuzzy memory as well as differences in generations.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Shalamar

« Reply #26298 on: April 10, 2014, 02:52:08 PM »
When my daughters were 4 and 2, respectively, my dad called me on the phone to chat.  "How are you?" he asked.  "Ugh, I'm exhausted," I replied.  He said with honest curiosity "Why?"   ::)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26299 on: April 10, 2014, 02:57:51 PM »
Back when my older two were toddlers/young ones, their bedtime was 8pm.  More than once my  mother would call at 8 or a few minutes till and get bent out of shape because I refused to talk because I was working on putting them to bed.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #26300 on: April 10, 2014, 03:12:27 PM »
A lot of the "golden olden days" is just faded memories of the bad.

My mom goes on and on about how bad crime has gotten and how the news media is so negative. I try to point out that the advent of modern technology means we know the bad things that are happening and when did good news sell programming?

Xanadude

« Reply #26301 on: April 10, 2014, 06:29:29 PM »
Yarnspinner - in regards to Libraries/Copy Machines:

About five years ago my library system did away with copy machines for the public (excepting the Main Library with the rare books, etc). With the advent of so many copy stores, and the increasing amount of people complaining that our cost was not competitive (true), and the fact that our machines were all old and in need of replacing, it was just decided to do away with them entirely.  If someone needs to make a copy of a reference book, we check it out to them for 24 hours.

Granted, we have a staff multipurpose device (copies, scans/emails, faxes, etc), but not one available to the public.

You can always tell the people that have not been to a library in years when they run frantically in asking for the copy machine and when informed we know longer have one are just aghast! shocked! shocked, I tells ya! and then slink out upon being informed we haven't had them in 5 years.

BB-VA

« Reply #26302 on: April 10, 2014, 06:49:20 PM »
I know a guy who was diagnosed at age 9 with diabetes type 1.  He was always babied by his mother and when he once went to Disney with his best friend and no parents when they were in their early 20's, this guy ended up collapsing due to low blood sugar cause he hadn't learned how to manage it despite having it for at least 10 years up to that point.   And from what his friend told us, it wasn't a case of something affecting him differently than he'd expected (my brother's also diabetic and some foods cause his bs to spike more than others)

Well he married and suddenly monitoring his diabetes became wifey's job, not his, but he'd fight her whenever she'd try to look out for him.  ::) He'd give himself the shots but she had to remind him to check his blood sugar and eat good food, not the junk food that sent his bs on a roller coaster ride.

Now they're divorcing and he works about 10 hrs a week so he brings in money but she makes more.  He makes enough to buy himself food but he spends it on junk and toys and copius amounts of alcohol.  She once said that she would just buy food for herself and lock it up to attempt to force some responsibility for his care on him and he told her that if he died of insulin shock she'd be found guilty of murder. 

He's also refusing to sign the papers because he doesn't want to have to be left to learn to take care of himself.  ::)

:o bwuh???

What was wrong with his mother?   Weren't there any educational services in their area?  or did she just have a pity party for her poor baby, or maybe think it would go away all by itself?

I have always known that my daughter's endocrinologist was amazing, but this story sends her WAY above the rest.  She helped found a summer camp for kids with medical problems, and between her and that camp, I have a very well educated and very independent child.  Plus I am diabetic myself and took plenty of local classes too, given FREE by the local hospital - resources are out there, and even better ones since the advent of the internet.

I am still boggled by this story.  (Continuing to shake head in disbelief)   :o

Actually, just thinking about that mother is beginning to make me angry. 
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26303 on: April 10, 2014, 08:25:39 PM »
I know a guy who was diagnosed at age 9 with diabetes type 1.  He was always babied by his mother and when he once went to Disney with his best friend and no parents when they were in their early 20's, this guy ended up collapsing due to low blood sugar cause he hadn't learned how to manage it despite having it for at least 10 years up to that point.   And from what his friend told us, it wasn't a case of something affecting him differently than he'd expected (my brother's also diabetic and some foods cause his bs to spike more than others)

Well he married and suddenly monitoring his diabetes became wifey's job, not his, but he'd fight her whenever she'd try to look out for him.  ::) He'd give himself the shots but she had to remind him to check his blood sugar and eat good food, not the junk food that sent his bs on a roller coaster ride.

Now they're divorcing and he works about 10 hrs a week so he brings in money but she makes more.  He makes enough to buy himself food but he spends it on junk and toys and copius amounts of alcohol.  She once said that she would just buy food for herself and lock it up to attempt to force some responsibility for his care on him and he told her that if he died of insulin shock she'd be found guilty of murder. 

He's also refusing to sign the papers because he doesn't want to have to be left to learn to take care of himself.  ::)

:o bwuh???

What was wrong with his mother?   Weren't there any educational services in their area?  or did she just have a pity party for her poor baby, or maybe think it would go away all by itself?

I have always known that my daughter's endocrinologist was amazing, but this story sends her WAY above the rest.  She helped found a summer camp for kids with medical problems, and between her and that camp, I have a very well educated and very independent child.  Plus I am diabetic myself and took plenty of local classes too, given FREE by the local hospital - resources are out there, and even better ones since the advent of the internet.

I am still boggled by this story.  (Continuing to shake head in disbelief)   :o

Actually, just thinking about that mother is beginning to make me angry.

It makes me angry on the wife's behalf too but on the other hand she enabled this mindset for the last 13 years they've been together, 10 of which they've been married so she knew he was like this going into the marriage. From what my friend told me of her MIL, the woman seems to think that friend should have taken over for her in looking after her son's diabetes.  He was the youngest of 3, the only boy so I think all of those meant to her she had to baby him.  ::)

My younger brother was diagnosed at 11 and as much as I complain about my parents, I have to give them this, they did much, much better by my brother.  He was giving himself his own injections before he even left the hospital.  My parent's anniversary fell the same weekend. I'd come home from college and told them "Go celebrate, I'll stay with brother and make sure he does what he needs" which they appreciated. 

Mom educated me before they left on how much insulin he needed based on what the glucometer read, but as it turned out I didn't really need to know because he was able to take care of it all himself.  By the time he was 12 he was on the pump and managing that on his own.  He was very active in sports in high school, once even the captain of the wrestling team, which definitely helped his bs levels and while his AIC wasn't always perfect, he did pretty well in managing his diet.

He's now 27 and while he will drink he's smart enough to know just how much. One time we had them over for dinner and his gf had some ice cream and he just took small bites off her ice cream bar. If we go across the street to the ice cream store he usually just buys a diet pepsi for himself. 

I think the only time Mom gave my brother insulin was when he was young and sleeping because he'd had pizza which would cause his BS to spike a few hours after eating it.

And oh, my brother went to a diabetes camp too. I think it might have been in Virginia too so it might have been the same one your daughter attended.

Both my brother and I have endocrine issues, incidentally.  He's diabetic, I have hypothyroidism. The only other person in the family who had type 1 in our family was a great uncle who died at the age of 4 because they didn't have insulin then.

jayhawk

• my organizing website
« Reply #26304 on: April 10, 2014, 09:56:17 PM »
I keep trying to get my husband on board with learning how to handle finances or at least know what is what.  He finds it easier to just get an allowance and then ask me if we have enough money to get things if he wants something that costs more than he has in cash.  I'm mentally going  ::) because he's going to need to know these things when/if I die before him.

We must be sister-wives. I keep telling him he'd better hope he goes first.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26305 on: April 10, 2014, 09:59:16 PM »
My DH tends to do more of the financial stuff but he's also better organized and is better with math than I am.  However, he keeps a detailed budget of what the monthly payments are, how much debt we have and to whom, how much has paid how much is left on our vehicle and mortgage, as well as what he expects for variable bills such as utilities and phone.

dawnfire

« Reply #26306 on: April 10, 2014, 10:34:16 PM »
Years ago I saw a bit of a tv reality program with the pinnacle of the SS kid (think young adult who acts like a bratty 3 y/old) who never had to lift a finger and thought everything was owned to her.
I myself was still a teenager, it made me shudder.
I think the only time a kid is too young to help out is before they can crawl.

my teen son wants one for his youngest brother (5 months old). i think he wants to video it and put it up of youtube.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 10:42:55 PM by dawnfire »

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26307 on: April 10, 2014, 10:49:11 PM »
^ I see nothing wrong with that.

I nominate the SS people who live in my complex and either aren't on the lease (no gate card) or can't remember their gate code.

Instead, they park in front of the gate, completely blocking the entrance.  ::)

One of the complex managers told them today they had to move.  >:D

Reika

« Reply #26308 on: April 11, 2014, 10:03:29 PM »
There's been an increasing trend in my area of drivers sitting at a green light and not moving until just the last minute before the light turns red so that no one else can go through the light and they have to wait until the light turns green again. Maybe this isn't snowflakery, but outright jerkiness, but it seemed fitting for this thread.

Though mom did have a tale of sweet revenge on one of these charming people. She works in a convenience store and often has local cops stopping by, either as part of their patrol, or for their break. One of them told mom that one of the snowflakes pulled the above stunt on a cop. It earned the flake 5 tickets which caused his license to be suspended for at least 3 months.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26309 on: April 12, 2014, 12:47:50 PM »
We have a similar issue in my area, but it is the driver not paying attention. It generally takes a few honks to get them moving. The one guy in front of me yesterday kept leaning down into his passenger side floor area and I had to honk at him three separate times, since he payed no attention to the lights!