Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5046127 times)

darling

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #26325 on: April 14, 2014, 08:01:36 PM »
Dear Snowflake mom,

When you leave your 4 year old child and his younger sibling in:

- the unlocked car
- 200 feet from the store
- in a crowded parking lot
- in below-zero temperatures
- for 20 minutes while you do your grocery shopping...

Please do not be surprised that I have called the police to have them check on your children. I (sincerely, without sarcasm or anger) hope that the conversation you had with the constable helped you reconsider your decision. I saw that you clearly care very much for your kids and I hope you remain safe and well.

Good for you! I wonder what the heck she was thinking?

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26326 on: April 14, 2014, 08:34:45 PM »
To our idiot neighbors:

I dearly hope for the sake of your family that the visit from the firemen and police last week might have had an impact on you enough to stop setting fires in your backyard. You're not in a place where it's really safe to have bonfires in your backyard. Not when you have a small backyard and there's a rather tall tree back there. 

Not to mention you're part of a duplex and the houses are quite close together.  All very good reasons to not be unleashing your pyromania in your backyard.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

cabbageweevil

« Reply #26327 on: April 15, 2014, 12:52:52 PM »
I keep trying to get my husband on board with learning how to handle finances or at least know what is what.  He finds it easier to just get an allowance and then ask me if we have enough money to get things if he wants something that costs more than he has in cash.  I'm mentally going  ::) because he's going to need to know these things when/if I die before him.

The various stories of one of a couple being clueless about finances or other practicalities, and totally dependent on the other for same, bring to mind a dear late uncle and aunt of mine.  They were both lovely people, very happily married for fifty years; he was a dreamy, vague character with considerable artistic talent, she was the one with the practical abilities, who handled all the financial and administrative stuff, in which he was totally uninterested and which he was very happy to hand over entirely to her, and himself know nothing about it. (There is an innumeracy gene in our family -- I'm terrible arithmetically, but my uncle was beyond terrible: on a good day, he could add 2 + 2 and maybe get 4 as the answer, twice running.)

For some reason, my uncle was convinced that he would die first, out of the two of them. Unfortunately, that was not how things came about -- she predeceased him by some five years.  That last half-decade was for him in many ways a confused, unhappy time -- he was in his mid / late eighties and his mind was no longer serving him all that well.  We all helped him according to our ability: relations and friends tried to teach him such things as how banks worked, how to write a cheque, and so on; but it was a losing struggle for the poor old guy.  If people as a whole were more sensible, they'd take thought as to how they would cope if they were left on their own; but very often, people just "don't do sensible".

Xanadude

« Reply #26328 on: April 15, 2014, 03:48:11 PM »
It's April 15.  Tax Day in the USA.  My library has been offering free tax help through a volunteer organization since January on every Tuesday.  Tuesday fell on tax day.  The volunteers are here.  They have a certain window of time they are able to help people due to the building schedule.

I have, so far, had fifteen people scream at my staff and almost had to call the police because the number of slots available filled up within fifteen minutes of opening.  People didn't understand why they couldn't just go in and ask a simple question.  Or why, if it was advertised as being from time A to time B, why they weren't accepting more people (it is advertised that way but it also says First Come, First Served and limited availability).

I've been biting my tongue, wanting to tell people that it is neither my staff's fault or the volunteers' fault that YOU waited until the last day to get this done. And no, we are not bending the rule for you. 

Yarnspinner

« Reply #26329 on: April 15, 2014, 04:18:12 PM »
Not exactly a snowflake, but doesn't fit anywhere else.  A young woman came to the desk demanding we give her an IRS extension form.  We don't have them, but we can access them on the internet.  I said to her "Well, I can print them off of--" 

That was as far as I got.  She saw someone she knew and went running over to them and they stood and talked in the doorway of the library for 20 minutes.  Meanwhile, I printed out the extension form.  Which would have been free if she had been pleasant, but if she ever comes back, it will now be full price.  Because I don't like to be walked away from when I am talking to you.

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #26330 on: April 15, 2014, 05:12:23 PM »
My supervisor just called the non-emergency line to report a couple who were setting up for a game of scrabble.

In their vehicle.
In our company parking lot.
In the middle of the afternoon.
In a business district.
In front of our picture window.

Fortunately, they noticed that they had attracted quite a bit of attention and packed up their boards and went elsewhere.

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #26331 on: April 15, 2014, 08:02:39 PM »
My supervisor just called the non-emergency line to report a couple who were setting up for a game of scrabble.

In their vehicle.
In a business district.

Fortunately, they noticed that they had attracted quite a bit of attention and packed up their boards and went elsewhere.

I'm assuming you're referring to the euphemism, not the boardgame?
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #26332 on: April 15, 2014, 11:16:13 PM »

In their vehicle.
In a business district.

I'm assuming you're referring to the euphemism, not the boardgame?

Yes, indeed. They climbed into his truck and were very affectionate.   :P

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #26333 on: April 15, 2014, 11:39:40 PM »
My homeschool co-op was off today, so one mom invited us all to her house for brunch instead.  She lives in a townhouse in a long row of townhouses.  At one point, all the kids from the group were outside playing games on her little piece of front lawn and the sidewalk in front of her house.  Most of the kids were kindergarten/early elementary, with a few babies and two preschoolers.

Well, we saw the next door neighbor watching us for a few minutes from her window, with her toddler daughter.  Then she came out onto her front stoop with her daughter, still watching.  Then she brought her daughter (2) over to our group, got her involved a little bit in one of the activities (although she was too young to really understand anything), and then... disappeared inside!  Yes, she basically saw a large group of kids being overseen by several parents, and decided to have a few minutes to herself.

When we all finally went inside, one of the moms had to walk the little girl back to her door so she wouldn't be left outside alone.  Oy.

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #26334 on: April 16, 2014, 01:11:20 AM »
My homeschool co-op was off today, so one mom invited us all to her house for brunch instead.  She lives in a townhouse in a long row of townhouses.  At one point, all the kids from the group were outside playing games on her little piece of front lawn and the sidewalk in front of her house.  Most of the kids were kindergarten/early elementary, with a few babies and two preschoolers.

Well, we saw the next door neighbor watching us for a few minutes from her window, with her toddler daughter.  Then she came out onto her front stoop with her daughter, still watching.  Then she brought her daughter (2) over to our group, got her involved a little bit in one of the activities (although she was too young to really understand anything), and then... disappeared inside!  Yes, she basically saw a large group of kids being overseen by several parents, and decided to have a few minutes to herself.

When we all finally went inside, one of the moms had to walk the little girl back to her door so she wouldn't be left outside alone.  Oy.

That is incredibly disturbing.    "Hmm there are kids... I have a kid... I'll just leave my kid with theirs".    I wouldn't be leaving my kid anywhere unless I knew somebody was specifically taking responsibility for his wellbeing! 
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26335 on: April 16, 2014, 07:40:35 AM »
Yeah, that is some really odd thinking. I could see if mom needed to pop into the house to grab something and came back out, as I've found myself doing that. "Ooh, need my phone!" or "Oooh, child needs a jacket/hat!" but I'd be saying "Do you mind terribly looking after her for a quick second so I can grab something?"
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #26336 on: April 16, 2014, 08:38:23 AM »
Along those lines, there were two groups of Cub Scouts camping. Our group and another group. We were (as leaders) always very big on following all the rules and being good examples to our youth. We were at a campground out in the country, an hour from any sort of civilization. No pay phones, cell towers or fire stations within 15 miles of this campground.

The other group were not so big on following rules, whether major rules (every kid has to have a buddy, fires have to be manageable size) to minor rules (clean up after yourselves). They had a bonfire. They poured lighter fluid and gasoline on their very large bonfire. There were fireballs going into the sky.

The biggest thing they did wrong? Sunday morning, packed their stuff away, left a very messy camp and a 7-year old Cub Scout behind. For an hour and a half. We kept an eye on him and some of our kids spent the waiting time with him so he didn't feel alone.

We did get their information and we did report them to their Council, but who does that?

HGolightly

« Reply #26337 on: April 16, 2014, 09:25:51 AM »
I am incredibly sleep deprived this morning and had to re-read MommyPenguin and ladyknight1's posts!!!!!! Who does that and who does not do a head count of the children they brought?!!?!

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #26338 on: April 16, 2014, 09:33:01 AM »
Also, Cub Scouts camp as families. So the childs' own parents left him behind.

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #26339 on: April 16, 2014, 11:03:47 AM »
One thing I like as a Scout mom is the Leave No Trace walk at the end- line up and walk through the space you camped, picking up anything your group, or previous groups, may have left. 
It is amazing how a visual, "Yup, looks good," will then reveal, after the Trace walk, a bread bag full of random trash items.  Let alone, "oh, there is my (random item I did not realize I had lost!)"

And you feel good about taking care of things and being responsible.

Maybe I am just weird.  But I like teaching that to kids.  "Look what you can find when you clean up!"

And the fire?  I bet half the kids had not yet earned the right to "do" fire, let alone abuse it like that group did.

And for leaving the kid, NO comment, or I would get in trouble.   >:(
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.