Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5521634 times)

Mary Lennox

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #26370 on: April 18, 2014, 11:06:55 AM »
This scenario is all too common I gather, but it did irk me.

Was up in regional town and took the opportunity to do a quick stop for groceries I can't get in hometown.  So, 10 minutes and a small basket later, I rock up to the 15 items or less checkout.  Most of us in line had baskets, two had trolleys.  (Used to be you couldn't get trolleys through, but they've re-vamped the store.  Grr.) One only had a few items, but the other!  A full grocery shop, holding up everyone else in line for some time.  The poor cashier looked harried, and had bags piling up and almost spilling off her tiny counter.  She had to hold one bag while scanning, as there was nowhere else to put it.  The lady who had the trolley took her own sweet time in retrieving any bags and then even more time to fish for her wallet and pay. 

The rest of us heaved a collective sigh of relief when she left, and we all proceeded through as was meant from then on.  I noted that we were all especially nice to the cashier!

I do wonder about some people!

When I worked in checkouts, people would try bringing trolleys through the express lane piled high but with only 3 or 4 different items. In their mind the 5 cases of coke and the 5 of diet coke were only 2 items because they were all the same thing. Drove me insane!

wonderfullyanonymous

« Reply #26371 on: April 18, 2014, 11:53:14 AM »
I nominate the person who was price matching, whose order I had to re-ring, after she took advantage of another cashier.

I don't mind people who price match, I match myself, I save a lot of money that way. Throwing the phrase "I'm the customer, I'm always right" at me, will definitely not help your cause, neither will "I know the policy, it's in my car, so you want me to go get it?"

Having a fussy child won't work either. The child is your issue, if he's hungry, wet and tired, I will not give you what you want so I can get rid of you quicker.

You are correct, you don't need the ad, but it will take longer if I have to find the ones we have available to us, to verify your price. If you have a few things, I may not verify them, unless they seem way over board, but if you have a cart load, I will verify them. I can't afford to lose my job.

Your temper tantrum and crying will not help, either.

snowfire

« Reply #26372 on: April 18, 2014, 12:03:52 PM »
The guy in the pickup truck yesterday who hopped into the center turn lane from 3 cars behind me and roared past, at well over the speed limit.  He drove probably at least 500 feet, in the center lane, just to get into the dedicated left turn lane at the signal....where he was still waiting for traffic when I passed.  >:D

SCAJAfamily

« Reply #26373 on: April 18, 2014, 12:31:38 PM »
The guy in the pickup truck yesterday who hopped into the center turn lane from 3 cars behind me and roared past, at well over the speed limit.  He drove probably at least 500 feet, in the center lane, just to get into the dedicated left turn lane at the signal....where he was still waiting for traffic when I passed.  >:D

That happened to me yesterday too.  There was a huge accident at a major intersection.  Where we live there are no easy ways to go around this intersection so you had to go way out of your way to get around it.  The whole thing was a mess.

I needed to make many lefts and many lights and wait many round to get through.  One truck came roaring past me in the left turn center lane and came to a prompt halt when the concrete barrier prevented him from getting in the left turn lane (never mind that it was completely filled with cars).  He knew we were all turning left.  We all had to go around.  Then other cars saw him and started pilling up behind him so the left turn center lane was completely blocked for over 100 yards and now no one could go anywhere.

Two cycles later I finally turned left and could still see him in my rearview mirror trying to get into the lane to turn left.  No one would let him or the piled up cars in.  A normal 15 minute trip to my parents house took 45 minutes.  Oh well.

Other than that, everyone was patient, I'll admit.  It was a mess.
SCAJAfamily = dd S 22, ds C 15, ds A 12, dh J and myself dw A

Specky

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #26375 on: April 18, 2014, 07:21:17 PM »
Seriously - she comes off like some kind of sociopath - blaming the bicycle rider that SHE hit for the accident and being more upset about the dent in her car than the other person's spinal damage...

Umm - is she living inside a soap opera where they'll just replace the actors around her if they get injured and can't keep up with the demands that her leading role in the show places on them?

Or something equally outrageous?
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Yarnspinner

« Reply #26376 on: April 18, 2014, 10:33:19 PM »
Two SS Stories, one mine and the other from a friend...

1)  Our condo board met last night and a unit owner who has been ignoring warnings about rule violations FINALLY showed up ONLY because we started fining him massive amounts of money.  (Funny how violations get fixed now that we are fining people in three digits.)  He went on and on for forty five minutes about how he shouldn't be fined because he never got any of the warnings (We know they were received because someone signed for them) and he's been sick and it's not fair because he's been in the country for 30 years and has worked hard and now he's losing everything. 

But here's the thing.  He kept changing the story:  sometimes he was in the country 50 years and other times, 30.  He had diabetes and heart disease...and one of my fellow board members said "Me, too.  I've had three surgeries in the last five months.  Somehow I still pay my bills.  Then it was his mother's fault for not giving him the letters on time.  Then he had no money.  Then he was paying out a few thousand on another condo he owned...the upshot of this was, no matter how many times it was pointed out that he DID in fact receive and sign for letters, he only acted when we started fining him.

He left...then kept coming back.  We had agreed we were going to reduce the fine since he had finally fixed the violation, but we were reconsidering it after he came back the fourth time to whine at us some more.   

2) A friend told me about HER friend's teen son's friend.  Max just got his driver's license.  In our state you are not allowed to drive for several months unless the person in the car with you is a responsible adult.  No friends, no peers, and so on.

Max lied to his friends, claimed the months were up, took the neighbor's car and took them joy riding.   He got the car up to 100 miles per hour (according to friend's friend.)  Kids were screaming for him to stop and let them out.  He only did when the police caught up with him and stopped him...and fined him Large Sum of Money and took away driver's license.

Max is an idiot and his friends are probably not terribly bright, but what puts this in special snowflake territory is that Max's parents want the neighbor (whose car Max essentially stole) and the other kids in the car, to share in the fine. 

Friend's friend says it isn't going to happen.

Yarnspinner

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #26378 on: April 19, 2014, 03:11:21 AM »

2) A friend told me about HER friend's teen son's friend.  Max just got his driver's license.  In our state you are not allowed to drive for several months unless the person in the car with you is a responsible adult.  No friends, no peers, and so on.

Max lied to his friends, claimed the months were up, took the neighbor's car and took them joy riding.   He got the car up to 100 miles per hour (according to friend's friend.)  Kids were screaming for him to stop and let them out.  He only did when the police caught up with him and stopped him...and fined him Large Sum of Money and took away driver's license.

Max is an idiot and his friends are probably not terribly bright, but what puts this in special snowflake territory is that Max's parents want the neighbor (whose car Max essentially stole) and the other kids in the car, to share in the fine. 

There was a similar incident near here - but 4 of the other teenagers died. They stole the neighbor's car, tried to "jump" the car going way to fast over an unlit/unguarded railroad crossing (Many RR crossings here are still higher than roads like massive speed bumps) There was a train stopped on the tracks.

4 kids were killed and 2 including the driver survived. The families tried to put the blame on the RR company (Which had broken no rules, regulations or laws) and the poor woman who's car was stolen and totaled. When she was interviewed she expressed sympathy for the teens who were killed and injured but also mentioned she didn't know what she was going to do to get to work. Which the families tried to play up as if she were an selfish person. I think the kids were able to get her keys from the house or carport so the parents said it was her fault they stole the car.

The driver plead no contest was was sentenced to 8 years. 
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

geekette

« Reply #26379 on: April 19, 2014, 03:34:22 AM »
Unfortunately, my boss was a horrible snowflake recently.

Boss and I went to a conference recently - the sort where you book and pay to attend, and in return they give you lots of yummy food along with the conference content.

Conference comes, and then food is laid out for lunch. Along with the hot foods and salad, there's a sealed Caesar salad sitting off to the side. Boss is on a diet, and so opens up the Caesar salad because it has more lettuce and he isn't going to eat anything else.

Me: That's a sealed salad, and there's a name on the side. That's for someone specific.
Boss: Why would they get their own salad?
Me: They probably can't eat anything else because of food allergies. Leave it and eat the other salad.
Boss: Its fine. They're not here, so they don't want it, and besides there's plenty. And if they want more salad, they can eat the shared one as well.
Me: No, the open salad might contain what their allergic too, or be cross-contaminated from the kitchen.
Boss: Oh.

And then continued to dole out forkfuls of the sealed salad onto his plate.

To whoever it was that went hungry that day, I'm so sorry.  :-\

eltf177

« Reply #26380 on: April 19, 2014, 04:19:47 AM »

Good!

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #26381 on: April 19, 2014, 05:21:31 AM »
Reading some of the posts I just realized I was a special snowflake all through childhood.

Where I grew up there was a Blue, a Yellow, a Pink, a Purple and a Red Church all within 6 blocks of each other.  And there was an Aqua church about a mile away.  While I was expected to read the Bible, my family didn't go to church much. 

I did, however.  During the summer I would get bored on Sunday and go to random Sunday Schools or stop in at different VBS during the week and help make popsicle stick arks or whatever.  Every single church in the neighborhood a few times a year.

Only now do I realize that I was being a special snowflake.  I don't know how I would go about apologizing, it's been over 40 years.

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #26382 on: April 19, 2014, 05:38:33 AM »
What's SS about that, zyrs? Doesn't seem like an issue to me.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #26383 on: April 19, 2014, 05:47:11 AM »
What's SS about that, zyrs? Doesn't seem like an issue to me.

Well, we weren't members of any of the churches; I never signed up to be at VBS.  This random child would show up for church, go to Sunday School, maybe stay for the sermon and then leave.  When we went to church we went to a church across town.  They had no idea where I lived or how to get in touch with my mom if something happened to me.  I was really putting them all at risk.

Tosca

« Reply #26384 on: April 19, 2014, 06:38:01 AM »
The car stories have reminded me of something that tends to happen every couple of years in my home state.

A group of young teenagers (usually siblings and cousins) steal a car and go joyriding late at night.  Police spot a stolen car being driven erratically and hit the siren.  The kids panic, try to outrun the cops and crash the car.  The whole mess ends with several injured or dead kids.

The family of the kids says it's the police's fault for giving chase.