Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5103094 times)

Hillia

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #26505 on: April 27, 2014, 01:07:24 PM »
We had a similar odd situation right after we moved in, although it was honest misunderstanding with no SS-ness involved.  A couple showed up at our house 2 or 3 days after we had moved in, expecting to meet their realtor there to view it.  After a very confusing few minutes, they got their realtor on the phone and discovered that they were at the wrong house.  We're in a rural  area, and directions are used more than street numbers.  So they were going to 'the last house on ABC street - it's tan with brown trim'.  We're the last house on the north end of the street; it curves around for a few miles and the last house on the south end of the street is also tan with brown trim (although not as cute as ours  ;D  ).  They were very apologetic and disappointed, as they'd been very excited about the house.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #26506 on: April 27, 2014, 01:22:26 PM »
From Customers Suck. The OP is full of non-eHell approved language, so I will summarize.
http://www.customerssuck.com/board/showthread.php?t=105995

OP works nights at a hotel. A 12-year old boy is staying with his parents. He is first spotted "wandering the lobby flipping every trash can he sees on its side." He is taken to his room where his parents say "Well, we really can't control him, he's just a free spirit." Parents are told that they are indeed expected to control him and that he should not be wandering alone.

Half an hour later, desk gets noise complaints. Same boy is "walking from door to door, punching it, and screaming 'Time to wake [obscenity] up!' "  Parents are told that if there are any more problems, they will be evicted.

At 1 AM, poster is checking the area and is just in time to spot the boy pulling the fire alarm. Fire department shows up, police show up & family is evicted. Parents are making all kinds of excuses for the boy. They are informed that fire dept will bill them for costs and hotel will charge them for the rooms that were comped due to inconvenience.

OP calls other nearby hotels to warm them, but one hotel apparently didn't get the message soon enough. Family comes back to get a new room because they have been kicked out of a second hotel, due to the boy's actions. They are informed that they are now trespassing. They begin to argue until OP says he will call police.

OP's hotel will be billing parents over $1500. Second hotel will be billing them for the trouble. Fire Dept. will be billing them. All because Junior is a free spirit who should be indulged.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #26507 on: April 27, 2014, 01:46:07 PM »
"Free spirit"?  I think the term "brat" sums it up quite nicely.  The parents say they "can't" control him, but it's a lot more like they won't control him.  If my mother had been in that hotel, the desk clerk would have been summoned to a situation with raised voices where my mother would have had the kid by the ear and would have been reading the parents up one side and down the other for not making him behave.   

twiggy

• wonder what this thing is
« Reply #26508 on: April 28, 2014, 01:59:51 AM »
I can't decide if they're true SS or just annoyingly brilliant loophole finders, but I nominate the "campers" we almost encountered this weekend. My Dad's side of the family has an annual family reunion camping trip. Our preferred location, A, cannot be reserved beforehand. You go in, and it's first come, first served. And you have to buy a pass for every vehicle you bring in. A lot of people just come up for the day on Saturday, several come up on Friday and set up camp, and a couple of people come up on Thursday to make sure we have enough space and to do early prep (like setting up the camper for Grandma, and clearing rocks/twigs where some of the older generations will set up their camps. They're a bit proud and wouldn't appreciate the help if they knew about it, but since we've been going to the same spot for so many years, everyone tends to have their favorite spot.). Campers are brought in, cars/trucks are parked, and atvs are there. So the whole time we're there, several vehicle passes are being bought and used.

This year, Dad got a call from Uncle on Wed. Some group had arrived early and pitched tents in every available space. There are 40 camp spots, and 50 tents were pitched. They had been set up and left behind. So this group was able to reserve the entire area without paying any fees because they drove off, and the fee is per vehicle, not per tent/campspot. Uncle has a camper on his truck and was able to find a parking spot. He ended up staying through the weekend. About 15 families came up and left Saturday. It was storming, and actually ended up snowing  :o so they may have intended to camp Saturday night, but that group essentially held 40 camp spots for most of a week without actually camping. Our group of 20ish families had to go to location C (B was closed due to high fire danger), and the Forest service lost out on $XXXX that our group would have paid over the course of the weekend.
In the United States today, there is a pervasive tendency to treat children as adults, and adults as children.  The options of children are thus steadily expanded, while those of adults are progressively constricted.  The result is unruly children and childish adults.  ~Thomas Szasz

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #26509 on: April 28, 2014, 02:11:49 AM »
This takes the idea of chair hogging on cruise ships to a whole new level.  :o

HappilyInsane

« Reply #26510 on: April 28, 2014, 03:30:50 AM »
xz       CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

I have a feeling greetcat had an actual cat post ;)

Errr...I also have that feeling, because that definitely wasn't me!

One of the kitties had an SS story. Anyone have a kitty that will translate for us? My own kitty is refusing to help me.
According to my Himalayan, it was a complaint about an empty food bowl. But then again, all his conversations with me concern an empty (ie 3/4 full) food bowl. He's a snooty snowflake.

Margo

« Reply #26511 on: April 28, 2014, 04:33:22 AM »
"Free spirit"?  I think the term "brat" sums it up quite nicely.  The parents say they "can't" control him, but it's a lot more like they won't control him.  If my mother had been in that hotel, the desk clerk would have been summoned to a situation with raised voices where my mother would have had the kid by the ear and would have been reading the parents up one side and down the other for not making him behave.

It may be that after 12 years of indulgence they *can't* control him. Some 12 years old are pretty big..

greencat

« Reply #26512 on: April 28, 2014, 04:40:33 AM »
xz       CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

I have a feeling greetcat had an actual cat post ;)

Errr...I also have that feeling, because that definitely wasn't me!

One of the kitties had an SS story. Anyone have a kitty that will translate for us? My own kitty is refusing to help me.
According to my Himalayan, it was a complaint about an empty food bowl. But then again, all his conversations with me concern an empty (ie 3/4 full) food bowl. He's a snooty snowflake.

Food bowl empty, food bowl covered up by something (one of the adult cats keeps covering it with shoes/clothes/grocery bags/toys/etc), food bowl contains dry food but not the more desirable wet food...well do I know the complaints of the food bowl.

I was a special snowflake last night, according to the kittens - I wanted to actually sleep on my bed, but they were using it  ::)

phred246

« Reply #26513 on: April 28, 2014, 06:52:31 AM »
You actually dared to use the bed that Their Royal Highnesses were using?!
Work fascinates me! I can stare at it for hours!

MissRose

« Reply #26514 on: April 28, 2014, 07:34:18 AM »
I was at an outlet mall yesterday.  One store has recently started a going out of business sale.  One guy walked in the store while I was browsing and saying 'competing store in another town with same products and issue was selling things for a lower price' to a sales person.  Like the sales person has any control over the sales prices and percentage off!

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #26515 on: April 28, 2014, 08:38:45 AM »
There are 40 camp spots, and 50 tents were pitched. They had been set up and left behind. So this group was able to reserve the entire area without paying any fees because they drove off,

Could you not have moved the unattended tents? Of course, that would have been cause for a huge fight.

Or sicced a ranger on them?

HoneyBee42

« Reply #26516 on: April 28, 2014, 08:46:03 AM »
Another driving one.

As background, it has rained *a lot* in the past day and a half.  Areas south of me are under flash flood warnings, but we're far enough from other bodies of water that we're not in danger of rivers/creeks overflowing.  Still, on my route to work, there was one spot where a storm drain had clearly gotten overwhelmed, and half the street (other side from where I was driving) was under water.  You could clearly see the edges of the water (spreading puddle from the drainage ditch on the side).

So, it's not that wide of a street in the best of times, and it is obvious that anyone heading north on the street (I'm heading south) will have to move into the southbound driving area to safely continue.  However, the SS was the northbound driver as I am heading southbound, who *accelerates* so as to get there before me, crossing into my lane and forcing me to brake hard to avoid the head-on collision.

Yes, I know they had to cross into my lane for safety, but what I was taught in driver's ed was that if you had to cross into opposing traffic lanes to avoid something (water of unknown depth on the road, a parked car, some object dropped into your lane, or whatever else) that you were supposed to *wait* and that the people in the lane who were traveling in the proper direction have right of way.  Furthermore, the road is still wet on both sides (still raining), so how SS do you have to be to accelerate and execute several sharp turns (chopping from one lane to the other and back when the pavement is wet?  Watching your back end slide around in evidence of the oversteering is not something I want to see when you are traveling toward me at a rate of speed probably above the actual speed limit, let alone safe-for-conditions speed.

There was no one behind me at the time, it wasn't like there was a solid line of cars that they would have had to wait for, just take an extra minute to wait for me to pass (per rules of road) and no need to drive like a maniac on wet roads, but clearly it was far more important that they get there first and not have to wait at all.

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #26517 on: April 28, 2014, 10:21:39 AM »
Speaking of strollers, I was once a bit of an SS myself on an airplane.  I'd gone to visit my parents in Vancouver with my daughter, who was 14 months old at the time.   My parents bought an umbrella stroller for us to use while we were there, then they said I could take it back with me.   Mum said "Take it on the plane and put it in the overhead compartment - then, when the plane lands, you can just put the baby in it.   It'll make your life much easier."   Except that the stroller, still being very new, was stiff and refused to pop open when we landed.   I struggled with it for what felt like an eternity while the nasty flight attendant (she was a piece of work, I tell you what) rolled her eyes and kept saying "Ma'am, you're holding people up."

Finally, a nice passenger helped me get it open, and I fled!

Why didn't you just wait until most of the people had left if you were having difficulties?

Shalamar

« Reply #26518 on: April 28, 2014, 11:08:06 AM »
I probably should have, true.  I wasn't thinking too clearly by that point (it had been a horrible flight, mostly because of aforementioned flight attendant), and I just wanted to get the heck out of there.

darling

« Reply #26519 on: April 28, 2014, 11:13:32 AM »
I can't decide if they're true SS or just annoyingly brilliant loophole finders, but I nominate the "campers" we almost encountered this weekend. My Dad's side of the family has an annual family reunion camping trip. Our preferred location, A, cannot be reserved beforehand. You go in, and it's first come, first served. And you have to buy a pass for every vehicle you bring in. A lot of people just come up for the day on Saturday, several come up on Friday and set up camp, and a couple of people come up on Thursday to make sure we have enough space and to do early prep (like setting up the camper for Grandma, and clearing rocks/twigs where some of the older generations will set up their camps. They're a bit proud and wouldn't appreciate the help if they knew about it, but since we've been going to the same spot for so many years, everyone tends to have their favorite spot.). Campers are brought in, cars/trucks are parked, and atvs are there. So the whole time we're there, several vehicle passes are being bought and used.

This year, Dad got a call from Uncle on Wed. Some group had arrived early and pitched tents in every available space. There are 40 camp spots, and 50 tents were pitched. They had been set up and left behind. So this group was able to reserve the entire area without paying any fees because they drove off, and the fee is per vehicle, not per tent/campspot. Uncle has a camper on his truck and was able to find a parking spot. He ended up staying through the weekend. About 15 families came up and left Saturday. It was storming, and actually ended up snowing  :o so they may have intended to camp Saturday night, but that group essentially held 40 camp spots for most of a week without actually camping. Our group of 20ish families had to go to location C (B was closed due to high fire danger), and the Forest service lost out on $XXXX that our group would have paid over the course of the weekend.

I would've notified the park service. They probably would have been kicked out. You don't get to do stuff like that, and those people should have been ashamed of themselves...