Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5423141 times)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #26640 on: May 02, 2014, 09:10:16 PM »
That reminds me of a Til Debt Do Us Part episode.  In case you don't know the show, it's a reality TV show about people with big money troubles.  Then, an extremely no-nonsense Canadian lady (Gail Vaz-Oxlade) steps in to sort them out.  There was one young couple that drove me mad - the wife was a substitute teacher, and Gail told her to try to get more hours to earn some extra $.  The wife went onto the school district's website, saw that a nearby school needed a sub for that day - and said "Meh, I'm not going to bother."

I told DH, that when BIL prays for extra money - he intends that a huge bundle of it should be dropped on his front lawn.   Any other option is unacceptable.

I've always known people like that and I am always having to bite my  tongue to keep from saying "God helps those who help themselves."
A friend of DD's says that if God really wanted him to win the lottery, he'd find the winning ticket on the sidewalk. 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

JoW

« Reply #26641 on: May 02, 2014, 09:53:48 PM »
I ran across a snowflake this evening at McDonalds.  He parked diagonally across 2 spaces.  The way his car was positioned he needed a 3rd space, the one behind him, to back out.  He was quite close to the door.  And this was at about 5:30pm - prime dinner time.  He was there when I arrived and was still there after I finished my dinner and left. 

magician5

« Reply #26642 on: May 02, 2014, 11:01:04 PM »
I can't imagine letting your kids try to pet the buffalo, either.  We crept through the Custer State Park's herd a couple of years ago, as they ambled along and across the road -- and the pair of young teenage boys in the back seat said they were very glad that there was glass between the buffalo and the people!   There were buffalo noseprints on the outside of the windows, where they'd stuck their noses in, maybe to see if people would feed them?  There are idiots who try to feed bears, so there must certainly be those who would feed buffalo crackers or cookies.  We took our closeups from inside the van.

Didn't Roger Miller advise (in song) "You Can't Roller Skate in a Buffalo Herd"?
There is no 'way to peace.' Peace is the way.

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #26643 on: May 02, 2014, 11:07:14 PM »
Multiple people tonight at a play I went to were Special Snowflakes.  It was a high school production of the musical Jekyll and Hyde and it was incredible!  The kid who played Jekyll/Hyde was just amazing and everyone else in the cast was really strong.  At the beginning, they asked that all cell phones be turned off, not just silenced, as the microphones were on the same frequency as some cell phones and could interfere.  Sadly, my enjoyment was somewhat marred by:
- the two women in the row in front of us who kept turning their phones on and off to check for messages, read the program, etc etc. 
- the woman in the row behind us who turned the flashlight function on her phone on so that the BRIGHT white light was suddenly right in my face and was actually taking calls during the play.  Also, her son who kept yawning loudly and sighing heavily whenever there was singing (it was musical, so pretty constantly)
- the teen three rows ahead of us who decided the perfect position to watch the play in was to hook his heads behind his head and spread his elbows out so that it blocked 3/4 of the stage for anyone who wasn't lucky enough to be able to see over him. 

EMuir

« Reply #26644 on: May 03, 2014, 03:52:48 AM »

It seems people are so squicked out by vomit they won't step forward to help for fear it's contagious I suppose.

Two weeks ago, I started vomiting on the street at 4pm in the afternoon while carrying my 15 month old son.   I was professionally dressed (had just finished work and picked him up from daycare) and was carrying him as well as his backpack.   I was on a busy street, next to a bus stop and cafe, and multiple office buildings. I vomited, attempted to move to the side out of the way, vomited again, and then after putting my son down again a third time (sorry for too much TMI, just trying to illustrate the situation and time passing).   After I had composed myself and was comforting my son (he was freaked out, understandably!) I was then about to call my husband to see if he could get to us, when a lady from a nearby office came and asked if I needed help.  I ended up asking her to carry my son to the car for me as I thought I would be ok if I just made it to the car and sat down. (I was). 

It was only later that night, tucked up in bed, that I thought "Wait - how did I throw up 3 times in the space of 2 minutes without anybody asking if I was OK?  Surely I wouldn't ignore somebody in that situation?"   And in retrospect, I can recall *hearing* people react around me, kind of eeewww or 'look at that' type noises.   Being doubled over at the time I'm not 100% how many people were nearby, but it was a lot.   Some sitting, some walking.   I guess it's good ole bystander effect - everybody assumes somebody else will do something.   :-\     I'm normally a big believer in the good in the world - I encounter more nice strangers than unpleasant ones - but I am a little disappointed that people were so disinterested, and I hope I would respond differently myself were I to see that happen.   No SS's in this story, but thought it was relevant to the conversation.

Just requoting this to point out that Caellach never mentioned being pregnant.  It would be the one case where people may be less fearful and more sympathetic, but not all women are showing when they feel nauseous.

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #26645 on: May 03, 2014, 05:52:58 AM »
My husband is a Marketing Mgr for a Bud Distributor, and part of what he does is coordinate visits from a Clydesdale hitch for special events and such.  They come to town for a week or so and make appearances, have visiting hours etc.  I frequently attend these events, helping DH out where I can. 

It is unbelievable to me how many people throw fits because they are not allowed to take their picture sitting on one of the horses.  Huge work horses who are not raised for riding.  Also, when the team is hitched up to the wagon, absolutely no one other than their professional handlers are allowed to touch them.  No petting, no getting within touching distance.  This is obviously (to me at least) a safety policy - if one of the horses were to startle or rear, it could cause them all to, and you can imagine how much 6-8 Clydesdales AND a huge wagon weighs.  Things could get ugly very fast.  But people will whine and moan about how their little snowflake is different, she just loves "horsies", she should be allowed to get up close, blah blah blah.

Sounds like it's more trouble than it's worth to have the horses there.  That's such a shame, that SS people get to spoil it.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #26646 on: May 03, 2014, 10:49:39 AM »
I can't imagine letting your kids try to pet the buffalo, either.  We crept through the Custer State Park's herd a couple of years ago, as they ambled along and across the road -- and the pair of young teenage boys in the back seat said they were very glad that there was glass between the buffalo and the people!   There were buffalo noseprints on the outside of the windows, where they'd stuck their noses in, maybe to see if people would feed them?  There are idiots who try to feed bears, so there must certainly be those who would feed buffalo crackers or cookies.  We took our closeups from inside the van.

Didn't Roger Miller advise (in song) "You Can't Roller Skate in a Buffalo Herd"?

The problem is, that's an old song, nobody LISTENS to it any more!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Library Dragon

« Reply #26647 on: May 04, 2014, 12:13:37 AM »
The SS attending a luncheon last week.  When ordering a ticket it was mandatory to indicate if you (general) wanted the regular, vegetarian, or gluten free meal.  There was also a mandatory allergy yes or no box to check.  If yes, a box to indicate what type. SS didn't indicate that she had a lettuce allergy or any allergy.  The main dish was a southwestern salad with lots of lettuce.  We would never have selected it if we had known.

She whined and complained the entire meal, including during the speeches.

There was one person allergic to broccoli and let us know when ordering her ticket.  We didn't have broccoli at any meal event. 

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #26648 on: May 04, 2014, 01:51:46 AM »
I think I have told this story before but back in the 1970s we went to South Dakota on vacation and one day we decided to drive through Custer. We were on some dinky little side road and got to the end- or possibly a no further sign; I no longer remember which - and turned around and were suddenly in the middle of a herd of buffalo. We could only go as fast as they did and it took us about half an hour  to go 3/4 of a mile. I still remember how our car shook when they brushed up against us.

snowfire

« Reply #26649 on: May 04, 2014, 03:44:34 PM »
You don't want to argue with Buffalo or Beefalo.  A friend of mine used to work on a cattle ranch.  Most cattle will move out of the way for a horse or truck.  Buffalo & beefalo will broadside the horse or the truck just for fun because they have an attitude & a very hard head.

Adelaide

« Reply #26650 on: May 04, 2014, 04:55:16 PM »
I was talking about how I'd lost a lot of weight and gotten fitter recently and a woman said "Oh yeah? I'm flabby because I brought a beautiful life into the world. Where has your toned body gotten you?"

If there was ever a time I wanted to be catty, it was this one. But I avoided it. Barely.

newbiePA

• Outside the Marinara Zone- our new blog :)
« Reply #26651 on: May 04, 2014, 05:07:04 PM »
I was talking about how I'd lost a lot of weight and gotten fitter recently and a woman said "Oh yeah? I'm flabby because I brought a beautiful life into the world. Where has your toned body gotten you?"

If there was ever a time I wanted to be catty, it was this one. But I avoided it. Barely.

Wow, what a horrible thing for her to say.  I don't know if I would have been able to hold my tongue.  And in any case, I have a two year old and a three month old, and am in the best shape of my life.  I didn't know that motherhood removed the ability for one to become fit and/or toned.

newbiePA
Not such a newbie anymore

mmswm

« Reply #26652 on: May 04, 2014, 05:28:37 PM »
Back on dogs:  He's a mastiff, not a child killer.  Actually, if he's out in public and you are yelling out your own child, a child he doesn't even know, he will go on high alert to make sure your child doesn't get hurt.  If anybody threatens your child in any way, even though he's never met your child before, and just because he knows that this little person is a child, he will go into all out protective mode.  Every child in his range is fully protected from kidnapping or worse, as he'd do everything in his power to take down the person hurting any child, no matter if said child is one of his boys or just some random stranger.

That said, I ran into another "Giant dog must be horrible!" person a few days ago.  If you're seriously that afraid of big dogs, don't go to pet stores where they're welcome.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Addy

« Reply #26653 on: May 04, 2014, 06:51:50 PM »
Back on dogs:  He's a mastiff, not a child killer.  Actually, if he's out in public and you are yelling out your own child, a child he doesn't even know, he will go on high alert to make sure your child doesn't get hurt.  If anybody threatens your child in any way, even though he's never met your child before, and just because he knows that this little person is a child, he will go into all out protective mode.  Every child in his range is fully protected from kidnapping or worse, as he'd do everything in his power to take down the person hurting any child, no matter if said child is one of his boys or just some random stranger.

That said, I ran into another "Giant dog must be horrible!" person a few days ago.  If you're seriously that afraid of big dogs, don't go to pet stores where they're welcome.

Regarding the bolded, is your dog off-leash in public? This actually seems dangerous to me, if your dog will attack if he thinks a child is in danger. What if a parent were playing a chasing game with a child and the kid was shrieking? Or just having a melt down while a parent needed to get the kid into a car to head home?

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #26654 on: May 04, 2014, 07:22:14 PM »
We've talked a bit about SS groups saving seats in crowded theatres and DH and I found one that had a great solution for packed shows. They had a sign informing people that their entire party had to be gathered before they entered the cinema for the first time and if you left to get snacks then you needed a pass out. I'm not sure how strictly they enforced it as the theatre is rather easy going, but they did tell people to close the gaps between them as it was a full house.

This was to see the Star Wars marathon, but there were more people who showed up for Gone With the Wind. That was full full, not a spare seat in the house. And despite the full house, DH and I saw quite a few empty seats near us, but we were in the front row.