Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5084341 times)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #26670 on: May 05, 2014, 08:48:06 AM »
I do not allow people who I am driving to or from a place to complain except the first time. After that first complaint, they are given a choice of locations to be dropped off at or we can sit in the car not moving until they experience an attitude adjustment.

There are several people that I will not ride or drive with because they cannot keep their commentary to themselves.

Mediancat

• Shibboleth of Shadowland
« Reply #26671 on: May 05, 2014, 09:01:09 AM »
That would depend what they're complaining about, though from the circumstances I doubt they're complaining at you going 100 miles an hour down twisting country roads.

Rob
"In all of mankind's history, there has never been more damage done than by someone who 'thought they were doing the right thing'." -- Lucy, Peanuts

wonderfullyanonymous

« Reply #26672 on: May 05, 2014, 09:02:20 AM »
Back on dogs:  He's a mastiff, not a child killer.  Actually, if he's out in public and you are yelling out your own child, a child he doesn't even know, he will go on high alert to make sure your child doesn't get hurt.  If anybody threatens your child in any way, even though he's never met your child before, and just because he knows that this little person is a child, he will go into all out protective mode.  Every child in his range is fully protected from kidnapping or worse, as he'd do everything in his power to take down the person hurting any child, no matter if said child is one of his boys or just some random stranger.

That said, I ran into another "Giant dog must be horrible!" person a few days ago.  If you're seriously that afraid of big dogs, don't go to pet stores where they're welcome.

Regarding the bolded, is your dog off-leash in public? This actually seems dangerous to me, if your dog will attack if he thinks a child is in danger. What if a parent were playing a chasing game with a child and the kid was shrieking? Or just having a melt down while a parent needed to get the kid into a car to head home?

He's not off leash in public very often, but by "take down", I mean tackle and hold until a human in charge gets there.  Also, I've never seen him respond to "whiney child who doesn't want to go home".  He knows the difference.  I mean a child who's genuinely terrified.  For example: we were at the beach.  A father went to beat his 5ish year old child with an umbrella for daring to get wet.  The dog placed himself between the father and the child and snarled while bystanders called the cops. Every time the father tried to swing the umbrella, the dog got in the way.  His instinct is not to bite, but to use his size to *prevent*, if that makes any sense. In the situation I described above, he was on leash, but the father and child were close enough for the dog to respond, and frankly, I had no intent on making him move at that moment.

If your dog "took me down" because I smacked my child or dragged them to the car when they were misbehaving or anything like that, you'd be up for one heck of a law suit and probably a dog that I would insist on being put down as a dangerous dog, and I am a dog lover. I grew up with large dogs so I have no fear or misconceptions about them, but anyone or anything who gets between me and my child is in for trouble. I certainly hope you keep that dog on a tight leash at all times and use your human brain to decide when you let him intervene and when there is a real danger to a child rather than just a situation that he has misinterpreted. If he goes on alert at a parent yelling at their own child, it sounds as though he regularly misinterprets situations.

A dog does know the difference between discipline and violence. I had a lab mix who loved her "kids", and if a parent was disciplining one of her "kids" she just watched, but a couple of times I saw a person act aggressively towards one of her "kids" and her whole demeanor changed to protective mode.  There is a big difference between a parent grabbing a child's arm and making them walk to the car, and a parent threatening to beat their child with an umbrella.

MissRose

« Reply #26673 on: May 05, 2014, 09:54:50 AM »
That would depend what they're complaining about, though from the circumstances I doubt they're complaining at you going 100 miles an hour down twisting country roads.

Rob

I am a safe driver, but my mother is much more cautious than I am.  Also, she disapproved at the routes I took to several places even though we arrived on time. I used my GPS for the one place as I had not gone there in some time but she kept wanting me to do different.  I now know how to go there now but I did not need her telling me what way to go even though I would have loved to had said so in front of my dad and grandma.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #26674 on: May 05, 2014, 09:57:05 AM »

Rob

You're going too fast or too slow, why don't you go X route instead of Y, why did you stop there, why aren't you passing that car, etc.

Nothing useful or acceptable in my opinion.

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #26675 on: May 05, 2014, 10:20:18 AM »
Can we please stop with the animal stories now?  I'd hate to see this thread get locked over what a dog can or cannot do.  Start a whole new thread if you'd like to continue.  Thanks.

As for Special Snowflakes, we had a rainy day last week.  Correction, it was a Monsoon.  I was driving on the highway in it, with hundreds of other cars.  The rain was coming down so fast and visibility was so poor that we were going about 40 mph, and *still* there were special snowflakes who didn't think to turn on their headlights!  How are these people still alive??   I almost hit my share of them.  If I didn't have to get to my job so badly, I would have just stayed at the other job until it was over (I was traveling from Job 1 to Job 2).

Adelaide

« Reply #26676 on: May 05, 2014, 12:20:03 PM »
I was in the computer room yesterday and was using the computer hooked up to the printer, which has been out of paper since Friday. I was using the computer because it has a large screen and I was able to blow up the print on a PDF I was reading. I realize that this could cause some confusion, as periodically people would trickle in to print something. I was very pro-active and never let anyone go more than a 10-20 seconds of standing there very obviously waiting for the printer (there are study tables as well and it's not always obvious who is *just* there to print) before I spoke up. However, before mentioning that there was no ink I experienced variations of the following:

a) loud sighing, eye-rolling, gum popping, staring over at me from a distance
b) actual heavy breathing while walking up to two inches away and staring over at what I was reading
c) people slamming their stuff on the table beside the printer and throwing themselves in chairs

I should also say that this was at 11pm on a Sunday. I know you probably want to print your report before tomorrow, but nothing in paper form is due at 11pm. However, after telling people that there was no paper, I had several reactions:

a) "What do you mean? Are you serious?"
b) "So you used all of the paper?"
c) "That's impossible." (These people would then scour the room and examine the printer tray, as if I were hoarding all of the paper for myself.)
d) "Well how am I supposed to print?"
e) "So you don't have any paper?"

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26677 on: May 05, 2014, 01:06:00 PM »
DH was telling me about this yesterday, as I had been at church with the kids and sometimes if he has things to do he'll drop us off and go take care of errands while we're in church.

Anyway, he had gone to Target and Lowe's and as per usual, when he buys stuff for the backyard he will drive down the alley and briefly park the car there cause the gate for the backyard is at the side of the house and it's easier than carrying heavy bags of mulch and such from the front of the house.

It took him maybe 5 minutes to unload, tops.  Apparently our neighbors got rather testy with him for doing this. Mind you, these people are frequently blocking the alley with their own cars, or their friends will do so, or they'll honk loud and long for someone to come out or just for fun, without a care as to whether or not someone else might want to drive down the alley.  But heaven forbid anyone else use the alley for five minutes to unload a vehicle.  ::)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Yarnspinner

« Reply #26678 on: May 05, 2014, 01:28:19 PM »

This reminds me of our dog, who was a canis specialus snowflakus on us one day.

We had gone to a park that had, oddly, a buffalo herd. When we let the dog out of the car, he saw the buffalo in their paddock and decided that They Had to Go. Not sure what it was about them that set him off, but he lunged to the end of his leash, yelling things that were probably not very complimentary at the buffalo.

The buffalo, who had planned on spending the afternoon grazing quietly, started to look at each other. "What did he just call my mother?" they seemed to be asking.

The big bull of the herd began to step toward the fence. Not fast. Just - you noticed he was getting closer, rather than moving off. With an "Are you talking to ME?" expression on his face.

The dog was thrown unceremoniously back into the car, to his intense disgust, and we made a hasty departure, with the dog still yelling "I can take him! What are you doing? He'll think I'm afraid of him!" as we headed down the road.

This is one of the funniest things I have ever read here Twik!
Parkin' my pod with Asb8...I split a gut reading this.  Thank you, Twik!

Yarnspinner

« Reply #26679 on: May 05, 2014, 01:32:48 PM »
I was talking about how I'd lost a lot of weight and gotten fitter recently and a woman said "Oh yeah? I'm flabby because I brought a beautiful life into the world. Where has your toned body gotten you?"

If there was ever a time I wanted to be catty, it was this one. But I avoided it. Barely.

"Well, it's proved to me that I am able to keep my mouth shut around the crazy."

Evil Lil wants to say "Lady, if you raise that beautiful life to behave like YOU, the world is already a less beautiful place."

Why was that even necessary for her to say?  I am guessing someone has green eyes.....

Adelaide

« Reply #26680 on: May 05, 2014, 01:46:47 PM »
I was talking about how I'd lost a lot of weight and gotten fitter recently and a woman said "Oh yeah? I'm flabby because I brought a beautiful life into the world. Where has your toned body gotten you?"

If there was ever a time I wanted to be catty, it was this one. But I avoided it. Barely.

"Well, it's proved to me that I am able to keep my mouth shut around the crazy."

Evil Lil wants to say "Lady, if you raise that beautiful life to behave like YOU, the world is already a less beautiful place."

Why was that even necessary for her to say?  I am guessing someone has green eyes.....

I have no idea. And since I'm acutely aware of what a sensitive topic this is, I go out of my way to be way more politically-correct than is probably necessary. I can honestly say that it was definitely her own extrapolation of what I'd said that led to this-there was no passive-aggressiveness, no "Everyone should X, Y, Z" or anything in my tone to suggest that I thought the same thing that applied to me should apply to everyone else. Not even a lament like "I miss chocolate cake" or something that would have provided an "opening" for someone to retort with something like "That's why I don't deprive myself".

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26681 on: May 05, 2014, 02:08:01 PM »
^ Maybe not eHell approved but I think I would have burst into (crocodile) tears and wail, 'Thanks for reminding me that I can never have children.'  Whether that was true or not.  And turn around and walk away.  While dabbing my eyes with my sleeve.

See, I can think of all these great comebacks when I have time to mull it over.  But I'm quite sure, in the moment, all I'd manage is the turn around and walk away part.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Yarnspinner

« Reply #26682 on: May 05, 2014, 03:29:56 PM »
^ Maybe not eHell approved but I think I would have burst into (crocodile) tears and wail, 'Thanks for reminding me that I can never have children.'  Whether that was true or not.  And turn around and walk away.  While dabbing my eyes with my sleeve.

See, I can think of all these great comebacks when I have time to mull it over.  But I'm quite sure, in the moment, all I'd manage is the turn around and walk away part.

Definitely not ehell approved, but, oh, girl, you should be writing for television....

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26683 on: May 05, 2014, 03:55:11 PM »

Rob

You're going too fast or too slow, why don't you go X route instead of Y, why did you stop there, why aren't you passing that car, etc.

Nothing useful or acceptable in my opinion.
What about gasping and clutching the door handle when they think you can't stop in time to keep from rear-ending someone?  Is that acceptable? 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26684 on: May 05, 2014, 03:59:18 PM »
I had a passenger tell me I was shifting to the highest gear too early.  I told him to look in the manual in the glove compartment and see what it said, because that's when I was shifting.  And that if he had any further comments, he was welcome to walk.

Since we were an hour from home, he shut up.  After looking in the manual.  He was quite surprised to find that I was correct.   ;D
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario