Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5757691 times)

GreenHall

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #26730 on: May 07, 2014, 11:18:03 AM »
Dad would slap Stepsister on the leg whenever she used her left foot on the brake.   She was learning to drive in summer and was wearing shorts.  She would have a red leg when she got out of the car.

That said, she did learn to drive and had her license by the end of the year.  Still, I didn't want him to teach me.   So I did take Driver Ed and my DH (then boyfriend) taught me to drive a stick.

That's why it's a very good idea to learn how to drive a stick shift in the first place. The left foot never gets used for anything but the clutch.

We've had the opposite experience.  I don't know how people learn to drive autos in the US, but here in the UK I was taught to drive one using my right foot only so my left foot isn't used at all.  My DH learned to drive in a manual, and when he started using an auto his left foot flapped around he found it difficult to remember not to lift his foot off the accelerator when the gears were changing (this can be felt, in an auto, IME).
I haven't driven in the UK, but on first thought, this makes sense - your cars are reversed from US cars, right?  (Driver's side is opposite, so everything else is opposite?)  I remember when I hired a car to take me to the airport, I realized the gear shift was on the driver's left and realized that even if I knew how to drive a manual in the US, I would have issues in the UK, as the muscle memory/instinct would be in the wrong side.

z_squared82

« Reply #26731 on: May 07, 2014, 11:20:57 AM »
Our neighborhood is right under the approach to Laguardia Airport.  During peak hours we can get a plane going by every 90 seconds or so.  Because the planes are still quite high, the noise isn't terrible but it's a fact of life if you choose to live here. 

Every few years, new arrivals try to get the airport approaches changed.  After all, they pay top dollar to live here and deserve peace and quiet, don't they?   

Sorry guys.  It ain't gonna happen.

One sect? division? type? of nuns has their Motherhouse in my area. Actually about 10 minutes from me. A Motherhouse is their national headquarters and where many nuns retire to be taken care of as they age. The airport across the river wanted to put in a new runway and the approach would have been right over the Motherhouse. The nuns raised a stink and the runway was re-angled.

Because, you know, the nuns have God on their side. You want to mess with that?  ;)

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #26732 on: May 07, 2014, 11:25:25 AM »
well, I have some sympathy with objecting to a -new- runway pattern.

Hillia

« Reply #26733 on: May 07, 2014, 11:26:03 AM »
In their defense, they weren't complaining about the existing flightpath, but about a new addition, which puts them in the 'we were here first' category.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

nuit93

« Reply #26734 on: May 07, 2014, 11:27:50 AM »
We live out in the country-farm land. Our area is fast being developed into subdivisions. People like to buy houses out in the country because it is soo peaceful. Because it is farm land we use alot of fertilizer in the fall/spring. It is manure and it does stink at first. Cows do moo and chickens do cackle. The amount of complaints about how we are ruining their happiness with these aspects are incredible. Our crops end 10' from the road. This gives you plenty of room to look for traffic, it does not mean that you can willy nelly decide to cut down the corn to see farther down. We are county folk and do hunt. We help keep the deer population under control-which in turn will help you keep all that lovely landscaping that you are paying for to last at least a little bit longer. The deer thank you. Seriously-what do people think when they move into farm lands?

I used to live near a salmon hatchery.  Spawning season is...stinky.

Oh, how people would complain!  I had one person ask me "can't the city just...turn off the smell or something?"

z_squared82

« Reply #26735 on: May 07, 2014, 11:30:58 AM »
In their defense, they weren't complaining about the existing flightpath, but about a new addition, which puts them in the 'we were here first' category.

Oh, yes, they were completely in the right objecting to the new flight path. It's just a joke around here that the nuns have God on their side, you don't mess with them. (Of course it helps that the community here is nearly completely Catholic. That might make it more funny to us.)

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #26736 on: May 07, 2014, 11:32:23 AM »
We live literally across the street from a small city-owned General Aviation airport. It's like having lawnmowers fly overhead. We were certainly aware there was an airport there when we moved in, and we're fine with the noise.

The airport is so old that its runway is too short to meet current standards. The city is planning to lengthen the runway and is now in the public-hearing stage. The neighborhood web site and hearings are full of cries of how awful this proposed airport expansion is, and how evil the city is to impose this expansion, etc., etc.

The Sweetie says, "I don't have a problem with the airport being brought up to code!"
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.

Hillia

« Reply #26737 on: May 07, 2014, 11:36:36 AM »
We live literally across the street from a small city-owned General Aviation airport. It's like having lawnmowers fly overhead. We were certainly aware there was an airport there when we moved in, and we're fine with the noise.

The airport is so old that its runway is too short to meet current standards. The city is planning to lengthen the runway and is now in the public-hearing stage. The neighborhood web site and hearings are full of cries of how awful this proposed airport expansion is, and how evil the city is to impose this expansion, etc., etc.

The Sweetie says, "I don't have a problem with the airport being brought up to code!"

Especially if the alternative is planes taxiing into your living room because the runway is too short!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #26738 on: May 07, 2014, 11:43:39 AM »

Especially if the alternative is planes taxiing into your living room because the runway is too short!

Yeah. There is that.
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26739 on: May 07, 2014, 11:46:25 AM »
My in laws live in an area that's under an airport flight path, in fairly close proximity to train tracks, as well as near a well traveled highway.  As they've lived there, the area's gotten more and more built up and MIL is getting sick of it and jokes she wants to move to a place that's further from "Planes, trains and automobiles".  Though she admits she'd be alright with trains really, it's mostly the planes and sounds of the highway that get on her nerves.

And she does complain to us but has never tried to get flight paths rerouted so I wouldn't call her a snowflake. 

Also I once was chatting with someone who lives in my town and looked to be about 80 or so. He told me that when the steamies used to come through our town, their childhood homes would get filled with soot.  Mothers would take down their wash from the lines when the trains were expected to come through, then put it back on the line later.   But it was spoken about like it's just a fact of life when you live in a town where steam engines are frequently going through, rather than complaining.

I think after a while too, you just get used to the sound. I know when I visited a friend who lives close to the rails in her town, I heard the train pass the first night but every other night I slept right through it.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

knitwicca

« Reply #26740 on: May 07, 2014, 11:48:42 AM »
We live out in the country-farm land. Our area is fast being developed into subdivisions. People like to buy houses out in the country because it is soo peaceful. Because it is farm land we use alot of fertilizer in the fall/spring. It is manure and it does stink at first. Cows do moo and chickens do cackle. The amount of complaints about how we are ruining their happiness with these aspects are incredible. Our crops end 10' from the road. This gives you plenty of room to look for traffic, it does not mean that you can willy nelly decide to cut down the corn to see farther down. We are county folk and do hunt. We help keep the deer population under control-which in turn will help you keep all that lovely landscaping that you are paying for to last at least a little bit longer. The deer thank you. Seriously-what do people think when they move into farm lands?
I guess, these are the same kind of people who buy a house right next to a church - a well-known and very active church, which has been there for many, many years - and then complain that the church bells ring at certain times and that there are cars parked on the street on Sunday mornings and special occasions, like Christmas, during service times... My father has lived across the street from that church for over 70 years and is good friends with the current care-taker (who has been there for 40 years or so) - the stories they could tell...

The airport I fly out of has been in existence in that exact location since the 1940s.
Every week the FAA (Federal Aviation Association) receives multiple phone calls from the people who live (literally) on the other side of the fence from the runway.  They complain about noise, the traffic (people driving their cars to the airport so that they can fly their airplanes), about the runway lights being on, about the beacon. (we have Angel Flights on-site)

My personal favorite was the call in which the complaint was that, late during the previous evening, a helicopter was "viciously" flying overhead.  Duh...it was the sheriff's helicopter tracking an armed robber...who jumped the fence into the airport....next to the sheriff's department's helicopter hangar and into the arms of the dispatcher and another deputy.

FTR, every phone call has been from a renter who shares the chain-link fence with the airport authority.  The residents who purchased homes next to their airport are mostly pilots who love living there.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26741 on: May 07, 2014, 12:01:51 PM »
well, I have some sympathy with objecting to a -new- runway pattern.

I agree. Objecting to a new addition that would have a major impact on an existing institution is one thing.  Demanding that an existing pattern be changed to accommodate newcomers is something quite different. 

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #26742 on: May 07, 2014, 12:05:44 PM »
See, in my town...the SS won on that one, shadowfox.  All the streets in my town have...interesting names.  (So much so that when you give your address for something, if the person is familiar with the area, they say, "Oh, you live in X.")

So one of the streets was Satan Wood Drive.  Had been for AGES.  People started complaining.  After a few months, the name was changed to Satin Wood Drive.  My attitude was....the name was there when you moved in.  If yer that offended...don't move there!

I disagree with that idea, that you can't change something afterward. It's one thing if what you want to change means someone loses their livelihood. But changing the name of your street? I don't think that's such a horrible thing to want to do. Or to work toward. And it was "people," not one person. So if the majority of the people on the street want to have a different name (or even if not a majority--if there really isn't a huge vocal opposition), what's the big deal?

And Satan Wood is pretty bad. So is Sodom Lane, actually.

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #26743 on: May 07, 2014, 12:14:17 PM »
One sect? division? type? of nuns

Nuns have "religious orders," usually just called "orders."

As for the turkey farm, that was 5 years ago. I have no idea if the Snowflake family eventually gave up & moved or gave up & stuck it out. 

We had a recent problem with helicopters here. Due to construction, there was going to be a shutdown of half of the lanes of a major freeway. It had been announced way in advance, with all sorts of publicity about alternative routes. On the first morning of the shutdown, TV stations decided that they needed aerial shots of the effect on commute traffic for the morning news. Nearby residents (including me) were not amused to be awakened by the sound of multiple helicopters at 5 AM. "I feel like I am in ‘Apocalypse Now'," someone told a newspaper reporter.  "Who can help save us from the helicopter army?", Tweeted a city council member.

The police and local elected officials dropped some serious hints and the news media cut back on the flights.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26744 on: May 07, 2014, 12:19:36 PM »
See, in my town...the SS won on that one, shadowfox.  All the streets in my town have...interesting names.  (So much so that when you give your address for something, if the person is familiar with the area, they say, "Oh, you live in X.")

So one of the streets was Satan Wood Drive.  Had been for AGES.  People started complaining.  After a few months, the name was changed to Satin Wood Drive.  My attitude was....the name was there when you moved in.  If yer that offended...don't move there!

I disagree with that idea, that you can't change something afterward. It's one thing if what you want to change means someone loses their livelihood. But changing the name of your street? I don't think that's such a horrible thing to want to do. Or to work toward. And it was "people," not one person. So if the majority of the people on the street want to have a different name (or even if not a majority--if there really isn't a huge vocal opposition), what's the big deal?

And Satan Wood is pretty bad. So is Sodom Lane, actually.

Eh, I have to go with Toots on this one as I could see someone finding a house they absolutely loved and then think "But I really wish the street name was different!"

Though I do have to laugh, as the name change made me think of "Wreck It Ralph" Since there is a character who looks like Satan but insists it's pronounced "Sateen". 

The area I grew up in also had themed names and each neighborhood (they were referred to as "villages" to make them sound more quaint than they really were) had its own theme. 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata