Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5630745 times)

mmswm

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #26760 on: May 07, 2014, 06:02:10 PM »
At least two major children's hospitals that I know of have fought this battle with the residents around them.  The residents complain about the sirens, the helicopters and general traffic.  Both the hospitals that I know of that have dealt with this have been around since at least the 50's.  I can't even begin to comprehend how a little noise is more important than saving a child's life.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

lkdrymom

« Reply #26761 on: May 07, 2014, 06:21:39 PM »
tinky tinky's story reminds me of when our neighbor banged on our door, demanding that we come get our cat out of her garden.  Now, as a backstory, our three cats (who all happen to be black) used to be outdoor cats, but they wandered into her garden once too many times and she threatened to kill them.  So, to keep the peace, they became indoor cats.

Me:  It's not our cat.  Ours are all indoors.
Her:  Yes, it is! 
Me:  It's not.  See?  All three of ours are sitting right there.
Her:  It HAS to be your cat - it's BLACK!

Because no-one besides us has ever owned a black cat, I guess.

I see we had the same neighbor.  She had animal control show up at my house because she found a dead mouse in her yard.

wheeitsme

« Reply #26762 on: May 07, 2014, 06:35:26 PM »
I used to live a short distance away from Disneyland.  Somebody always had a story about someone who couldn't believe how cheap their house was (and only a block or two away from Disneyland)!

...until the summer fireworks.  Every night in the summer at 9pm, and weekends and holidays.  >:D

rashea

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26763 on: May 07, 2014, 06:37:07 PM »
At least two major children's hospitals that I know of have fought this battle with the residents around them.  The residents complain about the sirens, the helicopters and general traffic.  Both the hospitals that I know of that have dealt with this have been around since at least the 50's.  I can't even begin to comprehend how a little noise is more important than saving a child's life.

I suspect it isn't the little noise once in a while, but the fairly constant sounds. But then again, that's why I don't live near a hospital. It's a little like the people who move to the country and then get upset about how the farm smells. The farm was there first, either deal or move.
"Manners change, principles don't. It's about treating people with consideration, respect and honesty." Peter Post

Vermont

mmswm

« Reply #26764 on: May 07, 2014, 06:42:28 PM »

I suspect it isn't the little noise once in a while, but the fairly constant sounds. But then again, that's why I don't live near a hospital. It's a little like the people who move to the country and then get upset about how the farm smells. The farm was there first, either deal or move.

At least in the one where my little one was in NICU, the complaint was about the sirens and helicopters specifically.  I'm sorry, but if a kid is sick enough to justify the use of the helicopter, the people living in the area can just stuff it.  That kid's life is vastly more important than the aggravation of a chopper.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #26765 on: May 07, 2014, 08:30:02 PM »
My grandma had lived in the flight path of Sydney airport ever since I was five, I don't like loud noises so the planes used to scare me a little, but in used to it. We also used to live in A helicopter flight path, we made a lot of MASH jokes.

But the worst story I think is from Luna Park, which has been in Sydney, off and on, since 1935. It's also in prime real estate with new expensive apartments that were built right above it. They complained about the big roller coaster to the point where it had that many restrictions on operation it made the park unprofitable. The roller coaster is no longer there. :(

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #26766 on: May 07, 2014, 08:46:00 PM »
Smells reminded me of another Yankees story.

2 families moved in on our street. They were Yankees and after a couple of incidents Dad was at the end of his tether with them (driving off in the eye of a hurricane with their kids in the back seats to look at the damage being the one that pushed Dad into they are fools and I won't suffer them territory) They showed up demanding that Dad* do something about the horrible smell in the neighborhood lately they hadn't paid to move into Memorial to put up with that smell. Dad looked them up and down and told them, I don't see them shutting down Pasadena** anytime soon.

*Dad had organized community improvement efforts before. We suspect they were egged on by another neighbor as a joke.

** The smell was basically oil refineries

We have a neighbor at our farm/wild life refuge who keeps an eye on the property. He also kills and butchers the wild hogs (invasive species so they can be hunted on our property) Neighbor from a new multimilion dollar house is upset because her kids can see him butchering the hogs when they are jumping on their trampoline. He can't do it nearer the barn because we don't want to attract predators near there. He needs mature trees that can hold the weight and the only other ones are in the middle of a thicket. The area used to be a meadow kept that way by cows, mowing and periodic burns. Now because of wildlife refuge status we have to let most of it go natural but most of those trees are still basically saplings.

Another neighbor thought since no one lived on our property it was "Public Land".He also had trouble with the concept that if you trespass on someone's land especially during hunting season and got shot the trespasser would be the one facing charges. (Note my cousins follow all gun safety/hunting safety rules but teens running around in camo on other people's land in the middle of hunting season a tragedy waiting to happen. We wear bright colors during hunting season on our own land - even now when it is a wild life refuge and no hunting of native species allowed. )

This one is more thoughtless than SS. Background the Houston Zoo is next to the Medical Center with multiple helicopter pads for trauma center and 2 children's hospitals. But this woman was complaining that they hadn't seen any helicopters at the zoo. Her son loved the helicopters and was so disappointed they hadn't seen one. They always see them. Wonder why they hadn't seen one that day. She hoped they would see one before they had to leave. Another visitor looked at her and said you know those are life flight right. 1st woman turned white. I don't think she realized till then that in a way she was wishing for someone to be seriously hurt.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #26767 on: May 07, 2014, 09:26:01 PM »
I used to live a short distance away from Disneyland.  Somebody always had a story about someone who couldn't believe how cheap their house was (and only a block or two away from Disneyland)!

...until the summer fireworks.  Every night in the summer at 9pm, and weekends and holidays.  >:D

Were it not for the fact that the noise would freak out my dog, I'd love that. Well, if I could see it. Otherwise it would be merely tolerable.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Library Dragon

« Reply #26768 on: May 07, 2014, 09:45:18 PM »

During high school we lived near Disneyland. It was great going in the backyard and watching the fireworks. We were just far enough away to see, but not have a super loud noise. 

A few years ago I took staff to the national library convention and rented a house across the street from the convention center (so much cheape than hotel rooms). The first night, Right before 9 I announced 'Everyone to the front yard!' There was grumbling that they were tired. Then the fireworks started and it was ooooohhhh and aaaaahhhhhh.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #26769 on: May 07, 2014, 09:59:51 PM »

2 families moved in on our street. They were Yankee

Why would members of a NY baseball team be moving to Houston in big enough numbers that you have so many stories about them?

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #26770 on: May 07, 2014, 10:51:14 PM »

Why would members of a NY baseball team be moving to Houston in big enough numbers that you have so many stories about them?
I'm guessing

1. Kherbert is from the south
2. These people are northerners

And I only know the term as I'm a GWTW fan.

In another note, the NY Yankees are going to be playing in Sydney...I'm four years time.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26771 on: May 07, 2014, 11:04:05 PM »
Speaking of baseball and fireworks, we live near a minor league stadium and as usually happens with farm teams is that after some games there are fireworks shows.  Now, we can't really see the fireworks from our house but we can hear them, which does get annoying when we're trying to fall asleep and can hear them.

And then there are neighbors who have no concept of fire safety and last July fired off fireworks every night of the month. Or at least it seemed like it. :P
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

AngelicGamer

« Reply #26772 on: May 07, 2014, 11:05:01 PM »

I'm guessing

1. Kherbert is from the south
2. These people are northerners

And I only know the term as I'm a GWTW fan.

In another note, the NY Yankees are going to be playing in Sydney...I'm four years time.

So they're going way down south?  *RUNS away*

"Life's tough, huh?  And then you die." ~ Buck, the Magnificent Seven.

SheltieMom

« Reply #26773 on: May 07, 2014, 11:10:15 PM »
Is it weird that I'm reading a book that involves a group of homeowners complaining about airplanes making too much noise over their homes?

Arthur Hailey's Airport, published in 1968.

I guess things never really change!
If Timmy had had a Sheltie, he never would have fallen in that well!

greencat

« Reply #26774 on: May 07, 2014, 11:35:22 PM »
See, in my town...the SS won on that one, shadowfox.  All the streets in my town have...interesting names.  (So much so that when you give your address for something, if the person is familiar with the area, they say, "Oh, you live in X.")

So one of the streets was Satan Wood Drive.  Had been for AGES.  People started complaining.  After a few months, the name was changed to Satin Wood Drive.  My attitude was....the name was there when you moved in.  If yer that offended...don't move there!

I disagree with that idea, that you can't change something afterward. It's one thing if what you want to change means someone loses their livelihood. But changing the name of your street? I don't think that's such a horrible thing to want to do. Or to work toward. And it was "people," not one person. So if the majority of the people on the street want to have a different name (or even if not a majority--if there really isn't a huge vocal opposition), what's the big deal?

And Satan Wood is pretty bad. So is Sodom Lane, actually.

Eh, I have to go with Toots on this one as I could see someone finding a house they absolutely loved and then think "But I really wish the street name was different!"

Though I do have to laugh, as the name change made me think of "Wreck It Ralph" Since there is a character who looks like Satan but insists it's pronounced "Sateen". 

The area I grew up in also had themed names and each neighborhood (they were referred to as "villages" to make them sound more quaint than they really were) had its own theme.

At my university, all students are assigned a personal identification number of 7 digits. We have no control over the numbers. Since I have worked here, for 7 years, I have had two students complain that their number was "evil" because of digits in it. We didn't change it for them since we can't.

I had a parent call and complain that her son had *failed his classes* because one of his ID numbers (we have multiple) had the evil digits in it.  Changing someone's ID number(s) would be a violation of our policies.  Additionally, we couldn't even discuss anything with her because she wasn't the student.  She called multiple times.  I went round and round with her a few times because she was a generally awful person to everyone she was talking to, and I'm a great stone wall.  She tried to pull the "I'm a lawyer" card on me.  I simply told her that was nice and that I was a technical support representative.  For some reason she didn't want to be transferred to the office that handles complaints - although, since she was objecting to a policy that we had no valid reason to make an exception to, that was exactly where she needed to be transferred.

I'm so glad I don't work for that department anymore.  I like my new job so much better.