Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5640166 times)

Otterpop

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #26775 on: May 08, 2014, 12:47:27 AM »
I used to live a short distance away from Disneyland.  Somebody always had a story about someone who couldn't believe how cheap their house was (and only a block or two away from Disneyland)!

...until the summer fireworks.  Every night in the summer at 9pm, and weekends and holidays.  >:D

During high school we lived near Disneyland. It was great going in the backyard and watching the fireworks. We were just far enough away to see, but not have a super loud noise. 

A few years ago I took staff to the national library convention and rented a house across the street from the convention center (so much cheape than hotel rooms). The first night, Right before 9 I announced 'Everyone to the front yard!' There was grumbling that they were tired. Then the fireworks started and it was ooooohhhh and aaaaahhhhhh.

We live in the hills north of Disneyland.  The soft Boom Boom of the fireworks reminds me it's almost bedtime every night.  We can see them in the distance.  Love that feature.

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
« Reply #26776 on: May 08, 2014, 01:38:16 AM »
Our neighborhood is right under the approach to Laguardia Airport.  During peak hours we can get a plane going by every 90 seconds or so.  Because the planes are still quite high, the noise isn't terrible but it's a fact of life if you choose to live here. 

Every few years, new arrivals try to get the airport approaches changed.  After all, they pay top dollar to live here and deserve peace and quiet, don't they?   

Sorry guys.  It ain't gonna happen.

They're already getting planes rerouted because they pay top dollar to live there: LaGuardia airport closes at something like 11 p.m., while JFK is open all night. I once had a flight into LGA delayed by weather, and landed at JFK. For me, that was a higher cab fare; I suspect it was rather more of an annoyance for any fellow-passengers who had cars inh the long-term parking at LaGuardia.
We have that situation here. The suburb is called Airport West. I think that's a bit of a giveaway. The land is cheap because of the noise, so don't complain after the fact that it's too close to the airport.

Victoria

dawnfire

« Reply #26777 on: May 08, 2014, 05:27:19 AM »
Our neighborhood is right under the approach to Laguardia Airport.  During peak hours we can get a plane going by every 90 seconds or so.  Because the planes are still quite high, the noise isn't terrible but it's a fact of life if you choose to live here. 

Every few years, new arrivals try to get the airport approaches changed.  After all, they pay top dollar to live here and deserve peace and quiet, don't they?   

Sorry guys.  It ain't gonna happen.

They're already getting planes rerouted because they pay top dollar to live there: LaGuardia airport closes at something like 11 p.m., while JFK is open all night. I once had a flight into LGA delayed by weather, and landed at JFK. For me, that was a higher cab fare; I suspect it was rather more of an annoyance for any fellow-passengers who had cars inh the long-term parking at LaGuardia.
We have that situation here. The suburb is called Airport West. I think that's a bit of a giveaway. The land is cheap because of the noise, so don't complain after the fact that it's too close to the airport.

they probably complain about Tullamarine airport too,  which is only a few km away too.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #26778 on: May 08, 2014, 06:35:04 AM »
Smells reminded me of another Yankees story.

2 families moved in on our street. They were Yankee

Why would members of a NY baseball team be moving to Houston in big enough numbers that you have so many stories about them?
I'm guessing

1. Kherbert is from the south
2. These people are northerners

And I only know the term as I'm a GWTW fan.

In another note, the NY Yankees are going to be playing in Sydney...I'm four years time.
Yes and much of the trouble they started had the tone of We are from the North so we are going to tell you red necks how to be civilized including
1.Declaring that Alicia (Hurricane) was nothing compared to Noreasters (sp) (it was a smaller hurricane) as they tried to drive off the street in the eye and refused to believe the storm was only 1/2 over

2. Threatening a 80 yo woman with a shovel because she was trying to explain why slaughtering the bull snakes that just invaded the street was a really bad idea because we would next be invaded by rats. (I'll give them that to most people it was scary but threatening to brain an 80 yo woman went to far.) This is not a normal thing a construction crew was bulldozing previously "wild" land. My Mom was hiding inside the interior hall because the snakes scared her that much.

3. Stopping Sis and I on clearly marked hike and bike trail and ordering us to illegally ride our bikes on the road. We were standing next to 2 signs one that said Hike and Bike trail and the other that it was illegal to ride on the road. He kept insisting that it was illegal to ride on side walks up north so it had to be illegal here.He even told the cop that stop to see what was going on off about how the with a law like that Houston would never be taken seriously on the world stage. The cop  was very close to arresting him for his behavior towards us - ended up just giving him multiple tickets.

I got the impression that they did felt their transfer down here was a punishment (who knows it might have been) but they took it out on their neighbors.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Two Ravens

• One for sorrow, Two for mirth...
« Reply #26779 on: May 08, 2014, 07:17:48 AM »

Why would members of a NY baseball team be moving to Houston in big enough numbers that you have so many stories about them?
I'm guessing

In another note, the NY Yankees are going to be playing in Sydney...I'm four years time.
Yes and much of the trouble they started had the tone of We are from the North so we are going to tell you red necks how to be civilized including
1.Declaring that Alicia (Hurricane) was nothing compared to Noreasters (sp) (it was a smaller hurricane) as they tried to drive off the street in the eye and refused to believe the storm was only 1/2 over

2. Threatening a 80 yo woman with a shovel because she was trying to explain why slaughtering the bull snakes that just invaded the street was a really bad idea because we would next be invaded by rats. (I'll give them that to most people it was scary but threatening to brain an 80 yo woman went to far.) This is not a normal thing a construction crew was bulldozing previously "wild" land. My Mom was hiding inside the interior hall because the snakes scared her that much.

3. Stopping Sis and I on clearly marked hike and bike trail and ordering us to illegally ride our bikes on the road. We were standing next to 2 signs one that said Hike and Bike trail and the other that it was illegal to ride on the road. He kept insisting that it was illegal to ride on side walks up north so it had to be illegal here.He even told the cop that stop to see what was going on off about how the with a law like that Houston would never be taken seriously on the world stage. The cop  was very close to arresting him for his behavior towards us - ended up just giving him multiple tickets.

I got the impression that they did felt their transfer down here was a punishment (who knows it might have been) but they took it out on their neighbors.

They may be awful people, but do you really have to use the term "Yankee" as a slur? Many people here proudly identify themselves as "Yankees."

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #26780 on: May 08, 2014, 08:11:55 AM »
At least two major children's hospitals that I know of have fought this battle with the residents around them.  The residents complain about the sirens, the helicopters and general traffic.  Both the hospitals that I know of that have dealt with this have been around since at least the 50's.  I can't even begin to comprehend how a little noise is more important than saving a child's life.

I suspect it isn't the little noise once in a while, but the fairly constant sounds. But then again, that's why I don't live near a hospital. It's a little like the people who move to the country and then get upset about how the farm smells. The farm was there first, either deal or move.

I grew up in farm country.  We used to walk down the road with our milk can, and a farmer would milk the cow and pour the milk into our can (we had a pasteurizer at home).  Next door to the dairy farm was the guy who had chickens, and we got eggs from him.
Our house was surrounded by the corn (and later alfalfa) fields.  Every springtime, they'd spread out the *naturel* fertilizer in the fields, and my mother would throw open the windows and doors and announce, "Smell that *fresh country air*!!'  while we kids groaned.    You get used to it, really you do.

Goosey

« Reply #26781 on: May 08, 2014, 08:32:51 AM »

I'm guessing

They may be awful people, but do you really have to use the term "Yankee" as a slur? Many people here proudly identify themselves as "Yankees."

Yeah, they behaved like that because they were awful people, not because they were from the north. I've known many awful people from all necks of the woods.

Coralreef

« Reply #26782 on: May 08, 2014, 08:37:40 AM »
"Fresh country air"... that brings back memories. Even if we lived in the suburbs, there were farmlands not very far and in the spring the EX used to call it "Eau-de-bovine".  It meant summer was on its way and fresh veggies would come along.  There are still working farms near my condo, mostly corn and strawberries. 

[/right

MindsEye

« Reply #26783 on: May 08, 2014, 09:58:01 AM »
I used to live a short distance away from Disneyland.  Somebody always had a story about someone who couldn't believe how cheap their house was (and only a block or two away from Disneyland)!

...until the summer fireworks.  Every night in the summer at 9pm, and weekends and holidays.  >:D

I dunno... I love fireworks so daily shows actually sounds pretty great to me.  :)

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #26784 on: May 08, 2014, 10:06:56 AM »

I'm guessing

If the family had been a different race or nationality you would never have used a slur. I don't think one becomes acceptable just because they are from a different regional area.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26785 on: May 08, 2014, 10:48:10 AM »
There's also the shifting definition of Who is a Yankee.

To the rest of the world, a Yankee is someone from the United States.

To people in the Southern US, a Yankee is someone from the north.

In the north, a Yankee is someone from New England.

In New England, a Yankee is someone from Vermont.

In Vermont, a Yankee is someone who eats pie for breakfast.

Please note that the term becomes less pejorative as you go down the list. 

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26786 on: May 08, 2014, 10:52:31 AM »
Special Snowflakes of 'The Great Turkey Shoot'

The little town in which I grew up was almost rural.  People owned guns and hunted during deer season.  A major social event in town was the annual 'Thanksgiving'Turkey Shoot'. 

It was an innocent thing put together as a fund-raiser for the Volunteer Fire Department and the Volunteer Ambulance Corps.  Residents would pay a certain amount of money to fire their weapons at paper targets.  The best shots would then win a dressed and ready to cook turkey donated by a local butcher. There was also a bake sale, a rummage sale and and a refreshment stand. All proceeds went to the Fire House and the Ambulance Corps. The Turkey Shoot was very family-friendly. 

In the mid 1950s the Tappan Zee bridge opened.  Housing developments grew around us As quickly as mushroom farms.  Most of the new people were nice enough but they didn't understand local traditions. 

When notices of the 'Turkey Shoot' went out in the local newspaper and on the local radio station the
response was immediate and very vehement. 

New people thought that locals would be actually firing bullets or arrows at living birds. How barbaric was that? Could these sophisticated city people (who loved the idea of living in the country) allow their children to attend the slaughter of a 'Turkey Shoot'?

It took a while for the local media to calm that down but the message finally got across. 

In the spring, it was also traditional to have an Easter 'Ham Shoot'. The radio station had a lot of fun with that one. 

'Oh, the inhumanity of it!  People are firing at these innocent, little hams running in fear of their lives.'

After that first year,there were no protests against the Turkey or Ham shoots.

Per the bolded: I lived in Rockland County for a few years. My older son lives in a group home there, still, so I am there at least once a month. I have heard from natives about the population explosion after the TZ was built. Places that were once rural, or small-townish, grew immensely (Spring Valley, for example).
I would have liked to see the area before this huge change. I grew up in a region that was more like the "old" Rockland County, and I liked it.

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #26787 on: May 08, 2014, 10:54:32 AM »

Now I want pie for breakfast. And I can't help wonder why Vermont of all the New England state.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26788 on: May 08, 2014, 10:56:05 AM »

ITA. I was a Yankee by birth but married a Southerner and lived there for 22 yrs. I have a soft spot for the region, and for the north as well. IOW, I see both sides, and IMHO the divisiveness is totally unnecessary. But I understand that it's also human nature.  :-\

Jloreli

« Reply #26789 on: May 08, 2014, 10:56:33 AM »

Goes to show you different strokes and all that....I would consider that a major perk personally!