Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5617135 times)

Tea Drinker

• Now part of Team Land Crab
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #26940 on: May 15, 2014, 08:19:53 PM »
I love gatechecking, if it's given as an option! No struggling to stuff things in crowded overhead bins. Just drop off the bag, pick it up as you leave the plane, and swan away!
Nope, never.  My CPAP machine does not leave my direct control.

Anybody know if it's true that necessary medical equipment (which a CPAP is) doesn't count against your 2-carryon limit?

The last time my dad flew, he was allowed to have it as extra, but ONLY if it was the ONLY thing in the bag. So. You couldn't have two roll-aboard bags instead of only the one because one had your CPAP.
I usually fly Southwest or United or Delta.  As carryon, I have the CPAP in its backpack, a small tote bag, and a fanny-pack. None of those airlines have said anything about it, even when I saw the Delta gate agent make one man gate-check his bag, because it wouldn't fit in the sizer-box.  (I wish they'd all do that!) 

And the ONLY thing?   That's weird.  Why waste the space? Mine is my emergency bag.  I keep a change of clothes and 2 weeks worth of my medications in it.  I can drop the CPAP in it, grab it, and go at a moment's notice.

I suspect they're trying to avoid arguments about "but it's my medical equipment" for a bag that is at the upper end of allowable carryon size,  and that contains mostly clothing, books, etc. Making the rule "only the CPAP" encourages people to keep that extra bag small (and thus use less space), without requiring them to track the sizes of different medical hardware. Also, giving the gate agents a clear and simple rule would tend to make their lives easier in an often-stressful situation, rather than arguing about what "most of the contents" means and how to measure it.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #26941 on: May 15, 2014, 08:44:32 PM »
I love gatechecking, if it's given as an option! No struggling to stuff things in crowded overhead bins. Just drop off the bag, pick it up as you leave the plane, and swan away!
Nope, never.  My CPAP machine does not leave my direct control.

Anybody know if it's true that necessary medical equipment (which a CPAP is) doesn't count against your 2-carryon limit?

I checked Southwest for my trip last week (and again going home) - it doesn't count against it on that airline - but check to see if you need documentation...walking canes were mentioned as "NOT COUNTING", either - but since I don't have any equipment (just meds) - I don't recall the exact requirements that might be needed to PROVE that something is medically necessary.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26942 on: May 15, 2014, 10:19:51 PM »
And the ONLY thing?   That's weird.  Why waste the space? Mine is my emergency bag.  I keep a change of clothes and 2 weeks worth of my medications in it.  I can drop the CPAP in it, grab it, and go at a moment's notice.

I suspect they're trying to avoid arguments about "but it's my medical equipment" for a bag that is at the upper end of allowable carryon size,  and that contains mostly clothing, books, etc. Making the rule "only the CPAP" encourages people to keep that extra bag small (and thus use less space), without requiring them to track the sizes of different medical hardware. Also, giving the gate agents a clear and simple rule would tend to make their lives easier in an often-stressful situation, rather than arguing about what "most of the contents" means and how to measure it.
There IS no way to keep that bag small, at least not with my current CPAP.  It's a standard size backpack.  The CPAP takes up most of the space in the main pocket of the bag.  My change of clothes is a t-shirt, bra, and panties, crammed down in the bottom, with my meds in the smaller pocket. 

I understand that more modern CPAP machines are much smaller; it sounds like Ms_Cellany's is one of them.  Even if my current machine had its own form-fitting bag, it would be considerably larger than a camera bag. 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

greencat

« Reply #26943 on: May 16, 2014, 03:53:15 AM »

There IS no way to keep that bag small, at least not with my current CPAP.  It's a standard size backpack.  The CPAP takes up most of the space in the main pocket of the bag.  My change of clothes is a t-shirt, bra, and panties, crammed down in the bottom, with my meds in the smaller pocket. 

I understand that more modern CPAP machines are much smaller; it sounds like Ms_Cellany's is one of them.  Even if my current machine had its own form-fitting bag, it would be considerably larger than a camera bag.

I worked for a sleep apnea center for awhile, and modern cpap machines fit in a bag about the size of a lunchbox.  Our testing units, which were bigger than the home use ones, wouldn't have taken up a whole backpack!

Cherry91

« Reply #26944 on: May 16, 2014, 04:42:23 AM »
I'd like to nominate the Poveglia Per Tutti group in Italy.

BG: The island of Poveglia in Venice was put up for sale a while back by the Italian government. It's considered by many to be "the most haunted place in the world" due to a long and rather bloody history, so there's been a fair amount of interest.

An Italian businessman won the auction for the island, but the local group Poveglia Per Tutti have demanded that his bid be rejected...

...because he outbid them.

The businessman outbid the group by about four hundred thousand euros, but they're demanding that the government doesn't accept his (already accepted) bid and instead gives the island to them.

I think someone needs to explain how an auction works to them.

(http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/may/13/haunted-island-poveglia-venice-sells)

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #26945 on: May 16, 2014, 05:05:34 AM »
I'd like to nominate the Poveglia Per Tutti group in Italy.

BG: The island of Poveglia in Venice was put up for sale a while back by the Italian government. It's considered by many to be "the most haunted place in the world" due to a long and rather bloody history, so there's been a fair amount of interest.

An Italian businessman won the auction for the island, but the local group Poveglia Per Tutti have demanded that his bid be rejected...

...because he outbid them.

The businessman outbid the group by about four hundred thousand euros, but they're demanding that the government doesn't accept his (already accepted) bid and instead gives the island to them.

I think someone needs to explain how an auction works to them.

(http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/may/13/haunted-island-poveglia-venice-sells)

According to the comments, there is actually something more going on with the sale than a straight auction. So it could go either way.
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

gingerzing

« Reply #26946 on: May 16, 2014, 10:50:23 AM »
Nominating the crew who has been working for 4 days on the house at the end of my street. 
One small thing to note.  I live at the top of a dead end road.  There is only one way to the houses on our street. By this lady's house.

The neighbor who lives down at the bottom of my block is getting a brand new spiffy retaining wall put in on the side of her house that runs along the same side as my street.   (It is going to be really nice and solid.)  I do not begrudge this at all since the old one was basically just big stones and were falling apart.    I also understand that it takes a while to do this job because they had to dig out a bunch of dirt and then have the big stone blocks and gravel to put behind. 

What does make me a bit crazy is that everything is being parked at the end of our road or in the street right in front of her house (on the corner) and it is making life difficult to manuever.  Especially since the dirtpile they dug out is making a huge mud mess in the street.  And the stone blocks are on the sidewalk on the opposite side of the road as her house, but the pallet is sticking out just a WEE bit onto the road and they have their mini dozers parked next to her wall leaving barely enough room for a car to pass.  Okay, that is still doable.  With the mud a bit like driving on slush though.
But while they are working (well past 7 last night) the one guy sits in his little dozer in the open lane and none of the workers seem to notice when cars are coming up or down the road.  You have to honk then hope they will move. 

Added bonus for today. 
Garbage day. Not sure how the garbage truck will come up our hill today. 
AND my neighbor- whose backyard comes up to my driveway-is having a tree service come and remove the big dead tree from next to our retaining wall.  And she got our permission to have the tree people use our drive.  Hope they are going to be able to get up our street as well.

HelenB

« Reply #26947 on: May 16, 2014, 12:10:50 PM »
The air travel stories reminded me of two airport SS's I ran into recently.

My husband and I flew from Minnesota to Arizona this March. One thing to keep in mind for the second story is that Minnesota had its coldest winter in 30+ years, this past winter. (US Geography moment:  Minnesota is in the northern US, bordering Canada.  Arizona is in the south-west of the US, bordering Mexico.  March is still winter for Minnesota.)

We had an insanely early flight out of MSP (Minneapolis/St Paul airport). There were two lines for getting into the security area.  One for regular passengers, and one for business class/"gold" or whatever frequent fliers.  Because of the early hour there was only one TSA agent on duty, checking ID and boarding passes before letting people into the xray area.

A guy came up the "get priority" aisle and stood at the front (this is not the SS activity). The TSA agent was helping an elderly couple understand what documents and IDs they needed to show her, but looked at him and nodded.  Priority guy looked impatiently at her, looked around as though searching for an agent to staff the empty second station, and then just walked into the xray area.

At that point the agent had to jump up and bring him back, telling him that she would be with him right after finishing with the people she was working with.  He did not look happy at having to wait.

Yes, it's possible he was running late to a flight (4:30 am), but who thinks they can just skip the ID check anymore? Just because you're in the priority lane does not mean you get to break into a check being done in the regular lane. And, if you're running late, just ask the agent if she can check your ID right away.

====================

We had an insanely late flight back to Minnesota (landed about 11:30PM).  We went to the ground transportation area, where you can get taxis/shuttles to your final destination. There were many people still dressed for Arizona there (not the SS part -- unwise perhaps, but not SS).

The SS was a lady who was complaining that you had to go outside to get to your shuttle!! Didn't they know it was cold out there? She shouldn't have to go outside!

Mentally I told her "Yes, they know it's cold. It's Minnesota in winter. That's why other people are wearing coats, instead of shorts, a tank top and sandals."

I don't know what she was expecting -- a heated garage with airlock at the airport and at the hotel?

Public service announcement:  When going to a cold weather destination from a warm one, it's a good idea to bring along heavier clothes to change into once you arrive. Even if you think you'll only be running to the taxi, and then running into a hotel, you could still end up in a situation where you're standing outside with no protection.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #26948 on: May 16, 2014, 12:35:08 PM »
Even just on the plane, I never wear anything but long pants and have layers on top (short sleeve shirt, long sleeved shirt, cardigan) in case it is cool. Sometimes the passenger next to you has the vent all the way open and you get chilled from it.

doodlemor

« Reply #26949 on: May 16, 2014, 01:44:32 PM »

Public service announcement:  When going to a cold weather destination from a warm one, it's a good idea to bring along heavier clothes to change into once you arrive. Even if you think you'll only be running to the taxi, and then running into a hotel, you could still end up in a situation where you're standing outside with no protection.

People just seem to be clueless, or else they put the idea of going back to a cool climate out of their minds.  I remember getting off of a Sarasota to Buffalo, NY flight at the end of spring break.  Many of the passengers were wearing shorts, t-shirts, or tank tops.  It was a beautiful sunny day in Buffalo...........with a high temperature of only 46 degrees.

AngelicGamer

« Reply #26950 on: May 16, 2014, 03:07:57 PM »

People just seem to be clueless, or else they put the idea of going back to a cool climate out of their minds.  I remember getting off of a Sarasota to Buffalo, NY flight at the end of spring break.  Many of the passengers were wearing shorts, t-shirts, or tank tops.  It was a beautiful sunny day in Buffalo...........with a high temperature of only 46 degrees.

Heat wave!  :)

"Life's tough, huh?  And then you die." ~ Buck, the Magnificent Seven.

Tierrainney

• Where the swans winter
« Reply #26951 on: May 16, 2014, 03:10:30 PM »

Heat wave!  :)

Definately a Heatwave!

My husband used to deliberately wear shorts on the airplane to visit his family up north, but he was in college at the time and had sweats in his carry on to put on once he scared them at the arrival gate. :)
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26952 on: May 16, 2014, 03:39:20 PM »
The reverse is true too though.

We had a college group field studies class in Hawaii (about volcanoes) and when we were at the airport in Hawaii and the second plane in Arizona people all stared at us as though they were quite sure we were asylum escapees.  We all had on long pants and long sleeved sweaters or fleece jackets and heavy shoes with socks.  Everyone else was wearing shorts and tank tops and sandals.

They laughed at us quite openly until they got off the plane with us in Chicago where it was snowing like crazy.  Then it wasn't quite so funny any more.  WE were the ones smiling.   >:D

Shalamar

« Reply #26953 on: May 16, 2014, 03:40:49 PM »
Back when my mother was working for a union office, some of the union reps were allowed to go on an R&R trip* somewhere hot in February.  (We live in the Canadian prairies, so like Minnesota, February is still in the dead of winter.)  After being away for a week, these union reps apparently completely forgot what a Manitoba winter was like, because they were overheard chatting happily about opening up their cabins when they got back and doing some golfing.  :o

*Those R&R trips were something else.  Basically a paid vacation somewhere like the Bahamas.  But you could never call them a vacation, otherwise the reps would deny it indignantly.  I once said "Someone should explain to them what the 'R's in 'R&R' stand for."

MrsVandy

• Formally futurelillady
« Reply #26954 on: May 16, 2014, 05:17:33 PM »
Found a snowflake in the grocery store today. Strawberries were on sale and this snowflake was not only blocking every ones access to them, she was also opening each package and picking which ones looked best and putting them in her package. My DH did report it to an employee who said he couldn't do anything.