Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5387272 times)

MrsVandy

• Formally futurelillady
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #26955 on: May 16, 2014, 05:17:33 PM »
Found a snowflake in the grocery store today. Strawberries were on sale and this snowflake was not only blocking every ones access to them, she was also opening each package and picking which ones looked best and putting them in her package. My DH did report it to an employee who said he couldn't do anything.

doodlemor

« Reply #26956 on: May 16, 2014, 08:03:32 PM »

Public service announcement:  When going to a cold weather destination from a warm one, it's a good idea to bring along heavier clothes to change into once you arrive. Even if you think you'll only be running to the taxi, and then running into a hotel, you could still end up in a situation where you're standing outside with no protection.

People just seem to be clueless, or else they put the idea of going back to a cool climate out of their minds.  I remember getting off of a Sarasota to Buffalo, NY flight at the end of spring break.  Many of the passengers were wearing shorts, t-shirts, or tank tops.  It was a beautiful sunny day in Buffalo...........with a high temperature of only 46 degrees.

Heat wave!  :)

C'mon, Buffalo actually has rather nice weather!  Today it was sunny and cool, but a perfect day to do stuff outdoors without getting overheated.

Everyone still remembers the infamous Blizzard of '77.  That one was a stunner. 

In the summer there are cool breezes off of Lake Erie and the Niagara River.  Yeah, in the winter the snow can get excessive, but the municipalities in the area are quick to get it plowed away.  Syracuse and the areas on the eastern end of Lake Ontario get much more snow.

Buffalo has many arty cultural things going on, and is a quick drive to Toronto, which is also a lovely cosmopolitan city.  The lake and the river are beautiful.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #26957 on: May 17, 2014, 07:14:06 PM »
DF and I joined a line of people in the express lane at Wal-Mart.  The lady before us had 2 items, we had about 13.  When it was time for the lady to pay, she presented to the cashier what looked like a paycheck and asked if she could pay with that.  Approximately 6 minutes later, it was determined that she could not*.  However, that was not made readily apparent to anyone but her and the cashier because we were still standing there waiting.  Finally, about 8 minutes into her having begun her transaction, DF offers to pay for her stuff because he and I both thought that check was the only thing with which she had to pay.  She declined the offer and produced cash to pay for her $10 worth of items.  All in all, her 2 item transaction took ~10 minutes.  So much for the express lane.

*A manager had come back with the check and the cashier was still holding it as she spoke to the lady.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Redsoil

« Reply #26958 on: May 18, 2014, 04:59:30 AM »
I do think a lot of people could stand to be more "situationally aware" to avoid inconveniencing others.  If she had thought a little about those she was holding up, the outcome would have been very different.
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #26959 on: May 18, 2014, 06:22:37 AM »
I do think a lot of people could stand to be more "situationally aware" to avoid inconveniencing others.  If she had thought a little about those she was holding up, the outcome would have been very different.

Agreed. Had she not been in the express lane, it wouldn't have been a problem at all. In fact, I wouldn't have thought twice if she was in a normal lane.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #26960 on: May 18, 2014, 10:10:31 AM »

Agreed. Had she not been in the express lane, it wouldn't have been a problem at all. In fact, I wouldn't have thought twice if she was in a normal lane.

I'm wondering whether she was purchasing those two items *because* she needed to cash the check.  In which case it makes sense that she'd press when the cashier told her she couldn't.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26961 on: May 18, 2014, 10:27:12 AM »

I'm wondering whether she was purchasing those two items *because* she needed to cash the check.  In which case it makes sense that she'd press when the cashier told her she couldn't.

I think you're right, but around here it's pretty common knowledge that if you need to cash a check over a certain amount of money or if it's a third party check, you go to the service desk first and get that done there.  Most cashiers aren't allowed to accept pay checks as payment for groceries. 

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #26962 on: May 18, 2014, 01:28:14 PM »
I think I may have already nominated 2 sets of party neighbors but last night it got crazy

Popcorn's yard
------fence------------|                                   T
                               |                                   h
     My                      |                                   e
     backyard             | Music  House                i
                               |                                   r
                               |
                               |                                   s
------fence------------|---------------------         t
                               |                                    r
 Front door               |                                   e
 Faces  -->               | soccer house                e
                               |                                   t
  d                            |
                               |----------------------

My street

Soccer
  • [size=78%]Games happen in their back yard after dark[/size]
  • [/size][size=78%]They have lighting for the yard that lights up every room in my house on that side of the house even with blinds drawn[/size]
  • [/size][size=78%]These are full on games lots of screaming, ref with whistle[/size]
  • [/size][size=78%]All of that is heard over the loud music playing before, during, and after the game[/size]
  • [/size][size=78%]They can't keep the ball in bounds or in the freaking yard. They hit my bay window 2x, and Abby in my back yard 1x, and were complaining that I had kept the 4th ball. They came uninvited into my backyard last night looking for it and I ordered them out - This is Texas no-one with a lick of sense goes poking about in their neighbor's back yard after dark without permission. The ball turned up this morning. It went right over my yard into the one behind me and hit poor popcorn, (their dog) just like Abby got hit. [/size]
[/size]Music House[size=78%]
[/size]Has a massive outside music system and parties almost every weekend school is out. My windows rattle from their music.[size=78%]

[/size]The two houses have different taste in music - I am dreading summer and their version of battle of the bands. I have the county non emergency number on my speed dial. [size=78%]

[/size]Forget summer - they just started a battle of the bands while I was posting this.[size=78%]
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Queen of Clubs

« Reply #26963 on: May 18, 2014, 02:59:56 PM »
Why are there so many size tags in your post, Kherbert?  I see "size=78%" over and over again, but I don't remember seeing them in other people's posts.  Am I the only one who sees them?

• [/size][size=78%]They have lighting for the yard that lights up every room in my house on that side of the house even with blinds drawn[/size]
  • [/size][size=78%]These are full on games lots of screaming, ref with whistle[/size]
  • [/size][size=78%]All of that is heard over the loud music playing before, during, and after the game[/size]
  • [/size][size=78%]They can't keep the ball in bounds or in the freaking yard. They hit my bay window 2x, and Abby in my back yard 1x, and were complaining that I had kept the 4th ball. They came uninvited into my backyard last night looking for it and I ordered them out - This is Texas no-one with a lick of sense goes poking about in their neighbor's back yard after dark without permission. The ball turned up this morning. It went right over my yard into the one behind me and hit poor popcorn, (their dog) just like Abby got hit. [/size]
[/size]Has a massive outside music system and parties almost every weekend school is out. My windows rattle from their music.[size=78%]

[/size]The two houses have different taste in music - I am dreading summer and their version of battle of the bands. I have the county non emergency number on my speed dial. [size=78%]

[/size]Forget summer - they just started a battle of the bands while I was posting this.[size=78%]

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #26964 on: May 18, 2014, 03:14:10 PM »
Why are there so many size tags in your post, Kherbert?  I see "size=78%" over and over again, but I don't remember seeing them in other people's posts.  Am I the only one who sees them?

I see them too.

hermanne

• Visualize whorled peas...
« Reply #26965 on: May 18, 2014, 03:51:37 PM »

I see them too.

I see size tags...
Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!

StuffedGrapeLeaves

« Reply #26966 on: May 18, 2014, 04:49:44 PM »

Along this line, I nominate this woman at Target yesterday.  It was very crowded and each open line was three-four people deep (there were a lot of open lines, too, at least 10).  This woman in front of me has a full cart of clothes.  The SS part was that she took each one off the cart, asked the cashier to ring up the price, spoke with her companion at length about whether they should buy this item, and then repeat for the next piece of clothing. 

I ended up moving to a different line, and by the time I checked out she was still at it, and the cart was at least half full.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #26967 on: May 18, 2014, 06:11:26 PM »

I think it is because I use chrome. Sometimes I can click edit and remove them sometimes I can't.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Queen of Clubs

« Reply #26968 on: May 18, 2014, 06:20:03 PM »

I think it is because I use chrome. Sometimes I can click edit and remove them sometimes I can't.

Ah, thanks for the explanation.  I've been wondering if it was just me for a while now. :)

Reika

« Reply #26969 on: May 18, 2014, 07:37:26 PM »

I don't think it's Chrome since I use it and don't get the size tags.

As for staying on topic, I nominate the two jerks who parked to either side of me at the theater today. They both parked right next to the lines so it was almost impossible to get into my car, then it took 5 minutes of maneuvering to get out of my parking spot without hitting either of them.

Maybe I could have gone back in to the theater to see if they could locate either of the snowflakes, but considering how busy they were, it was easier for me to do what I could to get out on my own.