Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5297397 times)

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #27345 on: June 06, 2014, 01:11:03 PM »

...   (Though I wouldn't argue that the guy is a class act. A class act would have put his car in reverse and back out, then driven away, after saying to the kids (ignoring the mom), "Sorry to scare you, guys! Bye!")

I'm so glad you mentioned that.  Yes, the woman was horrible and rude and obnoxious and disgusting.  But what did he intend to prove by videotaping her?  Why didn't he just apologize briefly to the kids and then leave?  He was in many ways the one who kept this confrontation going!  Why?  What was his motivation in doing that?

to be quite honest I'm going to say it was so she could later call the police after he was gone an accuse him of something he didn't do.

Actually I went and look and she has already changed her story to say that  she got upset because he almost ran over her child. so again  I can understand why  he would want to tape it.  Without the tape it would be her word against his

It still is her word against his since the video didn't capture what happened before she started her tirade. The video just makes it seem more likely that his word is correct.

LadyDyani

• Freelance Editor
« Reply #27346 on: June 06, 2014, 01:23:38 PM »
My 6 y.o. granddaughter is a SS!  ;D I usually take her home with me after church (she loves spending alone time with grandma) but she requires a lot of one-on-one attention. I love to do that, like playing pretend, taking a walk, etc; but if I try to direct her to do something solo (like watch cartoons, or color, so grandma can have some alone time for a couple of minutes), she starts to pout.

So I've learned to say, "OK, you don't want to do X, or Y, or Z, then I'll take you home." That usually fixes things! I've learned from being on this site to have a polite spine and "call" people, even loved ones, on their issues. And while I'm certainly willing to cater and spoil a grandchild to a certain degree, if grandma tells you to do something, you need to do it. We'll all get along much better. I've been seeing less pouting since I started doing this.

You are doing her a big favor! (And making the coming years easier for you, too!)

This makes me laugh because my son is getting to that stage where he recognizes his own emotions, (which is good) and thinks that he's the only one in the world having them. (which is bad.) He's going through this bargaining phase where he says, "If you don't let me do/have X, then I'll be really upset or I'll be really mad."

He finds is absolutely dumbfounding when I say, "Well, you'll get over it eventually."

Haha, you gotta love them when they're in the teeny-tiny-Napoleonic-dictator stage. They eventually figure out that, yes, they have a whole universe inside their head, but so does everyone else. It's like a lightbulb moment when they figure that out.
English doesn't borrow from other languages, it follows them down dark alleys and beats them up and searches their pockets for loose grammar.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #27347 on: June 06, 2014, 01:37:10 PM »
... my son is getting to that stage where he recognizes his own emotions, (which is good) and thinks that he's the only one in the world having them. (which is bad.) He's going through this bargaining phase where he says, "If you don't let me do/have X, then I'll be really upset or I'll be really mad."

He finds is absolutely dumbfounding when I say, "Well, you'll get over it eventually."

What a wise mother you are! Think of all the wonderful things you are teaching him.

pinkflamingo

« Reply #27348 on: June 06, 2014, 03:06:48 PM »

Haha, you gotta love them when they're in the teeny-tiny-Napoleonic-dictator stage. They eventually figure out that, yes, they have a whole universe inside their head, but so does everyone else. It's like a lightbulb moment when they figure that out.

My nephew is still in that stage (he's four). I was there shortly before bedtime recently and he marched up to me with a book and said, "Read this to me." His mom gently reminded him, "Ask nicely. What do we say?" He thought about it a minute and said, "Aunt pinkflamingo, read this to me." It's hard teaching kids manners when you're trying not to laugh.

Bexx27

• Striving to meet the minimum requirements of social acceptability
« Reply #27349 on: June 06, 2014, 03:19:12 PM »

My nephew is still in that stage (he's four). I was there shortly before bedtime recently and he marched up to me with a book and said, "Read this to me." His mom gently reminded him, "Ask nicely. What do we say?" He thought about it a minute and said, "Aunt pinkflamingo, read this to me." It's hard teaching kids manners when you're trying not to laugh.

My DD just turned 5 and is still working on the concept of "asking nicely." If a demand request is made in a whiny/shouty voice, tacking on a "please" does not make it "nice."  ::)
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these. -George Washington Carver

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27350 on: June 06, 2014, 04:37:59 PM »
My 6 y.o. granddaughter is a SS!  ;D I usually take her home with me after church (she loves spending alone time with grandma) but she requires a lot of one-on-one attention. I love to do that, like playing pretend, taking a walk, etc; but if I try to direct her to do something solo (like watch cartoons, or color, so grandma can have some alone time for a couple of minutes), she starts to pout.

So I've learned to say, "OK, you don't want to do X, or Y, or Z, then I'll take you home." That usually fixes things! I've learned from being on this site to have a polite spine and "call" people, even loved ones, on their issues. And while I'm certainly willing to cater and spoil a grandchild to a certain degree, if grandma tells you to do something, you need to do it. We'll all get along much better. I've been seeing less pouting since I started doing this.

You are doing her a big favor! (And making the coming years easier for you, too!)

This makes me laugh because my son is getting to that stage where he recognizes his own emotions, (which is good) and thinks that he's the only one in the world having them. (which is bad.) He's going through this bargaining phase where he says, "If you don't let me do/have X, then I'll be really upset or I'll be really mad."

And does it provoke the "NO, I WON'T! YOU HAVE RUINED MY LIFE FOREVER!!!!screaming tantrum speech?  ;D
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Shalamar

« Reply #27351 on: June 06, 2014, 05:15:44 PM »
I thought, "*You* were the one who scared your son!" If you'd modeled a calm behavior after the near-miss, he would have recovered from any fright pretty soon. Instead, you created this huge altercation that has completely undone him. He's frightened because of the nastiness -you- initiated."

Oh my stars, this reminds me of my dad.  I sometimes think he invented road rage.  He used to go ballistic if another driver cut him off - he'd race the guy, tailgate him, scream at him, threaten to punch his lights out, you name it.   When I was little, this terrified me.  He pulled the same stunt when I was an adult, and I gave him what-for, saying "Never pull that routine with me in the car again.  You did it all the time when I was a kid, and I'm sick of it."  He kept protesting and trying to justify his actions, saying "But that other guy did (blah)!"  "I.  Don't.  Care."   

RooRoo

• Iím out of my mind. Please leave a message.
« Reply #27352 on: June 07, 2014, 01:23:23 AM »
I'd like to nominate the several drivers who tried to follow an ambulance through a red light..despite two traffic cops motioning them to stop.

I'd like to nominate the cop following the ambulance through very heavy rush hour traffic (letting it clear traffic), then shutting off his lights and turning into the doughnut store.

Yea buddy, I saw you. Pity I didn't get your vehicle number. But we all know nothing will happen...

Perhaps there was an emergency at the doughnut shop?   ???
While the turn into a donut store has me wondering, I would like to point out that some cops will follow ambulances and/or fire trucks in order to pull over and ticket the oblivious special snowflakes who refuse to get out of the way. (What part of "lights and sirens mean pull over to the right [USA] and stop" do they not understand?)
"Someday we must write a book of Etiquette for sensible people," said Mrs. Morland, "though apart from a few rules it really boils down to an educated mind and a kind heart." ~ Angela Thirkell, Never Too Late

eltf177

« Reply #27353 on: June 07, 2014, 04:33:17 AM »
I'd like to nominate the several drivers who tried to follow an ambulance through a red light..despite two traffic cops motioning them to stop.

I'd like to nominate the cop following the ambulance through very heavy rush hour traffic (letting it clear traffic), then shutting off his lights and turning into the doughnut store.

Yea buddy, I saw you. Pity I didn't get your vehicle number. But we all know nothing will happen...

While the turn into a donut store has me wondering, I would like to point out that some cops will follow ambulances and/or fire trucks in order to pull over and ticket the oblivious special snowflakes who refuse to get out of the way. (What part of "lights and sirens mean pull over to the right [USA] and stop" do they not understand?)

The ambulance kept going, it was still quite a way from the hospital (which is where I assume he was heading). So no, I don't believe he was following it to keep the path clear - he was using it to get to the doughnut store without having to sit in traffic like the rest of us. And more than once I've seen a cop use his lights and sirens to get through a red light only to turn them off once he's through and keep going normally.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #27354 on: June 07, 2014, 07:32:35 AM »

...   (Though I wouldn't argue that the guy is a class act. A class act would have put his car in reverse and back out, then driven away, after saying to the kids (ignoring the mom), "Sorry to scare you, guys! Bye!")

I'm so glad you mentioned that.  Yes, the woman was horrible and rude and obnoxious and disgusting.  But what did he intend to prove by videotaping her?  Why didn't he just apologize briefly to the kids and then leave?  He was in many ways the one who kept this confrontation going!  Why?  What was his motivation in doing that?
I know others have said this but it was CYA - I know some very good people who have used their camera to video similar situations. They wanted proof of the racist temper tantrum to show the police if the racist did call the cops and make up a story that put them in the bad guy place. For example if this woman called the cops and said he had frightened the children by gunning the engine and acting like he was going to jump the curb and run into them.

Not even racism. My BIL was T-boned. The person who hit him was older. She threw a fit and tried to convince everyone that BIL had run the red light not her. This was before traffic cams and phone cameras became common.  He was lucky that several people pulled over and gave the police officer statements and BIL their contact information. BIL looks a lot younger than he is - and we figure she thought he was a teenager and that she could shift the blame since "all teenagers are reckless drivers".
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #27355 on: June 07, 2014, 08:25:05 AM »

The ambulance kept going, it was still quite a way from the hospital (which is where I assume he was heading). So no, I don't believe he was following it to keep the path clear - he was using it to get to the doughnut store without having to sit in traffic like the rest of us. And more than once I've seen a cop use his lights and sirens to get through a red light only to turn them off once he's through and keep going normally.

They may still be going someplace. I don't know about the cop and the doughnut shop, but I've seen emergency vehicles turn on the siren briefly for an intersection many times. Around here, I don't usually hear them turn on their sirens for the whole trip.
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #27356 on: June 07, 2014, 09:23:31 AM »

My DD just turned 5 and is still working on the concept of "asking nicely." If a demand request is made in a whiny/shouty voice, tacking on a "please" does not make it "nice."  ::)

My niece is 3 and does not like to use "please".  Her mom has to remind her multiple times!  Last week, at her dad's birthday party (side note: is my sister in law's husband my brother in law?) she marched up to me and announced, "Auntie Lady is a giggler!  Aunt Lady giggle!"  I said, "Well, first you have to do something funny to make me laugh!".  She then tried to tickle me, but ended up hitting me in the chest instead.  The idea of my niece deliberately hitting me to make me laugh was funny, so I laughed a little.  Unfortunately, this encouraged her, so she hit me about four more times before I could get her to stop!  Teaching children manners while laughing is painful! :P

dawbs

« Reply #27357 on: June 07, 2014, 10:48:20 AM »
lights and sirens mean pull over to the right [USA] and stop" do they not understand?)

They may still be going someplace. I don't know about the cop and the doughnut shop, but I've seen emergency vehicles turn on the siren briefly for an intersection many times. Around here, I don't usually hear them turn on their sirens for the whole trip.
[/quote]

Yup, if they're in a rush for a legitimate reason but don't want lights and sirens the whole way (because making an announcement they're coming is either a bad idea or overkill), they'll use them at intersections only.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #27358 on: June 07, 2014, 10:54:21 AM »
Besides which, they're working. And they're working for all of us. So if it saves them 15 minutes to get to wherever they're going, even if it isn't an emergency, I don't consider it to be out of line. It's police business.

Donut shop, well.....

esposita

• If you have the power to make someone happy, do it
« Reply #27359 on: June 07, 2014, 11:12:12 AM »
lights and sirens mean pull over to the right [USA] and stop" do they not understand?)

Yup, if they're in a rush for a legitimate reason but don't want lights and sirens the whole way (because making an announcement they're coming is either a bad idea or overkill), they'll use them at intersections only.
[/quote]

Yep, they have to get to places quickly, but want to get there quietly. Most police calls are domestics, and it doesn't really work well if they have sirens announcing to the violent enraged person that they are there. Then it becomes "he said she said." rather than an officer hearing what's going on as they walk to the door.