Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5042395 times)

greencat

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #27405 on: June 12, 2014, 03:00:17 PM »
I think it wasn't the check writing or even the fumbling in her purse for the checkbook that was the special snowflakiness.  I think it was the adding on extra things to her purchase, pushing it into an amount that she, being a manager at that store, would know would require manager approval, and doing so piecemeal so that the transaction had to be recalculated multiple times, that made her a special snowflake.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #27406 on: June 12, 2014, 03:10:51 PM »
I think it wasn't the check writing or even the fumbling in her purse for the checkbook that was the special snowflakiness.  I think it was the adding on extra things to her purchase, pushing it into an amount that she, being a manager at that store, would know would require manager approval, and doing so piecemeal so that the transaction had to be recalculated multiple times, that made her a special snowflake.

This.  She knew how to make the transaction quicker and decidedly chose not to, purposefully inconveniencing those around her.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #27407 on: June 12, 2014, 06:05:54 PM »

This.  She knew how to make the transaction quicker and decidedly chose not to, purposefully inconveniencing those around her.

Or she's scatterbrained.

Sorry, I'm not on board with this verdict.

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #27408 on: June 12, 2014, 07:18:08 PM »
I still don't think of that as Special Snowflake. Disorganized, certainly; annoying, yes. But not really demanding such special treatment just because she's special.

I think part of being a Special Snowflake is that you're so immersed in your own little world that you don't even consider everyone else that you're inconveniencing.  And this woman certainly fits the bill in that regard. 

AustenGirl10

« Reply #27409 on: June 12, 2014, 07:22:28 PM »
Agreed.  I've worked in customer service, and this is the same kind of person who would come up to the front desk and demand my attention instantly, even if I was helping someone else.  It was as if the Special Snowflake couldn't even see the other person.  Of course no one else exists!

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #27410 on: June 12, 2014, 07:44:27 PM »
I still don't think of that as Special Snowflake. Disorganized, certainly; annoying, yes. But not really demanding such special treatment just because she's special.

I think part of being a Special Snowflake is that you're so immersed in your own little world that you don't even consider everyone else that you're inconveniencing.  And this woman certainly fits the bill in that regard.

I agree.  I think the woman was definitely a special snowflake.  And I don't think we need to police the thread for "real" special snowflakes to the point where people are afraid to post stories.  If the behavior cannot possibly be considered snowflakey, fine, point that out (we had some customer service stories a while back that were like that).  But in this case, there's definitely enough self-centered behavior that many/most consider it snowflakey, so let's agree that maybe some of us have a more strict definition than others, and maybe just leave it at that?

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #27411 on: June 12, 2014, 09:10:32 PM »

We'll have to disagree--I don't think it's the same level of entitlement, to simply be absorbed in your own life.

Jones

« Reply #27412 on: June 12, 2014, 09:12:51 PM »
Possibly half the people listed in this thread were "simply absorbed with themselves". I would consider myself a SS if I pulled the aforementioned stunt at the store where I used to work, express lane or no.

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #27413 on: June 12, 2014, 09:16:09 PM »
I nominate my fellow patient at the antenatal clinic.     I had been waiting 2.5 hours for my appointment (a big issue, but long story and irrelevant), the Dr finally comes out and calls my name and I head to the door, only to be blocked by another patient accosting the Dr wanting to know where she was in the queue and when it was her turn.   

Yes, it's awful waiting over 2 hours to be seen by a Dr for a routine check-up, and I'm pretty sure she'd been waiting nearly as long as I had (it's a huge clinic at the hospital with a few dozen people in the waiting room so hard to tell, but she'd been there awhile).   But that doesn't mean, when you hear the Dr call the name of somebody else you jump in, further delaying a clearly overloaded system.   Because, you know, the faster the Dr got to actually see me the sooner the other lady's turn would come.  ::)

Incidentally, I too had earlier checked to see where I was in the queue - but I checked with the admin staff at the desk when they weren't busy checking in any new patients, I didn't wait and pounce on the next Dr who stuck their head out.    And yes, I was also annoyed that the Dr didn't direct SS to check with the admin staff instead of stopping to assist them, it was only a few minutes but it was annoying seeing my turn had *finally* arrived.  Oh and the Dr momentarily considered letting SS go ahead of me - she paused and asked me "How long have you been waiting?" and my response was a polite but firm:   "Since 9:30 and I'm definitely not waiting any longer."   She reassured SS of her spot in the queue and saw me as she should.    (I saw when the Dr went and checked the pile of files for SS's, SS's was a couple below mine in the pile, so unless there'd been some odd mix-up it was definitely my turn!).   I finally got to work at 1:15pm that day, and the antenatal clinic had the cheek this week to try to auto-book me for another Wednesday appointment and left a message on my cell about it "informing" me of when it is.   I will be calling back and confirming as discussed with them previously that there is no way I will be attending that specific Dr clinic in future!!
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #27414 on: June 12, 2014, 09:34:34 PM »
This is why at the radiology clinic there we signs that explain that people who Coe, in after you may be seen before you because of the different sorts of scans they need. That can also go for making appointments. DH got in the same day for a CT scan but I wasn't while to get an antenatal ultrasound for two weeks, which was too late so I had to call around to various clinics to get in sooner.

doodlemor

« Reply #27415 on: June 12, 2014, 11:54:29 PM »
I nominate my fellow patient at the antenatal clinic.     I had been waiting 2.5 hours for my appointment (a big issue, but long story and irrelevant), the Dr finally comes out and calls my name and I head to the door, only to be blocked by another patient accosting the Dr wanting to know where she was in the queue and when it was her turn.   

Yes, it's awful waiting over 2 hours to be seen by a Dr for a routine check-up, and I'm pretty sure she'd been waiting nearly as long as I had (it's a huge clinic at the hospital with a few dozen people in the waiting room so hard to tell, but she'd been there awhile).   But that doesn't mean, when you hear the Dr call the name of somebody else you jump in, further delaying a clearly overloaded system.   Because, you know, the faster the Dr got to actually see me the sooner the other lady's turn would come.  ::)

Incidentally, I too had earlier checked to see where I was in the queue - but I checked with the admin staff at the desk when they weren't busy checking in any new patients, I didn't wait and pounce on the next Dr who stuck their head out.    And yes, I was also annoyed that the Dr didn't direct SS to check with the admin staff instead of stopping to assist them, it was only a few minutes but it was annoying seeing my turn had *finally* arrived.  Oh and the Dr momentarily considered letting SS go ahead of me - she paused and asked me "How long have you been waiting?" and my response was a polite but firm:   "Since 9:30 and I'm definitely not waiting any longer."   She reassured SS of her spot in the queue and saw me as she should.    (I saw when the Dr went and checked the pile of files for SS's, SS's was a couple below mine in the pile, so unless there'd been some odd mix-up it was definitely my turn!).   I finally got to work at 1:15pm that day, and the antenatal clinic had the cheek this week to try to auto-book me for another Wednesday appointment and left a message on my cell about it "informing" me of when it is.   I will be calling back and confirming as discussed with them previously that there is no way I will be attending that specific Dr clinic in future!!

The woman was a SS Ceallach, and I'm glad that you didn't let her walk on you.

You reminded me of something from my youth.  Both of my children were delivered by our family practice doctor, who had a busy office with long waits occasionally up to two hours.  When I was expecting my first child I called the doctor's office one day and told them that I'd need to reschedule my routine appointment for that day because I was tired, had a cold, and was too sick to sit and wait to see the doctor for a routine visit.  [I was no where near term.] 

I can't believe that I did that - must have been pregnancy brain.  The office staff was taken aback, but I was adamant that I wasn't going to make the long drive to another town after teaching all day and sit and wait for a routine appointment when I had an annoying cold and felt crummy.  I rescheduled, and the nurse practitioner did call to check up on me.

When I was expecting my second child four years later the office policy had changed, and routine pregnancy checkup patients were taken in immediately at their appointment times.  I don't think the policy was necessarily changed due to my mini rebellion, but I suspect that it helped bring the issue to the attention of the staff.

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #27416 on: June 13, 2014, 12:45:28 AM »

We'll have to disagree--I don't think it's the same level of entitlement, to simply be absorbed in your own life.

I'm with you, Toots. Inconsiderate and rude to be sure, but not SS.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #27417 on: June 13, 2014, 03:48:46 AM »
I nominate this person: http://gothamist.com/2014/06/12/water_fountain_or_dog_bidet.php#

That's some special entitlement right there.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

123sandy

« Reply #27418 on: June 13, 2014, 04:53:32 AM »
I nominate this person: http://gothamist.com/2014/06/12/water_fountain_or_dog_bidet.php#

That's some special entitlement right there.

That is just disgusting!

Margo

« Reply #27419 on: June 13, 2014, 07:00:16 AM »
it is disgusting. And totally bizarre that anyone would think that was OK.

Although with an open air drinking fountain there must always be the possibility of wild birds and animals being on/in the fountain so the extra contamination may be less that you'd think at first glance!