Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5300510 times)

judecat

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #27435 on: June 13, 2014, 10:22:50 PM »
It's still not truly identification. It has to be paired with an actual ID, and even then all it proves is that you have an SSN.

http://www.nationalnotary.org/bulletin/best_practices/tips/hotline_tip_is_social_security_card_a_valid_id.html

The social security card itself is not ID,  but the number sure is used as proof of identity now days. 
Back in the late 60's,  early 70's the only thing the number was used for was for your social security account.  Someone had the not too bright idea to replace military serial numbers with you SS#,  which was printed or written along with your name and rank on every article of your uniform,  and gear.  But it still wasn't used for anything else.
10 Years later you needed your SS# to get utilities,  and a former friend couldn't use her own because of over due bills,  so she used mine,  which she had gotten off of the duffel bag that I gave to her son when I got out of the army.  And she got a couple credit cards in my name using the same information,  and went to the DMV and got a photo ID again using my information.  (So she had a drivers licence in her own name,  and a Photo ID in mine.  I had a non photo drivers licence from another state.   First I start getting bills from collection agencies,  then I give up my drivers license and got to get a state ID,  and find out that I already have one,  with the picture and address of my former friend.  Took almost 15 years to straighten out that mess.

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #27436 on: June 14, 2014, 12:11:50 PM »
Someone had the not too bright idea to replace military serial numbers with you SS#,  which was printed or written along with your name and rank on every article of your uniform, and gear.  But it still wasn't used for anything else.
As some of you know, Mr. Nutrax recently pass away. He turned out to be a major packrat who saved many things, including every letter he ever received while in the Army in the mid 1960s. Every one of the envelopes is addressed to "[Military Rank] Nutrax, 000-0000-000."

Since I am receiving certain benefits based on Mr. Nutrax's history, his SSN is still "live," so I had to make sure all those envelopes went into the shred box instead of the recycle box.

Which actually belongs more in the Scammer thread.

So, I'll add the Carry On Hall of Shame. I'm not sure this is the best way to go about it, but it's a newspaper columnist's efforts to call attention to people who insist on taking huge pieces of luggage as carry on.

And this from the "overheard in public" section of a SF Chronicle column. Snowflakey-ness would depend on the exact demands made on guests, although the costume part comes close. "Did you get our invitation to the birthday party? We hired a limo, rented a red carpet and are asking all the kids to come as their favorite celebrities. Can't believe she's turning 3.""

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27437 on: June 14, 2014, 02:01:21 PM »
So, I'll add the Carry On Hall of Shame. I'm not sure this is the best way to go about it, but it's a newspaper columnist's efforts to call attention to people who insist on taking huge pieces of luggage as carry on.

Some of the pictures on there show legitimately ridiculous and oversized luggage taken as carry ons, but one thing that I can't quite get behind is the idea that it's automatically rude and unacceptable to have a rolling suitcase and a backpack or small duffel bag.

I kind of figure that airlines can enforce the fact that only one carry on gets to go in the overhead bin, and anything you're calling your "personal item" should fit under the seat in front of you safely. But most backpacks, large purses, or small duffel bags do fit with room to spare, and some of the smaller rolling bags will even fit under the seat.

I think it's snowflakey to bring more than two bags, or bring more than one that can't fit under the seat, or put both bags into the overhead (unless the flight is empty and there's lots of space, but that almost never happens these days). But just having two bags as large as the airline allows is not by itself rude.

I end up bringing a rolling suitcase (not small, but not the largest size allowed) and a tote-bag-as-purse most of the time, just because I no longer trust airlines not to delay my bags, take things out of them, or keep them dry after a variety of experiences. I therefore keep everything I truly care about with me, along with stuff to do on the flight and a change of at least underwear/socks/shirt and my pajamas in case my bag is delayed. That typically fills my two bags completely full. However, my rolling suitcase fits easily in all overheads that fit any rolling suitcases (and I gate check it on planes too small to accommodate them), and I keep my tote bag under the seat, along with my coat if I have one with me.

Seven Ate Nine

« Reply #27438 on: June 14, 2014, 02:29:48 PM »
Quote from: nutraxfornerves link=topic=51263.msg3166149#msg3166149 date=1402762310

So, I'll add the [url=http://blog.sfgate.com/travel/2014/06/13/carry-on-hall-of-shame/?cmpid=hp-hc-travel
Carry On Hall of Shame[/url]. I'm not sure this is the best way to go about it, but it's a newspaper columnist's efforts to call attention to people who insist on taking huge pieces of luggage as carry on.

I hate people with oversized luggage as much as the next person (especially when they're shoving it in the bin over my head) but some of these pictures look like they're luggage for multiple people.  There is one picture of several women talking and a big pile of luggage next to them.  My first guess would be that they are travelling in a group with probably even a few more people and the luggage has all been stacked so that some can go to the restroom/get snacks while the others stay with the bags.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #27439 on: June 14, 2014, 03:19:02 PM »
It may look like I have three items heading toward the plane - but my "wallet on a strap" purse is going to go into the laptop/book bag once I get to the gate and it WILL fit under the seat in front of me.  I went shopping with the numbers written down as to what would fit...and when I got back, VorSon grabbed it for use as his book bag for school.  I have to "borrow" it back when traveling!

The smaller rolling bag may have been packed with the zipper expanded, but I bought it specifically to match the numbers on the airline that I travel on the most - zipping it compresses things a bit. 

I bought a second, larger rolling bag for checked luggage - but found out that it expanded when packed to a point where it was "iffy" on whether or not it would still meet standards - fortunately, a plain black rolling bag for VorGuy to take on road trips is also very useful.  It holds as much as the solid sided twenty year old suitcase that I took on the flight - but the rolling pilot case fits in the back of our vehicle more easily. 

I fell in love with a seat mates' designer leather tote bag & back pack...but could not bring myself to spend about $500 on eBay for one just like it.  Although it was very useful as well as gorgeous - I'd be afraid to use it at that price!

Next flight planned in October - I may have trouble getting the laptop/book bag back to use...
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 01:18:35 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

HorseFreak

« Reply #27440 on: June 14, 2014, 03:45:29 PM »
The owner of the small business I work for and his contractor buddy are either super SS or just plain dumb. They're expanding the business into the space next door (which is a whole 'nother story about that business' lease not being renewed with 30 days notice so we could have it, then the landlord turning around and lecturing us about problems with our new neighbor). For some reason they decided that partially demoing and building out a business space didn't actually require permits as, "We're just knocking down a couple walls!"

The local inspector disagrees and our clients were so professionally greeted with a neon orange sticker on the wall ordering all work to stop immediately for permit violations. Now the contractor is thousands of miles away on vacation, the plans haven't been finalized and thus cannot be approved by the city AND the business owes some hefty fines for permit violations. Totally worth it.

Jocelyn

« Reply #27441 on: June 15, 2014, 12:17:13 AM »
The young man at the sushi bar today.
He filled his plate. I would guess there were no fewer than 30 pieces of sushi on his plate. He left 4 pieces on the bar, which were taken by his friend.
Leaving only empty platters for me to look at.
Instead of taking only half a plateful, so that everyone in line could have some. 
While he did eat all the sushi, he left a plateful of other food unfinished when he left the restaurant. Not surprising, if I'd eaten 30 pieces of sushi, I'd find it hard to finish the rest of my meal...

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27442 on: June 15, 2014, 01:02:31 AM »
The owner of the small business I work for and his contractor buddy are either super SS or just plain dumb. They're expanding the business into the space next door (which is a whole 'nother story about that business' lease not being renewed with 30 days notice so we could have it, then the landlord turning around and lecturing us about problems with our new neighbor). For some reason they decided that partially demoing and building out a business space didn't actually require permits as, "We're just knocking down a couple walls!"

The local inspector disagrees and our clients were so professionally greeted with a neon orange sticker on the wall ordering all work to stop immediately for permit violations. Now the contractor is thousands of miles away on vacation, the plans haven't been finalized and thus cannot be approved by the city AND the business owes some hefty fines for permit violations. Totally worth it.

Sounds like the guy who bought my parent's house. Planned to renovate, which in my area means you only have to leave one wall intact, but when he did, and began the work, "supposedly" said wall was rotting. Hmmm. So he tore that down and began to build from scratch...without proper permits from the town. Town said oh no no no, shut them down, and made them go through the entire process and get the proper permits. Which took months since the lot was teeny, and he wanted to build a McMansion. I actually saw the new house and was not impressed. They squished it into the lot, and it really wasn't all that big. We (parents and I) think he intended to tear it Finn all along, but thought he could avoid the permitting by going what he did. Nice try!

eltf177

« Reply #27443 on: June 15, 2014, 03:58:18 AM »

Sounds like the guy who bought my parent's house. Planned to renovate, which in my area means you only have to leave one wall intact, but when he did, and began the work, "supposedly" said wall was rotting. Hmmm. So he tore that down and began to build from scratch...without proper permits from the town. Town said oh no no no, shut them down, and made them go through the entire process and get the proper permits. Which took months since the lot was teeny, and he wanted to build a McMansion. I actually saw the new house and was not impressed. They squished it into the lot, and it really wasn't all that big. We (parents and I) think he intended to tear it Finn all along, but thought he could avoid the permitting by going what he did. Nice try!

Something similar happened in our old home town many years ago. A developer had two lots. One had a building permit, the other didn't as it was in a flood plain. He started building on the flood plain. When asked about this "he had a permit." Took a while to figure the permit was for the _other_ lot. Town made him rip up the footing he'd poured and restore the lot to its original condition, I heard they revoked the one permit to "review it." The flood plain remains untouched to this day, he finally got to build on the other lot only after much delay...

Jocelyn

« Reply #27444 on: June 15, 2014, 10:28:09 AM »
A builder in my hometown was taking an old mansion on an estate-sized lot, and turning it into condos. That is, he was subdividing the mansion into apartments, and building similarly styled apartment buildings around it (so that the whole development looked like a grouping of Victorian homes). Midway through the project, the original mansion burned. There were a lot of people who believed the developer did it deliberately to get rid of the old building, but he insisted that he'd almost finished renovating it, and he was going to lose money on it. He ended up building a replica of the original house on the foundations. It's a very interesting apartment complex, completing in keeping with the other old houses on the block. It's in the middle of an area where some of the old houses are being renovated by individuals for family housing, and others have been subdivided into apartments, and occupied primarily by students at the university.

MissRose

« Reply #27445 on: June 15, 2014, 10:43:15 AM »
I encountered so many special snowflake drivers yesterday when visiting some family who live in a town well known for tourism and tourist attractions.  So many forgot to use their turn signals, cut off other drivers but amazingly did not cause an accident among other things (and most have in state plates!)

SCAJAfamily

« Reply #27446 on: June 15, 2014, 01:41:18 PM »
I was just at a live dance performance and everyone behaved well except for the phones.  Ugh. 

To the left of me two seats over was a dad who clapped wildly for his little girl but then pulled out his cell phone and used it between his leg for the rest of the first half.  He did not come back for the second.

Down four rows was a little boy who played on it the whole time.  Mommy tried to get him to keep it low but he'd wave it around a lot and could see the glow the whole time.

Another mom two rows in front was holding up her phone and hiding it with the program.  I figured out she was recording her daughter dancing even though they said in 7 different ways no recordings allowed.
SCAJAfamily = dd S 22, ds C 15, ds A 12, dh J and myself dw A

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #27447 on: June 15, 2014, 02:17:13 PM »
I'm staying home the rest of the day -

Went to my usual Sunday Breakfast place. It is in a strip center. I needed to go to the grocery store after I ate - so I parked closer to them, towards the back off to the side. I got out and started to walk over to the restaurant. Note this is a strip center all the stores share a parking lot.

1. Guy picking up carts Hey you can't park here and leave
Me - I'm going to breakfast place then coming back to shop
Him - You should park there then drive here
Me NO

2. SS Family I was sitting on a bench waiting for my table reading Changes (Dresden Files #12). This lady sat down next to me Her family formed a 1/2 circle  around us. The Hostess called out a name I looked up - SSFamily youngest daughter in a teenage scowl said are we bothering you. Next daughter No she just likes listening to other people's conversations. When my name was called I had to ask 2 times for them to let me by then had to brush by 2 of them because they wouldn't move.

3. SSwoman at next table - kept talking about how rude it was for someone to take up a whole table by themselves on a holiday. Sorry lady but I still get to eat. ($ to  donuts I tipped better than they did since it was a busy holiday and my waitress could have gotten a family with multiple meals, but instead of griping or being PA I got the usual excellent service I tipped 50%)

4. We are in Texas - and while blue laws were largely struck down as unconstitutional one still stands You can't buy alcohol until 12 pm on Sundays. It was 11:40. I was in the express lane 3 guys behind me had cases of beer. Another man and his wife came up. The man said, "Since you can't check out till Noon, we'll go ahead.

Beer Guys - NO
Other man - but it only 11:40
Beer guys we are in line besides she can bend the rules
Clerk - To other man, your next after this lady (pointing to me) to beer guys I can't check you out till noon
Beer guys come on we are Dad's it's father's day and we want to get to the beach.
Clerk - No the register won't let me (Love tech)
Beer You are going to let us buy it now
Me - (In Teacher Voice) No you are not going to bully her to break the law, besides everyone and the dog knows TABC (law enforcement for these rules) has stores crawling with agents on holidays.
Manager - You gentlemen have two choices wait till noon or leave.
They stormed out - Manager followed me out to the parking lot. He was standing there watching the other couple get in their car while the beer guys were stomping around the lot still as I drove off. 
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

HoneyBee42

« Reply #27448 on: June 15, 2014, 05:13:39 PM »
4. We are in Texas - and while blue laws were largely struck down as unconstitutional one still stands You can't buy alcohol until 12 pm on Sundays. It was 11:40. I was in the express lane 3 guys behind me had cases of beer. Another man and his wife came up. The man said, "Since you can't check out till Noon, we'll go ahead.

Beer Guys - NO
Clerk - To other man, your next after this lady (pointing to me) to beer guys I can't check you out till noon
Beer guys come on we are Dad's it's father's day and we want to get to the beach.
Me - (In Teacher Voice) No you are not going to bully her to break the law, besides everyone and the dog knows TABC (law enforcement for these rules) has stores crawling with agents on holidays.
They stormed out - Manager followed me out to the parking lot. He was standing there watching the other couple get in their car while the beer guys were stomping around the lot still as I drove off.

You do really have to love technology there.  I used to work as a grocery cashier in NYS, and there was the same thing with the not before noon on Sunday, not before (I think--I didn't work morning hours) 8am other days, and not after 2am any other day of the week.  It wasn't like that when I started (so you'd have to watch the tape *very* carefully for the time as 2am approached with the gargantuan lines of people leaving the bars who "needed" to buy another 6- or 12-pack  (if the police had set up by the grocery, they probably could have nailed each and every one of them for drunk driving ... enough alcohol in their breath that I was starting to get buzzed at the register!).

Worst thing of all was the time change, when the time went back and they all thought "hey, another hour to buy booze" even though none of the bars stayed open under that theory.  At least the computer didn't fall back right then, so it was "sorry, the computer isn't set that way and won't let me make the sale".  Worst thing was that security left promptly at 2am which meant that I'd have to call back for the stock people who could be just about anywhere in the store for assistance with the unruly customers who wanted to buy alcohol after hours.

On the special snowflake front:  my parents live near the end (they're in the next to last house) on a long cul de sac (about a half mile from the main road--I have described the area where they live as being something like a reverse box canyon--a ridge with extremely steep sides).  At the end of the street are their neighbors who are friends with my parents and also really big entertainers (throwing big parties with dozens of guests).  So at a recent party, they had arranged for their guests to park in a lot up the road a piece and bring them down to their house via golf cart.  Most of the guests did go with this option, but there were still some who parked on the street.

Normally, the guests of the people in the house on the end are very thoughtful people who don't block driveways or otherwise park in a way that inconveniences the rest of the neighborhood.  Not one of the guests at the last party, though.  That guest parked squarely across my parents' driveway, blocking them in.  It just seems especially egregious in view of next door neighbor's deliberate efforts to alleviate the parking issue.

Joeschmo

« Reply #27449 on: June 15, 2014, 06:47:19 PM »
I'm staying home the rest of the day -

Went to my usual Sunday Breakfast place. It is in a strip center. I needed to go to the grocery store after I ate - so I parked closer to them, towards the back off to the side. I got out and started to walk over to the restaurant. Note this is a strip center all the stores share a parking lot.

1. Guy picking up carts Hey you can't park here and leave
Me - I'm going to breakfast place then coming back to shop
Him - You should park there then drive here
Me NO

2. SS Family I was sitting on a bench waiting for my table reading Changes (Dresden Files #12). This lady sat down next to me Her family formed a 1/2 circle  around us. The Hostess called out a name I looked up - SSFamily youngest daughter in a teenage scowl said are we bothering you. Next daughter No she just likes listening to other people's conversations. When my name was called I had to ask 2 times for them to let me by then had to brush by 2 of them because they wouldn't move.

3. SSwoman at next table - kept talking about how rude it was for someone to take up a whole table by themselves on a holiday. Sorry lady but I still get to eat. ($ to  donuts I tipped better than they did since it was a busy holiday and my waitress could have gotten a family with multiple meals, but instead of griping or being PA I got the usual excellent service I tipped 50%)

Beer Guys - NO
After reading here the last few years about the kind of people you encounter I have decided that 1. you are incredibly brave to leave your home and 2. I think I will do my best to avoid entering Texas under any circumstances.