Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5521298 times)

Bexx27

• Striving to meet the minimum requirements of social acceptability
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #27510 on: June 18, 2014, 02:21:11 PM »
I thought re-catching what you just got over was why you are supposed to change your toothbrush out after an illness?

That's a myth spread by the toothbrush companies.  :P After an illness you may be more susceptible to catching other viruses, and there are a zillion variations of the common cold, but you can't get the exact same one again because your body now has the antibodies to fight it.
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these. -George Washington Carver

TeamBhakta

« Reply #27511 on: June 18, 2014, 10:24:30 PM »
There was a candle light vigil for a *deceased teenager in my area. While his biological mother was on tv sobbing and saying
it helped that people showed up to honor him, I noticed three teenagers in the background holding candles. One of them smirked + nudged the others. Then they all started taking turns moving back and forth behind the mom, waving, making gestures & doing goofy faces at the camera.  >:(

*Child death warning:
http://www.wokv.com/news/news/local/jacksonville-teens-shooting-death-was-accidental-s/ngMkq/
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 10:32:14 PM by TeamBhakta »

Cuddlepie

« Reply #27512 on: June 18, 2014, 11:25:01 PM »
I thought re-catching what you just got over was why you are supposed to change your toothbrush out after an illness?

That's a myth spread by the toothbrush companies.  :P After an illness you may be more susceptible to catching other viruses, and there are a zillion variations of the common cold, but you can't get the exact same one again because your body now has the antibodies to fight it.

I understand why it may not be necessary for a new toothbrush after having a cold but still would renew after having a mouth/lip infection of some type or even tonsillitis.

doodlemor

« Reply #27513 on: June 18, 2014, 11:30:29 PM »

I understand why it may not be necessary for a new toothbrush after having a cold but still would renew after having a mouth/lip infection of some type or even tonsillitis.

I put our toothbrushes through the dishwasher every now and then, and haven't had any problems with them melting. 

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #27514 on: June 19, 2014, 03:02:47 AM »
Yesterday as we were driving down the road a car pulled out from where it was parked on the side of the road and the driver punched it.  What made it worse was that he was driving down the wrong side of the road while punching it and nearly took out our car, along with another couple of cars when he decided to actually get on his side of the road.

Due to my wife's stellar driving skill, we didn't get hit (but it was close).  He drove for a long side of a city block in the oncoming traffic lane while accelerating - with his phone up in front of his face cause he was busy texting. 

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #27515 on: June 19, 2014, 08:39:16 AM »
A driver this morning. Holding a regular home style coffee cup (no lid) and a piece of paper while driving down the middle lane and not doing a very good job of driving.

Celany

• the soul of a cat, in the body of a person...
« Reply #27516 on: June 19, 2014, 01:37:24 PM »
Is it being a special snowflake to go out to a movie when you're sick and coughing frequently?

I'm annoyed at several people who were coughing at a movie I saw recently. A few days afterward, I got a horrible sinus infection, which is rare for me.  So I don't think it's unreasonable to think I caught it from the strangers who decided to share their infections in a public space for two hours.

Note that I don't care if sick people shop for groceries or fly on airplanes. Some situations are not special snowflake worthy.  But going to a movie while sick enough to disrupt it and spread your germs... seems self-absorbed to me.  Thoughts?

Were there other obvious symptoms or just the cough? A cough isn't always from an illness.  I take a medication that causes a dry cough.  I have to make certain to have water or cough drops with me to stop it.  It's not predictable either.

I'm prone to getting asthmatic coughs after colds. It's more annoying (to me )than infectious.

I get a persistent cough after colds as well. I take care of it as best as I can, and I've been told repeatedly by physicians that it isn't (generally) infectious, but there's nothing I can do but suppress it until it goes away on its own.

I don't do it to irritate people. People seem to think that I should stay home till it goes away, anyway, but if I I did that I'd have to stay home for weeks at a time, and I don't think that's realistic.

Rob

A few weeks ago I was sneezing a lot at the Brooklyn Flea, and in addition to the stink-eye half-a-dozen people with kids gave me, one guy loudly remarked about how rude it is when people who are sick go out. So I loudly remarked that it was so rude when people assume that my allergies are a cold and are nasty towards me because of the sneezing. Then I stared him down.

I'm not sure if that makes me rude, but I don't take kindly to people trying to publicly shame me for a sickness that I don't even have.
I have studied many philosophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior. ~ Hippolyte Taine

rachellenore

« Reply #27517 on: June 19, 2014, 03:04:49 PM »
Is it being a special snowflake to go out to a movie when you're sick and coughing frequently?

I'm annoyed at several people who were coughing at a movie I saw recently. A few days afterward, I got a horrible sinus infection, which is rare for me.  So I don't think it's unreasonable to think I caught it from the strangers who decided to share their infections in a public space for two hours.

Note that I don't care if sick people shop for groceries or fly on airplanes. Some situations are not special snowflake worthy.  But going to a movie while sick enough to disrupt it and spread your germs... seems self-absorbed to me.  Thoughts?

Were there other obvious symptoms or just the cough? A cough isn't always from an illness.  I take a medication that causes a dry cough.  I have to make certain to have water or cough drops with me to stop it.  It's not predictable either.

I'm prone to getting asthmatic coughs after colds. It's more annoying (to me )than infectious.

I get a persistent cough after colds as well. I take care of it as best as I can, and I've been told repeatedly by physicians that it isn't (generally) infectious, but there's nothing I can do but suppress it until it goes away on its own.

I don't do it to irritate people. People seem to think that I should stay home till it goes away, anyway, but if I I did that I'd have to stay home for weeks at a time, and I don't think that's realistic.

Rob

A few weeks ago I was sneezing a lot at the Brooklyn Flea, and in addition to the stink-eye half-a-dozen people with kids gave me, one guy loudly remarked about how rude it is when people who are sick go out. So I loudly remarked that it was so rude when people assume that my allergies are a cold and are nasty towards me because of the sneezing. Then I stared him down.

I'm not sure if that makes me rude, but I don't take kindly to people trying to publicly shame me for a sickness that I don't even have.

I hate that. I never had anyone be quite so rude but I used to get those comments all the time before I had several sinus surgeries done.

AngelicGamer

« Reply #27518 on: June 19, 2014, 04:11:53 PM »
Well... never thought I was going to post in this thread but the noon 3D showing of Maleficent (which was PG?  how?) proved me wrong.

1) The parent with the kids who do not understand how to whisper and the parent who talked at normal volume too.  It took two shushs and a "could you please be quiet" before they were actually quiet.

2) The kids / teenagers who had to get up during the bathroom during the movie who pounded down the stairs.  Especially during a quiet part of the movie.  Ugh.

3) The people behind me who threw a wet nap near my popcorn (ew) and then threw popcorn that hit me.  Seriously?  At least that was the only thing that they did.

I'm going to give the theater another chance, because it was kind of a kids movie (the wings scene notwithstanding...), but we'll see.

"Life's tough, huh?  And then you die." ~ Buck, the Magnificent Seven.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27519 on: June 19, 2014, 04:15:32 PM »
It wasn't the kids that were the SS in my experience. I still can't believe the three adult women in front of me behaved that way.

Yarnspinner

« Reply #27520 on: June 19, 2014, 05:47:27 PM »
Don't know how SS this is or if it's just clueless....my brother and SIL are at it again.

I posted last year about how they didn't get a direct invitation to a cousin's wedding and instead of calling the cousin (who is, herself, a flake) they called ME instead to find out why they weren't invited.  I gave them cousin's phone number, her family's phone number and even called cousin's father myself to find out that, yes, they were invited.  But because they didn't receive the actual physical invite, their feelings were hurt and they wouldn't attend. 

The kicker to that?  The bride's uncles and their families didn't receive invites either.  None of them made a production number about being hurt, etc, etc,....(One of them said to me "We may get kicked out...we never were actually invited....")

So now, we come to my father who they think should live with me half the year in spite of them complaining when he isn't with THEM so he can run errands for them.....

My father lives with them.  My father told all of us he was going to stay with me June through the beginning of September.  I asked him every day when he was going to be visiting, had he booked a flight, etc....and he keeps making excuses, then he had one of his famous episodes where what he had was probably indigestion but he thought it was a heart attack, so that meant a stay in the hospital and follow ups with his doctors.  I ask every single night when he is flying and every single night he tells me about follow up doctor appointments and "when they are done" and so on....THAT is annoying enough....but....

My SIL, who lives in the same house with him, who sees him a couple of times a day, who has no problem asking him to run errands for her, to bring things to her at her job and so on....emails me to ask why he hasn't left to come up here yet.  I hope I wasn't too snowflake-y myself when I wrote back, said everything I said above and finished up with "It's a crazy idea but why don't you ask him?"

I'm planning on moving to where they are by summer of next year so I can "take over Dad"--he's going to live with me, period, and I will take him to and from the hospital if need be and then they can stop moaning about how much it costs to keep him  (when he's not there they moan about how much they miss the extra money)...when Dad passes away (which could be years from now), I plan on packing myself up and moving wherever I bloody well please.    I love these people, I really do, but their continued PA where other family members are concerned drives me nuts!

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27521 on: June 19, 2014, 06:28:55 PM »
That is just absurd!

Krism

« Reply #27522 on: June 19, 2014, 08:23:51 PM »
Yesterday as we were driving down the road a car pulled out from where it was parked on the side of the road and the driver punched it.  What made it worse was that he was driving down the wrong side of the road while punching it and nearly took out our car, along with another couple of cars when he decided to actually get on his side of the road.

Due to my wife's stellar driving skill, we didn't get hit (but it was close).  He drove for a long side of a city block in the oncoming traffic lane while accelerating - with his phone up in front of his face cause he was busy texting.

The first time I read this I thought it said the driver was literally punching his car and I was trying to figure out how he was punching his car, driving down the wrong side of the road, and texting, all at the same time.

Glad you guys are okay.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #27523 on: June 19, 2014, 08:33:43 PM »

The first time I read this I thought it said the driver was literally punching his car and I was trying to figure out how he was punching his car, driving down the wrong side of the road, and texting, all at the same time.

Glad you guys are okay.

I assumed there was literal punching going on, too  :P

(SIL1 was arrested last year for getting in a drunken fistfight with her boyfriend while driving.  Luckily, the officer didn't subscribe to a "the woman is always the victim" mentality, and she and her boyfriend both ended up safely in jail for a while.)