Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5762626 times)

Ginger G

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #27855 on: July 08, 2014, 02:24:58 PM »
Wow Celany, that is so ridiculous on both the candidate's and the Agency's part.  You definitely dodged a bullet hiring that person though!  I've actually had similiar experiences in scheduling interviews.  One lady showed up over an hour early while I was actually interviewing someone else, and then got snippy with the security guard when he told her she would have to wait.  I was able to get her in about 20 minutes early after I finished with the other candidate, but she definitely did not make it to the second round.

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #27856 on: July 08, 2014, 03:04:44 PM »
You can't win. This is a post I made on the Professional Darwinism thread about an early arrival who was upset because she was interviewed too soon.

We had an applicant complain about being interviewed too soon. She arrived early and the interviewee ahead of her was a no-show. The receptionist gave her a choice "would you like to interview now or would you prefer your original appointment?" She chose "now." I'm omitting details, but it was clear to the applicant that her declining to interview early would never be communicated to the people doing the hiring, so there was no pressure to be "cooperative."

Other applicants were better qualified and she was not chosen. Since this was a government job, she filed a formal complaint with the civil service commission, saying that employment counselors always suggest arriving early so you can take time to get yourself in the proper frame of mind before the interview. By interviewing her early, we didn't allow her to compose herself.

The complaint was denied.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #27857 on: July 08, 2014, 03:48:45 PM »
SS Job Interviewus & SS Agencyus

This is from a few years ago, but talking to a coworker today reminded me of it.

Receptionist comes to find me in a meeting. I had someone who I was going to interview show up 45 minutes early, while I was in the middle of another meeting. I told the receptionist to remind the interviewee that she was 45 minutes early, and that I'd get to her at the time we schedule (I also made a mental note to confirm with the agency that sent her to me what the interview time was, thinking that maybe they told her the wrong time, which wouldn't be her fault). Very annoying and unprofessional, but not yet really snowflakey.

Receptionist comes back 5 minutes later. Interviewee told him to tell me that, since she was already there, she'd really just like to interview now and "get it over with". Receptionist specifically tells me that that's how Interviewee worded it. I tell receptionist to tell Interviewee that I am in a meeting and I will be ready to interview her at our scheduled interview time. While I'm in my meeting, Interviewee leaves (Receptionist said she left in a huff not long after he delivered my message). So I go out to lunch, and figure I'll call the agency when I get back.

When I get back, I have a weird call from the agency. To make a long story short, Interviewee had called the agency when she left, said that I was very unprofessional and was going to keep her waiting for a ridiculous amount of time, so she left without interviewing, since she'd have felt uncomfortable working for me, knowing that I'm so unprofessional. I confirmed with the agency that she was supposed to interview at the time that I had. Agency wasn't apologetic about anything, and wanted to know if I had let Interviewee wait a ridiculous amount of time. To which I said something like "if me making her wait because she shows up 45 minutes early is ridiculous, then yes, it was ridiculous. Or her. To expect me to be ready to interview her 45 minutes early". Agency wanted to know why I couldn't just interview her then. Because I was in a meeting, which is why Interviewee was scheduled to come in at a certain time. Because people in companies have meetings.

After that, I told my boss that I wasn't going to be working with Agency any more, because being questioned as to why I couldn't interview someone 45 minutes early was just...not professional of them, to say the least. Also, the Agency woman had such an attitude for someone who was supposed to be hoping that I'd pick one of their people so they'd get their commission. Not worth dealing with.

Part of your problem there was your receptionist. Her being willing to go find you and carry messages helped send the impression that you were interruptible.

But yeah, I wouldn't be using that agency anymore either, and I'd be glad to have dodged a bullet on the interviewee!

Celany

• the soul of a cat, in the body of a person...
« Reply #27858 on: July 08, 2014, 04:58:56 PM »

This is from a few years ago, but talking to a coworker today reminded me of it.

Receptionist comes to find me in a meeting. I had someone who I was going to interview show up 45 minutes early, while I was in the middle of another meeting. I told the receptionist to remind the interviewee that she was 45 minutes early, and that I'd get to her at the time we schedule (I also made a mental note to confirm with the agency that sent her to me what the interview time was, thinking that maybe they told her the wrong time, which wouldn't be her fault). Very annoying and unprofessional, but not yet really snowflakey.

Receptionist comes back 5 minutes later. Interviewee told him to tell me that, since she was already there, she'd really just like to interview now and "get it over with". Receptionist specifically tells me that that's how Interviewee worded it. I tell receptionist to tell Interviewee that I am in a meeting and I will be ready to interview her at our scheduled interview time. While I'm in my meeting, Interviewee leaves (Receptionist said she left in a huff not long after he delivered my message). So I go out to lunch, and figure I'll call the agency when I get back.

When I get back, I have a weird call from the agency. To make a long story short, Interviewee had called the agency when she left, said that I was very unprofessional and was going to keep her waiting for a ridiculous amount of time, so she left without interviewing, since she'd have felt uncomfortable working for me, knowing that I'm so unprofessional. I confirmed with the agency that she was supposed to interview at the time that I had. Agency wasn't apologetic about anything, and wanted to know if I had let Interviewee wait a ridiculous amount of time. To which I said something like "if me making her wait because she shows up 45 minutes early is ridiculous, then yes, it was ridiculous. Or her. To expect me to be ready to interview her 45 minutes early". Agency wanted to know why I couldn't just interview her then. Because I was in a meeting, which is why Interviewee was scheduled to come in at a certain time. Because people in companies have meetings.

After that, I told my boss that I wasn't going to be working with Agency any more, because being questioned as to why I couldn't interview someone 45 minutes early was just...not professional of them, to say the least. Also, the Agency woman had such an attitude for someone who was supposed to be hoping that I'd pick one of their people so they'd get their commission. Not worth dealing with.

Part of your problem there was your receptionist. Her being willing to go find you and carry messages helped send the impression that you were interruptible.

But yeah, I wouldn't be using that agency anymore either, and I'd be glad to have dodged a bullet on the interviewee!

I wasn't particular upset by him because her attitude communicated to him that she was an important person & he doesn't have access to my schedule, so he wouldn't know if this was something to interrupt me for, like an important vendor coming early (I do sometimes see people who I should pretty much drop everything to meet with, and she conveyed that she was one of those people...which I'm sure she is in her own head). I kinda wish reception did have access to our calendars, because then they would be able to see when we should be found & when someone can wait.

When I'm interviewed, I'm a fan of the "arrive in the area 20 mins early, then aim to arrive at the receptionist 5 mins early" mindset. Then I have time to compose myself downstairs, & I'm ready to rock & roll by the time I hit reception.
I have studied many philosophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior. ~ Hippolyte Taine

Carotte

« Reply #27859 on: July 08, 2014, 05:10:49 PM »
You can't win. This is a post I made on the Professional Darwinism thread about an early arrival who was upset because she was interviewed too soon.

We had an applicant complain about being interviewed too soon. She arrived early and the interviewee ahead of her was a no-show. The receptionist gave her a choice "would you like to interview now or would you prefer your original appointment?" She chose "now." I'm omitting details, but it was clear to the applicant that her declining to interview early would never be communicated to the people doing the hiring, so there was no pressure to be "cooperative."

Other applicants were better qualified and she was not chosen. Since this was a government job, she filed a formal complaint with the civil service commission, saying that employment counselors always suggest arriving early so you can take time to get yourself in the proper frame of mind before the interview. By interviewing her early, we didn't allow her to compose herself.

I always aim for 5 minutes before, not more, I don't want to make my interviewver rush things if they are told I'm here early and I figure 5 minutes is perfect to account for a clock running fast or late on theirs or my part, for a secretary to find to relevant person, for me to be told where to go...
But I also aim to be near the building 5 minutes before those 5 minutes so that I can regain composture/breath  :P

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #27860 on: July 08, 2014, 08:47:36 PM »

My mind is blown!   I was prepared for the agency to be horrified and apologetic, the fact that they thought her behaviour was ok explains so much.  Clearly they know nothing about recruitment or business etiquette, which probably means they also know nothing about screening applicants properly and hence let that SS through the screening process.

Out of curiousity, what level was the position?   Are we talking a jnr admin role or a manager? 
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

nayberry

« Reply #27861 on: July 09, 2014, 08:44:04 AM »

I always aim for 5 minutes before, not more, I don't want to make my interviewver rush things if they are told I'm here early and I figure 5 minutes is perfect to account for a clock running fast or late on theirs or my part, for a secretary to find to relevant person, for me to be told where to go...
But I also aim to be near the building 5 minutes before those 5 minutes so that I can regain composture/breath  :P.

i go for ten minutes early but with asking the receptionist where the bathroom is it ends up being 5 (nerves are a curse!)

Shalamar

« Reply #27862 on: July 09, 2014, 11:20:50 AM »
nayberry, I was going to make a similar comment!  I have IBS, and nervousness aggravates it.  Know what's nerve-wracking?  Job interviews.  :)  Trouble is, one time when I arrived early so that I could use the bathroom before the interview, I couldn't find the darned thing - and there was no-one around to ask.   Or so I thought.  Unbeknownst to me, the person who was going to interview me saw me wandering helplessly up and down the halls for five minutes.   When I finally gave up in despair and went for my interview, she said "What on earth were you doing?"  I was too embarrassed to say that I was looking for the bathroom.  You'll be shocked to know that I didn't get that job!

goldilocks

« Reply #27863 on: July 09, 2014, 11:47:03 AM »
the agency I work with always meet the candidate at my office in the lobby and bring them to me, then leave and call me later.   If someone showed up early, I might try to accomodate them (IF I could) , but it would probably be a mark against them.

BarensMom

« Reply #27864 on: July 09, 2014, 01:01:44 PM »
Yesterday, I went to JoAnn's Fabrics to purchase a gray Sharpie.   When I got to the registers, I met the ultimate SS customer.  This woman waited until the cashier rang up the items and told her the price before she pulled out her wallet and fumbled around for her money.  She gave the cashier the cash, which wasn't enough.  She then put her money back and pulled out 3(!) different cards and told the cashier that she wanted $10 on one debit, $10 on the second, and the remainder on the third.  The cashier took the first card, swiped it, then asked the woman to put in her PIN.  The woman scooted to the PIN pad, fumbled around and messed it up, so the cashier had to ask her to re-input, upon which the whole amount was debited to the first card.  Well, this woman started yelling at the poor cashier, who called a manager to the front to straighten it out, and asked the woman to move to the main register to wait for the manager.  The woman refused to budge, so the cashier had to walk away to another register to help the rest of us (by this time, there was a long line of people).  Until the manager arrived (about 2 minutes), the woman was yelling to everyone entering the store or walking near the registers "are you the manager?"  By the time my transaction was complete (I had one item), the manager was working with the woman, who was loudly badmouthing the poor cashier.  I asked the cashier if she wanted me to call the store manager to back her up, but she said the woman was a known problem customer, who pulled these antics to get a discount from the manager.

gmatoy

« Reply #27865 on: July 09, 2014, 01:57:28 PM »
Yesterday, I went to JoAnn's Fabrics to purchase a gray Sharpie.   When I got to the registers, I met the ultimate SS customer.  This woman waited until the cashier rang up the items and told her the price before she pulled out her wallet and fumbled around for her money.  She gave the cashier the cash, which wasn't enough.  She then put her money back and pulled out 3(!) different cards and told the cashier that she wanted $10 on one debit, $10 on the second, and the remainder on the third.  The cashier took the first card, swiped it, then asked the woman to put in her PIN.  The woman scooted to the PIN pad, fumbled around and messed it up, so the cashier had to ask her to re-input, upon which the whole amount was debited to the first card.  Well, this woman started yelling at the poor cashier, who called a manager to the front to straighten it out, and asked the woman to move to the main register to wait for the manager.  The woman refused to budge, so the cashier had to walk away to another register to help the rest of us (by this time, there was a long line of people).  Until the manager arrived (about 2 minutes), the woman was yelling to everyone entering the store or walking near the registers "are you the manager?"  By the time my transaction was complete (I had one item), the manager was working with the woman, who was loudly badmouthing the poor cashier.  I asked the cashier if she wanted me to call the store manager to back her up, but she said the woman was a known problem customer, who pulled these antics to get a discount from the manager.

I think that giving her a discount is encouraging this behavior...and should immediately be stopped!

nuit93

« Reply #27866 on: July 09, 2014, 02:01:45 PM »
I agree--she sounds like she might be more of a problem customer than she's worth.  Some stores will ban a customer who continually abuses their employees (and I wish more would!).

otterwoman

« Reply #27867 on: July 09, 2014, 02:13:10 PM »

I think that giving her a discount is encouraging this behavior...and should immediately be stopped!

As a former retail store manager, I have thrown people out and told them never to come back, complete with threats to have them arrested for trespassing if they did. I didn't put up with that behavior.

eltf177

« Reply #27868 on: July 09, 2014, 02:53:19 PM »
I agree--she sounds like she might be more of a problem customer than she's worth.  Some stores will ban a customer who continually abuses their employees (and I wish more would!).

Agreed, if she's known for pulling this stunt frequently then a perma-ban is definitely in order!