Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5553727 times)

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #27871 on: July 09, 2014, 06:54:50 PM »
I was going to say, why not call a tow truck themselves, but I realize things may be different in Australia.  Can you not just call a tow truck yourself in Australia?  Do the police have to be the ones who call?

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #27872 on: July 09, 2014, 07:28:43 PM »
Is it possible to call a tow truck and have it billed to the owner of the car?

I used to live very close to a high school, and at least half a dozen times in the first year my roommate and I had to have cars towed that were blocking our driveway.  One person got very upset - he was the son of a friend of my roommate's, and he came back just as his car was being towed from our driveway where he'd parked right behind our car.  He claimed he'd just gone to get some money from his mother, who was playing Bingo at the school.  However...(1) he hadn't asked permission to park in our driveway, (2) we didn't know it was his car, and (3) I needed to go to work.

Mary Lennox

« Reply #27873 on: July 09, 2014, 08:14:52 PM »
...told the cashier that she wanted $10 on one debit, $10 on the second, and the remainder on the third.  The cashier took the first card, swiped it, then asked the woman to put in her PIN.  The woman scooted to the PIN pad, fumbled around and messed it up, so the cashier had to ask her to re-input, upon which the whole amount was debited to the first card...

I'm not excusing her bad behaviour, but if I ask for $10 on one card and you take $50, then, yes I would be mad and I would expect you to fix it.

HoneyBee42

« Reply #27874 on: July 10, 2014, 12:42:55 AM »
This SS who parked across a driveway.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/questnews/east/hawthorne-family-trapped-by-parked-car-for-28-hours-call-for-uniform-towing-of-cars-in-driveways/story-fni9r0lo-1226983165096

What's astonishing to me is that they (police) would only authorize a tow if it were an "emergency" and wouldn't tow because it's too expensive!   I wouldn't care how expensive it was for the person who had deliberately blocked my driveway--it'd be a good lesson not to do that again.  Anyone who had earned a drivers' license should be aware that they should not block driveways.  I realize street parking can be annoying. I used to live in a city with alternate side parking--in other words, on even numbered days, you had to park on the side with the even numbered houses; odd numbered days, odd-numbered house side--on this particular block one side (odd side) had no driveways at all and the even side literally had five fewer spaces for cars because of the number of driveways--still, no one ever blocked driveways, because you *would* be towed and have to pay the cost of the tow, the impound fees, and also have an expensive parking ticket to pay.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #27875 on: July 10, 2014, 01:18:27 AM »

http://www.couriermail.com.au/questnews/east/hawthorne-family-trapped-by-parked-car-for-28-hours-call-for-uniform-towing-of-cars-in-driveways/story-fni9r0lo-1226983165096

What's astonishing to me is that they (police) would only authorize a tow if it were an "emergency" and wouldn't tow because it's too expensive!   I wouldn't care how expensive it was for the person who had deliberately blocked my driveway--it'd be a good lesson not to do that again.  Anyone who had earned a drivers' license should be aware that they should not block driveways.  I realize street parking can be annoying. I used to live in a city with alternate side parking--in other words, on even numbered days, you had to park on the side with the even numbered houses; odd numbered days, odd-numbered house side--on this particular block one side (odd side) had no driveways at all and the even side literally had five fewer spaces for cars because of the number of driveways--still, no one ever blocked driveways, because you *would* be towed and have to pay the cost of the tow, the impound fees, and also have an expensive parking ticket to pay.
I thought that was strange too. The fee for towing is part of the penalty for parking illegally in my mind.  My driveway was blocked by a drunk driver hitting the light pole and it falling across my driveway. The police and fire fighters told me not to worry about it because they had to make sure my driveway was unobstructed before they left. They moved it to the side yard and it took a month of me and my neighbor calling the company to get it removed and fixed.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #27876 on: July 10, 2014, 02:39:26 AM »
A special snowflake customer at a local restaurant today.

My wife and I were in line behind a man at a local seafood place.  He ordered a 10 piece fish and chips, the cashier called back his order, and then a couple of drinks then when the cashier told him his total he just walked away from the counter and went over to the condiment counter for a couple minutes then came back and paid for his food.  Then he left the counter and went into the bathroom.

So his food has already been started since it was called back.  My wife and I order our food and as she is paying for it the man comes out of the bathroom, goes behind the counter and tells the cashier "that 10 piece was cajun."  So now they have to dump a 10 pieve order and start a new one.

We get our cups and go over to the drink machine and while we are getting our drinks he comes up behind us to hurry us along since we are in his way and he needs his drinks right now...

BarensMom

« Reply #27877 on: July 10, 2014, 03:53:29 AM »
...told the cashier that she wanted $10 on one debit, $10 on the second, and the remainder on the third.  The cashier took the first card, swiped it, then asked the woman to put in her PIN.  The woman scooted to the PIN pad, fumbled around and messed it up, so the cashier had to ask her to re-input, upon which the whole amount was debited to the first card...

I'm not excusing her bad behaviour, but if I ask for $10 on one card and you take $50, then, yes I would be mad and I would expect you to fix it.

What happened was the cashier had entered $10 as the amount on the first card, but because the woman didn't listen to the cashier's directions on how to use the PIN pad, she messed up the transaction, so when she entered the PIN again, it took the whole amount instead of the $10.

MrTango

« Reply #27878 on: July 10, 2014, 09:23:22 AM »
I'm of the opinion that breaking a single transaction up into more than two forms of payment is a bit snowflakey.  Sure, having some cash and the rest on a single card is fine, but when you start saying X on this card, Y on that card, and Z on this other card, I think that's asking more from the cashier than is reasonable and if there is anyone in line behind you, you're delaying them from making their purchases.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27879 on: July 10, 2014, 09:56:39 AM »
I'm of the opinion that breaking a single transaction up into more than two forms of payment is a bit snowflakey.  Sure, having some cash and the rest on a single card is fine, but when you start saying X on this card, Y on that card, and Z on this other card, I think that's asking more from the cashier than is reasonable and if there is anyone in line behind you, you're delaying them from making their purchases.

I agree. I will pay some cash, some credit, but I watch my total as it rings up, pull out the amount of cash I want to pay, and have my card ready, so it takes literally a second or two more, than if i paid cash or by card for the entire purchase. But I've never done this much on one card, that much on another, and so on.

Kariachi

« Reply #27880 on: July 10, 2014, 09:58:13 AM »

Being mad? Okay
Expecting them to fix it? Okay
Harassing passersby while waiting for the person who can fix it?- Not okay
Then throwing a hissy fit about how horrible they are while it's being fixed? It would probably be for the best if you shopped elsewhere from now on
"Heh. Forgive our manners, little creature that we may well kill and eat you is no excuse for rudeness."

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27881 on: July 10, 2014, 10:07:21 AM »

I'd have called over a bunch of buddies and picked the car up and moved it.  Perhaps to the middle of the road so the police would have to call a tow truck.  >:(
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Kariachi

« Reply #27882 on: July 10, 2014, 10:27:09 AM »
Alright, just remembered one that not only explains why my Grandmother got the cut direct, but also why I'm surprised the rest of the family seems to want to keep her given she's like this with all of us.

When I was little, my family would take a month out of the summer and drive up to stay with family, splitting the time between my mom's and dad's relatives with a strong preference for my dad's for reason that will soon become apparent. Well, the summer I turned seven, the idea was that my dad would drop us girls at my mom's parents' place, go on to his family's farm (it was still functional in those days and they needed the help, everyone was either too young or too old), then come back and grab us at the end of the week, bring us up.

We get there and my grandmother has made Plans. The next day we're going to all go shopping and have lunch at a restaurant and then more shopping and then go out to dinner. Great fun, Girls' Day Out while my grandpa's working. All will be wonderful.

Next morning, she wakes my mother up at around 5, tells her to get us girls up and fed and moving. She's just going to go to the stables her horses are boarded at and make sure they're fed and let out and such, then she'll come back and we'll all go have fun. So mom gets us up (6yo and 4yo at the time), gets us fed, and we wait. And wait. And wait.

She was supposed to be back hours ago. There aren't cellphones in the family yet so we can't call her, we don't have a number for the stables, Grandpa's at work and we don't have a number. My mother gets to spend her day stuck in a house with two small children who were expecting to get to go and spend time with their grandma, wondering where her mother is.

Grandma waltzes in at around 4, happy as a clam. Says she met some of her friends while she was at the stables and decided to join them on their trail ride. After all, we could entertain ourselves, right?  :o

At around six my great-aunt and her BIL showed up and took us up to the family farm.

My grandma still doesn't understand why we left early, or why my mom was and is mad.
"Heh. Forgive our manners, little creature that we may well kill and eat you is no excuse for rudeness."

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #27883 on: July 10, 2014, 10:40:38 AM »

Those guys have it all screwed up!

Of course you tow, because then you fine the offender so much money that you make a *profit* on the towing. NYC has its own towing department, but cities on Long Island simply call authorize a towing company to tow anyone who is breaking a law, and you have to pay that company's fee (which provides them a profit) before you can get your car back. I'm sure there's some sort of authorizing bureaucracy to keep them from just towing everybody (maybe they need a civilian to file a complaint or something)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #27884 on: July 10, 2014, 11:02:18 AM »
Thank the universe for "normal" relatives - although we did tend to make somewhat shorter trips to maternal family than paternal family - as a kid, I thought it was because Grandma couldn't cook a meal and *serve* it while it was still hot (she was always "holding" it for someone who was late - whether they went out to get more milk or were supposed to join us for their lunch hour due to working "nearby").  This was the 1960s and early 1970s, so carrying a communication device such as a cell phone was a science fiction concept, not *real life*. 

Later, I found out it was because his parents accepted the spouse & kids - her parents had never *accepted* him as a member of the family.  They preferred to be called Mr. & Mrs. instead of Dad & Mom Last Name (his family usage for in-laws - or even just Dad & Mom after a few years).  They didn't even call him by name most of the time when talking to him...that I do remember.

Oddly, I remember maternal grandmother mentioning that *her* MIL had never accepted her, even after four children and forty years of marriage.  Which explained a lot about how seldom *we* saw the great-grandparents...Great-Grandpa loved & accepted all his childrens' spouses, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren - but Great-Grandma favored her daughter's family.  I don't remember running into the great-uncle's family very much - but there weren't that many events that were held at their remote farm...it did have indoor plumbing...including a large well on the back porch...which was no longer in use, but fascinated the great-grandkids (my generation). 

My grandparents retired to it in their early to mid sixties, eight or nine years after his father passed and about three years after his mother passed - Grandma apparently took some satisfaction, possibly even glee, in helping demolish the old house (it wasn't safe, it wasn't insulated, it had had electrical & plumbing added a decade or more after being built, and the county was moving the road so the house was going to have to come down or be moved - one way or the other).  Grandpa remembered helping build it as a kid (probably more hauling water, bringing tools & nails, and holding boards in place than heavy labor - but he was a farm kid, so his definition of "heavy labor" might have been very different than his "city kid" granddaughter's).
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 11:04:48 AM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?