Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5770382 times)

Shalamar

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #27885 on: July 10, 2014, 11:15:39 AM »
My grandma still doesn't understand why we left early, or why my mom was and is mad.

I have a (sort of) similar story!  Back when our girls were small (about 8 and 6), my MIL said she'd take them for a week in the summer.   The idea was that they'd stay in her house in Brandon, Manitoba (a town that's approximately 2.5 hours from Winnipeg) from Sunday evening to Friday evening.  My husband and I were delighted - it would give us a bit of a break, the girls would get to spend time with their grandparents.  Win-win.

On Wednesday morning, MIL called my husband to say that FIL had to attend a meeting in Portage La Prairie that evening (P la P is about midway between Winnipeg and Brandon).  "So, we're going to bring the girls with us, and you can meet us in Portage la Prairie and take them home."  Stunned, my husband said "But - I thought you were going to have them with you until Friday?"  She said airily "Oh, I know.  But this just makes too much sense."   

Never mind that we'd made plans to go out to a movie that night.  This was convenient for her, and that trumped everything else.   Our girls were somewhat bewildered that they'd been brought home early.  And MIL wonders why they don't like spending time with her.

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #27886 on: July 10, 2014, 01:20:02 PM »

My grandma still doesn't understand why we left early, or why my mom was and is mad.

My mother is very much like that. Thank diety that I'm an adult now and can leave if I want. And yes, she will complain that some people are sooo unreasonable and grumpy because they won't wait for her anymore. ::) :P
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #27887 on: July 10, 2014, 02:40:01 PM »
Chiming in on the tow issue...

I live in Chicago and we have a driveway.  People are forever parking in front of it (in spite of the very obvious apron and signs instructing drivers to not block the driveway.   ::))

Oftentimes, if the hazard lights are blinking, we don't make to much of a fuss as we assume the driver is leaving their car for a short time.  But there have been two occasions where the car was parked there for hours and we couldn't get the cops to come out to issue a ticket, much less order a tow.*  My FIL missed an important doctor appointment the first time and I was late for an event on the other occasion.  In our area, unless a spot is specifically marked as a tow zone, the truck won't come without a police order.  We were able to get a sign for the parking on our property since people thought our property was a parking lot ( ::)  ::)      ::))  But I think only the city can label something a tow zone on the street.

*Granted I live in a rather exciting neighborhood and it might have been busy but it was very frustrating.  We pled medical necessity the first time but since it was just a check up and not an emergency, they told us they'd get there when they had someone available.  No one ever came, at least not while the cars were there.  I'm afraid my MIL and husband had a few words for the drivers when they finally emerged.

Mediancat

• Shibboleth of Shadowland
« Reply #27888 on: July 11, 2014, 08:53:28 AM »
Yeah, hazard lights are a different story -- a lot of the time the person with the hazard lights has to take the first available spot regardless of most other considerations.

Rob
"In all of mankind's history, there has never been more damage done than by someone who 'thought they were doing the right thing'." -- Lucy, Peanuts

Free Range Hippy Chick

« Reply #27889 on: July 11, 2014, 09:16:30 AM »
My parents' house was half way down a street that had a large church on the corner, without much by way of on-site parking, so Sunday morning had every available stretch of kerb parked on. The streets were narrow, so getting a car out of a drive when there were so many cars opposite wasn't easy, and there was a tendency for people to park part way across the drive, leaving a space wide enough for a car, but not enough space to turn into the road. My father went out every Sunday morning, half way through church service time. A couple of times he couldn't go because he couldn't get the car out; he left (polite) notes under the windscreen wipers, asking the drivers to remember that people needed to get their own cars out of their own drives, and to leave more space. The third time, he walked down to the church with a note of the registration number and made the usher at the door interrupt the service and require the driver to come immediately to move his car. I believe he had to do it more than once before the minister put a standard notice in the parish news about parking courteously.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #27890 on: July 11, 2014, 10:11:50 AM »
I'm nominating the people who stroll down the crowded rush-hour metro platform reading their phones or a paper instead of looking where they're going. I've gotten knocked into twice this week by them.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #27891 on: July 11, 2014, 11:14:33 AM »
The street my sister used to live on was built in the 1970s. I not sure when the sidewalks were put in. But you could not park an pickup or SUV in the drive without "blocking" the side walk, unless you parked with the front bumper kissing the garage door.

By blocking I mean the straight path across the driveway.  you could easily walk on the lower third of the drive around the rear of the cars. One of the neighbors was upset about having to walk around the car ends that she started calling the cops on people parking in their own driveways. The cops hands were tied and they issued tickets.

Which led to people parking on the street instead of their driveways. This turned made it impossible for 2 cars to pass each other on the street. Add to this the school district bus barn is located at the end of the street. So several times a day you had 20 or so school buses trying to get down the street. There was also UPS center on the freeway kind of in front of the neighborhood. Their drivers going east would come down Sis's street. There was also concern that a firetruck might not be able to get down the street.

Same woman would call in cars blocking the driveways. So people who could't park in their driveway, parked on the street, and got tickets for blocking their driveway they couldn't use.

One day sis had moved the SUV, so Mom could safely transfer into it from her wheelchair. The complaining neighbor ran over and started berating Sis for blocking the sidewalk, because someone in a wheelchair might need to get pass. She didn't seem to get that Mom also needed accommodations to get in the vehicle from her wheelchair.

Adding to the neighbors' frustration about this woman and her calls to the police was if they had been in one of the villages - they could easily gone to the council and solved the problem by changing the rules. But they were in this small pocket of Houston proper pretty much surrounded by Memorial/Spring Branch villages. (Still can't figure how she got HPD to respond so frequently to her complaints)

The woman moved a few years ago - and people use their driveways again. She told one of Sis's  friends she couldn't stand how unfriendly the street was - no-one would talk to her.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

lilfox

« Reply #27892 on: July 11, 2014, 02:41:41 PM »
I had someone park in my driveway while I was away for the night.  I was just moving into the place, a complex with both apartments and townhomes where everyone had numbered, dedicated parking spots or driveways.  I had a carload full of stuff and this car was blocking my (single car) driveway and garage. I had to park across the opening, partly because there was no other space available and partly to make sure the car's owners had to get ME to move.  Since I was new, I asked the neighbors on either side, no one claimed the car or recognized it.

So, 5 hours later I'd had enough and went to the apartment office.  They gave me the local tow company's name, I called, and the truck showed up.  After clarifying with the driver what car to tow and moving mine out of the way, he was preparing to do so.  Magically, the car's owner came sprinting across the roadway from a townhouse across the street!  I guess she had been watching and hoping I would just drive away so she could sneak off in her car.  She begged me to call off the tow driver and I told her it was now her issue.  She did manage to avoid getting towed, but if not that would have come with pretty steep tow and impound fees, all owed by the car's owner.

SS single driver in the HOV/carpool lane - it's not often I see the state patrol enforce this, but yesterday while the rest of us were sitting in stop and go traffic, we all got to see the patrol swing into action and take down the large pickup who had belatedly noticed the marked SUV and tried to merge back into the regular lanes.  That's a $283 fine, I believe.

hjaye

« Reply #27893 on: July 12, 2014, 01:06:35 PM »
SS single driver in the HOV/carpool lane - it's not often I see the state patrol enforce this, but yesterday while the rest of us were sitting in stop and go traffic, we all got to see the patrol swing into action and take down the large pickup who had belatedly noticed the marked SUV and tried to merge back into the regular lanes.  That's a $283 fine, I believe.

We have a lot of SS's that do that in the HOV lane I use whenever I meet the requirements.  Every now and then the Transit Police decide to do a major enforcement and set up a few patrol cars to pull over and ticket the offending vehicles.  However, our HOV lanes have walls, so once you're in, you can't get out.  The really bad thing is that the police set up their cars at the end of the lane where people are getting ready to exit.  At the entrance a few miles back, there is actually a lot of room for the police to set up, and pull over cars without impeding traffic too much.  At the end of the lane, once they pull over the cars, ,there is barely enough room for another car to get by. This creates a traffic jam practically all the way back to the HOV entrance.  The regular traffic ends up moving faster than the HOV lane

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27894 on: July 12, 2014, 01:52:47 PM »
I may have told this before. A friend of mine was stuck in traffic and angrily watched SS drivers deciding to drive on the shoulder/emergency lane. He had the last laugh when he finally reached the end to find a cop on the shoulder/emergency lane passing out tickets. He and the other drivers who stayed on the correct lanes refused to let any of the SS drivers edge their way back in.

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #27895 on: July 12, 2014, 01:57:51 PM »
The street my sister used to live on was built in the 1970s. I not sure when the sidewalks were put in. But you could not park an pickup or SUV in the drive without "blocking" the side walk, unless you parked with the front bumper kissing the garage door.

By blocking I mean the straight path across the driveway.  you could easily walk on the lower third of the drive around the rear of the cars. One of the neighbors was upset about having to walk around the car ends that she started calling the cops on people parking in their own driveways. The cops hands were tied and they issued tickets.

Which led to people parking on the street instead of their driveways. This turned made it impossible for 2 cars to pass each other on the street. Add to this the school district bus barn is located at the end of the street. So several times a day you had 20 or so school buses trying to get down the street. There was also UPS center on the freeway kind of in front of the neighborhood. Their drivers going east would come down Sis's street. There was also concern that a firetruck might not be able to get down the street.

Same woman would call in cars blocking the driveways. So people who could't park in their driveway, parked on the street, and got tickets for blocking their driveway they couldn't use.

One day sis had moved the SUV, so Mom could safely transfer into it from her wheelchair. The complaining neighbor ran over and started berating Sis for blocking the sidewalk, because someone in a wheelchair might need to get pass. She didn't seem to get that Mom also needed accommodations to get in the vehicle from her wheelchair.

Adding to the neighbors' frustration about this woman and her calls to the police was if they had been in one of the villages - they could easily gone to the council and solved the problem by changing the rules. But they were in this small pocket of Houston proper pretty much surrounded by Memorial/Spring Branch villages. (Still can't figure how she got HPD to respond so frequently to her complaints)

The woman moved a few years ago - and people use their driveways again. She told one of Sis's  friends she couldn't stand how unfriendly the street was - no-one would talk to her.

We had a neighbor kinda like that. (Her pet peeve was noise. I once had a coughing fit in my backyard and she called the police for a noise complaint. I was still on the nebulizer treatment when they arrived.)

She expressed to my aunt that the neighbors are so unfriendly. Auntie told her exactly why in a non-polite manner.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Sassycelticmoon
<a href="http://knitmeter.com/" title="Get Your Own KnitMeter">" border="0[/url]

Yarnspinner

« Reply #27896 on: July 12, 2014, 03:31:59 PM »
The shortest way to work is actually a twisty route through back streets that terminates in a one way street opening onto a main road.  There is a stop light at the end of the road and a stoplight for people coming around the bend (it's a blind curve and so the stoplight is a necessity).

So I came to a stop, the light turned green and I was half way out when another car shoots up the main road and right through the red light.  I hit the gas to get out of their way while they decided to make a right hand turn onto the one way street that was going in the direction I was going, popped a u-turn and drove back out on my bumper.

Then they hit the gas and sped past me.  At another red light.

argh.

Kiwichick

• Is anyone else hungry now?
« Reply #27897 on: July 12, 2014, 06:38:14 PM »
/snip

/snip

Sounds like your sister and the other ticket getting neighbours were the SS here.

judecat

« Reply #27898 on: July 12, 2014, 07:24:02 PM »
/snip

/snip

Sounds like your sister and the other ticket getting neighbours were the SS here.

I don't see how parking you car in your own driveway to your own house could be considered SS.   Where else are you supposed to park -- down the street and around the corner? 

alkira6

« Reply #27899 on: July 12, 2014, 07:25:31 PM »
/snip

/snip

I don't see how parking you car in your own driveway to your own house could be considered SS.   Where else are you supposed to park -- down the street and around the corner? 

In your garage?