Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5627764 times)

LadyDyani

• Freelance Editor
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #27960 on: July 15, 2014, 09:48:59 PM »
I've never seen a store receipt that differentiates between what you buy to place in a collection box at the store, and what you buy to take home. I mean, you can split the transactions, but even then the receipt doesn't say that the items in that order were donated to XYZ Charity.

That's a good point! 

I was thinking of something someone said up thread about some stores having prepackaged charity bags that you can purchase and leave at the appropriate place in the store and those would definitely (or should at least) be clearly stated as such on your receipt. 

If you are just purchasing items in the "I'll buy a loaf of bread, a bunch of bananas and three cans of fruit for my donation" mode, then I think you can simply separate those things out, get a second receipt for those items and then mark it when you get home as being what you donated to the Hungry Babies of Mycity, USA.  Again, unless the amounts you donate are outrageously overly generous to such an extent that they seem questionable, you are unlikely to be asked for proof but usually the receipts will be accepted as such -- or you can ask someone affiliated with the store to initial the receipt for you that you did actually donate those products to charity.

I just highlight the items on my receipt and make a note of the charity, no separate receipt needed.
English doesn't borrow from other languages, it follows them down dark alleys and beats them up and searches their pockets for loose grammar.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27961 on: July 15, 2014, 09:53:43 PM »
I've never seen a store receipt that differentiates between what you buy to place in a collection box at the store, and what you buy to take home. I mean, you can split the transactions, but even then the receipt doesn't say that the items in that order were donated to XYZ Charity.

That's a good point! 

I was thinking of something someone said up thread about some stores having prepackaged charity bags that you can purchase and leave at the appropriate place in the store and those would definitely (or should at least) be clearly stated as such on your receipt. 

If you are just purchasing items in the "I'll buy a loaf of bread, a bunch of bananas and three cans of fruit for my donation" mode, then I think you can simply separate those things out, get a second receipt for those items and then mark it when you get home as being what you donated to the Hungry Babies of Mycity, USA.  Again, unless the amounts you donate are outrageously overly generous to such an extent that they seem questionable, you are unlikely to be asked for proof but usually the receipts will be accepted as such -- or you can ask someone affiliated with the store to initial the receipt for you that you did actually donate those products to charity.

I just highlight the items on my receipt and make a note of the charity, no separate receipt needed.

That's what we usually do too.  Some charities themselves will give you a receipt at the time you hand over the stuff, but the grocery store type charity tables/bins usually don't seem to be manned.

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #27962 on: July 15, 2014, 11:18:10 PM »
In keeping with a recent theme apparently!  On the news here last night there was a story about how some kids treehouse got pulled down for safety reasons and how terrible that was.   The kid and mother were interviewed.   

Except.... it wasn't their land.   They were complaining publicly that the landowners had removed the treehouse, even though the landowners were still happy for them to ride their bikes through the paths.   The landowners were apparently worried about snakes, and also the tree climbing etc.   But even if they weren't - it's their freakin' land!  If the reason was "Because we don't want you to have fun" that still would have been acceptable because it's their land.    It blew my mind that the SSs thought it was reasonable to complain about that or get airtime for it.

I don't want to live in a litigious culture in terms of excessive safety worries, but at the same time people publicly whinging because somebody else won't let them use their land the way they want to is incredibly SS.  Very reminiscent of watching my toddler interact with his buddies actually... they're still learning about possessions and ownership.
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #27963 on: July 15, 2014, 11:42:25 PM »
In keeping with a recent theme apparently!  On the news here last night there was a story about how some kids treehouse got pulled down for safety reasons and how terrible that was.   The kid and mother were interviewed.   

Except.... it wasn't their land.   They were complaining publicly that the landowners had removed the treehouse, even though the landowners were still happy for them to ride their bikes through the paths.   The landowners were apparently worried about snakes, and also the tree climbing etc.   But even if they weren't - it's their freakin' land!  If the reason was "Because we don't want you to have fun" that still would have been acceptable because it's their land.    It blew my mind that the SSs thought it was reasonable to complain about that or get airtime for it.

I don't want to live in a litigious culture in terms of excessive safety worries, but at the same time people publicly whinging because somebody else won't let them use their land the way they want to is incredibly SS.  Very reminiscent of watching my toddler interact with his buddies actually... they're still learning about possessions and ownership.
They have relatives near my family's farm. Called the cops because the man who had a cattle lease on our land told them to stay off the land. That running around someone else's land during hunting season in camo was a bad idea. (Their story was Lewis threatened to shoot them)

One of the Dad kept arguing that we had abandoned the land because no one lived on it. We have owned it since sometime in the lat 50's and except for a couple of months in the early 80's no one has ever lived on it. But the taxes have been paid and it has been a hobby farm, cattle lease, and now a wildlife refuge.

There was some back and forth while the deputies got the whole story. Finally they told the "parents" keep your kids off other people's property. If they are tresspassing  and get shot - they will be the ones facing charges not the landowner. (Note we wouldn't deliberately shoot a simple trespasser -but after the incident with the bank robbers hiding out on our land we tend to be a little wary)

Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #27964 on: July 16, 2014, 10:22:35 AM »
I saw a guy on TV yesterday while watching one of those criminal clip shows where they show various people breaking the law in a dumb or a unusual manner. He seemed like a bit of a special snowflake to me. But I wasn't sure.

He got pulled over for doing like fifty five in a thirty five zone. So cop pulls him over. He tells the cop he doesn't have a licence so cop goes to go look it up in the system. Cop then finds out it had expired in 1969!! So the cop goes over and calmly asks the man why he hadn't renewed his licence in thirty three years.

The man's reasoning. He couldn't pass the vision test. So the man was driving legally blind for all that time. Holy cow. I am thinking he was a bit of a special snowflake for endangering people like that. You can not drive if you can't pass the vision test for safety reasons I am guessing. But  maybe the guy really needed his car and figured if he didn't get pull over it wouldn't matter. He did end up getting arrested.

i'm jsut rereading the thread for some entertainment, and saw this one,  i just watched the very same show yesterday :)

I think that guy is a huge SS. The fact that he's willing to put everyone else on the road at risk is really horrible.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27965 on: July 16, 2014, 05:01:19 PM »
I saw a guy on TV yesterday while watching one of those criminal clip shows where they show various people breaking the law in a dumb or a unusual manner. He seemed like a bit of a special snowflake to me. But I wasn't sure.

He got pulled over for doing like fifty five in a thirty five zone. So cop pulls him over. He tells the cop he doesn't have a licence so cop goes to go look it up in the system. Cop then finds out it had expired in 1969!! So the cop goes over and calmly asks the man why he hadn't renewed his licence in thirty three years.

The man's reasoning. He couldn't pass the vision test. So the man was driving legally blind for all that time. Holy cow. I am thinking he was a bit of a special snowflake for endangering people like that. You can not drive if you can't pass the vision test for safety reasons I am guessing. But  maybe the guy really needed his car and figured if he didn't get pull over it wouldn't matter. He did end up getting arrested.

i'm jsut rereading the thread for some entertainment, and saw this one,  i just watched the very same show yesterday :)

I think that guy is a huge SS. The fact that he's willing to put everyone else on the road at risk is really horrible.
There was a woman in my DD's town, some years back, who was legally blind.  She could still see some, but not enough to get a driver's license.  She had school-age kids.  And how did she get them to school, when she couldn't drive a car? Did they ride the school bus or walk?  Did they take other public transportation?  Did she call a cab?  Did she arrange for another parent to drive them?  No, none of these.  She bought a golf cart.   Cops ticketed her for driving a golf cart on a public highway.  And the Motor Vehicle Administration threw the ticket out, because she "can drive her golf cart along the side of the road under a 1979 state law that allows special vehicles for the handicapped to use the sidewalk area."
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Idlewildstudios

« Reply #27966 on: July 17, 2014, 11:17:43 PM »

They have relatives near my family's farm. Called the cops because the man who had a cattle lease on our land told them to stay off the land. That running around someone else's land during hunting season in camo was a bad idea. (Their story was Lewis threatened to shoot them)

One of the Dad kept arguing that we had abandoned the land because no one lived on it. We have owned it since sometime in the lat 50's and except for a couple of months in the early 80's no one has ever lived on it. But the taxes have been paid and it has been a hobby farm, cattle lease, and now a wildlife refuge.

There was some back and forth while the deputies got the whole story. Finally they told the "parents" keep your kids off other people's property. If they are tresspassing  and get shot - they will be the ones facing charges not the landowner. (Note we wouldn't deliberately shoot a simple trespasser -but after the incident with the bank robbers hiding out on our land we tend to be a little wary)

Sounds like some SS's in my area. A group was recently complaining on a FB forum about a guy who was shooting dogs.  Some of these SS had had their dogs shot at and others were outraged as well.

Turns out these people were just letting their dogs run and they all tended to run on this guy's property.  This property was multiple acres of wild land and  was used as a breeding and nesting area for cranes.  He had signs everywhere posting this, it was a protected breeding area.  The dogs were killing hatchlings so
after repeated failed attempts to get the owners to keep their dogs home he just started shooting.

The owners were outraged.  We live in Alaska, dogs should be allowed to roam free!!

No. We do have leash laws here, keep your darn dogs home.

perpetua

« Reply #27967 on: July 18, 2014, 04:19:46 AM »
Sounds like some SS's in my area. A group was recently complaining on a FB forum about a guy who was shooting dogs.  Some of these SS had had their dogs shot at and others were outraged as well.

Turns out these people were just letting their dogs run and they all tended to run on this guy's property.  This property was multiple acres of wild land and  was used as a breeding and nesting area for cranes.  He had signs everywhere posting this, it was a protected breeding area.  The dogs were killing hatchlings so
after repeated failed attempts to get the owners to keep their dogs home he just started shooting.

The owners were outraged.  We live in Alaska, dogs should be allowed to roam free!!

And that makes shooting animals OK?!

Obviously the owners are in the wrong to let them run all over the place, but good *grief*, that's no excuse for shooting them.

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #27968 on: July 18, 2014, 06:15:46 AM »

Obviously the owners are in the wrong to let them run all over the place, but good *grief*, that's no excuse for shooting them.

Speaking as someone with farmers for relatives... yes, yes it is. You put up fences, you warn people, and then if someone keeps letting their dog/s run loose and they come on your land and repeatedly kill your livestock (or, in this case, the protected species you are a guardian for), you deal with them.
"Set aphasia to stun!"

perpetua

« Reply #27969 on: July 18, 2014, 06:25:40 AM »

Speaking as someone with farmers for relatives... yes, yes it is. You put up fences, you warn people, and then if someone keeps letting their dog/s run loose and they come on your land and repeatedly kill your livestock (or, in this case, the protected species you are a guardian for), you deal with them.

We will have to agree to differ then, Mel. I will never believe this is OK; it's no different to what the dogs are doing that he's complaining about (killing things; except the dogs are doing it through nature, he's not, he's just shooting animals). You don't just shoot things willy-nilly because they're costing you money or whatever; being a farmer is no excuse - that just makes it financial, which is even worse in my view. Shooting animals is a terrible thing to do and I struggle to understand why anyone thinks it's OK. Where does it end? I'll shoot the cat who comes into my garden because I don't like cats? No, just no.

*disclaimer: I come from a culture where guns are not allowed and shooting in general is something people tend to find absolutely horrifying, which may be colouring my view, but I am literally absolutely horrified at the post that started this conversation.

figee

« Reply #27970 on: July 18, 2014, 06:34:57 AM »
I own dogs. I've also seen the damage and trauma caused by dogs running loose and hunting and killing other animals. If you've ever seen a lamb or sheep mauled by dogs, or the damage caused to shores being sent through a fence by loose dogs, shooting the dogs after repeated warnings is reasonable. If you own dogs, or any animal, you control them. And it is SS to suggest that landowners have no right to protect their animals from predators.

Loose dogs are a menace.

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #27971 on: July 18, 2014, 06:39:49 AM »

We will have to agree to differ then, Mel. I will never believe this is OK; it's no different to what the dogs are doing that he's complaining about (killing things; except the dogs are doing it through nature, he's not, he's just shooting animals). You don't just shoot things willy-nilly because they're costing you money or whatever; being a farmer is no excuse - that just makes it financial, which is even worse in my view. Shooting animals is a terrible thing to do and I struggle to understand why anyone thinks it's OK. Where does it end? I'll shoot the cat who comes into my garden because I don't like cats? No, just no.

*disclaimer: I come from a culture where guns are not allowed and shooting in general is something people tend to find absolutely horrifying, which may be colouring my view, but I am literally absolutely horrified at the post that started this conversation.

What else would you have the farmer do? Assuming neither signs, warnings or fences work.

*I'm from a similar culture to yours, but I'm assuming he took to shooting as a last resort, rather than his first choice.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

perpetua

« Reply #27972 on: July 18, 2014, 06:40:50 AM »
Then put up fences or barriers to predators getting in. If you (general) own animals and predators are getting to them, the problem is insufficient defences. You frequently hear over here of people who own chickens getting their chickens killed by foxes. So they build a better chicken coop so that the foxes can't get in. Why wasn't the original guy doing this before shooting dogs? There is no mention in that original post of a fence around the land, breeding area, whatever you want to call it. If dogs are getting in, the landowner has not sufficiently protected his property and that's down to him.

I am backing away from this, because I can not believe that there are people who think shooting animals for a bottom line is OK.

perpetua

« Reply #27973 on: July 18, 2014, 06:41:43 AM »

What else would you have the farmer do? Assuming neither signs, warnings or fences work.

*I'm from a similar culture to yours, but I'm assuming he took to shooting as a last resort, rather than his first choice.

All it says in that post is that he posted signs. Dogs can't read. He needs to put up fences, not shoot the dogs. If he went from putting up signs to shooting, then he's *very* wrong.

hermanne

• Visualize whorled peas...
« Reply #27974 on: July 18, 2014, 06:54:38 AM »
Careful, please. I don't want to see this tread locked.
Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!