Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5741892 times)

Margo

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #27990 on: July 18, 2014, 03:02:15 PM »
Not sure if it 100% SS but I think that it was slightly unnecessary of the police officers who were seizing someone's car outside our office yesterday to park it in the only disabled bay while they waited for the tow truck. And then to park their own car across the 'keep clear' signage blocking access to our car park. (there is a large, and at the time, half empty car park just opposite, and there was also a parking space just behind where they stopped, which would not have blocked anyone in)

I think at the point you pull someone over, you stop anywhere that is safe, but one you are at the waiting for the tow-truck and filling in forms part, you could move your car so you are *not* blocking access or breaking the rules yourself...

Idlewildstudios

« Reply #27991 on: July 18, 2014, 03:03:06 PM »
I told my DH that the demo guys just needed a BBQ grill and a few supplies to keep the SS happy :). And make a few $$

cass2591

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27992 on: July 18, 2014, 03:37:08 PM »
Please move on from the topic of shooting dogs and various gun cultures.

There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened. ~ Mark Twain

Adopting a pet won't change the world, but it will change the world for that pet.

Adelaide

« Reply #27993 on: July 18, 2014, 03:39:19 PM »
The other day I scheduled a taxi to take me to the airport at 9:15. I got a call from the driver around 8:55, saying he was there. I said "Thank you, I'll be out in a few minutes" and hung up. I got another call from the taxi company, and the girl greeted me with "Are you getting in your taxi?" I replied with "I ordered a taxi for 9:15 and it's very early." She sighed into the receiver and said "He's already there. Do you still want the taxi?" to which I said "Yes. At 9:15. When I scheduled it." The girl hung up without saying anything. I won't be using that company again.  ::) I've had something similar happen once before.

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #27994 on: July 18, 2014, 03:41:15 PM »
Removed. Sorry for any trouble. :)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 10:41:11 PM by Kimblee »
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Sassycelticmoon
<a href="http://knitmeter.com/" title="Get Your Own KnitMeter">" border="0[/url]

Yarnspinner

« Reply #27995 on: July 18, 2014, 03:42:03 PM »
Special Snowflake Uses His Power of Mental Challenge to Play on Sympathies of Library Staff.

Library Staff has Stopped Buying.

We'll call him Mortimer.  Mortimer likes to do things that are prohibited or, if they are not actually prohibited by library policy, they still come down on the side of inappropriate behavior.

For example:  Mortimer has a mini video recorder.  He will get time on our computer and video whatever he is watching.  Problem:  he will then "accidentally" start video recording someone else's screen, or someone else's face and so forth.  Not that long ago, a young woman came into the library to do some work on the computers.  It is no exaggeration to say that this young woman is the sort for whom the word "exquisite" was coined.  She was breathtakingly lovely.

She asked me for help in printing.  We were struggling to find what we needed when she gasped "He's taping us!"

I turned around and there stood Mortimer, with a book in front of his face and camera aimed straight at her face.  I told him to put the camera away now.  He argued that he was just reading the book.  I told him I could SEE the camera (which he still had trained on her) and he said "I am recording pictures of the book" (still recording the girl)  I told him to put the camera away or he was going to lose it.  (I cannot actually touch patrons, but I can recommend that someone might.)  He finally put the camera away, but then wasted the rest of my evening very politely (always with a smile) arguing that it was okay for him to record things and that "all the other libraries in the area let him do that"  (yeah.  Apparently when the librarians at other libraries say "no" he thinks it means "yes".  I know this because I talked to librarians at other facilities.  They tell me he says WE let him record whatever he wants.)

Another time he needed to pay one dollar (one dollar--one) to bring his fine down enough to take out more DVDs.  We wasted nearly half an hour as he pulled out a wad of bills, peeled off the only hundred dollar bill and tried to insist that I give him change for it, even though he had plenty of one dollar bills.  He kept arguing, probably in the hope that I would cave.  Happily, a man behind him leaned over, tapped him on the shoulder and said "Hey A******, give her a dollar or I will [threat to do serious bodily harm]."

Mortimer gave me a dollar.

My supervisor just told me tonight that Mortimer asked to borrow another patron's pen.  The patron allowed him to use it, but then Mort asked "Can I keep it  I like it."  The patron told him "No, it's my pen and I want it back."  So Mortimer shoved the pen up his own nose.  He wound up keeping it.  I told my supervisor I would have been likely to take the pen away, break it in half so he couldn't use it and then washed my hands with lye soap and steel wool pads.

Last night, he tried another tack to film people and kept asking if we would let him film if Stonecold gave him permission.  We said "Sure, but SHE has to tell  us."  We also explained that we didn't want him doing this for h is own good...if someone mistakes what you're doing and gets angry and physical with you, they could hurt you." 

He doesn't seem to care about his own safety, either, and he badgered us for the next hour and a half asking repeatedly if Stonecold would give him permission to do this.  We finally had to tell him to go sit down because we were not going to keep answering the same question over and over.

AND, I just found out today that he has been wandering about all the libraries asking people if he can live with them, can he have money, will they date him, can he have a ride, food, what is their religion, will they go to HIS church with them and so on. 

I KNOW that perhaps part of this problem is that he is challenged, but quite honestly, having watched and dealt with him for almost eight years, I really believe he is more than cognizant of what he is doing and that he is using his handicap to try and manipulate us into letting him do whatever he wants.

Is it evil of me to hope he DOES try to videotape the children of a very angry Mama Bear type or the girlfriend of a very jealous guy?"

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #27996 on: July 18, 2014, 03:46:15 PM »
I'd seriously watch out for Mortimer planting a camera in a washroom. He may have problems, but he's clearly smart enough to work a good scam.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

cass2591

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27997 on: July 18, 2014, 03:51:50 PM »

Eta: oops, didn't see that the discussion was shut down. Should I remove my post?

I cannot believe you are even asking that question rather than just deleting it.
There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened. ~ Mark Twain

Adopting a pet won't change the world, but it will change the world for that pet.

hermanne

• Visualize whorled peas...
« Reply #27998 on: July 18, 2014, 03:59:55 PM »
I'd seriously watch out for Mortimer planting a camera in a washroom. He may have problems, but he's clearly smart enough to work a good scam.

I think Mortimer is long overdue for a chat with the police.
Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #27999 on: July 18, 2014, 04:03:14 PM »
Oh goodness - that sounds like the SS' who knocked on my grandmothers' door while I was visiting earlier this week and asked when she thought her daffodils were going to be blooming.

Thankfully Nana has a spine of steel and asked why they cared - they were her daffodils. The people at her door merrily explained that they'd been picking them for the last couple of years to decorate the stand they set up in the mall to collect donations for the cancer council.

Nana told them that there would be no daffodils out front of her house this year, because so many people had been stealing them she had not planted any.

When they started to complain, she reached for the phone and asked if they really wanted to go down that road - as she had several complaints on file with the local police about people trespassing on her property and stealing from her garden, and she'd happily take their names and report them as the admitted thieves!

She was so upset, later on, though. Because if they'd taken the time to knock when they first STOLE the daffodils, she'd have donated the nicest ones, because it was and is for a good cause. As it is, she's contacted the people in charge of the fundraising to tell them about what happened and she really hopes that the people who were stealing the flowers face some consequences.

I hope the charity does do something to make it clear that stealing your grandmother's flowers is wrong.  Otherwise they might just try driving around in order to find another garden to steal from.

Morty'sCleaningLady

« Reply #28000 on: July 18, 2014, 04:15:22 PM »

We'll call him Mortimer. 

Just to clarify this is not my Morty!!!!!!!  (My Morty was a terrier -- sure we had behavior issues, but never with a video camera!
Formerly Mrs.Bart

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #28001 on: July 18, 2014, 04:54:28 PM »

Eta: oops, didn't see that the discussion was shut down. Should I remove my post?

I cannot believe you are even asking that question rather than just deleting it.

The idea has been spread (no idea where or how) that it's a ban-worthy offence to delete a post without mod approval, so that's probably why Kimblee thought she had to ask.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #28002 on: July 18, 2014, 05:01:01 PM »
There are some boards I've been on where highly controversial topics are discussed, and some people will edit or delete posts, leading to general incoherency in the discussion. In those cases, deleting posts may indeed get a ban.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Shalamar

« Reply #28003 on: July 18, 2014, 05:07:49 PM »
Magical thinking.  "I want it, so it will happen."

Hee hee, that reminds me of when we were moving house.  We'd packed up everything - and I do mean everything.  Every single thing we owned was loaded onto the truck.  One of the movers we'd hired said to me "Can I get a glass of water?"  He looked puzzled and a bit irked when I pointed to the tap and said "Sure, if you don't mind sticking your head under that."

cass2591

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28004 on: July 18, 2014, 05:37:29 PM »
I would think regular posters would, upon realizing they posted something in error after the fact, would simply edit their post and say why.