Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5623748 times)

cabbageweevil

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #28455 on: August 17, 2014, 09:57:57 AM »
As mentioned on another thread, the world's only two surviving and airworthy Lancaster bombers are currently doing a tour of the UK. One of them has flown over from Canada especially for the tour. Today's airshows and flypasts are cancelled due to bad weather, and someone on Twitter is moaning - directly @'d to the organisation putting on the tour, mind - that they're 'devastated' and their 'weekend is ruined, thanks for that' because now they won't be able to take a photograph. Yes, because your photography hobby is farrrrr more important than a) making sure that two utterly priceless artefacts don't fall out of the sky due to the dreadful weather and b) ensuring the safety of the crews piloting them  ::)

Still, this person has form of it all being about me me me, so I'm really not surprised, just amused.

Because a photo of a grey plane against grey sky is going to turn out right. Assuming they'd even be able to see the plane to photograph in the first place.  ::) Some people can't even think through their selfishness properly.

This person is actually a very talented photographer and has excellent equipment, and would likely take excellent pictures of the flypasts, but even so - the selfishness burned.

Photographers who are enthusiasts for "transport" themes in the most general sense of same, seem when in pursuit of their hobby, to have a tendency toward extreme self-centredness / selfishness; or -- trying for maximum charity -- being intensely focused, very narrowly, on doing their stuff.  Steam-railway-photography enthusiasts are notorious for this trait: when they're "on the hunt", it is for them literally the only thing in the world, and heaven help everyone around, if things are not exactly how they want them.  I suspect that for some of these folk, ideally trains would run completely empty of any passengers or freight -- there's a risk of such elements doing a little spoiling of the pictures.  I've witnessed altercations where steam-photographer A has, in taking his picture, inadvertently got in the way of steam-photographer B's taking his; which I've honestly feared would escalate into physical violence.

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter (formerly Laura___)
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
« Reply #28456 on: August 17, 2014, 10:25:26 AM »
<snip>
We have a population here who drives giant SUVs and parks so they are pulled part way into the space in front of them so they can leave by just driving forward. (I don't hate giant SUVs, we have one that DH drives) I currently drive a Scion XB and my last car was a Toyota Yaris. Both of which neatly fit in the remaining 3/4 of a parking space.  >:D Heck the Yaris could do it with room to spare. I miss that little car.

;D I like your style! Wouldn't have been cool to be surreptitiously watching the SUV driver's 1st sight of the tiny car parked in the space in front of his/her vehicle.  >:D

Barney girl

« Reply #28457 on: August 17, 2014, 10:50:27 AM »
As mentioned on another thread, the world's only two surviving and airworthy Lancaster bombers are currently doing a tour of the UK. One of them has flown over from Canada especially for the tour. Today's airshows and flypasts are cancelled due to bad weather, and someone on Twitter is moaning - directly @'d to the organisation putting on the tour, mind - that they're 'devastated' and their 'weekend is ruined, thanks for that' because now they won't be able to take a photograph. Yes, because your photography hobby is farrrrr more important than a) making sure that two utterly priceless artefacts don't fall out of the sky due to the dreadful weather and b) ensuring the safety of the crews piloting them  ::)

Still, this person has form of it all being about me me me, so I'm really not surprised, just amused.

O/T I couldn't find the other thread to comment there. We were meant to have had both of them fly over Lincoln cathedral a week ago, but bad weather cancelled that. I was just amazed that the Canadian Lancaster was able to make the transatlantic trip.

The British Lancaster is based fairly close to where I live, so I've seen it fly over a few times. I used to be amused by my father's slight resentment that my grandmother never woke him up when all the bombers flew over in support of the D-day landings. She had assumed the noise would have woken him. I sympathise with her. The Lancaster (plus a Spitfire and Hurricane) flew over my house a few weeks ago. Just those three are enough to notice and bring you outside, so 100s of them must have been incredibly loud.

andi

« Reply #28458 on: August 17, 2014, 11:32:55 AM »
Speaking of parking SS:

Yesterday afternoon we had a thunderstorm, complete with sideways rain.  You could see it coming for am  while but it got bad fast.  I saw several customers being dropped off near our doors, others running trying to hold umbrellas against the wind

However, our SS had a different plan. She pulled her Fiat up over our walkway and parked in the outside entry in front of our doors!  There was just enough room for people to get a shopping cart around, but not much

So, if that's not bad enough, when our manager paged for the owner to come to customer service this woman comes up in total bewilderment as to why we're asking her to move her car. Conversation went like this:

SM:  ma'am you'll have to move your car out of the entryway, it's a fire and safety hazard

SS:  it's raining.

SM:  yes ma'am, but you car cannot be parked on our sidewalk in front of the doors, it's a fire and safety hazard.

SS:  but it's raining.(louder)

SM:  yes ma'am i realize that, in fact I have large umbrella you can borrow but you'll need to move you car immediately since it's a fire and safety hazard or else I'll be forced to call the police to have it towed

SS:  they can't tow my car!  It's raining!!

SM:  ma'am they can  and they will, your car cannot be parked core our sidewalk and in front of our doors.  It s a fire and safety hazard

SS finally walked out in a huff and drove off. I was there for part of the conversation between our store manager and another manager as to how to handled this and was happy they went the "fire and safety hazard" route.  Simply telling her that it wasn't a parking space obviously wasn't going to work!

SingMeAway

• Formerly Mrs. Mouse
« Reply #28459 on: August 17, 2014, 12:19:20 PM »

PlainJane

« Reply #28460 on: August 17, 2014, 12:49:25 PM »
Someone who has gotten fed up with bad parking:

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/recognize-your-car-you-terrible-parker
I find the justification some have for bad parking interesting (paraphrased just a bit  ;D): Hey, I drive a Sherman tank, I neeeeeeeeeeeed 2 spaces so my baby doesn't get a scratch!

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #28461 on: August 17, 2014, 02:38:51 PM »
My city is having an air and water show which reminded me of a guy I know. Even though he was repeatedly warned, he drove to the event one year and expected to have no problem parking. And then ended up going home when there wasn't. But not before throwing a fit.

Dude, this is a major event. If people drive, they go before dawn or even the day before and set up tents. Most people know to take public transportation. Not him. He's so special that he thinks he can show up 10 minutes before the show and magically find parking and viewing space.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #28462 on: August 17, 2014, 02:42:31 PM »
Woman climbs over 1 of 2 fences between the public and the giraffes. A 2 yo giraffe kicked her in the face. She was arrested and faces a large fine. http://goo.gl/eWk2kd
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Nikko-chan

« Reply #28463 on: August 17, 2014, 02:48:09 PM »
Woman climbs over 1 of 2 fences between the public and the giraffes. A 2 yo giraffe kicked her in the face. She was arrested and faces a large fine. http://goo.gl/eWk2kd

Okay so I know the brain isn't fully done developing until one is 25.... but what on earth made this woman think that was even close to a good idea?

nayberry

« Reply #28464 on: August 17, 2014, 03:04:55 PM »

I find the justification some have for bad parking interesting (paraphrased just a bit  ;D): Hey, I drive a Sherman tank, I neeeeeeeeeeeed 2 spaces so my baby doesn't get a scratch!

on a different forum, related to cars, there is a bad parking thread,  the pic's are mind boggling!  although none are as bad as on
youparklikea____.com  ,  missing word is the impolite name for ladyparts!!  as you can guess by the site name bad language abounds

JoW

« Reply #28465 on: August 17, 2014, 03:24:30 PM »

I do that too, and for the same reason.  But I make sure to take my extra space some distance from the store. 

In my opinion manners are defined by the impact your actions have on another person. Depriving someone else of a parking space is bad.  Taking 2 spaces way out in the empty far reaches of the parking lot is ok.  And yes, that often means I park uncomfortably far from the store.  But that's the way it has to be if I want to protect my car from door dings and bad parkers. 

Apparently I'm not the only person who feels that way.  At my health club there is an area I call "new car row".  Its way off to the side, and its never full.  There are 9 spaces, and the convention is that every other space is used.  Its acceptable only because it is so far from the door.  There are always at least 5 empty single spaces between the door to the club and new car row. 

BeautifulDisaster

« Reply #28466 on: August 17, 2014, 03:42:23 PM »
I can into a parking special snowflake last week at the doctor's office. There are few spaces and what spaces there are are small. My truck just barely fits in them, but if I park it 100% square between the lines it does fit. I just have to squeeze out the door.

I pull in and there is ONE spot left, on one side is a large SUV parked very carefully between the lines, on the other side is a smaller SUV parked haphazardly with the driver side front wheel on the line. It was a very very very very tight fit but I got my truck in there. There was quite literally an inch of space between the side of my front bumper and this smaller SUV, but I never touched it and my truck was parked exactly between the lines.

Before I went inside I took pictures of the way the other car was parked, the way my truck was parked and the fact that there was NO paint transfer between the two cars. Just in case.

When I came out after my appointment the owner of the smaller SUV was standing in front of our vehicles looking at them in disbelief. I'm not sure if it was because I had the audacity to park next to her or because I actually got my truck into the space. I just got into my truck and left, again without touching her car. I have no idea how long she had been standing there when I came out.

On the flip side of that, there are some places I go where my truck WILL NOT fit into the spaces. I park in the back and walk. I've come back out to some pretty nasty notes, which I find silly when there's a sea of empty spaces in lots that never fill up, spaces I can't fit in.

bloo

« Reply #28467 on: August 17, 2014, 03:56:13 PM »

:o

"...The police report says Hall told officers she climbed into the exhibit because she loves giraffes..."

When you (general) "love" animals or a particular animal, it might be good idea to research them. For example the article said that giraffes are capable of killing lions. An interesting factoid I did not know. She's quite fortunate to not have sustained a more serious injury.

And $686 for being a dolt? Not including a possible hospital bill? She got off cheap.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #28468 on: August 17, 2014, 04:39:01 PM »
I was driving back from cottage country today and there was a lot of traffic.  I was driving in the fast lane, keeping up to the traffic in front of me, except I leave a 2 second gap to the vehicle in front of me to give me time to react if they suddenly brake.

I had several snowflakes who tailgated me so closely that I couldn't see their bumper.  I was going the same speed as the guy in front of me; I just left the correctly sized space and the SSs behind me just couldn't deal with the fact that there was a space in front of me.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Library Dragon

« Reply #28469 on: August 17, 2014, 06:10:43 PM »
I will confess that I intentionally aggravated a SS today.  >:D  In a store parking lot someone parked their shiny red Lexus over the space dividing lines.  It was an obvious move to prevent someone from parking in the next space.  I drive a Kia Soul which fit quit well into that space.  I made certain that the driver would be able to open the door and get in. 

We have a population here who drives giant SUVs and parks so they are pulled part way into the space in front of them so they can leave by just driving forward. (I don't hate giant SUVs, we have one that DH drives) I currently drive a Scion XB and my last car was a Toyota Yaris. Both of which neatly fit in the remaining 3/4 of a parking space.  >:D Heck the Yaris could do it with room to spare. I miss that little car.

Silly me, it took me a while to realize what they were doing when I saw this.  I figured, no problem.  I can fit. 

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter