Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5369137 times)

perpetua

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #28455 on: August 17, 2014, 06:02:29 AM »
As mentioned on another thread, the world's only two surviving and airworthy Lancaster bombers are currently doing a tour of the UK. One of them has flown over from Canada especially for the tour. Today's airshows and flypasts are cancelled due to bad weather, and someone on Twitter is moaning - directly @'d to the organisation putting on the tour, mind - that they're 'devastated' and their 'weekend is ruined, thanks for that' because now they won't be able to take a photograph. Yes, because your photography hobby is farrrrr more important than a) making sure that two utterly priceless artefacts don't fall out of the sky due to the dreadful weather and b) ensuring the safety of the crews piloting them  ::)

Still, this person has form of it all being about me me me, so I'm really not surprised, just amused.

Because a photo of a grey plane against grey sky is going to turn out right. Assuming they'd even be able to see the plane to photograph in the first place.  ::) Some people can't even think through their selfishness properly.

This person is actually a very talented photographer and has excellent equipment, and would likely take excellent pictures of the flypasts, but even so - the selfishness burned.

audhs

« Reply #28456 on: August 17, 2014, 06:09:24 AM »
I'm going to nominate what I assume is the drunk hotel guests who after attending a wedding in our hotel tonight have decided to continue the party in their rooms which wouldn't be an issue except for the fact they feel the need to spuratically change rooms.  Recently they were knocking on the door next to us loudly wondering why they weren't answering. We'll maybe it's because it was 3:30am.  Idiots.

We've called the front desk 3 times tonight since 1am it is now 4am.  I feel bad for the staff as they are trying.

I double nominate the guy who when told to go to his room decided to get louder and declare that he didn't have to do anything he didn't want to do.

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #28457 on: August 17, 2014, 06:24:22 AM »
Yesterday, in a small souvenir shop in Salzburg Austria.  SS was wearing a huge backpack.  He turned around and thumped me with it, hard enough that I inadvertently took a step to the side.  He then repeated the movement a few more times.  I said 'excuse me!' In a very annoyed voice, he looked at me and said 'no problem'.   ::)

Wench

« Reply #28458 on: August 17, 2014, 06:44:45 AM »
[rightI will confess that I intentionally aggravated a SS today.  >:D  In a storAygong lot someone parked their shiny red Lexus over the space dividing lines.  It was an obvious move to prevent someone from parking in the next space.  I drive a Kia Soul which fit quit well into that space.  I made certain that the driver would be able to open the door and get in. 

When I came out the driver was standing there looking from her car to mine, back and forth as at a tennis match. I got into my car and since no one was in front of me I was able to simply drive off.  Yes, I am bad and took joy from this[/right]

Actually I had two of these when I parked the car on Friday night. I don't have my own parking space so I have to use on street parking including a public car park. I have a Toyota Aygo and can fit in a tiny space.  One of the cars were gone in the morning when I next used the car. I really hope both cars got a ticket from the traffic warden!

Jloreli

« Reply #28459 on: August 17, 2014, 07:43:19 AM »
I will confess that I intentionally aggravated a SS today.  >:D  In a store parking lot someone parked their shiny red Lexus over the space dividing lines.  It was an obvious move to prevent someone from parking in the next space.  I drive a Kia Soul which fit quit well into that space.  I made certain that the driver would be able to open the door and get in. 

When I came out the driver was standing there looking from her car to mine, back and forth as at a tennis match. I got into my car and since no one was in front of me I was able to simply drive off.  Yes, I am bad and took joy from this.

We have a population here who drives giant SUVs and parks so they are pulled part way into the space in front of them so they can leave by just driving forward. (I don't hate giant SUVs, we have one that DH drives) I currently drive a Scion XB and my last car was a Toyota Yaris. Both of which neatly fit in the remaining 3/4 of a parking space.  >:D Heck the Yaris could do it with room to spare. I miss that little car.

knitwicca

« Reply #28460 on: August 17, 2014, 08:07:10 AM »
As mentioned on another thread, the world's only two surviving and airworthy Lancaster bombers are currently doing a tour of the UK. One of them has flown over from Canada especially for the tour. Today's airshows and flypasts are cancelled due to bad weather, and someone on Twitter is moaning - directly @'d to the organisation putting on the tour, mind - that they're 'devastated' and their 'weekend is ruined, thanks for that' because now they won't be able to take a photograph. Yes, because your photography hobby is farrrrr more important than a) making sure that two utterly priceless artefacts don't fall out of the sky due to the dreadful weather and b) ensuring the safety of the crews piloting them  ::)

Still, this person has form of it all being about me me me, so I'm really not surprised, just amused.

I used to hear this sort of complaint during the Space Shuttle days.

It is understandable that people planned vacation time to coincide with watching a Shuttle launch. What is not understandable is that, knowing we lost two crews, the idea of anyone thinking his vacation more important than the lives of others.

cabbageweevil

« Reply #28461 on: August 17, 2014, 09:57:57 AM »

Because a photo of a grey plane against grey sky is going to turn out right. Assuming they'd even be able to see the plane to photograph in the first place.  ::) Some people can't even think through their selfishness properly.

This person is actually a very talented photographer and has excellent equipment, and would likely take excellent pictures of the flypasts, but even so - the selfishness burned.

Photographers who are enthusiasts for "transport" themes in the most general sense of same, seem when in pursuit of their hobby, to have a tendency toward extreme self-centredness / selfishness; or -- trying for maximum charity -- being intensely focused, very narrowly, on doing their stuff.  Steam-railway-photography enthusiasts are notorious for this trait: when they're "on the hunt", it is for them literally the only thing in the world, and heaven help everyone around, if things are not exactly how they want them.  I suspect that for some of these folk, ideally trains would run completely empty of any passengers or freight -- there's a risk of such elements doing a little spoiling of the pictures.  I've witnessed altercations where steam-photographer A has, in taking his picture, inadvertently got in the way of steam-photographer B's taking his; which I've honestly feared would escalate into physical violence.

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter (formerly Laura___)
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
« Reply #28462 on: August 17, 2014, 10:25:26 AM »
<snip>
We have a population here who drives giant SUVs and parks so they are pulled part way into the space in front of them so they can leave by just driving forward. (I don't hate giant SUVs, we have one that DH drives) I currently drive a Scion XB and my last car was a Toyota Yaris. Both of which neatly fit in the remaining 3/4 of a parking space.  >:D Heck the Yaris could do it with room to spare. I miss that little car.

;D I like your style! Wouldn't have been cool to be surreptitiously watching the SUV driver's 1st sight of the tiny car parked in the space in front of his/her vehicle.  >:D

Barney girl

« Reply #28463 on: August 17, 2014, 10:50:27 AM »

O/T I couldn't find the other thread to comment there. We were meant to have had both of them fly over Lincoln cathedral a week ago, but bad weather cancelled that. I was just amazed that the Canadian Lancaster was able to make the transatlantic trip.

The British Lancaster is based fairly close to where I live, so I've seen it fly over a few times. I used to be amused by my father's slight resentment that my grandmother never woke him up when all the bombers flew over in support of the D-day landings. She had assumed the noise would have woken him. I sympathise with her. The Lancaster (plus a Spitfire and Hurricane) flew over my house a few weeks ago. Just those three are enough to notice and bring you outside, so 100s of them must have been incredibly loud.

andi

« Reply #28464 on: August 17, 2014, 11:32:55 AM »
Speaking of parking SS:

Yesterday afternoon we had a thunderstorm, complete with sideways rain.  You could see it coming for am  while but it got bad fast.  I saw several customers being dropped off near our doors, others running trying to hold umbrellas against the wind

However, our SS had a different plan. She pulled her Fiat up over our walkway and parked in the outside entry in front of our doors!  There was just enough room for people to get a shopping cart around, but not much

So, if that's not bad enough, when our manager paged for the owner to come to customer service this woman comes up in total bewilderment as to why we're asking her to move her car. Conversation went like this:

SM:  ma'am you'll have to move your car out of the entryway, it's a fire and safety hazard

SS:  it's raining.

SM:  yes ma'am, but you car cannot be parked on our sidewalk in front of the doors, it's a fire and safety hazard.

SS:  but it's raining.(louder)

SM:  yes ma'am i realize that, in fact I have large umbrella you can borrow but you'll need to move you car immediately since it's a fire and safety hazard or else I'll be forced to call the police to have it towed

SS:  they can't tow my car!  It's raining!!

SM:  ma'am they can  and they will, your car cannot be parked core our sidewalk and in front of our doors.  It s a fire and safety hazard

SS finally walked out in a huff and drove off. I was there for part of the conversation between our store manager and another manager as to how to handled this and was happy they went the "fire and safety hazard" route.  Simply telling her that it wasn't a parking space obviously wasn't going to work!

SingMeAway

• Formerly Mrs. Mouse
« Reply #28465 on: August 17, 2014, 12:19:20 PM »

PlainJane

« Reply #28466 on: August 17, 2014, 12:49:25 PM »
Someone who has gotten fed up with bad parking:

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/recognize-your-car-you-terrible-parker
I find the justification some have for bad parking interesting (paraphrased just a bit  ;D): Hey, I drive a Sherman tank, I neeeeeeeeeeeed 2 spaces so my baby doesn't get a scratch!

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #28467 on: August 17, 2014, 02:38:51 PM »
My city is having an air and water show which reminded me of a guy I know. Even though he was repeatedly warned, he drove to the event one year and expected to have no problem parking. And then ended up going home when there wasn't. But not before throwing a fit.

Dude, this is a major event. If people drive, they go before dawn or even the day before and set up tents. Most people know to take public transportation. Not him. He's so special that he thinks he can show up 10 minutes before the show and magically find parking and viewing space.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #28468 on: August 17, 2014, 02:42:31 PM »
Woman climbs over 1 of 2 fences between the public and the giraffes. A 2 yo giraffe kicked her in the face. She was arrested and faces a large fine. http://goo.gl/eWk2kd
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Nikko-chan

« Reply #28469 on: August 17, 2014, 02:48:09 PM »
Woman climbs over 1 of 2 fences between the public and the giraffes. A 2 yo giraffe kicked her in the face. She was arrested and faces a large fine. http://goo.gl/eWk2kd

Okay so I know the brain isn't fully done developing until one is 25.... but what on earth made this woman think that was even close to a good idea?