Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5515645 times)

JoW

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #28470 on: August 17, 2014, 03:24:30 PM »
Someone who has gotten fed up with bad parking:

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/recognize-your-car-you-terrible-parker
I find the justification some have for bad parking interesting (paraphrased just a bit  ;D): Hey, I drive a Sherman tank, I neeeeeeeeeeeed 2 spaces so my baby doesn't get a scratch!
I do that too, and for the same reason.  But I make sure to take my extra space some distance from the store. 

In my opinion manners are defined by the impact your actions have on another person. Depriving someone else of a parking space is bad.  Taking 2 spaces way out in the empty far reaches of the parking lot is ok.  And yes, that often means I park uncomfortably far from the store.  But that's the way it has to be if I want to protect my car from door dings and bad parkers. 

Apparently I'm not the only person who feels that way.  At my health club there is an area I call "new car row".  Its way off to the side, and its never full.  There are 9 spaces, and the convention is that every other space is used.  Its acceptable only because it is so far from the door.  There are always at least 5 empty single spaces between the door to the club and new car row. 

BeautifulDisaster

« Reply #28471 on: August 17, 2014, 03:42:23 PM »
I can into a parking special snowflake last week at the doctor's office. There are few spaces and what spaces there are are small. My truck just barely fits in them, but if I park it 100% square between the lines it does fit. I just have to squeeze out the door.

I pull in and there is ONE spot left, on one side is a large SUV parked very carefully between the lines, on the other side is a smaller SUV parked haphazardly with the driver side front wheel on the line. It was a very very very very tight fit but I got my truck in there. There was quite literally an inch of space between the side of my front bumper and this smaller SUV, but I never touched it and my truck was parked exactly between the lines.

Before I went inside I took pictures of the way the other car was parked, the way my truck was parked and the fact that there was NO paint transfer between the two cars. Just in case.

When I came out after my appointment the owner of the smaller SUV was standing in front of our vehicles looking at them in disbelief. I'm not sure if it was because I had the audacity to park next to her or because I actually got my truck into the space. I just got into my truck and left, again without touching her car. I have no idea how long she had been standing there when I came out.

On the flip side of that, there are some places I go where my truck WILL NOT fit into the spaces. I park in the back and walk. I've come back out to some pretty nasty notes, which I find silly when there's a sea of empty spaces in lots that never fill up, spaces I can't fit in.

bloo

« Reply #28472 on: August 17, 2014, 03:56:13 PM »
Woman climbs over 1 of 2 fences between the public and the giraffes. A 2 yo giraffe kicked her in the face. She was arrested and faces a large fine. http://goo.gl/eWk2kd

:o

"...The police report says Hall told officers she climbed into the exhibit because she loves giraffes..."

When you (general) "love" animals or a particular animal, it might be good idea to research them. For example the article said that giraffes are capable of killing lions. An interesting factoid I did not know. She's quite fortunate to not have sustained a more serious injury.

And $686 for being a dolt? Not including a possible hospital bill? She got off cheap.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #28473 on: August 17, 2014, 04:39:01 PM »
I was driving back from cottage country today and there was a lot of traffic.  I was driving in the fast lane, keeping up to the traffic in front of me, except I leave a 2 second gap to the vehicle in front of me to give me time to react if they suddenly brake.

I had several snowflakes who tailgated me so closely that I couldn't see their bumper.  I was going the same speed as the guy in front of me; I just left the correctly sized space and the SSs behind me just couldn't deal with the fact that there was a space in front of me.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Library Dragon

« Reply #28474 on: August 17, 2014, 06:10:43 PM »
I will confess that I intentionally aggravated a SS today.  >:D  In a store parking lot someone parked their shiny red Lexus over the space dividing lines.  It was an obvious move to prevent someone from parking in the next space.  I drive a Kia Soul which fit quit well into that space.  I made certain that the driver would be able to open the door and get in. 

We have a population here who drives giant SUVs and parks so they are pulled part way into the space in front of them so they can leave by just driving forward. (I don't hate giant SUVs, we have one that DH drives) I currently drive a Scion XB and my last car was a Toyota Yaris. Both of which neatly fit in the remaining 3/4 of a parking space.  >:D Heck the Yaris could do it with room to spare. I miss that little car.

Silly me, it took me a while to realize what they were doing when I saw this.  I figured, no problem.  I can fit. 

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

JoW

« Reply #28475 on: August 17, 2014, 06:36:55 PM »
I just got back from the grocery where I saw someone who was using 8 parking spaces.  It was a small SUV pulling a trailer, and he took a block of 2 space X 4 space area of the parking lot.  But he was parked way off to the side, not depriving anyone else of a space.  I only noticed him because I was looking for a space in the low-traffic area.  Again, not a snowflake because he wasn't depriving anyone else of a space. 

Library Dragon

« Reply #28476 on: August 17, 2014, 06:44:54 PM »
Agreed, not SS.  The driver did what was needed to minimize disruption to others.   A big virtual hug to the driver. 

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

TeamBhakta

« Reply #28477 on: August 17, 2014, 08:44:32 PM »
"A 2-year-old, 12-foot-tall giraffe named Wally gave Hall a lick, then turned and kicked her in the face.
Zoo staff told police that giraffes are capable of killing lions,"

Instead of "why don't you go jump off a bridge ?", my new saying will be "I hope you get licked and kicked by a baby giraffe." 

greencat

« Reply #28478 on: August 17, 2014, 09:35:13 PM »
"A 2-year-old, 12-foot-tall giraffe named Wally gave Hall a lick, then turned and kicked her in the face.
Zoo staff told police that giraffes are capable of killing lions,"

Instead of "why don't you go jump off a bridge ?", my new saying will be "I hope you get licked and kicked by a baby giraffe."

Getting licked by a giraffe was probably the highlight of her life, shortly followed by the worst things to ever happen to her.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #28479 on: August 17, 2014, 09:53:05 PM »
My doctor's office has parking along the side of the building for employees.  There are two offices in the building (insurance & doctor).  There are four slots in front of the building - facing the doors & windows, a square marked off as not a parking space in the corner, and then five more parking spaces at a 90 degree angle to the ones that face the building along a row of hedges (facing the hedges). 

Someone who got there "early" decided to park at an angle in the "no parking" square and was really not happy when they got parked in by people parking in the marked "real" spaces. 

Apparently being there before anyone but the employees was supposed to give her the power to change the parking spaces from straight parking to angle parking...or something. 

I was just glad that I was able to park two spaces out from the end of her vehicle, so that she could avoid scraping along the driver's rear of my vehicle - but someone else parked her in.

Then there was the person who decided to park in someone else (parked behind them in the | | space in such a way that the two people to the passenger's side couldn't get out either - as there is no way to drive through the hedges (fence) to get out.  They blocked in at least three vehicles because they couldn't go to the side parking or park under the tree to one side of the building...

I really do think that the building needs more parking spaces - but parking any which way you want to, without regard for marked spaces is not the way to influence the doctor to pay for more paving...
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Seven Ate Nine

« Reply #28480 on: August 17, 2014, 09:56:12 PM »
I will confess that I intentionally aggravated a SS today.  >:D  In a store parking lot someone parked their shiny red Lexus over the space dividing lines.  It was an obvious move to prevent someone from parking in the next space.  I drive a Kia Soul which fit quit well into that space.  I made certain that the driver would be able to open the door and get in. 

When I came out the driver was standing there looking from her car to mine, back and forth as at a tennis match. I got into my car and since no one was in front of me I was able to simply drive off.  Yes, I am bad and took joy from this.

We have a population here who drives giant SUVs and parks so they are pulled part way into the space in front of them so they can leave by just driving forward. (I don't hate giant SUVs, we have one that DH drives) I currently drive a Scion XB and my last car was a Toyota Yaris. Both of which neatly fit in the remaining 3/4 of a parking space.  >:D Heck the Yaris could do it with room to spare. I miss that little car.

I used to have a truck that was too long for standard parking spaces.  When I could, I'd back it into a space that ended at a grass median or similar, to minimize disruption.  Often though, that wasn't possible, so I'd park in the far reaches of the lot, with my nose out and back bumper over the line.  On the single occasion when the mall was full enough that people were parked out to me when I got out (I was literally the last space, and got there early so the lot was only half full when I got there) I was happy to see a little car parked in the space behind me.

Likewise, my friend drives a 12 passenger van with a stroller on the hitch.  Her vehicle is long, and she needs extra space off the side for unloading her kids safely.  She parks at the back of the lot and takes extra space.  I went to the mall with her the other day, and we got some dirty looks from a guy who parked near us (I was parked on the unloading side of her, so no one could block her in) but there were at least 20 spots open that were closer to the doors than we were, so I ignored him.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #28481 on: August 17, 2014, 10:00:14 PM »
Someone who has gotten fed up with bad parking:

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/recognize-your-car-you-terrible-parker
I find the justification some have for bad parking interesting (paraphrased just a bit  ;D ): Hey, I drive a Sherman tank, I neeeeeeeeeeeed 2 spaces so my baby doesn't get a scratch!
See my Yorkshire ram story, from earlier in the thread.  >:D
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #28482 on: August 17, 2014, 10:05:56 PM »

Getting licked by a giraffe was probably the highlight of her life, shortly followed by the worst things to ever happen to her.

I don't know.  Have you ever seen a giraffe's tongue?  They're HUGE and usually strangely silvery, but sometimes dark purple!  I do like giraffes and all, but to be honest their tongues are kind of creepy and disgusting!!

Addy

« Reply #28483 on: August 17, 2014, 10:23:17 PM »

I don't know.  Have you ever seen a giraffe's tongue?  They're HUGE and usually strangely silvery, but sometimes dark purple!  I do like giraffes and all, but to be honest their tongues are kind of creepy and disgusting!!

Amen to that! I actually have been licked by a giraffe. Or more accurately, been slobbered on by a giraffe. The zoo had cookies that you could feed to the giraffes. Like a fool, I thought it would be cute and fun.  :P

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #28484 on: August 17, 2014, 10:44:11 PM »

Amen to that! I actually have been licked by a giraffe. Or more accurately, been slobbered on by a giraffe. The zoo had cookies that you could feed to the giraffes. Like a fool, I thought it would be cute and fun.  :P

Somebody should have told that to the silly lady!  "If you don't want them to kick you, bring them cookies!"  ;D