Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5376819 times)

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #28575 on: August 25, 2014, 03:12:25 PM »
This SS found out her new military spouse was having an affair with his co-worker's wife. The article says she reported it to her husband's superiors and the co-worker (although the video interview mentions the co-worker reported her husband. I guess she and the co-worker both did ?). Which led to her soon to be exhusband getting a paycut. And now it's not faaaiiirrr "their" paycheck back then was cut, because she was just ~doing the right thing~ for her husband's co-worker and could not "hold in" her experience  ::) I guess she was hoping the co-worker's paycheck would be cut, too ?  ???

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/22/military-marriages_n_5698547.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592

In reading the article/listening to the video, it seems like she told the other woman's husband only. He is the one who told their superior officers. I don't think she's a SS. She's someone who is justifiably hurt and who was in a difficult position. She didn't have anyone to go to who wasn't involved with the military, so if she did tell someone, it would blow back on her.

And she points out that nothing could be done to the other woman by the military since she wasn't enlisted. She doesn't say it wasn't fair, just that they're still together.

Well, that's difficult. To have no family, no minister, no friends at all, to talk to, who are not in the military? Must be very isolating.

But if she's that much involved in the military, she should know how it works. What exactly did she think the military was going to do to (1) her husband, and (2) the other woman? It's no different than if you were married to, say, an accountant, and reported him fiddling the books to his boss. You'd still suffer a financial blow if he were fired. The company wouldn't keep paying you just because you were an innocent party.

If she didn't expect a penalty to the other couple, I'm not sure why she mentioned them in the story in the first place.

I am not sure why she's talking to the media at all, since she has now divorced her husband. Sounds like she was very young and naÔve when she got married, and is a bit caught up in the whole "it's not fair" aspect. It is a hard truth: Life as a military spouse is no where close to "fair."

And she could have sought counseling for the issue for herself, there are resources to support military wives that don't require reporting. (Although this may change in the future. This is a big issue in the military, that people do not report abuse because of the fear that pay/benefits may be taken away.)

I've also heard that people won't get help for mental health or children's health issues, because if a dependent is known to have a problem that requires certain kinds of medical care, the military member can't be sent to bases that don't have that kind of help available.  Which sounds nice, except that not being able to be sent where needed can be a killer to the military member's career.  So people are scared to report postpartum depression issues, because that one-time issue could limit their spouse's career for life, even if it would never come up again.  I am *so* thankful that so far this hasn't come up at all for us, but I know people who have had to make hard decisions about getting help versus career advancement.

Yarnspinner

« Reply #28576 on: August 25, 2014, 03:57:06 PM »
Small child who is going to grow up to be a snowflake (although he seems to be there already).

First, this is partly the fault of my coworkers, who occasionally hand out lollipops to small children.  This little fellow knows it and demands one whenever he is in.  Today was one of those days.  Sorry, but...we don't have any lollipops.  At all.  None.

"But I waaaaaaannntt one."

"We don't have any today.  I am sorry."

"But I waaaaaaaant one!"

Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

I was appalled that one of my coworkers suggested running to the store  to get him some candy.  "No," I told  her.  "This is a library.  Not a candy store.  He's going to have to get used to disappointment."

His mother didn't even say "Poindexter, you have asked and they said no.  Please stop asking."  Not once.  She managed not to say we were mean for not having any, but she didn't manage to suggest to her child that perhaps he needed to listen when someone said "No." 

Of course, she also feels compelled to walk behind our desk to look through new books and movies before we put them out, so...you can see the apple doesn't fall far from the tree....

If it were up to me, we would not be handing out goodies, but the boss has set a precedent.

Other than that, still lovin' this new job!

Yarnspinner

« Reply #28577 on: August 25, 2014, 03:59:33 PM »
Last night, DragonDaughter was at her job at Walmart.
She noticed one of the sliding doors wasn't operating properly (not opening).
So she turned off the door and put up an "Out of Order" signs.

When she came back from break, not only had a Special Snowflake disregarded the signs, but had pushed a cart *through* the doors. The doors are sliding doors - like an elevator.
The door had been pushed at an angle, as though it were on s hinge, like a regular door.  :o

DragonDaughter and a manager wrested the door back onto its track and replaced the signage.

Later that shift, she had another brief break. Again, a coworker covered for her.

This time, the SS was less aggressive on the door and simply ignored the signs and forced the sliding doors open.

D'oh!!!

Is there any possibility that these door wreckers don't read English?  Perhaps a bigger sign with some sort of a symbol would help in the future.

I work in a building where I'm quite sure that everyone coming in reads and speaks at least rudimentary English, and they keep pressing the elevator button through the sign that says that the elevator is out of order.  I personally put up two signs - one on the elevator doors and one covering the elevator button, on each floor.  :-\

Whenever one of the copy machines at the library breaks down, we make HUGE signs that say "OUT OF ORDER", tape the top of the machine down so it can't be raised up and then tape the sign across both pieces so it's fairly obvious the machine can't be used.  Non English Speakers seem to get that this means the machine is not operating. 

But if I had a dime for every time someone yelled across the room "Hey!  Did you know this  d**ned thing isn't working?"  and have looked up to see the patron holding the top up, the sign and tape hanging in pieces and have said "Yes, that's why that sign was on it."
and have the patron say "Well, I was in a hurry, I don't have time for signs"...I could be very rich indeed. 

Yes, some might be illiterate...but all of them?  No, I think it's not too much of an extrapolation to assume a lot of these are special, special snowflakes who think the machine will magically work for them.
That only works if your Micah Sanders from the TV show HEROES and can command the copier to work.  ;D

Wish he worked for us.  It just frosts me how people really, truly believe we are breaking the machines so that they can't use them.  Or something. 

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #28578 on: August 25, 2014, 04:14:26 PM »
Whenever one of the copy machines at the library breaks down, we make HUGE signs that say "OUT OF ORDER", tape the top of the machine down so it can't be raised up and then tape the sign across both pieces so it's fairly obvious the machine can't be used.  Non English Speakers seem to get that this means the machine is not operating. 

But if I had a dime for every time someone yelled across the room "Hey!  Did you know this  d**ned thing isn't working?"  and have looked up to see the patron holding the top up, the sign and tape hanging in pieces and have said "Yes, that's why that sign was on it."
and have the patron say "Well, I was in a hurry, I don't have time for signs"...I could be very rich indeed. 

Yes, some might be illiterate...but all of them?  No, I think it's not too much of an extrapolation to assume a lot of these are special, special snowflakes who think the machine will magically work for them.

I know exactly the frustration of which you speak. A few auditoriums are temporarily out of order with the pre - show, so they either have visual without audio or vice versa. We've put up signs on the doors all 10 auditoriums - even the ones that are fine - and on both ticket tearing stations that the pre - show may or may not work as intended. And yet, people come storming up, screaming, "Why is the movie not playing?!?" Well, sir or madam, if you had been paying the remotest attention, you would see the signs that we put up to inform you of the ongoing issues. *headdesk*
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #28579 on: August 25, 2014, 04:36:18 PM »

I know exactly the frustration of which you speak. A few auditoriums are temporarily out of order with the pre - show, so they either have visual without audio or vice versa. We've put up signs on the doors all 10 auditoriums - even the ones that are fine - and on both ticket tearing stations that the pre - show may or may not work as intended. And yet, people come storming up, screaming, "Why is the movie not playing?!?" Well, sir or madam, if you had been paying the remotest attention, you would see the signs that we put up to inform you of the ongoing issues. *headdesk*
My father, who is literate, says that if a particular sign doesn't apply to him, he doesn't read it.   Not ignores it -- does not read it.   Which causes my mother to sigh and go ::) at him -- how can you look at letters in a row and not read them?
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #28580 on: August 25, 2014, 04:41:18 PM »

My father, who is literate, says that if a particular sign doesn't apply to him, he doesn't read it.   Not ignores it -- does not read it.   Which causes my mother to sigh and go ::) at him -- how can you look at letters in a row and not read them?

How does he know if it applies to him or not without reading it first?
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

MrTango

« Reply #28581 on: August 25, 2014, 05:15:04 PM »

How does he know if it applies to him or not without reading it first?

That was my first thought as well.

kckgirl

« Reply #28582 on: August 25, 2014, 05:54:30 PM »

::perk:: New job? Without Stonecold?
Maryland

Shea

« Reply #28583 on: August 25, 2014, 06:22:00 PM »
Small child who is going to grow up to be a snowflake (although he seems to be there already).

First, this is partly the fault of my coworkers, who occasionally hand out lollipops to small children.  This little fellow knows it and demands one whenever he is in.  Today was one of those days.  Sorry, but...we don't have any lollipops.  At all.  None.

"But I waaaaaaannntt one."

"We don't have any today.  I am sorry."

"But I waaaaaaaant one!"

Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

I was appalled that one of my coworkers suggested running to the store  to get him some candy.  "No," I told  her.  "This is a library.  Not a candy store.  He's going to have to get used to disappointment."

His mother didn't even say "Poindexter, you have asked and they said no.  Please stop asking."  Not once.  She managed not to say we were mean for not having any, but she didn't manage to suggest to her child that perhaps he needed to listen when someone said "No." 

Of course, she also feels compelled to walk behind our desk to look through new books and movies before we put them out, so...you can see the apple doesn't fall far from the tree....

If it were up to me, we would not be handing out goodies, but the boss has set a precedent.

At my old library, I used to spend time on the reference desk, and when I started we'd have bowls of candies out for the students, supplied by the university (wrapped in cellophane with the uni's name on it). Then budget cuts happened, and little promotional extras like that went out the window. Students, who had become accustomed to stopping by the desk for a sugar boost, were disappointed, but mostly reacted understandingly since they knew about the budget cuts. But there were that few who just could not believe that we weren't giving out candy anymore. What were they supposed to do?? They needed candy! Were we sure there wasn't any in the back? Really? None? That's crazy!

These were, in case it wasn't clear, university students. At least 18 years old, some as old as mid-twenties. So what I'm saying, Yarnspinner, is that I know exactly what that kid will be like when he's in university.

If a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, librarians are a global threat.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #28584 on: August 25, 2014, 07:35:24 PM »
This SS found out her new military spouse was having an affair with his co-worker's wife. The article says she reported it to her husband's superiors and the co-worker (although the video interview mentions the co-worker reported her husband. I guess she and the co-worker both did ?). Which led to her soon to be exhusband getting a paycut. And now it's not faaaiiirrr "their" paycheck back then was cut, because she was just ~doing the right thing~ for her husband's co-worker and could not "hold in" her experience  ::) I guess she was hoping the co-worker's paycheck would be cut, too ?  ???

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/22/military-marriages_n_5698547.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592

In reading the article/listening to the video, it seems like she told the other woman's husband only. He is the one who told their superior officers. I don't think she's a SS. She's someone who is justifiably hurt and who was in a difficult position. She didn't have anyone to go to who wasn't involved with the military, so if she did tell someone, it would blow back on her.

And she points out that nothing could be done to the other woman by the military since she wasn't enlisted. She doesn't say it wasn't fair, just that they're still together.

Well, that's difficult. To have no family, no minister, no friends at all, to talk to, who are not in the military? Must be very isolating.

But if she's that much involved in the military, she should know how it works. What exactly did she think the military was going to do to (1) her husband, and (2) the other woman? It's no different than if you were married to, say, an accountant, and reported him fiddling the books to his boss. You'd still suffer a financial blow if he were fired. The company wouldn't keep paying you just because you were an innocent party.

If she didn't expect a penalty to the other couple, I'm not sure why she mentioned them in the story in the first place.

She was answering the reporter's question about whether anything happened to the other couple.
If wisdomís ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

BabyMama

• Kim Chee Casserole
« Reply #28585 on: August 25, 2014, 07:41:16 PM »

Wow. What a *very* special snowflake.

I guess that she expected that the military, like a stern parent, would punish her husband for cheating, but somehow leave her financial situation untouched, while punishing the other family because of the misbehaviour of the wife, who is not employed by the military at all.

To be honest, it sounds like she married a paycheque, not a man. And it's kind of tasteless to brag about how you knew your husband "longer than most married couples have been together" unless you've been with him for a few decades, at least.

I don't know if that's really an "affair" if she found out within a day. It sounds like they had a quickie wedding--not really enough time for him to break it off with his other girlfriend (married or not.) It doesn't say if he was still seeing her 24 hours after their wedding...

Specky

« Reply #28586 on: August 25, 2014, 08:45:28 PM »
I don't know if that's really an "affair" if she found out within a day. It sounds like they had a quickie wedding--not really enough time for him to break it off with his other girlfriend (married or not.) It doesn't say if he was still seeing her 24 hours after their wedding...

It doesn't matter if they were married or not.  If the husband was in a relationship with the other guy's wife, it's an affair.

wonderfullyanonymous

« Reply #28587 on: August 25, 2014, 08:56:22 PM »
I was called mean when I told a customer their 6 year old relative could not drive an electric cart meant for handicapped people. It was also my fault they lost onhe of the 3 because I would not let said 6 year old drive it.

I might have given them a pass if the 6y/o could have controlled it, but she couldn't, and a busy Saturday is not the time to let them figure it out.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #28588 on: August 25, 2014, 09:24:51 PM »

My sister has figured it out - when reading causes eye strain and headaches - you might minimize the attention that you give to signs that don't appear to need reading. 

But I still can't figure out how to do it.  I will try to puzzle out what print that is upside down to me says.  It's like trying to ignore a flashing light to ignore print that my brain insists *needs* to be read....
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

dawbs

« Reply #28589 on: August 25, 2014, 09:29:40 PM »
*snip*

My sister has figured it out - when reading causes eye strain and headaches - you might minimize the attention that you give to signs that don't appear to need reading. 

But I still can't figure out how to do it.  I will try to puzzle out what print that is upside down to me says.  It's like trying to ignore a flashing light to ignore print that my brain insists *needs* to be read....

I can't tell which I ought to be reading or not, but it is possible to force one's eyes to de-focus to prevent reading--fellow eye-related migraine sufferer here.  There's a spot about 18 inches in front of my right eye that will leave the world in focus enough that I don't walk into things but out of focus enough that I miss signs and details.

I wouldn't recommend needing to figure out how to do it though :)