Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5390726 times)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #28590 on: August 25, 2014, 10:59:33 PM »
Whenever one of the copy machines at the library breaks down, we make HUGE signs that say "OUT OF ORDER", tape the top of the machine down so it can't be raised up and then tape the sign across both pieces so it's fairly obvious the machine can't be used.  Non English Speakers seem to get that this means the machine is not operating. 

But if I had a dime for every time someone yelled across the room "Hey!  Did you know this  d**ned thing isn't working?"  and have looked up to see the patron holding the top up, the sign and tape hanging in pieces and have said "Yes, that's why that sign was on it."
and have the patron say "Well, I was in a hurry, I don't have time for signs"...I could be very rich indeed. 

Yes, some might be illiterate...but all of them?  No, I think it's not too much of an extrapolation to assume a lot of these are special, special snowflakes who think the machine will magically work for them.

I know exactly the frustration of which you speak. A few auditoriums are temporarily out of order with the pre - show, so they either have visual without audio or vice versa. We've put up signs on the doors all 10 auditoriums - even the ones that are fine - and on both ticket tearing stations that the pre - show may or may not work as intended. And yet, people come storming up, screaming, "Why is the movie not playing?!?" Well, sir or madam, if you had been paying the remotest attention, you would see the signs that we put up to inform you of the ongoing issues. *headdesk*
My father, who is literate, says that if a particular sign doesn't apply to him, he doesn't read it.   Not ignores it -- does not read it.   Which causes my mother to sigh and go ::) at him -- how can you look at letters in a row and not read them?

How does he know if it applies to him or not without reading it first?
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #28591 on: August 25, 2014, 11:06:53 PM »
Whenever one of the copy machines at the library breaks down, we make HUGE signs that say "OUT OF ORDER", tape the top of the machine down so it can't be raised up and then tape the sign across both pieces so it's fairly obvious the machine can't be used.  Non English Speakers seem to get that this means the machine is not operating. 

But if I had a dime for every time someone yelled across the room "Hey!  Did you know this  d**ned thing isn't working?"  and have looked up to see the patron holding the top up, the sign and tape hanging in pieces and have said "Yes, that's why that sign was on it."
and have the patron say "Well, I was in a hurry, I don't have time for signs"...I could be very rich indeed. 

Yes, some might be illiterate...but all of them?  No, I think it's not too much of an extrapolation to assume a lot of these are special, special snowflakes who think the machine will magically work for them.

I know exactly the frustration of which you speak. A few auditoriums are temporarily out of order with the pre - show, so they either have visual without audio or vice versa. We've put up signs on the doors all 10 auditoriums - even the ones that are fine - and on both ticket tearing stations that the pre - show may or may not work as intended. And yet, people come storming up, screaming, "Why is the movie not playing?!?" Well, sir or madam, if you had been paying the remotest attention, you would see the signs that we put up to inform you of the ongoing issues. *headdesk*
My father, who is literate, says that if a particular sign doesn't apply to him, he doesn't read it.   Not ignores it -- does not read it.   Which causes my mother to sigh and go ::) at him -- how can you look at letters in a row and not read them?

How does he know if it applies to him or not without reading it first?

You really need to stop applying logic to this situation :D

P12663

• I can take dragons. Or give them away. Honest.
« Reply #28592 on: August 26, 2014, 12:52:23 AM »
Other than that, still lovin' this new job!

::perk:: New job? Without Stonecold?

She should be so lucky!  Different branch, same system, same director.  (I'm pretty sure I've got that right.  And I haven't been wrong in, ohh, 137 nanoseconds! >:D )

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #28593 on: August 26, 2014, 12:19:33 PM »
"Congratulations on making the team. Please don't scream." Being excited doesn't get you a free pass to disturb other people. Screaming in a dining area, even an outdoor one, is not appropriate.

Exactly.  A few months ago, DH and I were inside a fast food place eating lunch on a Saturday.  A school bus parked and discharged 20-25 young high school age (14-15) kids.  We rolled our eyes a bit to each other; this many teenagers often means lots of yelling and horseplay.  But these kids lined up, placed their orders, and ate their lunches with no problems at all.  Yes, they were excited; yes, there was a lot of chattering and laughing, but it was not in the least out of proportion or disruptive (given a fast food restaurant environment).  We overheard that they were a tennis team from a out of town high school, and had just had a very successful morning at a tennis tournament.  So yes, it is completely possible for young people to be happy and excited and still behave appropriately.

Do you know what school they were from?  I bet the school would love to hear how well-behaved their students were and how well they represented the school.

Hillia

« Reply #28594 on: August 26, 2014, 01:00:33 PM »
"Congratulations on making the team. Please don't scream." Being excited doesn't get you a free pass to disturb other people. Screaming in a dining area, even an outdoor one, is not appropriate.

Exactly.  A few months ago, DH and I were inside a fast food place eating lunch on a Saturday.  A school bus parked and discharged 20-25 young high school age (14-15) kids.  We rolled our eyes a bit to each other; this many teenagers often means lots of yelling and horseplay.  But these kids lined up, placed their orders, and ate their lunches with no problems at all.  Yes, they were excited; yes, there was a lot of chattering and laughing, but it was not in the least out of proportion or disruptive (given a fast food restaurant environment).  We overheard that they were a tennis team from a out of town high school, and had just had a very successful morning at a tennis tournament.  So yes, it is completely possible for young people to be happy and excited and still behave appropriately.

Do you know what school they were from?  I bet the school would love to hear how well-behaved their students were and how well they represented the school.

Actually, they were wearing T shirts with the school name, and I did look them up online and email the principal.  He was happy to hear it - I'm sure he dreads opening every email that starts out 'Your students came into Wendy's...'  :-)

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #28595 on: August 26, 2014, 01:21:43 PM »

Actually, they were wearing T shirts with the school name, and I did look them up online and email the principal.  He was happy to hear it - I'm sure he dreads opening every email that starts out 'Your students came into Wendy's...'  :-)

I do this regularly when I see well behaved groups. It is my form of paying it forward to a woman that stood up for my kids once.

I took a group to the Houston Fine Arts Museum. The kids were well behaved, but in one gallery the guard just ripped into them for being to loud. They weren't talking over a whisper. Because of how the room was set up + 21 kids meant their footfalls were echoing. (It was shortly after winter break, many of the kids had new shoes they had received for Christmas. Many were either a 1/2 size to a size too big, so they would last longer.)

She kept scolding them that they should be quiet like the group of 5 kids in another school group. The kids were fascinated by the display in that room but we left quickly. This woman, dressed like she was going to a Junior League Luncheon, followed us out and asked for our school information. She told my students that they had excellent museum manners.

She called our principal before we even got back to the school - praising our kids behavior. Apparently she also filed a complaint about the guard because the next day principal received 2 calls from the museum apologizing for the guard's behavior.  The kids were given an ice cream party because of the call.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Yarnspinner

« Reply #28596 on: August 26, 2014, 03:07:28 PM »
Other than that, still lovin' this new job!

::perk:: New job? Without Stonecold?

Well, almost.   Thanks to a union shakeup, the details of which would probably out me more than I want to be,  a lot of my coworkers with grievances have been shifted around.  I didn't have an grievances filed (I know what a  brick wall feels like when I run into it and it didn't seem worth the pain to do) but I kind of caught a tail wind and am possibly the only person happy with her current situation.

Stonecold is still my big boss, but I am now away from the main library and its crowd of walking wounded/reality challenged/logic impaired.  I no longer have to hear from Ninja about her zombie issues, or Crazy Titanic Man or Herbert Hoover Walked On Water Man (among others).  Instead, I am at the farthest flung branch in one of the two "nice" sections of town and everyone who uses the computers knows how to create their own email, job accounts and so on.  I'm responsible for children's programming, teen programming, reference work and making up things for the volunteers to do.  My new boss is so laid back he needs to be propped up occasionally and I now run a book club whose members come to discuss the book and not eat the food.

I haven't had an attack of IBS for a month!

It isn't all a bed of roses:  I'm still working out of classification, one of my coworkers is a thirty year old support staffer who had the fear of God put in her by my predecessor and believes that "everything has to be this way from now on", so every time I make a change, I turn around and she is insisting that it must be done the old way because Susie Said So!  And, instead of the logic impaired, our neighborhood is laden with special snowflake mommies and daddies who think nothing of walking in at ten minutes to closing and demanding that we stay open while their little angels play on the computers. 

Still, I feel so much better, I am sleeping much better and I am out of gossip central which is good because, ladies and gentlemen, in case you couldn't tell, I am a disreputable gossip who usually gets all the goods from people who mouth off in front of me. 

I like being away from the center where I don't fret, help stir the pot or otherwise whine.  It's very empowering and a lot healthier!

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #28597 on: August 26, 2014, 03:10:53 PM »
Like Retirement Lite! Wonderful to hear.
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

Yarnspinner

« Reply #28598 on: August 26, 2014, 03:20:56 PM »
And they pay me to do this!  What amazes me the most is how much actual work I am doing.  At the old job, every last one of us in my department spent our time on desk also surfing the web, playing games and so on.  At the new place, I feel neither the need or the inclination to be playing all day on the net.  As I said to a friend who wasn't so lucky "I didn't realize having a dream job would be so much work...and I love it!" 

Don't want to side track everyone from the fun part of the thread, so I return you to your regularly scheduled snowflakes!

Hillia

« Reply #28599 on: August 26, 2014, 03:29:49 PM »
This is one of DS's stories.  He works at a school that teaches 'med-spa' treatments: laser hair removal, Botox, fillers, etc.  The public can receive treatments at either the school or the spa.  Just like a beauty school, if you go to the school for your treatment you get a greatly reduced price, but a different experience than if you go to the spa and pay full price.

DS sold a package of laser hair removal treatments to a woman; so many treatments for a very reduced price.  The customer observes some strict rules about  modesty, based on her religious beliefs.  Totally understandable and not SS at all.  However, she conveniently 'forgets' every time she schedules her treatments that her discount price means that her treatments will be done in the school; there will definitely be 10-15 people there and there is almost always at least one man.  If she does not wish to disrobe in front of a mixed-gender group, she needs to schedule (and pay for) her treatments at the spa.  The terms of the deal were explained when she bought it; they are printed very clearly on the agreement she received, but DS has to spend time every month reminding her of them. 

Yesterday was her second to last treatment.  After being told (again) that she could not receive her treatment in the spa, she told DS that he was going to hell, then went around the front office telling everyone they were going to hell for violating God's principles.

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #28600 on: August 26, 2014, 04:05:37 PM »
There have been some strict requirements for Commercial Driver's Licenses (CDL) - aka, truck drivers, imposed by the Federal government.  After 3 years of sending out letters, warning CDL drivers that they needed to file certifications and get their medical cards on file, our state sent out one last blast of letters: Complete your certification by 7/31/14, or we will downgrade your license.

Two weeks later, the state started mailing out letters with just regular operator's licenses in them.  "This is your new license.  Destroy your old one.  It is no longer valid.  If you wish to reinstate your CDL, you must file a certification.  If you have proof that you filed prior to the 7/31 deadline, all fees are waived."  (We gave the drivers a receipt if they did it).

The sheer number of drivers who have been coming in, screaming that they can't work because we took away their CDL, and WHY??????  I don't know how many have admitted to me that they never bothered to read any of the letters they received, they just threw them away unopened.  It makes me wonder about the ones who threw away the envelopes with the new licenses in them, not even knowing that they are now driving illegally.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #28601 on: August 26, 2014, 04:05:47 PM »
This is one of DS's stories.  He works at a school that teaches 'med-spa' treatments: laser hair removal, Botox, fillers, etc.  The public can receive treatments at either the school or the spa.  Just like a beauty school, if you go to the school for your treatment you get a greatly reduced price, but a different experience than if you go to the spa and pay full price.

DS sold a package of laser hair removal treatments to a woman; so many treatments for a very reduced price.  The customer observes some strict rules about  modesty, based on her religious beliefs.  Totally understandable and not SS at all.  However, she conveniently 'forgets' every time she schedules her treatments that her discount price means that her treatments will be done in the school; there will definitely be 10-15 people there and there is almost always at least one man.  If she does not wish to disrobe in front of a mixed-gender group, she needs to schedule (and pay for) her treatments at the spa.  The terms of the deal were explained when she bought it; they are printed very clearly on the agreement she received, but DS has to spend time every month reminding her of them. 

Yesterday was her second to last treatment.  After being told (again) that she could not receive her treatment in the spa, she told DS that he was going to hell, then went around the front office telling everyone they were going to hell for violating God's principles.

Why can't she be banned or refunded the unused portion ? 

Enough already.

Hillia

« Reply #28602 on: August 26, 2014, 04:10:27 PM »

Why can't she be banned or refunded the unused portion ? 

Enough already.

Management is dead set against issuing refunds, but she has been marked in their appointment system so that she can't purchase any more packages or schedule appointments - it is too much hassle.  At least DS manages to get a chuckle out of it as he shakes his head.

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #28603 on: August 26, 2014, 04:49:01 PM »
I am a little aggravated over a situation last night:

I play team sports with a group that travels to tournaments.  We hired a coach to work with us before our next trip at $XXX for a four hour training session, each player owes xx dollars.  This was explained repeatedly before we set up the session and got confirmation of each player's commitment - then divided the $XXX by number of players attending to guarantee the coach's fee.  Numerous texts & emails were sent to remind everyone of the date, time and place.   

Last night one girl did not show up, she sent a text late yesterday saying she would be late but would be there. Each player paid in advance and afterwards we each owed x dollars for the difference, it was going to be a pain in the butt so leader and I split her share.  I think missing girl should have to pay her part to leader and I before she gets to play again.  Her email to our leader this morning says, "I decided I didn't want to pay for that after all so I didn't come"   

I know it's petty, money wise, but this is just another example of her lack of team work. I want to finish out this year and never compete with her again, leader feels same as do some others on the team.  She's a good player but no one is worth that amount of grief. 

She is just one of those that bats her eyelashes and acts like she is so wonderful she can't be cut...shows up late for practice and playtime, sometimes doesn't show up for practice at all, does not go eat with the group, late communicating her vote on traveling issues, etc.  This is apparently the last straw for several, including me.       

Coralreef

« Reply #28604 on: August 26, 2014, 04:50:46 PM »
I am a little aggravated over a situation last night:

I play team sports with a group that travels to tournaments.  We hired a coach to work with us before our next trip at $XXX for a four hour training session, each player owes xx dollars.  This was explained repeatedly before we set up the session and got confirmation of each player's commitment - then divided the $XXX by number of players attending to guarantee the coach's fee.  Numerous texts & emails were sent to remind everyone of the date, time and place.   

Last night one girl did not show up, she sent a text late yesterday saying she would be late but would be there. Each player paid in advance and afterwards we each owed x dollars for the difference, it was going to be a pain in the butt so leader and I split her share.  I think missing girl should have to pay her part to leader and I before she gets to play again.  Her email to our leader this morning says, "I decided I didn't want to pay for that after all so I didn't come"   

I know it's petty, money wise, but this is just another example of her lack of team work. I want to finish out this year and never compete with her again, leader feels same as do some others on the team.  She's a good player but no one is worth that amount of grief. 

She is just one of those that bats her eyelashes and acts like she is so wonderful she can't be cut...shows up late for practice and playtime, sometimes doesn't show up for practice at all, does not go eat with the group, late communicating her vote on traveling issues, etc.  This is apparently the last straw for several, including me.       

If they can replace the Pope, she can be replaced.

[/right