Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5375917 times)

lilacbunny

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2009, 09:20:36 PM »
The story about how sometimes Special Snowflakes aren't born...they are made...

Years ago my bff and I were on vacation in Orlando.  We had heard that Christina Aguilera was going to perform on the West
End stage at Pleasure Island (RIP) one night while we were there.  We weren't huge fans, but thought it would be fun and had planned to go to PI that night anyway.  We showed up much earlier than we would have otherwise to get close to the stage.  There were people a few rows deep, but nothing too bad.  We were going to have a great view.  As it got closer to showtime the DJs in the tower start telling everyone that this show "is obviously for the kids, so everyone please move back so that kids can get closer to the stage."  Huh?  We did not arrive hours early to a general admission show to be told to move back for the children who showed up two minutes ago.   >:(  As what I considered a "polite compromise" my bff and I moved to the side.  Keep in mind that we were not in the very front of the stage as it was.  We figured if we moved to the side little ones could still get a good view and we'd still get a decent view ourselves. 
Cue the suddenly empowered parents that come barreling to the front.  "It's for the chillldrrrren!"  I cannot remember the last time I saw such rudeness and entitlement from such a large group of people.  The strange part?  There weren't a lot of people there without children.  So these people were pushing past other children to get their precious little ones a better view.   ::)
For clarification-this was Christina in the "Genie" days, so they weren't considering "Dirrrty" Christina "for the chillldrrrren".   ;)  And I'm still annoyed with the DJs telling people to make way for the children...general admission is general admission, people!

arnadelecour

« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2009, 09:28:16 PM »

Years ago my bff and I were on vacation in Orlando.  We had heard that Christina Aguilera was going to perform on the West
End stage at Pleasure Island (RIP) one night while we were there.  We weren't huge fans, but thought it would be fun and had planned to go to PI that night anyway.  We showed up much earlier than we would have otherwise to get close to the stage.  There were people a few rows deep, but nothing too bad.  We were going to have a great view.  As it got closer to showtime the DJs in the tower start telling everyone that this show "is obviously for the kids, so everyone please move back so that kids can get closer to the stage."  Huh?  We did not arrive hours early to a general admission show to be told to move back for the children who showed up two minutes ago.   >:(  As what I considered a "polite compromise" my bff and I moved to the side.  Keep in mind that we were not in the very front of the stage as it was.  We figured if we moved to the side little ones could still get a good view and we'd still get a decent view ourselves. 
Cue the suddenly empowered parents that come barreling to the front.  "It's for the chillldrrrren!"  I cannot remember the last time I saw such rudeness and entitlement from such a large group of people.  The strange part?  There weren't a lot of people there without children.  So these people were pushing past other children to get their precious little ones a better view.   ::)
For clarification-this was Christina in the "Genie" days, so they weren't considering "Dirrrty" Christina "for the chillldrrrren".   ;)  And I'm still annoyed with the DJs telling people to make way for the children...general admission is general admission, people!
Wasn't PI an adult area anyways? As in 21+ to get in?

Xallanthia

• Super Hero!
« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2009, 09:32:34 PM »

Certain parts, but I seem to remember eating in a restaurant in one part when I was <21.  I may be mistaken, though.

lilacbunny

« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2009, 09:34:00 PM »

A few of the clubs were 21+, but the shops, restaurants, stage and some of the other areas were all ages.  The handful of times I was there it was always a little jarring to see tiny tots walking around with their parents late at night surrounded by nightclubs and stuff.  They always had the cutest looks on their faces like they were the coolest thing ever.   8)  (Probably not so cool for the parents trying to get them up the next morning to go to Magic Kingdom or something!)

Kiara

• My dragons!
« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2009, 11:02:14 PM »
"Pardon me...that's mah caaarrt."  (Yes, she sounded like that.)  The cart had easily been 10 feet from the woman.  In addition, SHE ALREADY HAD ONE!!!  Yes, she was trying to take two carts.  We looked at her and said "But, you weren't near it."  Nope, couldn't reason with her.  "No, but that's mah carrt."

The only problem I have with this is that at most airports you pay to get those carts.  Over $3 per cart the last time I checked, and I wouldn't be surprised if it sis $5 in some places.  Sometimes you find them standing around, but most airports are very good about putting them back in the machines. 

If the woman had paid for both carts with the reasonable expectation that she would use both, your relative was wrong to take it and stealing besides.  Had the relative offered to pay the woman for the cart, it would be different.

Nope - at Dulles at that time in international arrivals...they were free.  (This was over 10 years ago.)  I do agree that if they had been pay, it would be different.  And if the woman had said "I paid for both of these," we would have grumbled privately, but we wouldn't have taken the cart.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 11:06:10 PM by Kiara »

Trisha

• Super Hero!
« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2009, 11:24:51 PM »
My last Gyno appt. She's also an OB so she does baby deliveries.

I always show up for doctor appointments 10-20 minutes early. I figure that way, I can make sure I have time to fill out forms, and sometimes the docs are running early (though very rarely.) I always take a book to read since I usually do a bit of waiting.

Anyway, my appointment was for 12, I show up a little after 11:30. Receptionist tells me that my doc would be late, they didn't know HOW late, she was doing a delivery, and expected to be back within the hour.

Enter Princess. Princess has REALLY long acrylics. Like, comedy sketch long. So long in fact, she told the receptionist that she was going to have to fill out her forms. The receptionist actually took it in stride until Princess wanted her to dig in her purse to get the info. Receptionist declines (which I don't blame her, HUGE liability there.)

Princess gets upset, I come to the window to drop off my board. Princess tries to get ME to dig in her purse and fill out her information. I decline. Princess goes on a rant about how she was going to MAKE ::) us pay for her new set of nails if she broke them.

Princess decides no one is going to dig out her information and fill out her forms, so she sits down. A few minutes later she takes the form back and she's told that her doctor is in a delivery (we were seeing the same doctor.) She flips out. It's soooo inconvenient. She has to reschedule and she'll be late for her yearly. (Which is sort of true, if you don't book 4-6 months in advance for this doc, you can't get in.) The receptionist says that they have back up plans for when this happens, and if she has to reschedule they would make sure to get her in with our doc the same week. That's not good enough. She has a hair appointment, and a spa day planned, blah blah blah... Receptionist says if she'd like to leave, receptionist can call and let her know when the doc is back.

Not good enough for Princess. She demands they make the doc come back because, "If she's in labor, it's not like she needs her. I was in labor for like 20 hours!" God bless this receptionist, she knew she was lying, and she called her on it. Receptionist says, "Oh! You've had a child? Your forms don't mention that. I'm afraid I'll need you to fill it out to correct that information."

Princess slinks out of the office. 10 minutes later, in walks doc. I told her about Princess when I saw her and she laughed. Apparently the receptionist has a very gentle disposition, but doesn't take crap from anyone.

HonorH

« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2009, 01:29:33 AM »
Enter Princess. Princess has REALLY long acrylics. Like, comedy sketch long. So long in fact, she told the receptionist that she was going to have to fill out her forms. The receptionist actually took it in stride until Princess wanted her to dig in her purse to get the info. Receptionist declines (which I don't blame her, HUGE liability there.)

Princess gets upset, I come to the window to drop off my board. Princess tries to get ME to dig in her purse and fill out her information. I decline. Princess goes on a rant about how she was going to MAKE ::) us pay for her new set of nails if she broke them.

"You are not entitled to special assistance because you've made your hands unusable" is a sign that needs to be posted in big letters and multiple languages in every nail salon in the country.  ::)
William wondered why he always disliked people who said "no offense meant." Maybe it was because they found it easier to say "no offense meant" than actually to refrain from giving offense.

--Terry Pratchett, The Truth

bigozzy

« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2009, 05:45:23 AM »
Not sure if this totally counts, but many years ago I was at a bar watching my then-BF's pool league. It was pretty crowded and there were few seats. There was an empty barstool, so I sat down.  A few minutes later the bartender tells me I have to move because that's a "regular's" barstool.  (no, there wasn't an engraved plate - I checked!) So little 100lb me got to stand while this big beer-gutted guy sat in his special place.  ::)

Was his name Norm?  ;)

HAHAHA!!!  "Nowadays Me" would stand up and jokingly say "Sorry about that, Norm."  ;)  (I hate it when you think of the coolest comeback 13 years later!)

I once worked in a pub which had a corner that had been used as a regular place for garbage collectors finishing their shift.

This was in the days before wheelie bins and these guys were pretty huge from picking up full metal bins every day.

Their corner was also called 'blood alley' and had a sign on the bar stating as much. I am pretty sure it was a joke, I worked there 3 years and these guys never caused any problems. They actually tended to help me out when it came to problematic clients.

Anyway, most people were quite happy to move from these 'regulars' barstools when they entered en-mass.  :)

caranfin

• Super Hero!
  • I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords.
« Reply #53 on: February 04, 2009, 08:25:16 AM »
Gambitgirl's story reminded me of another collegiate special snowflake (not as special as hers, of course). While I was in college I worked for the director of student housing. One of the residents had been caught keeping a cat in her dorm room, and was required to write a 300-word essay explaining why cats were not allowed in student housing. Her essay was 300 words of whining why this was so unfair, why her cat was so special, why she should be allowed to keep it because one cat never hurt anybody, etc. And it was exactly 300 words, because she numbered each word, and stopped mid-sentence at word #300.
He was not at all afraid to be killed in nasty ways.

purplemuse

• Super Hero!
  • This is going to be super special awesome!
« Reply #54 on: February 04, 2009, 08:34:30 AM »
Speaking of dorms, I had a hallmate who apparently needed absolute silence if she was going to sleep.  She was reputed to have called security on another hallmate (note:  this is a hallmate, not a roommate) for

1) flushing the toilet
2) coughing

Azrail

• 'If all the insects on earth disappeared, within 50 years all life on earth would disappear. If all humans disappeared, within 50 years all species would flourish as never before.'
  • Sometimes square parents have round babies.
« Reply #55 on: February 04, 2009, 09:04:57 AM »
This story made my draw drop to the floor very much like that blue emoticon I don't know how to use.

My mother used to meet up with a bunch of women every week. There were about 12-15 of them and they would take turns hosting, and at these gatherings they would indulge in tea and cakes and chat and generally have a nice time. One of the women there, lets call her Bertha, is an entitlement princess. I have many stories about her, but i'll just tell the most recent one:

One of the ladies, Jane, comes back from a holiday to the motherland. Motherland is about 6 months to a year ahead in the fashions, due to being closer to France than Australia. Jane buys herself a nice handbag, and also buys her best friend in the group, Amanda, one as well. She comes back with a bunch of nice stuff for everyone else also.

So Jane is giving out everyones' gifts and Bertha is eyeing Janes bag, exclaiming over the bag, and basically letting it be known that she wants it. Jane ignores her. Bertha then cries 'Where's AMANDA'S gift?' Jane tells her that she had given Amanda's gift previously. Bertha keeps asking what it is but neither Jane nor Amanda tell her.

Next week Amanda is hosting the group at her house, and Jane is unable to attand. Everyone else turns up, including Bertha, and the regular afternoon of nibblies and tea ensues. When everyone is getting ready to leave (everyone always leaves at the same time) Bertha notices THE BAG, the one Jane gave Amanda as a gift, hanging on the coat rack. She glares at Amanda, snatches the handbag, turns it upside down and shakes everything out of it, then slings it over her own shoulder and leaves. Infront of everyone.

Amanda is so shocked she can't do anything, and once Bertha's gone, starts crying from anger and frustration. A bunch of the ladies promptly go straight over to Bertha's house, rip into her, then reclaim the bag and return it to Amanda.

At every gathering Bertha still comments on the bag, but everyone just ignores her. I don't even know while they still up with her, to be honest.

I have more but I will post tomorrow.
Wherever you are... that's where you happen to have gone.

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #56 on: February 04, 2009, 09:17:32 AM »
Azrail, I don't know why they put up with her either.  Frankly, Amanda could have pressed charges, since Bertha stole the bag.  It was probably easier to just have everyone go over and berate her into giving it back (since they all saw her walk off with it), but that's no reason to continue to associate with a known thief.

I'm rather shocked about that, actually.

Lauren

« Reply #57 on: February 04, 2009, 09:21:23 AM »
At every gathering Bertha still comments on the bag, but everyone just ignores her. I don't even know while they still up with her, to be honest.

WHAT? They're still friends with this creature?

Azrail

• 'If all the insects on earth disappeared, within 50 years all life on earth would disappear. If all humans disappeared, within 50 years all species would flourish as never before.'
  • Sometimes square parents have round babies.
« Reply #58 on: February 04, 2009, 09:25:30 AM »
Azrail, I don't know why they put up with her either.  Frankly, Amanda could have pressed charges, since Bertha stole the bag.  It was probably easier to just have everyone go over and berate her into giving it back (since they all saw her walk off with it), but that's no reason to continue to associate with a known thief.

I'm rather shocked about that, actually.

Dindrane, tell me about it, it drives me absolutely crazy! My father has forbidden Bertha from going to their house, but I think the main problem with all this is that they (the ladies) have the 'Oh, that's just Bertha for you' attitude. I tell mum they should all stop enabling her but I don't think they will do anything, they haven't done anything for the past 10 years, why would they start now? They are all just a big bunch of... enablers.   >:(
Wherever you are... that's where you happen to have gone.

Ender

« Reply #59 on: February 04, 2009, 10:44:56 AM »
This might be my new favorite thread! My stories aren't quite as special as everyone else's, but I found them crazy.

1. A few years ago, I was working in a medium-size (about 100+employees) engineering firm. Most of them were men who had graduated from some of the best Technical schools in the nation, and most of them had egos to go along with their pricey diplomas. As the file clerk (and a graphic design major to boot), I was sort of thought of as less important. And I often brought my lunch to work. That is, until one day I caught one of the project managers taking my lunch out of the fridge and leaving it on the counter so he could fit his in there instead.  ::)

2. I was halfway through backing out of a space at LargeChainStore (like, my car is mostly in the aisle) when Snowflake speeds up behind me and STOPS. And WAITS. As my driver's side window is IN THE AISLE, I can see a family with 2 huge carts loading stuff into their excellent space a few spots down from me.

I rolled down my window and waved, then honked my horn to get Snowflake's attention, but she flipped me off. It took a full 6 minutes for Snowflake to move.  :-\