Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5537386 times)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #6480 on: November 10, 2010, 07:30:10 PM »

Oh yeah - people do this to bears as well. Think they are cute and fuzzy and a photo-op and then they get attacked.

And then the sue the city/state.
Or the stories that you hear and wince because you know what's coming -- people who smear their children's cheeks with honey or jam, so they can get a picture of the bear "kissing" the kids.  :o :o

It's really saddening that children get hurt because their parents have room-temperature IQs.  :'(
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Skoffin

• I am not a fish
  • The greatest Skoffin that ever Skoffed
« Reply #6481 on: November 10, 2010, 08:10:58 PM »
I had a SS on the tube the other day.

The platform was quite busy, when the train pulled in I was at the front by the door. The train was also quite packed but a lot of people get off at this stop. When the train  stopped I was still in the front of everyone, then stepped to the left out of the doorway so people could off the train first. SS was closer to the right side of the door, and stayed in the way of the people getting off. Most people were coming through the right hand side, whereas there was a slither of space down the left hand side where I was. However you're supposed to let people off first before getting on, thus I was not about to push through all those people. Instead, SS steps in front of the people getting off to go around, push through me and then go through that space.  ::)

Because I seem desperate not to get back to writing my novel, I ended up drawing this incase I wasn't clear. I'm red, SS is green.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #6482 on: November 10, 2010, 08:31:37 PM »
Cute sketch, Skoffin ;D

Rude snowflake  >:(
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #6483 on: November 10, 2010, 08:33:23 PM »
I remember a news story - seems there was a lagoon near an apartment complex of some kind in Florida with BIG signs about not feeding, teasing, or harrassing the alligators.

Police got a call about a woman beating on a gator..........turns out that it had grabbed her little dog when she was walking along the side of the lake with her dog on a leash and the leash had apparently gotten wrapped around the gator's mouth - keeping it shut (so it wasn't attacking her as effectively as it might otherwise - smaller gator, too).  She was apparently trying to knock it out so she could pull her dog out of its mouth........

I have no idea how that played out - but I'm pretty sure it wasn't a good ending for the dog.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Pinky830

« Reply #6484 on: November 10, 2010, 08:50:27 PM »
I was chatting with a woman at the pool at my MIL's beach condo once. Her 3-4 year old daughter piped up with, "After lunch we're going to feed the alligators!"

I smiled vaguely at the kid and looked blankly at the mom. "Gators?"

"Yeah! They're in that little swampy area across the road. We go and feed them crackers and stuff!"

I was speechless at this woman telling me with a straight face that she was taking her small child to feed large, dangerous, quick predators for fun. I still regret not calling in a tip to the game warden. I never read anything about a gator mauling anyone there so I guess it didn't end tragically, but...seriously?

JadeAngel

« Reply #6485 on: November 10, 2010, 09:15:43 PM »

Not really a SS story, but it's about alligators...

We just got back from Florida (Ft. Myers) and we took a day trip to the Everglades.

We found a perfect spot to see the 'gators in their natural habitat. There were signs every couple of feet (maybe 50 feet apart) stating not to "feed or harass wildlife".

I wondered how one can "harass" an alligator...we joked that maybe it was calling them bad names or something..

But then I got serious and said that it was because of some idiot who probably did something stupid to a WILD alligator!

There's a reason for all those weird warning signs. We did take a picture of it.

ginlyn

Not sure how you harass an alligator, but this is how you harass a full grown saltwater crocodile.

http://www.ntnews.com.au/article/2009/11/19/102191_ntnews.html

(Short version - two female tourists find a floating croc trap in the Northern Territory and decide to take pictures of themselves standing on it. Fortunately for them it did not contain a live croc at the time and they still have all their legs and arms)

Special Snowflakiness coupled with Professional Darwinism... special!

Fleur-de-Lis

• Dum Vivimus, Vivamus!
« Reply #6486 on: November 10, 2010, 10:10:39 PM »
I had a SS on the tube the other day.

The platform was quite busy, when the train pulled in I was at the front by the door. The train was also quite packed but a lot of people get off at this stop. When the train  stopped I was still in the front of everyone, then stepped to the left out of the doorway so people could off the train first. SS was closer to the right side of the door, and stayed in the way of the people getting off. Most people were coming through the right hand side, whereas there was a slither of space down the left hand side where I was. However you're supposed to let people off first before getting on, thus I was not about to push through all those people. Instead, SS steps in front of the people getting off to go around, push through me and then go through that space.  ::)

Because I seem desperate not to get back to writing my novel, I ended up drawing this incase I wasn't clear. I'm red, SS is green.

I decided to not take that train and to wait 15 minutes for the next one, if that's the train I think it was.  It's certainly a familiar scenario.  :)

Emma
   Finally we shall place the Sun himself at the center of the Universe.

JoW

« Reply #6487 on: November 10, 2010, 11:28:41 PM »
I was chatting with a woman at the pool at my MIL's beach condo once. Her 3-4 year old daughter piped up with, "After lunch we're going to feed the alligators!".....
Actually, I know of one place where that can be done safely. 

The Battleship Willmington - use buy the US Navy during WWII - has been retired to Wilmington, NC.  It is in the Cape Fear river and is open to tourists.  It shares it docking space with  wild alligator named Charlie.  Tourists routinly stand on the battle ship and throw crackers down to Charlie. 

I've seen Charlie.  20 years ago he was about 8 feet long.  There have been a couple of hurricanes in that area since my last visit.  I don't know if he is still around. 

Fliss

• Australia - the land that time forgot.
« Reply #6488 on: November 11, 2010, 12:02:51 AM »
Quote from: JadeAngel
Not sure how you harass an alligator, but this is how you harass a full grown saltwater crocodile.

The situation isn't helped by the NT and WA governments actually encouraging tour-boat operators to entice salties to jump for dead chickens.

Yes, it makes for very spiffy pictures, but you're teaching crocs that boats=Humans=food and that can't be good. It would be like tossing burly in the water and then snapping pics of great whites breaching to get the bucket.

Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

JadeAngel

« Reply #6489 on: November 11, 2010, 12:49:13 AM »
Quote from: JadeAngel

The situation isn't helped by the NT and WA governments actually encouraging tour-boat operators to entice salties to jump for dead chickens.

Yes, it makes for very spiffy pictures, but you're teaching crocs that boats=Humans=food and that can't be good. It would be like tossing burly in the water and then snapping pics of great whites breaching to get the bucket.

And then saying 'My it's warm isn't it, I think I'll go for a swim...'

Dinner is served...

Redsoil

« Reply #6490 on: November 11, 2010, 07:33:35 AM »
I do think that some types of people think that life is their own personal movie, where bad things don't happen and other people jump to serve them.  That'd go a long way to explain the iidjits who tease crocs and 'gators, AND the special snowflakes in other areas of life.

I can just picture them, wafting through life to swelling strains of music, and an adoring audience.    ::)
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

newbiePA

• Outside the Marinara Zone- our new blog :)
« Reply #6491 on: November 11, 2010, 07:47:23 AM »
I was chatting with a woman at the pool at my MIL's beach condo once. Her 3-4 year old daughter piped up with, "After lunch we're going to feed the alligators!".....

The Battleship Willmington - use buy the US Navy during WWII - has been retired to Wilmington, NC.  It is in the Cape Fear river and is open to tourists.  It shares it docking space with  wild alligator named Charlie.  Tourists routinly stand on the battle ship and throw crackers down to Charlie. 

I've seen Charlie.  20 years ago he was about 8 feet long.  There have been a couple of hurricanes in that area since my last visit.  I don't know if he is still around. 

PSST

Battleship North Carolina.  And sadly, Charlie has moved on :(
Not such a newbie anymore

Musicwoman

« Reply #6492 on: November 11, 2010, 07:58:57 AM »
There was a recent case of a near-Darwin award of a very Special Snowflake in Western Australia, at the Broome Crocodile Farm.  It featured a large saltwater crocodile; these are larger and considerably faster and more aggressive than alligators.

A man climbed over several fences so he could sit on the crocodile's back.  Alcohol was involved.

By the grace of God the fool attempted this on a relatively cold night; the crocodile was a bit sluggish and only managed to rip his leg open.  He was sufficiently anaethsitised by alcohol and adreneline to go back to the bar, where he continued drinking while waiting for the ambulance to arrive.

Seriously, you can't make this stuff up. 
Changing the world...one Thank You note at a time.

Redsoil

« Reply #6493 on: November 11, 2010, 08:23:38 AM »
Yup.  Sounds like an Aussie.
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

tarheel220

« Reply #6494 on: November 11, 2010, 08:24:50 AM »

It's actually the USS North Carolina.  ;D