Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5654838 times)

Eisa

• Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #8235 on: March 06, 2011, 04:25:02 AM »
Er...pregnancy discounts? :o What? No, you do not get a discount just because you happen to be growing a baby inside you...goodness. Bad enough to have those expectant mom/mom parking spaces [let's not get into a discussion of those, ok? :) ], but those are understandable. A discount just for being pregnant on the other hand, is not.

Unless I can get a discount for um...how about being left-handed? ;D
"And neither the angels in heaven above, nor the demons down under the sea can ever dissever my soul from the soul of the beautiful Annabel Lee"
Idaho

Stormtreader

« Reply #8236 on: March 06, 2011, 06:37:31 AM »
How I avoid being a gas station SS:  We have five vehicles... for two drivers.... it's hubby's hobby and keeps him sober!  He likes engines and playing with them; me - I can't even stand the smell of gas.  He takes care of the cars, including gassing them up.  About once every few months, I wind up having to fill up the car I'm driving.  For the life of me, I cannot remember where gas tanks are... I stop before pulling up to the pumps, call hubby and ask "where's the tank"?.  He tells me and then I position my car so I don't block anyone or go the wrong way!

If it weren't for him and cell phones, I'd having everyone at the station honking at me.....

Just as a suggestion - how about getting some kind of small sticker and putting it somewhere discrete on the dashboard to indicate which side the tank is on in that car? Might save you some cell phone charges :D

JadeGirl

« Reply #8237 on: March 06, 2011, 06:43:20 AM »
How I avoid being a gas station SS:  We have five vehicles... for two drivers.... it's hubby's hobby and keeps him sober!  He likes engines and playing with them; me - I can't even stand the smell of gas.  He takes care of the cars, including gassing them up.  About once every few months, I wind up having to fill up the car I'm driving.  For the life of me, I cannot remember where gas tanks are... I stop before pulling up to the pumps, call hubby and ask "where's the tank"?.  He tells me and then I position my car so I don't block anyone or go the wrong way!

If it weren't for him and cell phones, I'd having everyone at the station honking at me.....

Just as a suggestion - how about getting some kind of small sticker and putting it somewhere discrete on the dashboard to indicate which side the tank is on in that car? Might save you some cell phone charges :D

I've noticed that in some car brands the fuel gauge is on the side of the display where the filler cap is.  So for my Subaru, the fuel gauge is on the left-hand side of the display, which is the passenger side (I'm in Australia).  It seems to work well for Japanese cars.

artisticgal

• Cats are like potato chips, you can't have just 1!
« Reply #8238 on: March 06, 2011, 06:46:16 AM »
More hotel fun:

Last night a co-worker kicked out a group of teens who were having a party in one of the rooms. The brother (who was 25) of one of the kids got a room, handed his room key off to his sister and then took off. The kids snuck in the back entrance and proceeded to throw a party. At about 9pm co-worker gets a noise complaint, checks it out, and then called the cops because she was hearing things breaking in the room.

Co-worker waits till the cops get there, and then opens the door to find 8 kids ages 16-18 jumping on the beds, smoking, and drinking. Cops arrest all of the kids, and then sit them down in the conference room to await their parents arrival. Cops also confiscate all the alcohol in the room as evidence.

We had 3 parents get upset that the cops confiscated the alcohol that was in the room and demanded it back. Cops said no.

Most of the parents also got pissed off that the citation for underage drinking is $150 plus a mandatory court appearance and are also livid that we are prosecuting the kids for the damage that they caused to the room. The damage exceeded $10,000 USD so not prosecuting is not an option. They broke a bed, TV, sink, air conditoner, toilet, 2 chairs and a desk, and also put several holes in the walls. And the room is out of commission untill further notice.

I don't work in a hotel, I work in an SS breeding ground.
Wasabi is a spicy Japanese condiment best enjoyed with sushi, and never, repeat, never enjoyed alone.

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #8239 on: March 06, 2011, 07:03:34 AM »
More hotel fun:

Last night a co-worker kicked out a group of teens who were having a party in one of the rooms. The brother (who was 25) of one of the kids got a room, handed his room key off to his sister and then took off. The kids snuck in the back entrance and proceeded to throw a party. At about 9pm co-worker gets a noise complaint, checks it out, and then called the cops because she was hearing things breaking in the room.

Co-worker waits till the cops get there, and then opens the door to find 8 kids ages 16-18 jumping on the beds, smoking, and drinking. Cops arrest all of the kids, and then sit them down in the conference room to await their parents arrival. Cops also confiscate all the alcohol in the room as evidence.

We had 3 parents get upset that the cops confiscated the alcohol that was in the room and demanded it back. Cops said no.

Most of the parents also got pissed off that the citation for underage drinking is $150 plus a mandatory court appearance and are also livid that we are prosecuting the kids for the damage that they caused to the room. The damage exceeded $10,000 USD so not prosecuting is not an option. They broke a bed, TV, sink, air conditoner, toilet, 2 chairs and a desk, and also put several holes in the walls. And the room is out of commission untill further notice.

I can so relate! When I worked at a hotel in Wausau we had to call the cops to evict some guests because they got their three warnings.  They were underage and the police counted over 120 empty beer cans. They were also smoking in a non-smoking room and had incense going- to cover other smoking odors, we guessed.  The parents were outraged that we charged them an extra cleaning fee, a deodorizing fee and several different fees.

We also made them claim all of their personal items- the disco ball, the book box, etc.- from the police department since we had no way of knowing who the stuff actually belonged to.  That didn't make us popular either.

As for the gas cap issue- check the little picture of the gas pump on your dashboard.  Many of them have the hose on the side of the gas cap.  Mine does not, but has a little arrow pointing to the drivers' side.

marcel

« Reply #8240 on: March 06, 2011, 07:24:50 AM »
One more thing for the gas cap.

If you pull forward far enough, and park close enough to the pump, you can also pump gas on the side of the car away from the pump. (I will not wait for a pump on the left side of my car to become available, if there are other pumps available.)
Wherever you go..... There you are.

MissRose

« Reply #8241 on: March 06, 2011, 08:48:34 AM »
Yes, hotels can be breeding grounds for snowflakes, and I don't work in one but know people (family/friends) who could tell me all kinds of stories about patrons they have encountered (and fellow worker snowflakes too).

Things I've heard them complain about include (and the hotel can't control):

*Customers demanding certain items for the free breakfast that the hotel doesn't offer

*Kids/teens allowed to roam the halls and making noise

*Kids/teens not supervised well or not at all in the pool area(s)

*People trashing rooms.  I can understand leaving a bed unmade or towels left on the edge of the bathtub.  But to leave food trash/wrappers strewn around from an all night computer gaming thing or watching tv etc, isn't good.

*Parking options & costs

*Not enough nearby places to eat and/or shop

LeeLee88

« Reply #8242 on: March 06, 2011, 08:58:58 AM »
Yes, hotels can be breeding grounds for snowflakes, and I don't work in one but know people (family/friends) who could tell me all kinds of stories about patrons they have encountered (and fellow worker snowflakes too).

Things I've heard them complain about include (and the hotel can't control):

*Customers demanding certain items for the free breakfast that the hotel doesn't offer

*Kids/teens allowed to roam the halls and making noise

*Kids/teens not supervised well or not at all in the pool area(s)

*People trashing rooms.  I can understand leaving a bed unmade or towels left on the edge of the bathtub.  But to leave food trash/wrappers strewn around from an all night computer gaming thing or watching tv etc, isn't good.

*Parking options & costs

*Not enough nearby places to eat and/or shop

I've had co-workers tell me I'm crazy for cleaning up my room before I leave because "It's the maid's job, that's what she gets paid to do!"  No, she gets paid to tidy up and do a basic rundown which ought to take her only so many minutes, and that's all she's allotted for.  If I leave a gigantic, stinky mess, it could make her very late getting to other rooms, which means that others might not be able to check in on time, etc.  But more than anything, she's not my slave, and shouldn't have to put up with my crap.  Ta da!!  ::)

On behalf of all of us messy but polite people everywhere, I would like to apologize for our brethren who don't seem to have a clue.

DangerMouth

• Work as if you were in the early days of a better nation.
  • Super Hero!
  • Everybody Gets Ice Cream!
« Reply #8243 on: March 06, 2011, 09:30:56 AM »
Well, maids are paid to clean the room, not just 'tidy' it up. But you can certainly make it easier on them.

I clean up the room a bit just to make sure I haven't left anything behind. So all trash is in the garbage, all towels are in the bathtub, and all the bedding is shook out and piled on the bed, and I've made sure my cell phone charger or book isn't hiding somewhere.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 09:33:50 AM by DangerMouth »

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8244 on: March 06, 2011, 09:42:27 AM »

I've noticed that in some car brands the fuel gauge is on the side of the display where the filler cap is.  So for my Subaru, the fuel gauge is on the left-hand side of the display, which is the passenger side (I'm in Australia).  It seems to work well for Japanese cars.
Both of our vehicles have the gas tank on the same side, so that's not our 'fueling problem'.  Ours is the dashboard layout.  DH's truck's fuel gauge is on the left side of the steering wheel.  On my van, that spot is taken by the engine temperature gauge.  So we get in the van, I'm driving, and DH says "We need go to the gas station first thing -- you're running on fumes!" 

No, dear, the engine is cold.  I have a full tank.  ::)
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #8245 on: March 06, 2011, 10:03:28 AM »

I have tanked gas in the US, but I do not remember gasstation layout there. I thought gas stations were the same there as in Europe.

Over here half the spots ar on the left side of a gas pump, and have the spots are on the right side of a gas pump, this way with the gas tank on either side you should be able to pump gas.

Layour of a gas station, whereby pumps are always 2-sided.

[car] [pump] [car] [car] [pump] [car] [car] [pump]

That is the layout - but the cars were going different directions. The lines are at the front of the car. So all the cars were lined up so that the driver's side was closet to the pump.

|                             |
[car] [pump] [car] [car] [pump] [car] [car] [pump]
   |                             |                           |

There is a place down the street that has signs up that say to do this
    |                   |        |                  |       |                  |
[car] [pump] [car] [car] [pump] [car] [car] [pump][car]

So 1/2 the cars are lined up with the drivers side towards the pump and 1/2 with the passenger side towards the pump. I've actually avoided that station because I've seen some nasty road rage at stations and with the recent up in prices - I'm afraid something might break out there starting with someone going the wrong way.

I'm also leaving early to go anywhere in case I have to detour. There is a major intersection just outside my subdivision. All the exits from my subdivision use one or the other of those 2 roads. Last time prices sky rocketed I got trapped in a melee caused by the stations on that corner getting into a price war. The lines going out of both stations effectively blocked traffic in all 4 directions. People were out of their cars yelling. I was afraid someone was going to pull a gun. When I called 911 the operator told me that there were multiple cops on the seen and more were coming. They lost the business of most of my subdivision over that. Many of my neighbors boycotted the stations. I was trapped in that mess for an hour.

To complicate matters now - one of the roads is being expanded and  has 2 large deep holes were the esplanade used to be.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8246 on: March 06, 2011, 10:05:58 AM »
More hotel fun:

What scares me is that this is the behavior I would expect from parents who raise children who do this.

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #8247 on: March 06, 2011, 10:07:33 AM »
More hotel fun:

And that brings so many entertaining stories to us! We can't be grateful enough.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8248 on: March 06, 2011, 10:10:11 AM »
Well, maids are paid to clean the room, not just 'tidy' it up. But you can certainly make it easier on them.

I clean up the room a bit just to make sure I haven't left anything behind. So all trash is in the garbage, all towels are in the bathtub, and all the bedding is shook out and piled on the bed, and I've made sure my cell phone charger or book isn't hiding somewhere.

The way I explain it to my students is the custodians are paid to maintain the school not clean up their messes. I feel the same way about the maids in hotels. I leave the room neat so they can do their job.

DangerMouth

• Work as if you were in the early days of a better nation.
  • Super Hero!
  • Everybody Gets Ice Cream!
« Reply #8249 on: March 06, 2011, 10:45:36 AM »

The way I explain it to my students is the custodians are paid to maintain the school not clean up their messes. I feel the same way about the maids in hotels. I leave the room neat so they can do their job.

It's the same reasoning as 'cleaning for the cleaner'. When I had a housecleaner coming in every week, I would make sure that stuff was picked up and put away. She was there for 4 hours and I wanted her to vacuum the house, dust the LR, mop the kitchen floor and clean all kitchen surfaces, clean the bathroom top to bottom, plus do an extra job like wiping out the fridge, waxing the cabinet doors, or cleaning the oven on a rotating basis.

So it made sense to me to tidy up as best I could, so that she could get right to the real cleaning. If I left dirty dishes in the sink, and junk and clothes all over the place, she'd be taking time to do the 'easy' stuff (plus she wouldn't even know where to put things), and not doing the jobs I was paying her to do.

Hotel maids have to:

-Clean the bathroom top-to-bottom
-Vacuum the room
-Change the bedding
-Remove all trash
-Wipe all surfaces
-Replenish all supplies (coffee, cups, soap, towels, etc.)

If you haven't cleaned your spilt coffee or makeup off the counter, or haven't tossed your food garbage and FF wrappers, they have to clean that up too, but they shouldn't have to, as no self-respecting adult should be leaving that kind of mess for someone else to clean up, IMO.