Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 4430707 times)

missmolly

Special Snowflake Stories
« on: February 03, 2009, 01:11:18 AM »
Here's my encounter with a Special Snowflake:

My mother and I were in line at the supermarket a few years ago. I think I would have been about fifteen. We were loading things onto the conveyor belt when my mother was 'tapped' on the shoulder, (she later told me that she had been poked, hard). She turns to this woman who has a full trolley and a baby in the child seat. Rather than bother with polite requests Madame Special Snowflake says to my mother: 'I have a child'
Mum, bless her, points to me and says: 'Me too! Aren't they great'. The woman made rather loud sighs as our transaction was completed, but thankfully, she didn't try to pull the baby card on anyone else.

So, fellow e-hellions, how have you dealt with those who think they're just a little bit more important than the common folk, for whatever reason.
"Any idiot can face a crisis, it is this day-to-day living that wears you out". Chekhov.

Namárië

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 01:35:50 AM »
Hehe, I like your response!
Competence is a trap!
I mostly don't make stuff, but sometimes I do: http://initiationcreation.blogspot.com

SisJackson

• Wear Sunscreen!
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 03:41:01 AM »
It's been more than a few years, but I went to opening night of [Huge Blockbuster Movie] with a friend and in order to get good seats, we arrived at the theater an hour and a half in advance.  We were the first patrons in line and when they opened the door and we went in, we found that there was a pair of seats right in the middle of the theater that were missing entirely.  Score!  We sat down behind the empty space, knowing that we would not be subjected to the tallest person in the crowd sitting right in front of me (why does that always happen?) and we would have a spectacular view of the screen.  Needless to say the two of us exchanged a high-five at our good fortune and advance planning.

As the theater filled, many people congratulated us on our stellar seats.  A few asked how we'd gotten so fortunate, and then nodded in understanding when we said we'd gotten there ridiculously early.

Eventually, it was down to about ten minutes before the previews were set to begin, and there were only four seats left in our row; two at each end.  That was when the Special Snowflakes Double Date Couples arrived.

"Excuse me!  Excuse me!"  one of the guys called down the row.  "Would all of you folks please move down into the empty seats?  Thanks!"  A couple of the people beyond us began to shuffle down to the seats to the end.  My friend and I looked at each other and decided that no, we would not be moving.

When the seats to our right opened up, we turned to the people to our left and said, "If you guys want to move into these empty seats, we'll let you past us, but we're not going to give up these seats."  The couple decided that they didn't want to move either.  The pair next to them apparently considered moving into the empty seats by us, but before they could do so, the people that had all just moved right moved back to their previous places, again making it so that the only empty seats in the row were the pair on the far right and the pair on the far left.

The Snowflake Spokesman started up again.  "ExCUSE me, people, but we need FOUR seats together.  You all are going to have to move!"

Someone said, pointing to us, "They said they weren't going to move, and if they aren't going to move then neither are we."  The Snowflakes' attention was then riveted on us.

"You won't move?" said the guy.

"No, we're not moving," my friend said coolly.  "We got here almost two hours ago, and we hand-picked these seats.  We're staying in them.  Would you give these seats up?"  He gestured at the completely empty space in front of us.

"So you're not moving," he said.

"No, we're staying here," my friend reiterated.

"We'll see about that," the guy said, and the two guys marched out of the theater, leaving their dates to hover in the aisle.  The gentlemen returned momentarily, a theater employee in tow.  "You need to help us get four seats together," the guy said to the employee.

The theater employee called down the row and asked if everyone was willing to move down two seats.  My friend piped up again.  "No, we are not going to move, but we will let people go past us if they want to."

Another person in the row spoke up.  "Do we have to move?  Or is it optional?"

"Well, you don't have to," said the usher.

The other patron continued.  "Well, I don't think any of us should have to move.  We all got here really early to make sure we got good seats.  I don't think any of us should be punished because other people can't be bothered to plan."  At that, there was a smattering of applause from nearby people.

There was a hushed conference between the four double-daters and the theater employee, after which all five left the theater.  We learned from the people nearest the end of the row that they'd been offered a refund of their ticket price.

purplemuse

• Super Hero!
  • This is going to be super special awesome!
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 08:45:30 AM »
I was working in a college bookstore for the past month, and one customer really took the cake.

BG:  this was a teeny-tiny bookstore that was kind of an offshoot of the larger store on another campus.  Occasionally, we would run out of certain books, and need to have more shipped from the other campus.  Also, the school also has a lot of students who are scheduling classes around their jobs.

One woman came in, and it turned out that a couple of the books she needed were out of stock.  So the woman asked if the bookstore would ship them to her house.  Fair enough, you never know, some places might do that.

Well, this bookstore didn't.  I don't think they ever do that sort of thing, but especially not in this case because of security issues with the way she was paying.

That wasn't good enough for this woman.  She went off on the manager about how she had to work, and how ridiculous it was that she'd have to come all the way back to the bookstore to pick up her books.

She even reported the manager to the store's higher-ups over this  ::)

In the end, the books came in from the other campus the very next day, and the woman managed to make it in to pick them up.

Firecat

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 09:14:43 AM »
The theater employee called down the row and asked if everyone was willing to move down two seats.  My friend piped up again.  "No, we are not going to move, but we will let people go past us if they want to."

The other patron continued.  "Well, I don't think any of us should have to move.  We all got here really early to make sure we got good seats.  I don't think any of us should be punished because other people can't be bothered to plan."  At that, there was a smattering of applause from nearby people.

There was a hushed conference between the four double-daters and the theater employee, after which all five left the theater.  We learned from the people nearest the end of the row that they'd been offered a refund of their ticket price.

I love this! I really, really hate it when the theater employees stand in the theater and start yelling at everyone to "move in." I understand that this means that the showing is likely sold out. And I know that it's annoying to have to get past people. But I don't think that I should have to move out of the seat I got there early to be able to pick out, just for the convenience of those who chose to get there later, and who should have been well aware that the movie in question is very popular (recent examples would be Iron Man and The Dark Knight). DH and I get there early so that we can get seats we want, and so that we can sit together.

It wasn't wrong for them to ask people to move, but it was definitely wrong for them to demand it. And, I think, definitely wrong for them to try to get the theater employee to "force" you to move. I understand why the theater offered the refund (honestly, I wouldn't have wanted to deal with the Special Snowflakes any longer than I had to, either), but I don't think they should have had to. I don't think there's any guarantee that you'll be able to find exactly the seats you want...especially not ten minutes before the showing of a popular movie.

HermioneGranger

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 09:43:08 AM »
What it is about movie theaters that brings out the worst of people?   ???  I'm another one who gets there early for a good seat, and I'll be darned if I'm going to move for someone who can't manage their time better. 

Xallanthia

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 09:46:41 AM »

I love this! I really, really hate it when the theater employees stand in the theater and start yelling at everyone to "move in." I understand that this means that the showing is likely sold out. And I know that it's annoying to have to get past people. But I don't think that I should have to move out of the seat I got there early to be able to pick out, just for the convenience of those who chose to get there later, and who should have been well aware that the movie in question is very popular (recent examples would be Iron Man and The Dark Knight). DH and I get there early so that we can get seats we want, and so that we can sit together.

It wasn't wrong for them to ask people to move, but it was definitely wrong for them to demand it. And, I think, definitely wrong for them to try to get the theater employee to "force" you to move. I understand why the theater offered the refund (honestly, I wouldn't have wanted to deal with the Special Snowflakes any longer than I had to, either), but I don't think they should have had to. I don't think there's any guarantee that you'll be able to find exactly the seats you want...especially not ten minutes before the showing of a popular movie.

See, at an opening weekend showing of a big movie, a sold-out show, I don't mind the ushers asking people to move down, as long as it isn't a big move.  Many times, at movie theaters, people leave a seat between themselves and the next party, which is inconvenient at a sold-out show.  If it's myself and 2 other people, for example, I usually look for the combination 1 seat->group->two seats, and ask the group nicely if they'd mind moving down one seat.  IMO, that's normal, and polite, and moving one seat won't usually change the group's experience significantly.

However, in the situation this poster described the people were certainly being rude.  There were four of them and two sets of two seats... if it was a double date, they could just split up, and deal, rather than move the ENTIRE row.  (I would never ask the entire row to move, either).  Or if it was all just friends, same deal.  Just split up, it isn't a big deal.  It's not as though someone would've had to sit alone.

I do have to say, if it was the same situation but with one seat to either side of the poster and her friend, there weren't other seats available, and I asked nicely if they minded moving down just one seat so DH and I could sit together, I'd probably think they were being rather selfish if they said no.  I try to arrive at a theater soon enough to have my pick of seats, but sometimes it just isn't possible.

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 09:50:24 AM »
This was years ago and I honestly can't remember how it was handled, if it even was.

I was at a local grocery store and at that time, you could buy stamps at the customer service desk (now they sell them right at the register).  That particular day, I was on my lunch break and there was a bit of a line for stamps and other customer service issues.  Our Special Snowflake breezed to the front of the line and cut in front of the person who was next.  When the people in line protested, she turned around and informed us all that SHE was on her lunch break and needed to go first.

OOOOHHHHH.  Well in that case... ::)

Then there was day we caught a neighbor lifting her dog OVER our fence (it was short, probably less than 3 feet tall) so he could do his business in our yard.  When my DH told her to take a hike, she became very indignant and informed him that Mr. Fluffykins did NOT like to poop on cement and needed grass.  We now have a 6 foot fence.  Not because of the dog but it sure solved that problem.  Who knows how long she had been doing this, we did have the occasional mystery poo in the yard but one of our tenants had a dog and we thought it was him (and blaming him for something he probably didn't even do.   :-\)  

Firecat

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009, 10:00:16 AM »
I do have to say, if it was the same situation but with one seat to either side of the poster and her friend, there weren't other seats available, and I asked nicely if they minded moving down just one seat so DH and I could sit together, I'd probably think they were being rather selfish if they said no.  I try to arrive at a theater soon enough to have my pick of seats, but sometimes it just isn't possible.

Normally, I'd agree with you. I don't mind so much being asked - nicely - to move a seat or two over by an individual patron. But for some reason, when it's the usher standing there yelling at the whole theater, I find it annoying. And when I'm settled in my seat, with my coat, purse, popcorn, etc., it is kind of irritating to have to pick up everything and shift over. But maybe it has more to do with the yelling than with the request itself.

In the situation in the OP, though, with the gap in front of them, I don't think the OP would be selfish to refuse to move one seat over. If it wouldn't change the experience significantly, sure. But, in this particular situation, it would have changed the OP's experience. As a...er..."vertically challenged" person myself, I can appreciate how great it was for the OP to find seats where no one would be blocking the view of the screen. So it was arguably a somewhat unique situation.

TylerBelle

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2009, 10:06:14 AM »
Madame Special Snowflake says to my mother: 'I have a child'
Mum, bless her, points to me and says: 'Me too! Aren't they great'.
Hee! Perfect!

This came to mind, I don't know if it's conveys pure Snowflake behavior, but I think it could be a relative. I'd stopped to by the supermarket's customer service to get stamps (if I remember correctly) one day and there was a lady in a wheelchair (WL) being assisted/pushed by a store employee (SE) right in front of me. After WL was through, the SE deposited her to the side for someone was going to come get her. I didn't move up immediately in order to give room for the SE to get WL settled and move away herself. Though perhaps I'd waited a bit too long for right as I stepped to the counter, WL had grabbed its edge and promptly pulled herself back in front of the line, I had to jump back to get out of her way. Her business was finished, she just sat there, sideways, like an obstacle between the line and the desk. She turned to glare at me, which at my height we were nearly eye level. I had to conduct my business - buying my stamps over her. I got out of there as quick as I could, though I guess until she was fetched, I supposed everyone else in line had to work around her, too.
Always be on the lookout for wonder. --E.B. White

Keres

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2009, 10:12:19 AM »
Way back when, I came out of the house to go to class and found Special Snowflake getting out of her car.  Which she had parked behind my car.  In my driveway.  To go to a party two doors down.  Her reasoning?  'Oh, I don't like parking in the street, and I'm running late so I didn't want to walk from the parking lot at the park.'

I walked to the store, purchased a sign saying tenant parking only, other vehicles will be towed, posted it, and called the police.

oogyda

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2009, 10:23:57 AM »
At a company I worked for, in order to receive a "Paid in Full" receipt, the customer must pay with cash just in case their check were to bounce.  They had to have this receipt in order to carry out the next step in local government dealings. 

One gentleman came in with a briefcase and demanded we lock the doors while his transaction is being handled.  He had approximately $6000 in cash in his briefcase (an unusually high amount for the type of business) and was understandably nervous with it.  When that request was refused, he requested it be done in a private office. Sorry, but we are just not going to do anything different than we do for any other person just because you waited until the last minute to do this and ended up having to deal in cash. 
It's not what we gather along the way that matters.  It's what we scatter.

Maujer

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2009, 10:25:31 AM »
Well, I live in NYC so I see many, many special snowflakes. My favorite two were the well-dressed businessman who pulled the young, small woman OFF the subway so he could fit on the crowded train and the well-dressed business man who knocked over a middle-aged woman with glasses on the sidewalk because he was running to catch a cab. He just got up and kept running. We helped up the woman and got her the glasses.

Or the man who tried to punch me in the face because I waited for a woman in a stroller to pass before jumping over the slush and snow onto the curb. He was in a HURRY and I was HOLDING HIM UP. Gosh! I've never been so grateful for my 6'4" husband.

lalala

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2009, 10:35:58 AM »
Here is my Special Snowflake story.

DH and I were in a coffee shop, we get to the front of the long line and DH starts giving his order when a man cuts him off to pay for a newspaper. The conversation went like this:

DH: Excuse me, there is a line.
SS (scoffing): But I come in here every day.
DH: I don't care.** I'm in the middle of placing my order and you cut off all these people.

Special Snowflake did go to the back of the line. The barista thanked DH so I guess they have had trouble with him before.

** Ok, this may have been a little rude of DH

SCAJAfamily

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2009, 11:12:19 AM »
Yeah another movie theatre story.  Not I, but my brother.

He and his best friend got there early.  Nice middle seats for a sold out show.  dating couple comes in and only sees single seats left.  They tell bro and friend that they need to move and sit separately since they aren't on a date.  Apparently dating people need to sit together more than mere friends.

Bro refused of course.  Not sure what happened after that.
SCAJAfamily = dd S 21, ds C 14, ds A 11, dh J and myself dw A