Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5233900 times)

Hurricane Marathon

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2009, 03:30:43 PM »
Not sure if this totally counts, but many years ago I was at a bar watching my then-BF's pool league. It was pretty crowded and there were few seats. There was an empty barstool, so I sat down.  A few minutes later the bartender tells me I have to move because that's a "regular's" barstool.  (no, there wasn't an engraved plate - I checked!) So little 100lb me got to stand while this big beer-gutted guy sat in his special place.  ::)

Fluffy Cat

• Formerly MoretaTorene
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2009, 04:22:03 PM »
Here's my encounter with a Special Snowflake:

My mother and I were in line at the supermarket a few years ago. I think I would have been about fifteen. We were loading things onto the conveyor belt when my mother was 'tapped' on the shoulder, (she later told me that she had been poked, hard). She turns to this woman who has a full trolley and a baby in the child seat. Rather than bother with polite requests Madame Special Snowflake says to my mother: 'I have a child'
Mum, bless her, points to me and says: 'Me too! Aren't they great'. The woman made rather loud sighs as our transaction was completed, but thankfully, she didn't try to pull the baby card on anyone else.

So, fellow e-hellions, how have you dealt with those who think they're just a little bit more important than the common folk, for whatever reason.

The best response I've ever heard to this behavior is from the show Dead Like Me and is completely not e-hell approved:  "Don't use your children. Its shameful."
"Its so fluffy I could DIE"

Kiara

• My dragons!
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2009, 04:34:29 PM »
Another SS in an airport.

Relative and I are flying home from Scotland.  By the time we land in DC, we have been in transit for over 20 hours.  (Train from Scotland, cab across London, wait at Heathrow, fly to Dulles.)   In addition, we have an hour and a half car drive home.  We are exhausted.  We get to baggage claim.  Relative says she's going to get a cart for our luggage.  This was pre 9-11, and we had 5 bags between the two of us.   For some reason, Dulles did not have enough carts for the plane.  It was quite clear not everyone was going to get one.  We spy an empty cart and start loading the carryons.  Enter Ms. Special Snowflake.

"Pardon me...that's mah caaarrt."  (Yes, she sounded like that.)  The cart had easily been 10 feet from the woman.  In addition, SHE ALREADY HAD ONE!!!  Yes, she was trying to take two carts.  We looked at her and said "But, you weren't near it."  Nope, couldn't reason with her.  "No, but that's mah carrt."

My relative actually took a step back, looked the cart over, and simply said "I don't see your name on it."   And then we walked away.   ;D

high dudgeon

« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2009, 04:50:03 PM »
Doctor's office's huh? So the last time I was at the doctor's I got there half an hour early, with my book and a bottle of water, and settled down to wait. A woman was at the desk arguing with the receptionist. Apparently her appointment had been scheduled for Monday, but she had it in her head that it was for Tuesday so that's when she showed up. She argued with the receptionist for a good ten minutes and the receptionist finally agreed to see if her doctor had any openings that day. The word comes back that the doctor is booked solid all day, and so are all the other doctors in the practice and the woman will have to schedule another appointment for another day.

The woman looks in her day book and sees that she had written the appointment down for Monday. She goes on and on and on and on to me (trying to ignore by reading my book), the receptionist and the world in general about how she just doesn't know how she could do that, she just has to see a doctor to start her weight loss program today, how she just can't wait a week or so for the next appointment and what on earth is she supposed to do for the rest of the day that she took off of work?! The receptionist firmly tells her that the doctor can't see her today, but she's welcome to make another appointment.

She doesn't make another appointment. She sits down in the waiting room, pulls out her day book and cell phone and starts calling every single person she knows. She calls work to nag someone about some reports and complain about the doctor. She calls several friends and complains how she was ready to finally get serious about losing weight and now she can't do it because the doctor's office screwed up the appointment. She starts making some sales calls and leaving messages for customers to call her back. Let me add that she had an incredibly loud, blaring, shrill, nasal voice that you could hear through solid rock. After listening to her for 30 minutes, I now know her name, the names of her friends and coworkers, her phone number that she repeated loudly several times and all her health issues.

I have a tiny bit of sympathy for a little mix up like this. But it wasn't a life threatening situation. She wasn't in pain. She messed it up herself, and after the 6th phone call, I was pretty sure she had done it on purpose so as not to have to actually start making changes in her lifestyle. Why fix things when you can complain about it?

I was never so happy to leave the waiting room and pull on a paper exam robe in my life. She was gone when I left, and I'd love to know if the receptionist finally shooed her out, or if she left on her own.

TychaBrahe

• Super Hero!
  • Defend the mother closet!
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2009, 04:58:16 PM »
"Pardon me...that's mah caaarrt."  (Yes, she sounded like that.)  The cart had easily been 10 feet from the woman.  In addition, SHE ALREADY HAD ONE!!!  Yes, she was trying to take two carts.  We looked at her and said "But, you weren't near it."  Nope, couldn't reason with her.  "No, but that's mah carrt."

The only problem I have with this is that at most airports you pay to get those carts.  Over $3 per cart the last time I checked, and I wouldn't be surprised if it sis $5 in some places.  Sometimes you find them standing around, but most airports are very good about putting them back in the machines. 

If the woman had paid for both carts with the reasonable expectation that she would use both, your relative was wrong to take it and stealing besides.  Had the relative offered to pay the woman for the cart, it would be different.
"Brownies and kindness for all!"  High Dudgeon

NEDESAPIO

« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2009, 05:11:45 PM »
I was working in a college bookstore for the past month, and one customer really took the cake.

BG:  this was a teeny-tiny bookstore that was kind of an offshoot of the larger store on another campus.  Occasionally, we would run out of certain books, and need to have more shipped from the other campus.  Also, the school also has a lot of students who are scheduling classes around their jobs.

One woman came in, and it turned out that a couple of the books she needed were out of stock.  So the woman asked if the bookstore would ship them to her house.  Fair enough, you never know, some places might do that.

Well, this bookstore didn't.  I don't think they ever do that sort of thing, but especially not in this case because of security issues with the way she was paying.

That wasn't good enough for this woman.  She went off on the manager about how she had to work, and how ridiculous it was that she'd have to come all the way back to the bookstore to pick up her books.

She even reported the manager to the store's higher-ups over this  ::)

In the end, the books came in from the other campus the very next day, and the woman managed to make it in to pick them up.

Okay, for some reason lines from Monty Python's "Bookshop Sketch" flashed through my mind on reading this story.

Customer:  But I thought I saw it over there.
Clerk:  Where?
Customer:  Over there.
Clerk:  What?
Customer:  Olsen's Standard Book of British Birds.
Clerk:  Olsen's Standard Book of British Birds?...Yes, well we do have that one...
Customer:  The expurgated version, of course.
Clerk:  I'm sorry, I didn't quite catch that.
Customer:  The expurgated version.
Clerk:  The expurgated version of Olsen's Standard Book of British Birds?!
Customer:  Yes -- the one without the gannet.

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2009, 05:23:03 PM »

The only problem I have with this is that at most airports you pay to get those carts.  Over $3 per cart the last time I checked, and I wouldn't be surprised if it sis $5 in some places.  Sometimes you find them standing around, but most airports are very good about putting them back in the machines. 

If the woman had paid for both carts with the reasonable expectation that she would use both, your relative was wrong to take it and stealing besides.  Had the relative offered to pay the woman for the cart, it would be different.

That's true in domestic terminals.  However, at least as far as I'm aware, luggage carts are free in international terminals (at least, I've never had to pay for one when flying internationally).  Kiara was flying in from Scotland, so I doubt the woman had to pay for the use of that cart.

Gambitgirl

« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2009, 05:23:58 PM »
Listen my dear friends to the story of Special Nathan, a special student, with some very special ideas about his importance as a undeclared major at a top 10 university.

Special Nathan was special only b/c he believed he was very special and therefore rules and regulations did not apply to him and the concerns of the many were outweighed by his petty desires.  As a result of registering late one semester (again) Special Nathan could not get into one of the classes he wanted. He asks my co-worker, who works with late registration to add him to a full class. She says she cannot b/c he is low on the waitlist and if any spaces open up they will go first to the upperclassmen who need the class to graduate (like a senior in their last semester), then down the line eventually coming to him, the lowly sophmore who wants to take it as an elective.

Special Nathan does not like this response as it denies him his helicoptering-parentage-given-right to instananeous wish fulfillment at the expense of all others. so he goes to my friend's Director of undergrad studies. The Director says "Sorry Special Nathan, staffer was right, seniors who need this to graduate get it first. you can take it another semester. register on time next time and that will help." Well Special Nathan doesn't like this at all, so he goes to the Chair who says, "Who are you and why aren't you talking to the director of undergrad? You should have registered on time." Special Nathan is mortally offended and goes to a Dean, who says "Your Director and her assistant gave you the correct answer. Stop being a baby and take it later. And register on time!"

Well Special Nathan can't have that sort of reality entering his Special Nathan World, so he writes a really nice, poorly spelled, absurd letter to the PROVOST saying the my co-worker friend is a horrible, big, bag, meanie who has the power to enroll him in this class ahead of seniors who need it to graduate but she won't do it b/c she is had gone insane with the heady rush of registration power and she must be stopped at all costs!!! The Provost calls the Director of undergrad studies in our departmen and says, "Who the hell is Special Nathan? Tell him to get over it and never contact my office again. I mean he didn't even register on time. That Sucks Twinkie Doo!?"

Special Nathan's letter was forwarded by the Provost to the Dean, to the Chair, to the Director...who forwarded it down to my co-worker, but only after calling Special Nathan into her office to explain that bringing himself to the attention of the Chair, Dean, and Provost in this manner was not conducive to a successful academic future, nor was writing immature and fantasical emails about valued employees going to endear him to any staffer in the department b/c we all knew about it. The next time Special Nathan came in wanting some assistance from my co-worker she pointed to his letter, which she had tacked up on her bulletin board with the big red title "How Not to Behave in College" from the Chair written on it. He left without asking for help...I don't believe he ever came back again.

The End.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 05:47:48 PM by Gambitgirl »

wordgirl

• Ponytail time
  • Super Hero!
  • Coca-Cola, cake and single-malt Scotch--I'm happy!
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2009, 05:26:25 PM »
Beautiful, Gambitgirl. Simply exquisite. :D

hot_shaker

• Super Hero!
  • Friendly EHell Crank
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2009, 05:39:30 PM »

I thought that too.  Hopefully though she would have had the good sense to say that she had paid money for it and not just keep repeating "that's mah caaarrt."  I'm sure that Kiara and her relative would have had the decency to relinquish the cart if the woman had made a valid claim on it.

Beautiful, Gambitgirl. Simply exquisite. :D

Wow, that was like an EHell fairy tale.

Tell it again, tell it again!!  ;D
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 05:44:58 PM by hot_shaker »

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Trust me, I'm a scientist.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Raised on the East Coast,
living in the Mid-West.

Bookgirl

• Read The Hunger Games. Trust me.
    • Zo- Be Designs
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2009, 05:52:33 PM »
Listen my dear friends to the story of Special Nathan, a special student, with some very special ideas about his importance as a undeclared major at a top 10 university.

Special Nathan was special only b/c he believed he was very special and therefore rules and regulations did not apply to him and the concerns of the many were outweighed by his petty desires.  As a result of registering late one semester (again) Special Nathan could not get into one of the classes he wanted. He asks my co-worker, who works with late registration to add him to a full class. She says she cannot b/c he is low on the waitlist and if any spaces open up they will go first to the upperclassmen who need the class to graduate (like a senior in their last semester), then down the line eventually coming to him, the lowly sophmore who wants to take it as an elective.

Special Nathan does not like this response as it denies him his helicoptering-parentage-given-right to instananeous wish fulfillment at the expense of all others. so he goes to my friend's Director of undergrad studies. The Director says "Sorry Special Nathan, staffer was right, seniors who need this to graduate get it first. you can take it another semester. register on time next time and that will help." Well Special Nathan doesn't like this at all, so he goes to the Chair who says, "Who are you and why aren't you talking to the director of undergrad? You should have registered on time." Special Nathan is mortally offended and goes to a Dean, who says "Your Director and her assistant gave you the correct answer. Stop being a baby and take it later. And register on time!"

Well Special Nathan can't have that sort of reality entering his Special Nathan World, so he writes a really nice, poorly spelled, absurd letter to the PROVOST saying the my co-worker friend is a horrible, big, bag, meanie who has the power to enroll him in this class ahead of seniors who need it to graduate but she won't do it b/c she is had gone insane with the heady rush of registration power and she must be stopped at all costs!!! The Provost calls the Director of undergrad studies in our departmen and says, "Who the hell is Special Nathan? Tell him to get over it and never contact my office again. I mean he didn't even register on time. That Sucks Twinkie Doo!?"

Special Nathan's letter was forwarded by the Provost to the Dean, to the Chair, to the Director...who forwarded it down to my co-worker, but only after calling Special Nathan into her office to explain that bringing himself to the attention of the Chair, Dean, and Provost in this manner was not conducive to a successful academic future, nor was writing immature and fantasical emails about valued employees going to endear him to any staffer in the department b/c we all knew about it. The next time Special Nathan came in wanting some assistance from my co-worker she pointed to his letter, which she had tacked up on her bulletin board with the big red title "How Not to Behave in College" from the Chair written on it. He left without asking for help...I don't believe he ever came back again.

The End.

Well, this story brought tears to my eyes....
RIP to my blog

I play with paper, scissors and glue and this is where I Facebook about it:
http://www.facebook.com/ZoBeDesigns

my cards and papergoods: www.ZoBeDesigns.etsy.com

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2009, 06:47:02 PM »
Doctor's office's huh? So the last time I was at the doctor's I got there half an hour early, with my book and a bottle of water, and settled down to wait. A woman was at the desk arguing with the receptionist. Apparently her appointment had been scheduled for Monday, but she had it in her head that it was for Tuesday so that's when she showed up. She argued with the receptionist for a good ten minutes and the receptionist finally agreed to see if her doctor had any openings that day. The word comes back that the doctor is booked solid all day, and so are all the other doctors in the practice and the woman will have to schedule another appointment for another day.

The woman looks in her day book and sees that she had written the appointment down for Monday. She goes on and on and on and on to me (trying to ignore by reading my book), the receptionist and the world in general about how she just doesn't know how she could do that, she just has to see a doctor to start her weight loss program today, how she just can't wait a week or so for the next appointment and what on earth is she supposed to do for the rest of the day that she took off of work?! The receptionist firmly tells her that the doctor can't see her today, but she's welcome to make another appointment.

She doesn't make another appointment. She sits down in the waiting room, pulls out her day book and cell phone and starts calling every single person she knows. She calls work to nag someone about some reports and complain about the doctor. She calls several friends and complains how she was ready to finally get serious about losing weight and now she can't do it because the doctor's office screwed up the appointment. She starts making some sales calls and leaving messages for customers to call her back. Let me add that she had an incredibly loud, blaring, shrill, nasal voice that you could hear through solid rock. After listening to her for 30 minutes, I now know her name, the names of her friends and coworkers, her phone number that she repeated loudly several times and all her health issues.

I have a tiny bit of sympathy for a little mix up like this. But it wasn't a life threatening situation. She wasn't in pain. She messed it up herself, and after the 6th phone call, I was pretty sure she had done it on purpose so as not to have to actually start making changes in her lifestyle. Why fix things when you can complain about it?

I was never so happy to leave the waiting room and pull on a paper exam robe in my life. She was gone when I left, and I'd love to know if the receptionist finally shooed her out, or if she left on her own.

You know, I did this once.  But in my case being polite actually helped me!  It was my annual girlie dr. appt, and if I recall correctly, I had been away, and had what I thought was the correct day and time in my datebook.  So I took off early from work, and made my way to the dr.'s office.  Only to find out I had written down the wrong day, but right time.  I said ok, and paused a minute, and said something like, "gee, I;m dumb, and I left work early too!  DUH!. 

The nurse then said, well, if you don't mind seeing the other doctor, we can fit you in, since you're already here.  She didn't have to do that, nor did i whine, pout, cry or yell about MY mistake.  So I said thank you, and yes, that would be very nice.  I sat my behind down, pulled out my book, and waited until they called my name! 

baglady

• A big lass and a bonny lass and she loves her beer
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2009, 07:08:05 PM »
Not sure if this totally counts, but many years ago I was at a bar watching my then-BF's pool league. It was pretty crowded and there were few seats. There was an empty barstool, so I sat down.  A few minutes later the bartender tells me I have to move because that's a "regular's" barstool.  (no, there wasn't an engraved plate - I checked!) So little 100lb me got to stand while this big beer-gutted guy sat in his special place.  ::)

Was his name Norm?  ;)
My photography is on Redbubble! Come see: http://www.redbubble.com/people/baglady

Hurricane Marathon

« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2009, 07:11:39 PM »

Was his name Norm?  ;)

HAHAHA!!!  "Nowadays Me" would stand up and jokingly say "Sorry about that, Norm."  ;)  (I hate it when you think of the coolest comeback 13 years later!)

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2009, 08:10:27 PM »
Listen my dear friends to the story of Special Nathan, a special student, with some very special ideas about his importance as a undeclared major at a top 10 university...

Brilliant.  Have you submitted this to the main site?

Actually, a previous poster came up with a great book idea:  Fairy Tales From Etiquette Hell:  How and Why the Kings and Queens of the Faux Pas end up Miserably Ever After.[/b]