Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5652898 times)

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #75 on: February 04, 2009, 02:44:39 PM »
Speaking of dorms, I had a hallmate who apparently needed absolute silence if she was going to sleep.  She was reputed to have called security on another hallmate (note:  this is a hallmate, not a roommate) for

1) flushing the toilet
2) coughing
You lived on the hall with my ex-roommate Celeste? She couldn't study with any noise, or sleep with any light or noise. Luckily, she was only around for a week before she got "too homesick" and dropped out. I'd have died if I'd had to spend the whole year with her(she was a transfer who replaced my chosen roommate who didn't return to school).

One night she even locked me out of the room in the time it took me to go and use the restroom/brush my teeth for bed, and then she wouldn't get out of bed to let me in!(I'd not picked up my keys because she was in the room, and we were right across from the restroom) I had to have the RA let me in.
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

CelticGemini

« Reply #76 on: February 04, 2009, 02:48:22 PM »
I've posted about this before, but it's still a good example of Specialus Snowflakus Americanis in the wild.  ;D

My husband has a cardiac condition which eventually resulted in him having to have open heart surgery. Because of his history and other risk factors, we go right to the front of the line in the ER. Anyway, one night a few years back, we were called to the front before a woman who was waiting with a bloody nose. She started shouting that DH shouldn't have gone before her since he came after.

Yeah, lady. My DH with his possible heart trouble (again) is really trumped by you and your bloody nose.  ::)

JocelynCS

• Mom of 3 fluffies!
« Reply #77 on: February 04, 2009, 03:40:45 PM »
Speaking of dorms, I had a hallmate who apparently needed absolute silence if she was going to sleep.  She was reputed to have called security on another hallmate (note:  this is a hallmate, not a roommate) for

1) flushing the toilet
2) coughing
You lived on the hall with my ex-roommate Celeste? She couldn't study with any noise, or sleep with any light or noise. Luckily, she was only around for a week before she got "too homesick" and dropped out. I'd have died if I'd had to spend the whole year with her(she was a transfer who replaced my chosen roommate who didn't return to school).

One night she even locked me out of the room in the time it took me to go and use the restroom/brush my teeth for bed, and then she wouldn't get out of bed to let me in!(I'd not picked up my keys because she was in the room, and we were right across from the restroom) I had to have the RA let me in.

One the other side of the coin in the Specialius Snowflakus Residenceius species were my roommates in my Washington, DC internship program.

While I wasn't a party girl (or admittedly, not terribly social) I could handle a little talking or moving-around noise at night.  I could not, however, handle my three roommates and their (seemingly) dozens of pals from every other floor of our apartment building and every random hot guy they met on the Metro blasting music until 3 in the morning - on weeknights, when I had to be up at 7 and into the office by 9.

My roommates were very clear on why they were there - PARRRR-TAAAY, baby!  What?  Come to Washington to work and study?  Pfft!  What a loser I was!

I finally got our program's RA's to schedule a mediation with us, and one of the Snowflake Sisters promptly sneered during the session, "Well, we're the majority and we don't see why we can't have fun, so SHE should compromise MORE!"

Fortunately, the RA replied firmly that EVERYONE in the apartment had an EQUAL right to sufficient sleep before work.  They ended up moving me to another apartment because the other girls and a few of their buddies started threatening me physically.  My second batch of roommates were fun and sweet, and while we had a few get-togethers in our room and stayed up late with friends, nobody took it as a mortal insult when one of the other girls (not just me this time) asked that music or the TV be turned down when they wanted to go to bed early.

Being considerate - imagine that!

Hushabye

• Super Hero!
« Reply #78 on: February 04, 2009, 03:47:49 PM »
I've posted about this before, but it's still a good example of Specialus Snowflakus Americanis in the wild.  ;D

My husband has a cardiac condition which eventually resulted in him having to have open heart surgery. Because of his history and other risk factors, we go right to the front of the line in the ER. Anyway, one night a few years back, we were called to the front before a woman who was waiting with a bloody nose. She started shouting that DH shouldn't have gone before her since he came after.

Yeah, lady. My DH with his possible heart trouble (again) is really trumped by you and your bloody nose.  ::)

While it was rude of her to shout, she may not have realized how ill your husband was, especially as she was bleeding (a big external sign of injury/illness) and I presume your DH was not (although he may have appeared quite ill in another manner -- skin pallor, sweating, etc).  So, to her, in a stressful situation, it looked as though she were getting the shaft.  I can't blame her for being upset, but she shouldn't have yelled about it.

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #79 on: February 04, 2009, 03:52:14 PM »
What it is about movie theaters that brings out the worst of people?   ???  I'm another one who gets there early for a good seat, and I'll be darned if I'm going to move for someone who can't manage their time better. 

I get anxiety attacks, so the only way I can handle being in a movie theater is on the aisle.  If I go to a movie with Mr. Sirius we always go early enough so that I can get an aisle seat.  It's amazing how many times I've been asked to trade or move, and I always say no.   

Kaora

• I'm just a singer in a rock and roll band
« Reply #80 on: February 04, 2009, 03:53:31 PM »
There's my lovely older sister, she's a well intentioned person with a well meaning heart, but there's reasons why she has been termed Her Ladyship, Madame, and Queen around our household.  I do love her, though.

But, usually, her food tastes don't match the rest of ours, so while the rest of us are fine chowing down on chicken soup or beef stew with dumplings, she'd be complaining wanting something completely different, like a hotdog, or a sandwich.  ;D

The other is that she seems to have HER right of way when it comes to things, and she NEEDS to do things when she wants.

Such examples include this from a week ago, when I got into our shower before she did and she was planning to take one the same time I got in (yes, there was a fuss about that too):

Ladyship (yelling after I stepped out): Can you hurry up?

Me (maybe slightly rude? ^^; ): I can't, I'm not even dressed yet.

Ladyship *yelling to mum*: CAN YOU MAKE HER GET OUT OF THE SHOWER ALREADY?!

Mum must've stormed down the hall and laid into her about how she had to share a house with four other siblings, and they all managed to share the shower equally.

I love her, she means the best, but she has a habit of needing everything her own way, and I do love Ladyship as my elder.  But she can get a little annoying. @.@

raven44012

« Reply #81 on: February 04, 2009, 03:56:56 PM »
I'm dealing with a Special Snowflake right now.  I finally snapped last week and called the police on her, not that it's done any good, but I have a temper and will not engage the SS.  
This special snowflake sits at the end of our street with her son in her car until the school bus comes.  Now this is not all the special snowflakey...there are a couple of parents that do this, especially when it's raining.   They usually sit back 10 to 20 yards from the corner, way off to the side.  This woman parks right on the corner, so no one else can pull onto the street without having to take their life in their hands and pull immediately around her.  This is not what made me finally snap though.  Last week we got snow...a lot of it.  It is piled high and deep and I feel a little like a rat in a maze driving down my street.
This lady pulls on to the street last Friday, sits in the wrong lane (parked on the left side) crooked, right at the end of the street.  No one with a car above the size of a compact could get down that end of the street.  There was no place to maneuver with all of the snow.  From what the police dispatcher said (I called the non-emergency line by the way) they have talked to her before.  She pulled the same thing on Monday and again today.   >:(
I've been trying to leave earlier so I don't run into her, but I drive my teenagers to school and trying to get them to hurry up and get ready earlier is kind of like herding cats.

HermioneGranger

« Reply #82 on: February 04, 2009, 04:21:13 PM »
What it is about movie theaters that brings out the worst of people?   ???  I'm another one who gets there early for a good seat, and I'll be darned if I'm going to move for someone who can't manage their time better. 

I get anxiety attacks, so the only way I can handle being in a movie theater is on the aisle.  If I go to a movie with Mr. Sirius we always go early enough so that I can get an aisle seat.  It's amazing how many times I've been asked to trade or move, and I always say no.   

In the theater I go to, people rarely sit on the aisle.  They all want to sit in the center. 

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #83 on: February 04, 2009, 04:23:12 PM »
"Who the hell is Special Nathan? Tell him to get over it and never contact my office again. I mean he didn't even register on time. That Sucks Twinkie Doo!?"

Somehow I don't think this is really what the Provost said.  But it gets the point across.  

I'm surprised that Special Nathan didn't accuse the first person he encountered of some kind of discrimination.  When I was the receptionist at the physical therapy department, a man came in with a consult for exercises.  He told me he was going to have his legs amputated because he had arthritis (which is a load of the aforementioned Twinkie Doo) and he wanted an immediate appointment.  I gave him one for right after lunch, two hours later.  

Mr. Exercise then came in an hour later and claimed to my boss that I had refused to give him an appointment because he was a Martian.  My boss got the sergeant in charge, who was also a Martian, and they retired to the boss' office.  And closed the door.  That meant trouble; my boss was very mellow, but he didn't allow people making false accusations against his people.  He told me later that he knew it was a total lie, because I wasn't like that, but he still had to accommodate Mr. Exercise so the sergeant in charge taught him his exercises and told me, "If he says one word to you, even if it's 'good morning', you let me know.  He's been told not to say a word to you or even go into your area."  

supergrover

« Reply #84 on: February 04, 2009, 04:32:52 PM »
This story made my draw drop to the floor very much like that blue emoticon I don't know how to use.

My mother used to meet up with a bunch of women every week. There were about 12-15 of them and they would take turns hosting, and at these gatherings they would indulge in tea and cakes and chat and generally have a nice time. One of the women there, lets call her Bertha, is an entitlement princess. I have many stories about her, but i'll just tell the most recent one:

One of the ladies, Jane, comes back from a holiday to the motherland. Motherland is about 6 months to a year ahead in the fashions, due to being closer to France than Australia. Jane buys herself a nice handbag, and also buys her best friend in the group, Amanda, one as well. She comes back with a bunch of nice stuff for everyone else also.

So Jane is giving out everyones' gifts and Bertha is eyeing Janes bag, exclaiming over the bag, and basically letting it be known that she wants it. Jane ignores her. Bertha then cries 'Where's AMANDA'S gift?' Jane tells her that she had given Amanda's gift previously. Bertha keeps asking what it is but neither Jane nor Amanda tell her.

Next week Amanda is hosting the group at her house, and Jane is unable to attand. Everyone else turns up, including Bertha, and the regular afternoon of nibblies and tea ensues. When everyone is getting ready to leave (everyone always leaves at the same time) Bertha notices THE BAG, the one Jane gave Amanda as a gift, hanging on the coat rack. She glares at Amanda, snatches the handbag, turns it upside down and shakes everything out of it, then slings it over her own shoulder and leaves. Infront of everyone.

Amanda is so shocked she can't do anything, and once Bertha's gone, starts crying from anger and frustration. A bunch of the ladies promptly go straight over to Bertha's house, rip into her, then reclaim the bag and return it to Amanda.

At every gathering Bertha still comments on the bag, but everyone just ignores her. I don't even know while they still up with her, to be honest.

I have more but I will post tomorrow.

Oh my god.  :o

I wish I could say I didn't believe this, but I do. This story takes the snow-cake. 

Animala

• Rowr!
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #85 on: February 04, 2009, 04:34:04 PM »
I think I've told this before, perhaps on a roommate thread, but here goes.

In my freshman year at college I had a roommate who was the only girl in the family which resulted in her never having to share anything.  (My school had a policy that freshman had to have a roommate.)  

Remember this was in a dorm.  She went to bed at 8:00 every night.  She would be awakened by any noise.  ANY.NOISE.  I couldn't even read in bed with a small light on or I would keep her up let alone do any kind of homework.  I spent most of my time in the floor's lounge (a big living room) because I couldn't function in my own room.  She also didn't get up until 8:00 and complained everyday about my alarm for my 7:00 class.  I couldn't even brush my teeth in the room because the running water bothered her.

Anyone who needs that much sleep really shouldn't be in a dorm.  To top it off, if I took an occasional nap, she would come in and be loud with her friends and would get mad if I asked her to be quiet.

GARH!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 04:36:53 PM by doodlebug »

TychaBrahe

• Super Hero!
  • Defend the mother closet!
« Reply #86 on: February 04, 2009, 04:39:21 PM »
Gambitgirl's story reminded me of another collegiate special snowflake (not as special as hers, of course). While I was in college I worked for the director of student housing. One of the residents had been caught keeping a cat in her dorm room, and was required to write a 300-word essay explaining why cats were not allowed in student housing. Her essay was 300 words of whining why this was so unfair, why her cat was so special, why she should be allowed to keep it because one cat never hurt anybody, etc. And it was exactly 300 words, because she numbered each word, and stopped mid-sentence at word #300.

"Peter Rabbit is a stupid book about a stupid rabbit who stole vegetables from other people's gardens.  One, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten, eleven, twelve, thirteen, fourteen, fifteen, sixteen, seventeen!  Ha!"
"Brownies and kindness for all!"  High Dudgeon

LibraryLady

« Reply #87 on: February 04, 2009, 04:52:13 PM »
Specialus Snowflakus Americanis

Could we possibly (pretty please with sugar and sprinkles on it) amend this to be just  "Specialus Snowflakus" and leave nationality out of it???   :-[

Thank you!!

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #88 on: February 04, 2009, 04:53:28 PM »
Specialus Snowflakus Americanis

Could we possibly (pretty please with sugar and sprinkles on it) amend this to be just  "Specialus Snowflakus" and leave nationality out of it???   :-[

Thank you!!
How about Specialus Snowflakus Entitleus?
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

Miss Misery

• Humanity is overrated.
« Reply #89 on: February 04, 2009, 04:53:58 PM »
Back in my cake decorating days, there was a cake with a special design on it waiting to be picked up. Said cake had been ordered ahead of time, the person ordering the cake had requested the special design, and the cake had "Happy Birthday So-and-So!" written on it. It was just waiting to be picked up. Simple, right?

Wrong. Enter Special Snowflake.

Ms. Snowflake sees the special design cake and wants it for herself. She wants me to scrape off the name and write another one. She gets told "no". Ms. Snowflake whines "But you can always make another! I wwwaaannnnt it!"

Um, that's not the point. If she wanted it so bad, she should have ordered one. And she could have ordered one, but no, she had to have *that* one. I had to take the special design cake out of the front display and put it in the back behind the counter until she left, because I was convinced she was going to try and steal it.