Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5640985 times)

LibraryLady

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #90 on: February 04, 2009, 04:54:59 PM »
Black Delphunium, that works for me.

LL

Emmy

« Reply #91 on: February 04, 2009, 05:13:27 PM »
This story occurred when I was 18 and a pushover.  The Special Snowflake in the story, however, remains one of the worst I have encountered.

I was in a drum corps, which is like a marching band with only brass instruments and drums.  One day after a performance, we were going to have a group picture taken with everybody in uniform.  Special Snowflake, who was one of the most talented musicians in the group, is one of the worst people I have ever met.  Before the picture, she happened to have misplaced her hat which was part of the uniform.  SS goes up to other people demanding their hats (not even asking, but telling people to give her the hat), because of course she is more important than they are and she doesn't deserve to go hatless in the photo (despite the fact she is the one who missplaced it).  She demanded my hat and I was almost dumb and intimidated enough to give it over (SS was kinda scary and I am non-confrontational by nature).  Thanks to a friend, I was talked out of giving my hat to her (and looking like the goof who forgot her hat in the picture).  I think somebody found SS an additional hat the last minute.

Another story about this SS.  One of the rules for drum corps practice was that we had to wear white shirts.  I kept a spare in my backpack just in case.  One day Snowflake doesn't have a white shirt and goes around asking people for one to borrow.  I took pity on her (punishment for no white shirt was running laps) and offered her the one in my backpack.  SS was not in the best of shape, and it was a hot day so running laps would have not been ideal for her.  I told her it had been rolled up in a ball in my backpack for quite a while and probably wasn't in the best condition.  SS said she was just happy for the white shirt.  Later that day, I overhear Special Snowflake telling whoever would listen how gross and stinky my shirt was (I hadn't worn it, but it was in my backpack for months).  I can't believe I just helped her out and this is how I am repaid.  I still wish I could go back in time, keep my 'gross, stinky' shirt in my backpack, and watch SS run laps.

hot_shaker

• Super Hero!
  • Friendly EHell Crank
« Reply #92 on: February 04, 2009, 05:17:11 PM »
Specialus Snowflakus Americanis

Could we possibly (pretty please with sugar and sprinkles on it) amend this to be just  "Specialus Snowflakus" and leave nationality out of it???   :-[

Thank you!!
How about Specialus Snowflakus Entitleus?

Specialus snowflakus entitleus, to be perfectly correct.  :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Trust me, I'm a scientist.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Raised on the East Coast,
living in the Mid-West.

CelticGemini

« Reply #93 on: February 04, 2009, 05:17:57 PM »

Could we possibly (pretty please with sugar and sprinkles on it) amend this to be just  "Specialus Snowflakus" and leave nationality out of it???   :-[

Thank you!!

As I have observed this species in the wild, I only meant to imply that this was the American version. I have no doubt that Specialus Snowflakus enjoys a very, very wide habitat range.  ;D

CelticGemini

« Reply #94 on: February 04, 2009, 05:23:17 PM »
I've posted about this before, but it's still a good example of Specialus Snowflakus Americanis in the wild.  ;D

My husband has a cardiac condition which eventually resulted in him having to have open heart surgery. Because of his history and other risk factors, we go right to the front of the line in the ER. Anyway, one night a few years back, we were called to the front before a woman who was waiting with a bloody nose. She started shouting that DH shouldn't have gone before her since he came after.

Yeah, lady. My DH with his possible heart trouble (again) is really trumped by you and your bloody nose.  ::)

While it was rude of her to shout, she may not have realized how ill your husband was, especially as she was bleeding (a big external sign of injury/illness) and I presume your DH was not (although he may have appeared quite ill in another manner -- skin pallor, sweating, etc).  So, to her, in a stressful situation, it looked as though she were getting the shaft.  I can't blame her for being upset, but she shouldn't have yelled about it.

Oh, I agree---I tend to cut people a lot of slack in the ER, because, let's face it, no one is at their best there. But this lady was just being an all round southbound end of a northbound mule. If there's one place that "But he went first *sniffle, whine*" is not going to work, it's the ER. I feel really bad for the ER staff though---they had to deal with her up close and personal.  ::)

JocelynCS

• Mom of 3 fluffies!
« Reply #95 on: February 04, 2009, 05:25:13 PM »

Thank you!!

*Assumes science narrator mode*

Eh, I think Specialus Snowflakus Americus is okay - provided the Americus is intended to identify the particular characteristic of the subspecies (i.e., a traveler abroad who proclaims their nationality as being the reason for their specialness).  Another such subspecies would be Specialus Snowflakus Europus, which has been identified here in the US on occasion.

We also have examples in this thread of Specialus Snowflakus Professionalus (our various Very Important Businessmen/women who are entitled to Go First because they're on their way to a Very Important Meeting), Specialus Snowflakus Residenceius (roommates), and Specialus Snowflakus Filialus (those who use their kids to try to get ahead).

It all depends on the source of the Special Snowflake Complex.

mmmchocolate

« Reply #96 on: February 04, 2009, 05:32:19 PM »
While in college, a couple of my friends were studying with me-we were all sitting on my bed quizzing each other, etc.  From across the room HRFH (horrible roommate from h*ell) screams at us "Quit making all that noise!!  You aren't the only ones trying to study!! Shut UP!!"

Okay, fine.  We apologise and start quizzing each other in whispers whereupon HRFH screams "What are you saying?  I KNOW you're talking about me!  Quit talking about me!!!!!!!!!!"  *sigh*

Another time I walked in the room while she was getting dressed and happened to notice the underwear she was wearing.  Which, actually, were MY underwear.  :P  When I asked her why she had taken my *frillys* she denied that they were mine.  My response?  "Well, they're yours now!"  Those weren't the first thing she had stolen, but definitely the most personal!

hot_shaker

• Super Hero!
  • Friendly EHell Crank
« Reply #97 on: February 04, 2009, 05:32:35 PM »

Thank you!!

*Assumes science narrator mode*

Eh, I think Specialus Snowflakus Americus is okay - provided the Americus is intended to identify the particular characteristic of the subspecies (i.e., a traveler abroad who proclaims their nationality as being the reason for their specialness).  Another such subspecies would be Specialus Snowflakus Europus, which has been identified here in the US on occasion.

We also have examples in this thread of Specialus Snowflakus Professionalus (our various Very Important Businessmen/women who are entitled to Go First because they're on their way to a Very Important Meeting), Specialus Snowflakus Residenceius (roommates), and Specialus Snowflakus Filialus (those who use their kids to try to get ahead).

It all depends on the source of the Special Snowflake Complex.

Hmm, I wonder when Specialus Snowflakus migration season is . . .

*giggles at the image of a herd of special snowflakes*

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

living in the Mid-West.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #98 on: February 04, 2009, 05:34:39 PM »

[/quote]

Oh no.  Please say they don't all travel together at some point.  One or two at a time is one thing, but en masse?!  YIKES!

hot_shaker

• Super Hero!
  • Friendly EHell Crank
« Reply #99 on: February 04, 2009, 05:34:56 PM »
From across the room HRFH (horrible roommate from h*ell) screams at us

Before I read your definition, I thought that HRFH stood for "Her Royal F---ing Highness".

Can anyone tell that I'm bored at work tonight?  ;D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

living in the Mid-West.

hot_shaker

• Super Hero!
  • Friendly EHell Crank
« Reply #100 on: February 04, 2009, 05:36:28 PM »

Oh no.  Please say they don't all travel together at some point.  One or two at a time is one thing, but en masse?!  YIKES!

I wonder what happens when two Special Snowflakes meet?  I bet it's not pretty.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

living in the Mid-West.

wordgirl

• Ponytail time
  • Super Hero!
  • Coca-Cola, cake and single-malt Scotch--I'm happy!
« Reply #101 on: February 04, 2009, 05:36:41 PM »

I dunno, but the main migratory path must run through Central Florida. :D

And your acronymization just made Mountain Dew (or Mtn Dw as it now seems to call itself) come out of my nose.

JocelynCS

• Mom of 3 fluffies!
« Reply #102 on: February 04, 2009, 06:00:16 PM »

I dunno, but the main migratory path must run through Central Florida. :D

And your acronymization just made Mountain Dew (or Mtn Dw as it now seems to call itself) come out of my nose.

Speaking as a gal who currently lives and works in Orlando, Florida... all statistical and anecdotal evidence as well as eyewitness observations indicates that your hypothesis is sound, Professor!

Ah, Florida.  The personalities our state draws...

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #103 on: February 04, 2009, 07:28:32 PM »
The only place where I have never seen a specialus snowflakus of ANY type would be Antartica - apparently they can't survive in the EXTREME cold since they don't cooperate?

Granted, I have never been there but I have seen various documentaries and read articles by those who have spent time there. 
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Azrail

• 'If all the insects on earth disappeared, within 50 years all life on earth would disappear. If all humans disappeared, within 50 years all species would flourish as never before.'
  • Sometimes square parents have round babies.
« Reply #104 on: February 04, 2009, 08:05:48 PM »
Ok, new day, new post.

This one isn't a Bertha story, but about a woman I had the misfortune to meet when I got married and moved to my husbands' hometown.

Martha is an older woman (about 70ish) and as such believes that everyone should treat her with reverance and adoration. She also believes that everyone should be psychic when it comes to her needs and wants.

We were all at Sally's place, having a nice little get together to congratulate her on her new house. Sally was serving coffee in white mugs. Apparantly Martha never drank from white mugs, they had to be the glass see-through kind.

So when Martha recieves her mug of coffee she cries "I don't drink from white ceramic! I only drink from glass! EVERYONE knows that!" (We didn't). She gets up, goes to the kitchen and dumps her coffee down the sink.

When she gets back from the kitchen she is telling Sally that she is rude, and should cater to her guests' needs better, and what kind of wife was she, she was making her husband look bad!

Sally just turns to her and says "You are a guest in my home. I am serving coffee in these mugs. If you don't like it I suggest you go home and drink your coffee there. There's the door."

Martha looks like she's just been slapped! She grabs her bag and cardi and stomps out the door, slamming it behind her. Everyone is thanking Sally for finally socking it to her because she's been a pain in everyone's rear end for years, but no one's had the courage to say anything because of her age. (In my culture, respect for your elders is hammered into you from birth).

Martha and Sally haven't spoken since, and that was two years ago!!!

More later. I have many many SS stories.
Wherever you are... that's where you happen to have gone.