Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5625806 times)

petal

• Dancing Queen
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #120 on: February 05, 2009, 09:35:04 AM »

*giggles at the image of a herd of special snowflakes*

Oh no.  Please say they don't all travel together at some point.  One or two at a time is one thing, but en masse?!  YIKES!

I wonder what happens when two Special Snowflakes meet?  I bet it's not pretty.

An itty bitty black hole appears...

and the one with the biggest stomp wins   ;D

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #121 on: February 05, 2009, 10:22:20 AM »
Jumping in WAY late to go back to the movie seating--
back in college, a friend had a first date with a crush of hers, New Year's Eve,  ;) and the movie of choice was "Dances With Wolves."
They could not get a seat together. 
too crowded.

they survived!!

There have two or three times where my party of two or three families could not all sit together.  Since you are not really supposed to talk during a movie, just sit down, hush, and enjoy the show. Hold hands, make-out, talk, whatever, after. 

Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

audhs

« Reply #122 on: February 05, 2009, 12:54:38 PM »
I despise parking lot vultures; specifically the ones with delusions of high importance (Snowflake Syndrome?).

My husband and were coming out of SprawlMart several years ago when our son was about a month old or so.  SprawlMart very much tries my patience because it's always crowded and I just want to get in and out, so by the time we were done shopping, I was already quite cranky.

The one nice thing (or so I thought) about the visit was that we landed a great parking spot.  After we finished loading groceries in the trunk, I started buckling the kiddo into his carseat.  At this point the lady who had followed us from the front doors of the store to our parking spot and had been waiting for it this entire time became impatient enough to honk at us to hurry up so she could take our spot.

After going more than a few months with little to no sleep, dealing with the crowds, and now being honked at for doing nothing wrong, I completely snapped and stomped up to the lady's car and said something like, "I am TRYING to strap my son into his carseat.  If you can't wait, find another damned spot!"  I think I actually scared her a bit (I'm sure I looked like hell); she ended up driving away.

I felt bad later after I'd gotten home and de-stressed a bit.  There was no excuse for how I behaved.   :-\

I love this!  Wish I had the courage to do that to people who sit and wait and act impatient while you try to unload stuff and get baby in car.  What's always the icing on the cake is when they've been sooooo impatient that they have crept/crawled their cars so close to yours that you can't back out to let them in.  Thanks for the giggle!

Peopple can be so rediculous at times.  I've been honked at before too for appently taking too much time buckeling my kids in.   Sorry if it takes me an extra minute or two but I'm not driving away with two preschoolers floating around unbuckled in the backseat sor that someone can get into the mall 2 minutes faster.

My husband was also honked at once by someone in a parking lot.   Dh was siting in the car with the kids (who had fallen asleep) while I ran into the store to buy something.  He had left the car running because it was January in Alberta and well cold.  Some guy apparently assumed that he was leaving so was waiting for his space.   The guy starts honkng at him to move.    The stupid thing is that about 1/3 or the parking lot was empty he just had to park two spots down from DH in order to get a space.   ::)

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #123 on: February 05, 2009, 01:03:36 PM »

Oh no.  Please say they don't all travel together at some point.  One or two at a time is one thing, but en masse?!  YIKES!

An itty bitty black hole appears...

and the one with the biggest stomp wins   ;D

*slow clap*

petal just won teh interweb.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Hillia

« Reply #124 on: February 05, 2009, 01:14:25 PM »
Yes, that mug stayed at my house.  My big plastic water glasses, not so much.  It wasn't that they were valuable, just that they were *mine*!

They borrowed so many things and took advantage of our generosity so many times that it would be a novel to write out.  One time they tried to borrow a post hole digger but we didn't have one.  I said, "You can buy or rent one from the hardware store for only $20 or $30."  Instead, Mr. Snowflake introduced himself to another neighbor, that he had never spoken to once in five years and had to ask us what his name was, to ask to borrow his.  Good times!

This reminds me of a story in _The First Four Years_, the story of Laura Ingalls Wilder's first four years (duh) of marriage to Almanzo.  They are homesteading on the South Dakota prairie, and a neighbor is always borrowing from them and not returning items.  Laura resents it, but Almanzo says they have to lend to him because that's being good neighbors.

One day Neighbor is butchering a hog.  He comes over several times to borrow her washbasin, big scalding kettle, butcher knife, and whetstone.  Laura thinks to herself that he'll be over next to borrow their hog!

In an essay written many years later (not part of the book, published in her local newspaper in Missouri), Laura goes on to say that the week after the hog butchering episode, she asked this neighbor to loan her the newspaper, and was told that they never loaned papers.  But she says that in later times, this neighbor was very good to them at a time when they needed it.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #125 on: February 05, 2009, 01:19:01 PM »
The stupid thing is that about 1/3 or the parking lot was empty he just had to park two spots down from DH in order to get a space.   ::)

Yeah, I've noticed people who's perfectly healthy elsewhere loose the ability to walk an extra few inches when in parking lots.  I wonder if I can get a grant to study this phenomenon?

extranormal

« Reply #126 on: February 05, 2009, 01:19:25 PM »

Well, you're a scientist, Shaker. Tell us: how many SSs need to amass before the resulting entity can cavort?

hot_shaker

• Super Hero!
  • Friendly EHell Crank
« Reply #127 on: February 05, 2009, 01:30:09 PM »

Well, you're a scientist, Shaker. Tell us: how many SSs need to amass before the resulting entity can cavort?

Sounds like chemistry and/or physics which is just not something I do.  :P 

Here's what I can do:
* Set up a nice pedigree and trace the Special Snowflake trait throughout a family lineage
* Determine the mutation (and it is clearly a mutation  >:D) that causes them to act the way do.  Maybe create some sort of prenatal test to detect the trait.
* A study to determine the contribution of genetic factors versus environmental factors
* If we can get enough of them, I can also perform breeding experiments to create a Super Special Snowflake (of course though, Little Tart may already qualify for that title)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 01:31:58 PM by hot_shaker »

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Trust me, I'm a scientist.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Raised on the East Coast,
living in the Mid-West.

Xallanthia

• Super Hero!
« Reply #128 on: February 05, 2009, 01:51:46 PM »

Sounds like chemistry and/or physics which is just not something I do.  :P 

Here's what I can do:
* Set up a nice pedigree and trace the Special Snowflake trait throughout a family lineage
* Determine the mutation (and it is clearly a mutation  >:D) that causes them to act the way do.  Maybe create some sort of prenatal test to detect the trait.
* A study to determine the contribution of genetic factors versus environmental factors
* If we can get enough of them, I can also perform breeding experiments to create a Super Special Snowflake (of course though, Little Tart may already qualify for that title)

Additionally, we can determine if, as far as it is genetic, it is a dominant or recessive trait, and the rate of reverse mutation back to Normal Human Being, based on the rate of sane people born to Special Snowflake parents.

thebeckster

« Reply #129 on: February 05, 2009, 01:54:14 PM »
Based purely on observation it HAS to be a dominant trait.

caranfin

• Super Hero!
  • I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords.
« Reply #130 on: February 05, 2009, 01:57:21 PM »
But aren't you ignoring the whole nature vs nurture argument? Are special snowflakes born, or made?
He was not at all afraid to be killed in nasty ways.

Xallanthia

• Super Hero!
« Reply #131 on: February 05, 2009, 02:04:59 PM »
But aren't you ignoring the whole nature vs nurture argument? Are special snowflakes born, or made?

Almost everything is a combination of both; I'm inclined to say "born with the inclination, made into the full form!"

hot_shaker

• Super Hero!
  • Friendly EHell Crank
« Reply #132 on: February 05, 2009, 02:07:02 PM »

That's what I meant by genetic vs. environmental factors.  My hypothesis is that there's a genetic predisposition that makes them somewhat self-centered and greedy but some sort of environment factor (i.e., overindulgent parents) pushes them full on into Special Snowflakedom.  Sadly, if you think about, the Special Snowflake trait would probably be selected for because, well, if you're willing to push a handicap child out of the way to make a plane, you'll probably have no compunction about doing what it takes to get food, shelter, and mates.  The Special Snowflakes are survivors, I tell you!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Trust me, I'm a scientist.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Raised on the East Coast,
living in the Mid-West.

BabyMama

• Jamberry Nail Wraps
« Reply #133 on: February 05, 2009, 02:22:57 PM »
Just remember, although there are many special snowflakes, no two special snowflakes are exactly the same ;)
Ask me about Jamberry Nail Wraps!

caranfin

• Super Hero!
  • I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords.
« Reply #134 on: February 05, 2009, 02:45:31 PM »
Just remember, although there are many special snowflakes, no two special snowflakes are exactly the same ;)

And some are much, much more special than others.
He was not at all afraid to be killed in nasty ways.