Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5748309 times)

Moralia

• That's just tacky, tacky, tacky!
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #135 on: February 05, 2009, 03:25:41 PM »
I went through the Latin dictionary to find some good words for the scientific name of Special Snowflakes and came up with the following:
Eximius Nivis-Crustae
Special Snow-Flake

Coralreef

« Reply #136 on: February 05, 2009, 03:39:58 PM »

*giggles at the image of a herd of special snowflakes*

Oh no.  Please say they don't all travel together at some point.  One or two at a time is one thing, but en masse?!  YIKES!

I wonder what happens when two Special Snowflakes meet?  I bet it's not pretty.

Well, you're a scientist, Shaker. Tell us: how many SSs need to amass before the resulting entity can cavort?

Sounds like chemistry and/or physics which is just not something I do.  :P 

Here's what I can do:
* Set up a nice pedigree and trace the Special Snowflake trait throughout a family lineage
* Determine the mutation (and it is clearly a mutation  >:D) that causes them to act the way do.  Maybe create some sort of prenatal test to detect the trait.
* A study to determine the contribution of genetic factors versus environmental factors
* If we can get enough of them, I can also perform breeding experiments to create a Super Special Snowflake (of course though, Little Tart may already qualify for that title)

Well, I can do a part of the chemistry/physics: we need to know the average mass of the Special Snowflakes and the speed at which they claim their specialness.  Then, we could probably calculate the amount of enthalpy generated (heat/steam from aggravated bystander) and enthropy (general chaos) left in their wake.  Then we could probably generate some kind of device to counterbalance the effect they have on their environment.  Although a clue by four seems about right. 

As for the cavorting, I would recommend keeping them away from each other, just in case they get to producing offsprings.  The Special Snowflakeness could be squared instead of doubled.  If that is the case, RUN FOR YOUR LIFE! 

[/right

extranormal

« Reply #137 on: February 05, 2009, 03:40:54 PM »
Exponential Snowflakes! AAAAAHHH!

Coralreef

« Reply #138 on: February 05, 2009, 03:51:03 PM »

I know, the horror! 

[/right

penguinpants

« Reply #139 on: February 05, 2009, 04:37:10 PM »
Occasionally, I require a cane.  While attending an exhibit at an art museum, which wasn't at all crowded, a woman came running up to the piece I was viewing, slammed in to me, and sent me sprawling to the floor.  I landed on my cane, and it took some time to disengage myself, untangle my skirt, get my shoe back on, and right myself.  I was sore, shaken, embarrassed, and quite angry.  She simply stood there, bellowing to her friends, about how the work wasn't "that special," and made no apologies or attempts to assist me.  None of her friends offered.  The museum guard simply stopped her when she started touching the work (she set off an alarm), but made no mention of how she'd knocked me over (perhaps he didn't see?).  I've noticed that people seem attracted to the cane, in that sense -- I frequently get knocked into and over while using it.  This has made me increasingly aware of other cane/walker users, even when my legs are steady and I'm not in need.  I've noticed that these other cane/walker users seem to attract the same attention.  I guess disabled people don't have the same rights to view artwork?  To make purchases?  To use a hallway? 

I swear ... next time this happens, I'm going to "accidentally" whack the offender with the cane, and say, "Oh, my apologies . . . when you slammed into me, you set me off balance."
Surprises are foolish things. The pleasure is not enhanced, and the inconvenience is often considerable. -- Jane Austen

tartxcherries

• Bears.Beets.Battlestar Galactica!
« Reply #140 on: February 05, 2009, 04:42:27 PM »

Darn you guys! I'm not supposed to be on here much at work! You are all going to make me give myself away!! ;D

Glaceon

• Pokemon Trainer
« Reply #141 on: February 05, 2009, 05:00:03 PM »
I have a SS story, but it's not quite as good as the rest of yours..

I was shopping at Marshalls' (discount department store) last weekend. When you go into the fitting room there, you are only allowed to bring 8 items in at a time. The rest you can leave in your cart outside the fitting room & can swap out as you try things on.
The typical method is:
     Bring your 8 items to the attendant. She counts the items & gives a number. You try them on, come back out, turn the number & whatever items you don't want in to the attendant. You then go to your cart & start the process over again.

While I was out exchanging items, waiting for the attendant to count my items, I watched a girl walking in without waiting.
When the attendant stopped her, she got very exasperated, saying she was just exchanging. She got upset at being told she still had to go through the process, because, why should she wait when she was just exchanging. She finally went back into the line when I pointed out that I was just exchanging also... sigh...

Oh, do not get me started on this.  The store I work at has a similar policy and as the fitting room attendant I have to enforce it.  You wouldn't believe the things people say and do in this situation, as though it were the worst, most offensive thing possible. 

I'm also glad to hear some other store does this, as I am frequently told that we are the onnnnnnllllllyyyy store in the whole world that holds people to a limit.

Clara Bow

• Super Hero!
  • I gotta go.
« Reply #142 on: February 05, 2009, 05:47:24 PM »
I have a SS story, but it's not quite as good as the rest of yours..

I was shopping at Marshalls' (discount department store) last weekend. When you go into the fitting room there, you are only allowed to bring 8 items in at a time. The rest you can leave in your cart outside the fitting room & can swap out as you try things on.
The typical method is:
     Bring your 8 items to the attendant. She counts the items & gives a number. You try them on, come back out, turn the number & whatever items you don't want in to the attendant. You then go to your cart & start the process over again.

While I was out exchanging items, waiting for the attendant to count my items, I watched a girl walking in without waiting.
When the attendant stopped her, she got very exasperated, saying she was just exchanging. She got upset at being told she still had to go through the process, because, why should she wait when she was just exchanging. She finally went back into the line when I pointed out that I was just exchanging also... sigh...

Oh, do not get me started on this.  The store I work at has a similar policy and as the fitting room attendant I have to enforce it.  You wouldn't believe the things people say and do in this situation, as though it were the worst, most offensive thing possible. 

I'm also glad to hear some other store does this, as I am frequently told that we are the onnnnnnllllllyyyy store in the whole world that holds people to a limit.

This has got to be the oldest shoplifting ploy in the entire universe. I never worked clothing retail and I know about it....don't tell me that about half of them aren't on the take.
I have finally found the bar I can't get thrown out of....

Night_owl

« Reply #143 on: February 05, 2009, 05:48:08 PM »
My special snowflake is actually an old friend and normally polite and reasonable woman.  She's a nurse at the hospital where I work.  Due to the parking shortage, ALL dayshift personnel are required to park off site and take a shuttle to the the hospital.. It is inconvenient and adds 30 minutes my commute.  At the end of 12 hour shift, the last thing I want to do is wait for a shuttle on cold, dark January night.  

SS decided to start parking in the garage, which is reserved for patients and employees with more then 40 years of service.  If too many staff park in the garage, patients and visitors are unable to find parking as are the off shift employees.  After several weeks of parking in the garage, she starts bragging about how smarter she is than the rest of us.  She can sleep later, pay less for daycare etc....

Last week, after her shift, she goes get her car and it is......gone!  She calls security to report her car stolen.  The head of security comes and tells SS, her car has been impounded.  She's enraged, how could they do this without warning?  Apparently, she had received four tickets for illegal parking via her email.  She is furious, she never checks her work email, a basic job requirement.  After the fifth ticket, security tows your car and it is impounded until all the tickets and impound fees (over $400) are paid.  If there is a sixth ticket, her employment is terminated.

She complained bitterly for days, that the least security could've done is left her paper tickets.  Who expects her to check her email?  After all, nothing important is ever sent through employee email........  Now, SS has to get up 15 minutes early and wait in the cold with the rest of us peons!  SS wants to know who told security she was parking in the garage!  Well, you have to register your car when you're hired.  SS forgot about that and the housekeeper that has worked at the hospital for 45 years, she had park offsite and take the shuttle and was late to work for the first time in 45 years.  SS treats the housekeeper like dirt, instead of a beloved and kind long time employee that bakes cookies for us........

heathert

« Reply #144 on: February 05, 2009, 06:02:32 PM »
SS forgot about that and the housekeeper that has worked at the hospital for 45 years, she had park offsite and take the shuttle and was late to work for the first time in 45 years.  SS treats the housekeeper like dirt, instead of a beloved and kind long time employee that bakes cookies for us........

Wow, I know she is an old friend and normally reasonable so I hope that means she does a lot of volunteer work and maybe is distracted due to issues at home or something.

In any case, I have a story myself. I work as a CSR and sometimes we get irate people. Occasionally we have to work a Saturday with just the two of us and no supervisors or underwriters for four hours. Of course, people don't understand that, even though that is normal practice and get upset.  I was working a Saturday with SS and she had a difficult person on the line. Now bear in mind we are on the same level. I did start at this position before she did but I am not a supervisor in any sense of the work. Well, SS wanted to send this customer over for me to deal with! I told her flat out No, I am not your supervisor and as such I will not clean up your messes. She just kind of opened and shut her jaw and did what she should've done in the first place. The sad thing she, she was promoted but the good thing is, she is no longer in my state so I don't have to deal with her.

Heather

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #145 on: February 05, 2009, 06:03:58 PM »
Occasionally, I require a cane.  While attending an exhibit at an art museum, which wasn't at all crowded, a woman came running up to the piece I was viewing, slammed in to me, and sent me sprawling to the floor.  I landed on my cane, and it took some time to disengage myself, untangle my skirt, get my shoe back on, and right myself.  I was sore, shaken, embarrassed, and quite angry.  She simply stood there, bellowing to her friends, about how the work wasn't "that special," and made no apologies or attempts to assist me.  None of her friends offered.  The museum guard simply stopped her when she started touching the work (she set off an alarm), but made no mention of how she'd knocked me over (perhaps he didn't see?).  I've noticed that people seem attracted to the cane, in that sense -- I frequently get knocked into and over while using it.  This has made me increasingly aware of other cane/walker users, even when my legs are steady and I'm not in need.  I've noticed that these other cane/walker users seem to attract the same attention.  I guess disabled people don't have the same rights to view artwork?  To make purchases?  To use a hallway? 

I swear ... next time this happens, I'm going to "accidentally" whack the offender with the cane, and say, "Oh, my apologies . . . when you slammed into me, you set me off balance."

I've got a similar story, except that it wasn't so much "special snowflake" as it was "little boy who needed a refresher in manners around people with canes."  An Air Force officer walked in with his father just as a little boy of about 3 and his mother were leaving at the clinic where I used to work.  The little boy bumped into the old man and knocked the old man's cane it out of his hand.  The little boy's mother was mortified and apologized, and made the little boy apologize.  The old man was very gracious; he later told me that he had just turned 100 years old, so I'm glad the little boy hadn't knocked the old man down.

Elle

« Reply #146 on: February 05, 2009, 06:10:20 PM »
Just remember, although there are many special snowflakes, no two special snowflakes are exactly the same ;)

And some are much, much more special than others.

But when you bring them inside they all turn into drips

onikenbai

« Reply #147 on: February 05, 2009, 06:17:14 PM »

*giggles at the image of a herd of special snowflakes*

Oh no.  Please say they don't all travel together at some point.  One or two at a time is one thing, but en masse?!  YIKES!

I wonder what happens when two Special Snowflakes meet?  I bet it's not pretty.

Well, you're a scientist, Shaker. Tell us: how many SSs need to amass before the resulting entity can cavort?

Sounds like chemistry and/or physics which is just not something I do.  :P 

Here's what I can do:
* Set up a nice pedigree and trace the Special Snowflake trait throughout a family lineage
* Determine the mutation (and it is clearly a mutation  >:D) that causes them to act the way do.  Maybe create some sort of prenatal test to detect the trait.
* A study to determine the contribution of genetic factors versus environmental factors
* If we can get enough of them, I can also perform breeding experiments to create a Super Special Snowflake (of course though, Little Tart may already qualify for that title)

Well, I can do a part of the chemistry/physics: we need to know the average mass of the Special Snowflakes and the speed at which they claim their specialness.  Then, we could probably calculate the amount of enthalpy generated (heat/steam from aggravated bystander) and enthropy (general chaos) left in their wake.  Then we could probably generate some kind of device to counterbalance the effect they have on their environment.  Although a clue by four seems about right. 

As for the cavorting, I would recommend keeping them away from each other, just in case they get to producing offsprings.  The Special Snowflakeness could be squared instead of doubled.  If that is the case, RUN FOR YOUR LIFE! 

I assume the special snowflakes are highly polar (or even bipolar) molecules so they're only going to get together if everything is arranged perfectly to their liking, and not share their little hoards of electrons with the others. 

magicdomino

« Reply #148 on: February 05, 2009, 06:21:45 PM »
I've noticed that people seem attracted to the cane, in that sense -- I frequently get knocked into and over while using it.  This has made me increasingly aware of other cane/walker users, even when my legs are steady and I'm not in need.  I've noticed that these other cane/walker users seem to attract the same attention.  I guess disabled people don't have the same rights to view artwork?  To make purchases?  To use a hallway? 

This reminds me of someone else's Special Snowflake.  He was getting off of the escalator to the subway, when Snowflake shoved him from the side, snarling "Why don't you watch where you are going?" knocking him to the ground on top of his cane.  His white cane.  The gentleman reported total silence for a moment, then several kind souls helped him up and gave him the damaged cane.  He has no idea if Snowflake even noticed that he had knocked over a blind man.

Clara Bow

• Super Hero!
  • I gotta go.
« Reply #149 on: February 05, 2009, 06:27:36 PM »
I've noticed that people seem attracted to the cane, in that sense -- I frequently get knocked into and over while using it.  This has made me increasingly aware of other cane/walker users, even when my legs are steady and I'm not in need.  I've noticed that these other cane/walker users seem to attract the same attention.  I guess disabled people don't have the same rights to view artwork?  To make purchases?  To use a hallway? 

This reminds me of someone else's Special Snowflake.  He was getting off of the escalator to the subway, when Snowflake shoved him from the side, snarling "Why don't you watch where you are going?" knocking him to the ground on top of his cane.  His white cane.  The gentleman reported total silence for a moment, then several kind souls helped him up and gave him the damaged cane.  He has no idea if Snowflake even noticed that he had knocked over a blind man.

Man, the karma faerie keeps a sweatsock with a billiard ball in it for stuff like this.
I have finally found the bar I can't get thrown out of....