Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5107208 times)

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #4755 on: July 01, 2010, 02:04:07 PM »
and she managed to get SAFELY across 3 lanes of traffic...

I agree, but it was just strange to watch.
The lady was at a crosswalk, with a pedestrian signal and everything.
Traffic on this road is steady, but far from heavy. Crossing would have  been very easy.

She ran across one lane of traffic to get in the car, only to be driven into the parking lot of a strip mall.
Seriously, the total distance she was driven was about 100'.

Just...strange.

Garden Goblin

« Reply #4756 on: July 01, 2010, 02:54:25 PM »
I have EEggers too. Mine only lay greens though, my last blue layer passed away this winter. They're funny looking birds.

My ducks lay pale blue eggs.  I've also lost count of the people who think they should be allowed to have duck eggs at the chicken egg price.  The duck eggs are seasonal and I already don't have enough for the people who want them at full price, why should I give you a break?

The people who want the blown duck eggs are even worse.  Those are all paid for in advance and just awaiting their owners to pick them up, but I should just hand them over because little Suzie wants one.

And don't even get me started on the folks whose kids want feathers and think I should be just thrilled to go yank on a bird's tail. 

magician5

« Reply #4757 on: July 01, 2010, 03:24:51 PM »
On a side note, I'm desperately curious, what breeds of chickens/fowl lay blue and green eggs?
Aracuana
Wow! Every day is Easter!
There is no 'way to peace.' Peace is the way.

magician5

« Reply #4758 on: July 01, 2010, 03:27:27 PM »
But seriously, a fire alarm evacuation...and using the elevator.

Make 'em watch THE TOWERING INFERNO. After that one scene, they'll never do that again.
There is no 'way to peace.' Peace is the way.

Coralreef

« Reply #4759 on: July 01, 2010, 03:34:44 PM »
But seriously, a fire alarm evacuation...and using the elevator.

Make 'em watch THE TOWERING INFERNO. After that one scene, they'll never do that again.

Just got ninja'ed... I was thinking the exact same thing.

[/right

Garden Goblin

« Reply #4760 on: July 01, 2010, 04:34:57 PM »
On a side note, I'm desperately curious, what breeds of chickens/fowl lay blue and green eggs?
Aracuana
Wow! Every day is Easter!

Especially when they are free range and thus lay their eggs everywhere.

Doll Fiend

• The Dolls are in the Garden and in my Head.
« Reply #4761 on: July 01, 2010, 05:21:50 PM »
And now I seriously want a pet chicken! I must look up the area's laws regarding chickens!

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4762 on: July 01, 2010, 07:52:42 PM »
AnotherSpecial Snowflake, subspecies "No one's going to touch my car." Person at a local Fuddrucker's parked --

Not between two parking spaces --

But between four, situated that no one except someone on a moped would have been able to fit into any of the four spots.

I don't care how valuable your car is: If it can fit into one parking space ,you put it into one parking space!

Rob
Oh, have I got a Karma story about THAT!

About 20 years ago, DH was stationed at a small US base in Yorkshire.  Yorkshire is sheep country big time.

SS had a shiny new ex$$$$pensive sports car.  A black sports car with a reflection like a mirror.  He routinely parked in four slots as above.  One day a ram got out of the neighboring field and into the parking lot.  Ram wanders around until he comes across the sports car -- and in its shiny reflective door he sees another ram.  WHAM!  Geez, that other ram butts back hard.  WHAM!  and WHAM!  Lather, rinse, repeat about 7 times, until the entire side of the car is so battered that Mr. Ram can't see his 'rival' any more.  It is reported that SS suffered much anguish.

And of course, if he'd parked in one slot with the rest of the peasants, his car would not have shown Mr. Ram his reflection...   >:D
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #4763 on: July 01, 2010, 07:55:48 PM »
I have EEggers too. Mine only lay greens though, my last blue layer passed away this winter. They're funny looking birds.

My ducks lay pale blue eggs.  I've also lost count of the people who think they should be allowed to have duck eggs at the chicken egg price.  The duck eggs are seasonal and I already don't have enough for the people who want them at full price, why should I give you a break?

The people who want the blown duck eggs are even worse.  Those are all paid for in advance and just awaiting their owners to pick them up, but I should just hand them over because little Suzie wants one.

And don't even get me started on the folks whose kids want feathers and think I should be just thrilled to go yank on a bird's tail. 

Poor birds! how would they like it if you yanked their kid's hair out? I occasionally collect fallen feathers for my niece who likes to make art with them, but to yank them right out of the bird, that's shameful.

Mmmm.... Duck eggs...

Now i want my geese back. nothing makes a cake like a goose egg. I have to go sulk about my geese now. And our chickens have free reign of the back yard right now, but thankfully prefer to lay i the boxes. Lucky meto have such good tempered hens.

I need more chickens... Maybe I'll get those Giant ones, do you by any chance have experience with Jersy giants?

ladycrim

• Where there is cake there is hope, and there is always cake.
  • All hail the kitty
« Reply #4764 on: July 01, 2010, 08:09:30 PM »

Poor birds! how would they like it if you yanked their kid's hair out? I occasionally collect fallen feathers for my niece who likes to make art with them, but to yank them right out of the bird, that's shameful.

That might make a good argument, actually:

SS: "My kid wants some of your duck's tail feathers."

Duck Owner: "I'm sorry, there aren't any loose feathers right now.  They're all attached to the ducks."

SS: "So?  Just pull some!  The ducks won't mind!"

Owner: "Will you pull out some of your child's hair by the roots?  Because the duck will feel the same pain."

(OK, it's wishful thinking, but still ...)

And as for the SS sports car story, I'm torn between ROTFL and "Ohh, I hope the ram didn't hurt himself!"

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4765 on: July 01, 2010, 08:30:43 PM »
At the grocery store: SS "dairyisapreciouscommodity-ius"

I was in the dairy section, by myself, picking up two gallons of milk.  SS comes up to me and says "Two gallons, huh?  You must have a few kids at home!".  I said, "No, this is just for my husband and I; we like milk".  SS immediately starts ranting about how we shouldn't be drinking milk, only kids need to drink milk and we should be saving this milk for parents who actually need it.  ??? :o 
She must have been related to my MIL (a SS in her own right).  Only children were supposed to drink milk.  Adults were supposed to drink coffee. DH will drink coffee if someone else is to be companionable, but both of us prefer tea or milk.  Somehow I was forcing her son to drink 1.5 gallons of milk a week.  ::)   

And she would gripe about how expensive it was to buy milk when all 4 of us came, and how much space it took in the refrigerator.  It would have been considerably less expensive and space-consuming if she'd bought gallon jugs instead of half gallons... 
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

Garden Goblin

« Reply #4766 on: July 01, 2010, 09:21:27 PM »
Maybe I'll get those Giant ones, do you by any chance have experience with Jersy giants?

Only place I found good-looking healthy ones wanted an arm and half a leg for them.  I'll stick to my Rhodes, they lay just as big an egg and get meat on their bones faster.

Jess13

« Reply #4767 on: July 01, 2010, 10:18:32 PM »
I have 2 stories to add...

I was at the bank cashing a check I get every 2 weeks when this very elderly man wobbled in. The teller 3 spaces down from the one where I was being helped called out that she could help him. He ignored her (probably couldn't hear her?). She called out again. Still nothing. Then he decides he's waited too long standing and walks 3 feet farther to sit down. The teller gets a little louder and calls out for the 3rd time that she can help him and he finally hears it. And calls out, "No, you come down here! That's too far for me to go!". She, smartly, tells him that he can wait for the teller I'm at then since she's closer to him. The SS part of all of this (beyond his request) is that he would have to walk past the teller stations anyway to get back out of the bank! So he wouldn't be walking any place out of his way to get his banking done!!

Today I stopped to grab some light groceries on my way home from helping my future-mother-in-law with something and was waiting in what felt like the worlds longest line for the express lane (20 items or fewer). It's set up with 2 rows of registers, I'm waiting for the cashier in the front lane, already slightly past the back row one. Turns out the woman 3 people ahead of me had FAR more than 20 items. Grr. But then, to make matters even more SS, a supervisor comes over to the back register to open for those of us who have been waiting and specifically calls out "I can take whomever is next!". So I check with the lady in front of me, who decides to stay in the line, and start to scootch back the 2 feet or so to get to the newly opened register, to see the woman BEHIND me starting to unload her stuff! I politely said "excuse me, but I'm actually next" and she gave me the grumpy stare, took off her items and backed up so that I could somewhat get my stuff down. She had me so blocked that I felt twisted sideways to actually unload my stuff, but geeze woman, I'm clearly AHEAD of you in line, what gives?

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #4768 on: July 01, 2010, 11:27:26 PM »

That might make a good argument, actually:

SS: "My kid wants some of your duck's tail feathers."

Duck Owner: "I'm sorry, there aren't any loose feathers right now.  They're all attached to the ducks."

SS: "So?  Just pull some!  The ducks won't mind!"

Owner: "Will you pull out some of your child's hair by the roots?  Because the duck will feel the same pain."

(OK, it's wishful thinking, but still ...)

And as for the SS sports car story, I'm torn between ROTFL and "Ohh, I hope the ram didn't hurt himself!"

With the change, I don't think it would be a rude comment depending on tone. People are used to thinking of feathers as something you find loose on the ground. They have probably never plucked a bird. It probably doesn't register that it hurts the bird to have a feather pulled out.

If you use the child's hair as an example, they might see it more as an attack. Put them in that place they may see reason.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Shea

« Reply #4769 on: July 01, 2010, 11:52:48 PM »
Aracuana

Also Ameraucanas, their cousins. I used to breed both when I was a kid. They make good pets too, as chickens go.

yup.

I have a Americauna rooster that is my baby. He lays in my lap in the morning to her his head scratched.

I had an pet Araucana hen from when I was ten until maybe fourteen or fifteen. I raised her by hand and she used to ride around on my shoulder and snuggle in my lap. She gave me green eggs. Good chicken :).

If a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, librarians are a global threat.