Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5235421 times)

Craftyone

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #8985 on: April 21, 2011, 09:04:02 PM »
It definitely sounds like she's miffed that her fantasy bubble has been burst.

TeamBhakta

« Reply #8986 on: April 21, 2011, 10:56:42 PM »
One time I was a special snowflake. My sister's friends hosted a bridal shower for her. One of the activities was a word game. Each person had to read out their word list after time was called. I was the last person to read and I had 40 words, which was more than everyone else. So after I'm done reading, the hostess says something about "Good job guys. Everyone was so creative! And the winner of the prize is....(Bride to be), you won! Yay!" I was thinking "What ? She only came up with three words. That's lame, Hostess  ???" When the hostess pulled out the prize, the ugliest "free with purchase" candle and change purse that ever existed, I went "Okay, that prize was so not worth the special snowflake trip just now.  ;)"

L.A. Lady

« Reply #8987 on: April 22, 2011, 12:10:11 AM »
One time I was a special snowflake. My sister's friends hosted a bridal shower for her. One of the activities was a word game. Each person had to read out their word list after time was called. I was the last person to read and I had 40 words, which was more than everyone else. So after I'm done reading, the hostess says something about "Good job guys. Everyone was so creative! And the winner of the prize is....(Bride to be), you won! Yay!" I was thinking "What ? She only came up with three words. That's lame, Hostess  ???" When the hostess pulled out the prize, the ugliest "free with purchase" candle and change purse that ever existed, I went "Okay, that prize was so not worth the special snowflake trip just now.  ;)"

A coworker a few years ago, went around to collect 5 dollars from everyone in our small department to purchase a gift for another coworker's wedding.
Yeah, she gave coworker a duffle bag that was a gift with purchase of some men's cologne.  ::)
We recognized it right away as we worked in a department store and that was one of the promotions.

CuriousGeorge

« Reply #8988 on: April 22, 2011, 01:50:37 AM »
A coworker a few years ago, went around to collect 5 dollars from everyone in our small department to purchase a gift for another coworker's wedding.
Yeah, she gave coworker a duffle bag that was a gift with purchase of some men's cologne.  ::)
We recognized it right away as we worked in a department store and that was one of the promotions.

! Please tell me somebody confronted her about that.  That's totally stealing!   >:(

Akarui Kibuno

« Reply #8989 on: April 22, 2011, 09:05:50 AM »
SS Last monday in Paris :

I went to see the Jeff Dunham show at the Olympia venue. This venue has two bars, but they're rather small, so they do not have many goods, depending on which day it is I guess. When I approached said bar to get water and candy, all the lady had left in terms of food was ham and cheese sandwiches.

She was serving a customer, told him about what she had, another heard that and started being all angry. What about people who don't eat pork, you should have more stuff, blah de blah... I didn't say anything because it wasn't my place, but really, the Olympia venue is not a restaurant -_- ... of course it would be nice if they had a bigger selection, but I thought it was pretty bad that this guy was so nasty the the bar attendant, who just looked at him in disbelief.
My FB rants blog (English) - My personal site (French)
A click on one of the ads every so often would help a lot if possible. Thank you <3 .

Íkorna

« Reply #8990 on: April 22, 2011, 09:11:48 AM »

I went to see the Jeff Dunham show at the Olympia venue. This venue has two bars, but they're rather small, so they do not have many goods, depending on which day it is I guess. When I approached said bar to get water and candy, all the lady had left in terms of food was ham and cheese sandwiches.

She was serving a customer, told him about what she had, another heard that and started being all angry. What about people who don't eat pork, you should have more stuff, blah de blah... I didn't say anything because it wasn't my place, but really, the Olympia venue is not a restaurant -_- ... of course it would be nice if they had a bigger selection, but I thought it was pretty bad that this guy was so nasty the the bar attendant, who just looked at him in disbelief.

And of course she's the one who's choosing and ordering all the food...  ::)

Akarui Kibuno

« Reply #8991 on: April 22, 2011, 11:03:43 AM »

And of course she's the one who's choosing and ordering all the food...  ::)

Yes, exactly! I had bought a Frappucino and a piece of carrot cake at the nearby Starbucks before picking up my ticket anyway, so I didn't think I'd be super hungry. Besides, just like in cinemas, the prices are quite high. But the guy's protesting, yikes... oh well, I still got to enjoy the show fully. Good thing I didn't end up seated near the guy  ;D
My FB rants blog (English) - My personal site (French)
A click on one of the ads every so often would help a lot if possible. Thank you <3 .

suzieQ

« Reply #8992 on: April 22, 2011, 11:55:26 AM »
I work at an afterschool care run by and housed in a church. We once had a mom get angry because we have a Bible study daily and she didn't want her child to be reading the Bible. Hello!? It's in a church!? If you don't like it, take your child to another program.

Every year my church has a fate day for the suburbs around it. Its a pretty big and popular event; people in and outside the church mark it up in their diaries, and the church community is happy that a little of our tithe goes to this event (everything is free but the sausage sizzle and the bake sale which are $1 apiece). Its been described as one part outreach, one part bonding with the community, and three parts 'fun and jumping castles for everybody!'.
So; its paid for by the church, run by the church, on church ground. Everyone working at the fate - people at the sausage sizzle, the face painters, the people manning the jumping castles - is either a member of the church. hired specialty acts (snake handler, petting zoo, ventriloquist) or public services that had been invited to set up a display (police, firemen).   All fliers and posters call it "ABC Church Family Fate".

Mr and Mrs SS are, apparently, not a part of the church. And she is angry that their family might be exposed to anything religious. So much so that they come barging up to the center stage, where musicians are playing, and begin to scream obscenities at them because they were playing a well-known hymn. One of the pastors comes over to try and placate them, but they continue to scream and stomp and make a scene about exposing their children to religion without their permission.
At a church fate. Which is free. And on the steps of a church. With the great big sign with the words "ABC Church Family Fate" hanging directly on top of the center stage they are yelling at.  I couldn't make this up if I wanted to.

In the end, the nice policemen who had been invited to be there as a part of the fate (right next to the firemen and their firetruck) and ask them to leave, because they were interrupting a privately hosted fate on private property. They did leave, but they continued to yell, honking their horn and giving the entire fate the finger as they drove away with their kids.

Owww...*holds head in hands* I really wish you were kidding...but I know from experience that there are people that are just that entitled. And I love how they slam a church for exposing their children to religion, but show no good authority figure stance to their children. My dad is agnostic and my mom is religious, but they both taught me and my sister good manners, respect, etc., because those kinds of rules and expectations transcend religious belief. You can explain to a kid why it's wrong to steal, for instance, without saying "Well, Deity tells us not to" (which is not a strong argument in the first place).
Check out my crocheted cross body bags for phones!

http://phlings.blogspot.com/

ginlyn32

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8993 on: April 22, 2011, 12:43:55 PM »
The company where I work has a policy that each employee can only have 2 personal desk trinkets (pen holders, staplers, etc. are different), in order to keep everything clean and orderly.  Due to this, many employees have brought in digital photo frames in order to have more than one picture on display at a time.  The photos are still work appropriate: pictures of friends, family & pets, that sort of things.

Recently, one of our employees, Matt was married.  He and his wife went on a honeymoon somewhere tropical, and when he got back at the beginning of the week, he uploaded 5 new photos to his frame: 1 of himself and his wife together on their wedding day, 1 of just his wife in her gown, 1 of the view from their hotel room, and 2 of them on vacation.  Another employee, Karen, finds the 3 vacation photos completely inappropriate and went to our supervisor yesterday to demand they be removed as they make her uncomfortable.

Supervisor tells Karen the photos are fine, and to stop complaining about them.  Today, Karen saw one of the photos and proceeded to tell the whole team in detail how inappropriate they are.  It's not as though they were even swimsuit photos: both Matt & his wife are wearing shorts and tee shirts that are perfectly appropriate. They're not holding any sort of alcoholic beverages, and there's nothing in the background of the pictures that is offensive (except maybe the tropical climate, lol).  No, Karen's issue is that they're inappropriate as they're honeymoon photos and EVERYONE knows that people play *whisper* Scrabble */whisper* while on their honeymoon.  Therefore, Matt is flaunting the fact that he plays Scrabble in the workplace, which is inappropriate.

HR is currently giving Karen a lesson about what is and is not harassment in the workplace.

Are you sure you don't work for Dundler-Mifflen and that your co worker's name isn't Angela?

ginlyn
Don't Tread On Me!!!!!

LeeLee88

« Reply #8994 on: April 22, 2011, 01:19:26 PM »
The company where I work has a policy that each employee can only have 2 personal desk trinkets (pen holders, staplers, etc. are different), in order to keep everything clean and orderly.  Due to this, many employees have brought in digital photo frames in order to have more than one picture on display at a time.  The photos are still work appropriate: pictures of friends, family & pets, that sort of things.

Recently, one of our employees, Matt was married.  He and his wife went on a honeymoon somewhere tropical, and when he got back at the beginning of the week, he uploaded 5 new photos to his frame: 1 of himself and his wife together on their wedding day, 1 of just his wife in her gown, 1 of the view from their hotel room, and 2 of them on vacation.  Another employee, Karen, finds the 3 vacation photos completely inappropriate and went to our supervisor yesterday to demand they be removed as they make her uncomfortable.

Supervisor tells Karen the photos are fine, and to stop complaining about them.  Today, Karen saw one of the photos and proceeded to tell the whole team in detail how inappropriate they are.  It's not as though they were even swimsuit photos: both Matt & his wife are wearing shorts and tee shirts that are perfectly appropriate. They're not holding any sort of alcoholic beverages, and there's nothing in the background of the pictures that is offensive (except maybe the tropical climate, lol).  No, Karen's issue is that they're inappropriate as they're honeymoon photos and EVERYONE knows that people play *whisper* Scrabble */whisper* while on their honeymoon.  Therefore, Matt is flaunting the fact that he plays Scrabble in the workplace, which is inappropriate.

HR is currently giving Karen a lesson about what is and is not harassment in the workplace.

Are you sure you don't work for Dundler-Mifflen and that your co worker's name isn't Angela?

ginlyn

Right?  Hey, they all have to be based off of real people, right?

PaintingPastelPrincess

• She of 3 P's
« Reply #8995 on: April 22, 2011, 01:57:10 PM »

ginlyn

Right?  Hey, they all have to be based off of real people, right?

Is that The Office?  I only ever watched a few episodes of the British version, the US version makes me want to scream.

Naw, she's an odd duck.  A couple months ago she tried to ban people from drinking anything at their desks, because she doesn't like how things smell.  Understandable, except we're only allowed water at our desks.  She said she's highly sensitive to the chlorine in it, which makes me wonder why so many people apparently like drinking from the imaginary pool, rather than from the filtered water that is provided, free, in the break room.

ladycrim

• Where there is cake there is hope, and there is always cake.
  • All hail the kitty
« Reply #8996 on: April 22, 2011, 02:07:29 PM »

She'd have a coronary if she saw the Rocky Horror photos that I have on my computer screen-saver! (Yes, at work.  Everybody knows I'm on a cast, and they're used to me.  :) Nobody has batted an eye that I know of.)

Sterling

• Oh Stupid Me- Blogs about Things That Drive Me Crazy
« Reply #8997 on: April 22, 2011, 02:11:20 PM »
I have a post it note that has a sketch of a brain and says I Love You Like Rabies.  It was drawn by a student employee who like all good students graduated and moved on. Bet your coworker wouldn't like that to much.
93 93/93

LazyDaisy

« Reply #8998 on: April 22, 2011, 03:06:36 PM »

Is that The Office?  I only ever watched a few episodes of the British version, the US version makes me want to scream.

Naw, she's an odd duck.  A couple months ago she tried to ban people from drinking anything at their desks, because she doesn't like how things smell.  Understandable, except we're only allowed water at our desks.  She said she's highly sensitive to the chlorine in it, which makes me wonder why so many people apparently like drinking from the imaginary pool, rather than from the filtered water that is provided, free, in the break room.
[/quote]

This made me laugh out loud.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." — Douglas Adams

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8999 on: April 22, 2011, 03:31:15 PM »
No, Karen's issue is that they're inappropriate as they're honeymoon photos and EVERYONE knows that people play *whisper* Scrabble */whisper* while on their honeymoon.  Therefore, Matt is flaunting the fact that he plays Scrabble in the workplace, which is inappropriate.

Oh, puh-LEASE, Karen.

That's about what the whole team said, when she was going on and on about it this morning.  It's like she had to really, really, use her imagination to even come to that conclusion.  She's always been a little off, but more so lately.  She got along well with Matt before he was married though...I'm assuming a secret crush, but that's purely an interesting assumption on my part.
Because if there were no pictures, no one would know/realize that Matt and and his new wife played scrabble? ???
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~