Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5396323 times)

Pinky830

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #8970 on: April 19, 2011, 07:15:53 PM »
Sirius - I has some lady stop at my car at the burger joint and give me an earfull about "leaving my dog in the car"

did she not see me ***sitting in the car WITH the dog? ***

(we went to eat out a lot - dog and I)

I take my dog to work most of the time, and I had to go to a work-related meeting directly after work one evening. I left her in the car (it was February in Atlanta, so she was in no danger of either freezing or overheating.) I parked in back by the dumpster; I figured all I needed was for someone to see her, and then I'd be in the paper as the vet who left her dog in the car while she went to a vets' meeting.  ::)

JoanOfArc

« Reply #8971 on: April 19, 2011, 11:52:31 PM »
^^^ reminded me of one from work. I work with developmentally disabled adults and we were hiring for a direct care position. One of the interviewees came for the 2. hour.long. interview ( and was told to clear at least that block of time.). She brought  her dog with her. In July. And when we paged for the owner of the car several times, she didn't answer. She called a few weeks later and wanted to know why did not get the job, was told and responded in a way my boss still talks about ( in her seminars as to how to interview/ not interview) "It's just a dog, it's not like it can talk or anything.") did I mention we work with the developmentally disabled? many of our folks are non-verbal. When she hung up she did not really understand the problem. 

I really gotta wonder what she was doing in our field.
I wonder the same thing some days.  I work with adults with DD too.   It is a bit scary. 
Chicken-keeper, welder, artist, student and lover of all things literary.

T'Mar of Vulcan

• the lost city of Atlantis, the planet Tencton and the moon Pandora!
  • Super Hero!
  • Star Trek will always rule
    • The Flag Waver
« Reply #8972 on: April 20, 2011, 01:01:44 AM »
I never took her anywhere when it was hot or could get hot.  I once found a nasty note on my car chastising me for leaving my dog in the car because she was sure to become overheated...but it was January so it wasn't likely.

Actually, according to Snopes (the page about parents leaving their kids in cars), the outside temperature doesn't matter. Kids forgotten in cars for hours have died during winter.

The only Vulcan from South Africa! :)

NutMeg

« Reply #8973 on: April 20, 2011, 03:47:29 AM »
I'm Canadian, so the idea of leaving a kid/pet in a car in the winter is horrifying to me.
"You're hostages! This is a life-and-death situation here. Start acting like it! We're your captors. We're armed. There's rules. There's a whole school of etiquette to this!" - Dr. Daniel Jackson                

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #8974 on: April 20, 2011, 10:37:10 AM »
I'm Canadian, so the idea of leaving a kid/pet in a car in the winter is horrifying to me.

Well, it depends on how long. The Cairn Terrorist was always quite happy for an hour or so in the winter, as long as the car was well warmed up, and he had his Handsome Coat on (the Handsome Coat was part of the thrill of going out and about). But dogs with lesser amounts of fur, and no Handsome Coat, would last a much shorter period.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Ceiling Fan

« Reply #8975 on: April 20, 2011, 11:00:42 AM »
'Ride along' dogs are really common in some parts of the country, and it's expected that they are left with the windows open in full (usually in beat up pick-up trucks). It's only in the suburbs that people insist on rolling up the windows to protect their investment in their Lexus SUV or whatever.

Morticia

• Stepmonster's Travels
« Reply #8976 on: April 20, 2011, 11:03:07 AM »

Well, it depends on how long. The Cairn Terrorist was always quite happy for an hour or so in the winter, as long as the car was well warmed up, and he had his Handsome Coat on (the Handsome Coat was part of the thrill of going out and about). But dogs with lesser amounts of fur, and no Handsome Coat, would last a much shorter period.

DYAC?
Now our mom says she's changed her mind about the devil's brood, they may be evil so she thinks, but at least they're never rude...
                                        -- Big Rude Jake

My travel blog: http://www.stepmonster.ca

Valentines Mommy

« Reply #8977 on: April 20, 2011, 11:37:10 AM »

Saber and Valentine love car ride. However, they don't get many during the summer.

They are very SS about being told no.

3angels

« Reply #8978 on: April 21, 2011, 12:46:36 PM »
My mother handled a special snowflake with great grace just a couple days ago.

Mom works from January through April for a local accountant, as the accountant's secretary.  This accountant has a very large client base, and she fills her appointments even a year out very quickly. 

Two days ago, the lady came in, and wanted to get her taxes done... that very minute, with no appointment. (Disclaimer: In the U.S. the latest day our income taxes must be mailed in is 4/15, as it is every single year.  If you call looking or waltz in off the street for an appointment on 4/12 to get your taxes done, you will most likely be very out of luck, at least with the small operations like what my mom works for.) 

Mom very politely tells SSLady that there aren't any open slots that day, unfortunately, and goes to say what days are open when SSLady cuts her off and starts yelling about how unacceptable it is that there aren't any appointments open that day, blah blah.  Mom waits for her to finish and says that luckily, she has a couple slots open from clients who had canceled their appointments, but they aren't for that very day.  Mom explains she has an appointment open on Wednesday evening, at around 8 pm.  No, that's far too late, what's wrong with Mom that she'd even suggest that?  Mom then tells SSLady that there is another appointment on Thursday at 2 pm.  No!!  That's far too close to the day, is Mom an idiot?!?!  Mom looks through her book and tells SSLady that she does have an appointment for Wednesday morning at 9:30.  That simply will not do!!!  SSLady has to get her hair done at that time, and this is ridiculous that there aren't any other appointments available, this is stupid, yell yell yell.

Mom says, "Those are our appointments, I'm sorry, but I cannot help you any further than that", and turns around to continue her filing.  The woman carries on for a couple more seconds, and then says, "Ugh.  FINE.  What days are open again?"  Mom repeats them, and the woman starts to grouse, so Mom begins to turn away again.  SSLady blurts out that she'll take {whatever appointment}, and Mom says that's fine, and writes her in for it. 

The best part?  Mom told me that SSLady does this every single year, and that's why she was able to handle it so well.  Every year, Mom tries to get the lady an appointment for next year, and SSLady snarls at her that that's stupid and she'll take her chances.  So every single year, this woman walks in off the street just before taxes are due out, and demands to have her taxes done that very moment, and then yells and carries on when she doesn't get her way.   ::)

The firm I work at did an extension for every existing client that had not brought their documents to us on April 1! No returns are prepared with the client sitting in the office - everyone is drop off and we'll call you when it is done. This process makes it much less stressful on the staff.

PaintingPastelPrincess

• She of 3 P's
« Reply #8979 on: April 21, 2011, 06:08:59 PM »
The company where I work has a policy that each employee can only have 2 personal desk trinkets (pen holders, staplers, etc. are different), in order to keep everything clean and orderly.  Due to this, many employees have brought in digital photo frames in order to have more than one picture on display at a time.  The photos are still work appropriate: pictures of friends, family & pets, that sort of things.

Recently, one of our employees, Matt was married.  He and his wife went on a honeymoon somewhere tropical, and when he got back at the beginning of the week, he uploaded 5 new photos to his frame: 1 of himself and his wife together on their wedding day, 1 of just his wife in her gown, 1 of the view from their hotel room, and 2 of them on vacation.  Another employee, Karen, finds the 3 vacation photos completely inappropriate and went to our supervisor yesterday to demand they be removed as they make her uncomfortable.

Supervisor tells Karen the photos are fine, and to stop complaining about them.  Today, Karen saw one of the photos and proceeded to tell the whole team in detail how inappropriate they are.  It's not as though they were even swimsuit photos: both Matt & his wife are wearing shorts and tee shirts that are perfectly appropriate. They're not holding any sort of alcoholic beverages, and there's nothing in the background of the pictures that is offensive (except maybe the tropical climate, lol).  No, Karen's issue is that they're inappropriate as they're honeymoon photos and EVERYONE knows that people play *whisper* Scrabble */whisper* while on their honeymoon.  Therefore, Matt is flaunting the fact that he plays Scrabble in the workplace, which is inappropriate.

HR is currently giving Karen a lesson about what is and is not harassment in the workplace.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #8980 on: April 21, 2011, 06:14:46 PM »
The company where I work has a policy that each employee can only have 2 personal desk trinkets (pen holders, staplers, etc. are different), in order to keep everything clean and orderly.  Due to this, many employees have brought in digital photo frames in order to have more than one picture on display at a time.  The photos are still work appropriate: pictures of friends, family & pets, that sort of things.

Recently, one of our employees, Matt was married.  He and his wife went on a honeymoon somewhere tropical, and when he got back at the beginning of the week, he uploaded 5 new photos to his frame: 1 of himself and his wife together on their wedding day, 1 of just his wife in her gown, 1 of the view from their hotel room, and 2 of them on vacation.  Another employee, Karen, finds the 3 vacation photos completely inappropriate and went to our supervisor yesterday to demand they be removed as they make her uncomfortable.

Supervisor tells Karen the photos are fine, and to stop complaining about them.  Today, Karen saw one of the photos and proceeded to tell the whole team in detail how inappropriate they are.  It's not as though they were even swimsuit photos: both Matt & his wife are wearing shorts and tee shirts that are perfectly appropriate. They're not holding any sort of alcoholic beverages, and there's nothing in the background of the pictures that is offensive (except maybe the tropical climate, lol).  No, Karen's issue is that they're inappropriate as they're honeymoon photos and EVERYONE knows that people play *whisper* Scrabble */whisper* while on their honeymoon.  Therefore, Matt is flaunting the fact that he plays Scrabble in the workplace, which is inappropriate.

HR is currently giving Karen a lesson about what is and is not harassment in the workplace.

Oh, puh-LEASE, Karen.
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult);  Balrog, Rooney, Rascal, Rocket (M)

Craftyone

« Reply #8981 on: April 21, 2011, 06:22:00 PM »
How is she with photos of people's children? That's a definite sign (not withstanding IVF) that that person has played "scrabble". She wouldn't exist if her parents hadn't played "scrabble"!

PaintingPastelPrincess

• She of 3 P's
« Reply #8982 on: April 21, 2011, 06:29:19 PM »

Oh, puh-LEASE, Karen.

That's about what the whole team said, when she was going on and on about it this morning.  It's like she had to really, really, use her imagination to even come to that conclusion.  She's always been a little off, but more so lately.  She got along well with Matt before he was married though...I'm assuming a secret crush, but that's purely an interesting assumption on my part.

How is she with photos of people's children? That's a definite sign (not withstanding IVF) that that person has played "scrabble". She wouldn't exist if her parents hadn't played "scrabble"!

She has no issue with that...but my coworker and I brought that up amongst the two of us on our break today lol. 

Craftyone

« Reply #8983 on: April 21, 2011, 09:04:02 PM »
It definitely sounds like she's miffed that her fantasy bubble has been burst.

TeamBhakta

« Reply #8984 on: April 21, 2011, 10:56:42 PM »
One time I was a special snowflake. My sister's friends hosted a bridal shower for her. One of the activities was a word game. Each person had to read out their word list after time was called. I was the last person to read and I had 40 words, which was more than everyone else. So after I'm done reading, the hostess says something about "Good job guys. Everyone was so creative! And the winner of the prize is....(Bride to be), you won! Yay!" I was thinking "What ? She only came up with three words. That's lame, Hostess  ???" When the hostess pulled out the prize, the ugliest "free with purchase" candle and change purse that ever existed, I went "Okay, that prize was so not worth the special snowflake trip just now.  ;)"