Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5282026 times)

twiggy

• wonder what this thing is
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #15135 on: May 31, 2012, 06:29:26 PM »
I was at Goodwill today and saw a SS. Goodwill, for anyone not familiar, is a thrift store. They run 100% on donations. As in, they only sell things that people donate. Most people realize that, as a result, the merchandise is kind of hit or miss. Heck, DS and I call it "the treasure hunt store"  because you never know what you're going to find.
SS today was asking an employee where their floor fans are. Employee answered that if they had any, they would be along the back wall. SS told the employee that she had already checked the back wall and asked where else would they be. This, in and of itself, is not particularly SS. But, when employee told SS that if it's not on the floor, they don't have any, SS got very upset. Didn't employee realize that it's the middle of summer, and it's hot? SS needed a fan, and she needed it now! Employee suggested several traditional stores with a more predictable inventory nearby, and SS went bat crap crazy. It's too expensive to shop at Walmart, that's why SS is at Goodwill to begin with. She needs a fan, and she wants to pay $1. (Thursday is dollar day, so everything with a yellow tag was only $1 today)
In the United States today, there is a pervasive tendency to treat children as adults, and adults as children.  The options of children are thus steadily expanded, while those of adults are progressively constricted.  The result is unruly children and childish adults.  ~Thomas Szasz

BabyMama

• Kim Chee Casserole
« Reply #15136 on: May 31, 2012, 07:49:36 PM »
siamesecat2965 wrote:

"Then you have some like some of the ones profiled on tv shows, who buy 25 bottles of shampoo becuase its free, and add that to the 150 they already have in their stockpile.  I don't get that."

It makes a lot more sense when you realize that many extreme couponers also resell or trade their overstock.  If you can get 25 bottles of shampoo for free and sell it online for a buck a bottle or barter it for something else you need, it's pretty obvious why you'd want to do it.

Virg

True, but I think, and could be wrong, many deny doing that and say it's for them.  I also think some of them are hoarders, and that satisfies their need for stuff.

Yeah, I watched one time and it was a single mom and her teenaged daughter. All their "extras" were shelved neatly, her storage room looked like a mini grocery store. Among all their toiletry items, she had half a dozen different Axe and Old Spice deodorants, soaps, and shampoos, 4-5 of each at least. I kept thinking how little that made sense...

I hate people who try to use coupons for the wrong things. When I use coupons, I look carefully for the details (how many I have to buy, what the minimum size is, if there are flavor limitations, etc.) and write them on my grocery list. I also clip the coupons to the list so I can easily flip through and double check. It takes like 5 extra seconds...

Kaora

• I'm just a singer in a rock and roll band
« Reply #15137 on: May 31, 2012, 08:44:42 PM »
A potential cross post with the Conversations thread.

Some BG: We were expecting a package of tea today, so we were keeping an ear out on the door to make sure it arrived.  We also have a sign saying No Soliciting, at an adult's face level, in big, red, letters, that we made ourselves. We print a new one out after every few months or windstorm.

Doorbell rang this morning, open it up.  We're greeted by a religious group well-known for their door-to-doorsmanship.  My mum points out the no soliciting sign, and we get, "But we're not soliciting, we're spreading the message of God!"

I... don't... even... :o

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15138 on: May 31, 2012, 09:12:29 PM »
My maternal grandmother was of Italian heritage and when she went to Italy she tried to speak the language and was told "Speak English, we understand you better."

Wow I find that incredibly rude.  My DH and I came across this when we were visiting Other Country.  I mean at least your grandmother was trying to make an effort!  How can people become more fluent in their second language if opportunities to use it are taken away from them?

It is not my job to be your learning opportunity.

I agree, wolfie, and also, if the interaction will go easier in one tongue rather than the other, why force the time and brain power of the person trying to understand you (general)?

Well Gigi actually wasn't offended. On the contrary she thought it was pretty funny.  I guess because she acknowledged that her Italian wasn't all that great.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #15139 on: May 31, 2012, 09:30:13 PM »

Some BG: We were expecting a package of tea today, so we were keeping an ear out on the door to make sure it arrived.  We also have a sign saying No Soliciting, at an adult's face level, in big, red, letters, that we made ourselves. We print a new one out after every few months or windstorm.

Doorbell rang this morning, open it up.  We're greeted by a religious group well-known for their door-to-doorsmanship.  My mum points out the no soliciting sign, and we get, "But we're not soliciting, we're spreading the message of God!"

I've heard that numerous times. The argument goes the 1st admin prohibits the government from interfering with religious or political speech, so local anti soliciting laws don't apply.

The same logic is used to exempt certain groups from the do not call lists.

One summer a cult that was harrassing my neighborhood - just after one of my cousins escaped from the cult (her wackoloon mother had taken the kids to hid them there from their father, my uncle). I never liked the group - but after cousin told us somethings that happened to her and her sister I really don't like them. I printed up a flier that said -

Consider this written notice that people proselytizing for X are not allowed on the property at (My address). If you return, the police will be called to remove you and charge you with trespassing. 

I handed them out to three different groups of people three days in a row - they have not returned since. It has been about 5 years. (Cousin posted recently that she had been free for 5 years).

For politics. Last general election, after being jolted out of sleep by door to door campaigners several times (I got to sleep early during the school year)  -  I posted a note on my door. Resident is a teacher that gets up at 3:30 am to get to school. Waking me up with guarantee a vote against your candidate and a donation to your opponent. I did not get woken up again.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

weeblewobble

« Reply #15140 on: May 31, 2012, 10:10:03 PM »

My former office building had this problem.  We had a HUGE sign on the door that said No Soliciting, but no one ever seemed to see themselves as soliciting.  The worst offender was a woman who walked in and started her spiel before we could even say hello.  She was collecting money for some vaguely defined charity for wounded veterans - for which she had no literature or permit or proof that it even existed.  When we finally managed to wedge a word in, we asked her to observe the "No Soliciting" sign and leave.  She took great offense and screamed that "soliciting" didn't apply to her because she was doing charity work and we NEEDED to hear what she had to say.

Jones

« Reply #15141 on: May 31, 2012, 10:14:42 PM »
We had a guy come in yesterday selling oranges and grapefruit. When the other employee there said No, and I said No, he said "No fruit? What are you people, communists?" and stalked out.

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #15142 on: May 31, 2012, 10:22:02 PM »

I think, to a lot of people "no soliciting" means a monetary transaction. Offering newspaper subscriptions, peddling vacuum cleaners, selling Girl Scout cookies or asking for charitable donations--that's soliciting. Promoting ideas, such as the message of God or vote for Smith or sign this petition to save endangered wombats--that's not soliciting.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

nuit93

« Reply #15143 on: June 01, 2012, 03:25:01 AM »

I think, to a lot of people "no soliciting" means a monetary transaction. Offering newspaper subscriptions, peddling vacuum cleaners, selling Girl Scout cookies or asking for charitable donations--that's soliciting. Promoting ideas, such as the message of God or vote for Smith or sign this petition to save endangered wombats--that's not soliciting.

They're soliciting for my soul or my vote.

Unless I feel like engaging in religious or political debate, I don't even bother answering the door unless I'm expecting someone.  There's one particular religious group in our area that sends people by on a pretty regular basis.

Mediancat

• Shibboleth of Shadowland
« Reply #15144 on: June 01, 2012, 08:26:42 AM »
We had a guy come in yesterday selling oranges and grapefruit. When the other employee there said No, and I said No, he said "No fruit? What are you people, communists?" and stalked out.

Well, maybe if he'd asked for some red fruit, you would have had some . . .

Rob
"In all of mankind's history, there has never been more damage done than by someone who 'thought they were doing the right thing'." -- Lucy, Peanuts

Daquiri40

« Reply #15145 on: June 01, 2012, 09:02:23 AM »
I was almost a SS.

Driving in a tourist town, I went past the destination I wanted.  I was going to turn around in a store parking lot until my BF pointed out the large sign that said, "No Turnarounds...and YES THAT MEANS YOU!"

Needless to say, I did not turn around there and we got a good laugh out of it.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #15146 on: June 01, 2012, 11:37:03 AM »
Well, if you all are having such problems with people ignoring the "No Soliciting" signs, why not add more to the bottom, either what you don't allow or what soliciting actually means?

No Soliciting
*That means "Ask for or try to obtain something from someone".
*This includes but is not limited to soliciting donations for:
Charity
Political Campaign
Religious Group

OR

No Soliciting
No Religious Groups
No Political Campaign Groups
No Charity Groups

OR

No Soliciting
We don't donate, either!
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

snowflake

« Reply #15147 on: June 01, 2012, 11:51:47 AM »

Back ten years ago, when I was in charge of purchasing for my office, I got a ton of calls from people who claimed not to be selling something.   They just wanted to "talk about new phone regulations," or "discuss staffing opportunities."  Yes you are selling something.  If I had needed any of those things I'd have gone for someone who was upfront about it, not someone who thought I had time to waste first.

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #15148 on: June 01, 2012, 12:00:22 PM »
Once, back when I worked in an office, there was a report I had to get out but I kept getting interrupted.  So I posted a sign outside my cubicle:  Please do not disturb.  Working on X report.  Bother me at your peril."  Worked very well - I got the report finished and submitted on time.

(If a new doc had come in for a provider code, I'd have seen them.  But most of the interruptions had been co-workers asking questions I'd answered before, like "What department does Dr. Pediatrics work for?")

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15149 on: June 01, 2012, 12:18:18 PM »
Today is my birthday, and a co-worker brought me a small cake. I figured I'd share with my fellow administrative assistants, so we'd cut the cake and had put the lid back on, and it was on my desk.

A professor wandered through our office, said "Oh, hey, cake!", lifted the lid, cut two huge pieces and said "I'm not going to eat it, but I'll take my kids some.." and walked off.

We were all kind of speechless about it. This professor always does stuff like that. She will take half of a leftover pizza for her kids, big chunks of cake, cookies, and so on, all without asking or being invited to take any.