Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5080348 times)

MissRose

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #15165 on: June 02, 2012, 07:23:01 AM »
A potential cross post with the Conversations thread.

Some BG: We were expecting a package of tea today, so we were keeping an ear out on the door to make sure it arrived.  We also have a sign saying No Soliciting, at an adult's face level, in big, red, letters, that we made ourselves. We print a new one out after every few months or windstorm.

Doorbell rang this morning, open it up.  We're greeted by a religious group well-known for their door-to-doorsmanship.  My mum points out the no soliciting sign, and we get, "But we're not soliciting, we're spreading the message of God!"

I... don't... even... :o

*rolls eyes*

Makes me glad I am Catholic, and most Catholics do not go spreading their religion in the way certain other groups do that I know about at this time.  I am not putting down those groups that go out and spread their word to get converts etc though but please use some common sense & have some manners if someone does not want to be bothered.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15166 on: June 02, 2012, 10:25:38 AM »
That reminds me of something that happened right after I had Baby 3.

Her belly button had finally healed completely closed and I was giving her her very first ever 'submersion' bath (in a little tub with water).  The doorbell rang once.  I wasn't expecting anyone, so I ignored it.

Then it rang again, much more urgently.  Ding-dong, ding-dong, ding-dong!  Followed immediately by repeated loud knocks on the door.

I thought surely it must be an emergency situation with one of my neighbors or something so I quickly rinsed off baby and wrapped her in a towel and answered the door.  It was two women doing the religion thing.  The moment I opened it one of them began to talk really really fast and I swear, without taking a breath.  And just just kept talking and talking and talkling.

They could clearly see that I had a naked wet newborn in my arms wrapped in a towel.  It was winter.  It was extremely cold in that doorway. 

I didn't want to interrupt anyone talking about God, but eventually I just became infuriated.  I finally put out one hand and said "Just stop!  We are happy with our own religion and frankly, I think you're incredibly rude to continue talking when you can see that you have interrupted this baby's bath.  Please write down on your little pad of paper there that we don't want you or anyone else in your group to come back to this address -- EVER!!"

That baby will be 39 this winter and as far as I know, they've never been back.  I think I frightened them.   :)

lkb

« Reply #15167 on: June 02, 2012, 04:34:26 PM »
Gramma dishes story reminds me of one from my past.

I was finishing nursing my infant son when the doorbell rings. I opened the door and there are two men prepared to tell me about their faith. I listen politely waiting for an opening to politely tell them, "Sorry, not interested," all the while patting baby on the back to burp him. Keep in mind that baby is upright resting at my shoulder level.

At one point, baby turns to look at the men on my porch. At that very moment he burped up a good portion of his milk...

all over the screen door....

at the level of these men's faces

They left quickly.

They never came back.

I told that story to our priest and he got the biggest laugh I've ever seen.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15168 on: June 02, 2012, 04:40:04 PM »
http://caw.org/content/?q=node/65

Now perhaps the Salvationists might think Oberon is being rude here, but it looks to me like a polite discussion as to our differences.  Particularly relevant is the summing-up paragraph.

Not being born into sin, we have no need of salvation, and no need of a Messiah to redeem our sinful souls. Neither heaven nor hell is our destination in the afterlife; we have our own various arrangements with our own various deities. The Bible is not our story; we have our own stories to tell, and they are many and diverse. In a long life, you may get to hear many of them...

May you live long and prosper!
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

doodlemor

« Reply #15169 on: June 02, 2012, 05:43:24 PM »
I just love the baby throw up story, lkb!

This is probably rude, but when the solicitors and proselytizers come to our door I just don't shush the dogs very seriously.  They will try to outdo each other in guarding the house if given the opportunity. 

The rug cleaning salesmen who came this week looked rather impressed by the golden doodle, and he is a wuss with curly hair like a family movie dog.

In my defense I did tell the men politely that we were not interested, and said "thanks anyway."

Hillia

« Reply #15170 on: June 02, 2012, 08:26:09 PM »
DS was buttonholed on the sidewalk outside our house by a group from a local evangelical church, and was having a hard time escaping the sermon.  Finally he broke in and said, 'It doesn't matter what you say; I'm g*a*y so I'm going to hell anyway!' and dashed for the front door while they were gathering their wits to reply.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #15171 on: June 03, 2012, 12:33:48 AM »
DS was buttonholed on the sidewalk outside our house by a group from a local evangelical church, and was having a hard time escaping the sermon.  Finally he broke in and said, 'It doesn't matter what you say; I'm g*a*y so I'm going to hell anyway!' and dashed for the front door while they were gathering their wits to reply.

Go Hillia's son!
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #15172 on: June 03, 2012, 01:24:05 AM »
It hasn't happened in a while, but my parents used to get various proselytizers. However, when we went to answer the door, the dogs cascaded down the steps barking violently, and would try to squeeze past us to herd the intruding sheep away. Between the volume, the teeth (black fur makes white teeth stand out nicely) and the "Sorry, no," they tended to leave rather quickly.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Reika

« Reply #15173 on: June 03, 2012, 01:29:07 AM »
I'm aware this was a rude way to go about it, but at the time my friend and I were both at our wits end.

When I was at college there was this particularly pushy religious group going around campus making a nuisance of themselves. Since this was a small, private engineering school, everyone knew who they were and tended to avoid the members, either individually or as a group.

Right around Halloween of that year, they started doing the door knocking routine. Which while annoying once, would've been fine if they accepted being told no. Unfortunately, it just made them pushier. Both my roomie and I had told them twice each that night that we weren't interested, we were happy with our religions and to go away. She was polite each time, I started off polite, but became rather short (but no foul or abusive language) with them.

Thinking they were just limiting themselves to our dorm, and it was too late to complain to the appropriate office, and security wouldn't do anything, I went to visit a friend of mine in his dorm after he confirmed they'd been there and left after getting heckled.

So I'm chilling in my friend's room, the two of us just chatting when there's a knock on the door.

Yes, the pushy group was back.

Without missing a beat, my friend happily exclaimed, "Hey Reika, the sacrifices we need to get our cult going in Great Cthulhu's eyes have arrived. It's a sign!"

I went along with him and the push folks took off.

The next morning I went to the office of the guy in charge of allowing the various groups. Before I could say anything, he asked if it was about Pushy Religious Group, when I said yes, he said that it was being dealt with.

I've since had similar issues, but it's always been at my apartment, so I know if I call the cops when they won't take no for an answer, the cops will come to deal with the pests. I'm ashamed to admit I'm not sure how else I would've handled it if I were still at college. Not answering the door didn't work since they kept coming back.

At least I didn't follow the advice of roomie's boyfriend, he wanted to fill his super soaker with ice water and spraying them.

Kaora

• I'm just a singer in a rock and roll band
« Reply #15174 on: June 03, 2012, 05:24:59 AM »
Some BG: We were expecting a package of tea today, so we were keeping an ear out on the door to make sure it arrived.  We also have a sign saying No Soliciting, at an adult's face level, in big, red, letters, that we made ourselves. We print a new one out after every few months or windstorm.

Doorbell rang this morning, open it up.  We're greeted by a religious group well-known for their door-to-doorsmanship.  My mum points out the no soliciting sign, and we get, "But we're not soliciting, we're spreading the message of God!"

I... don't... even... :o
I think, to a lot of people "no soliciting" means a monetary transaction. Offering newspaper subscriptions, peddling vacuum cleaners, selling Girl Scout cookies or asking for charitable donations--that's soliciting. Promoting ideas, such as the message of God or vote for Smith or sign this petition to save endangered wombats--that's not soliciting.

They're soliciting for my soul or my vote.

Unless I feel like engaging in religious or political debate, I don't even bother answering the door unless I'm expecting someone.  There's one particular religious group in our area that sends people by on a pretty regular basis.

You need to take Karen's advice, she's a star
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSzA4Nzx3xc

If you haven't come across this show, Outnumbered, try to check it out. The kids ad lib and the adults are scripted (if its a scene with just adults) otherwise, they're just trying to keep up.

Oh my, that is brilliant!  Such a nice, polite girl, too boot! :D

I was wondering about the door thing; making another print that discourages the types away, as well. :) It's almost time to make a new one, anyways. :D

http://caw.org/content/?q=node/65

Now perhaps the Salvationists might think Oberon is being rude here, but it looks to me like a polite discussion as to our differences.  Particularly relevant is the summing-up paragraph.

Not being born into sin, we have no need of salvation, and no need of a Messiah to redeem our sinful souls. Neither heaven nor hell is our destination in the afterlife; we have our own various arrangements with our own various deities. The Bible is not our story; we have our own stories to tell, and they are many and diverse. In a long life, you may get to hear many of them...

May you live long and prosper!

In a way, I agree.  It's been a point I've had debates with with a couple friends on mine, at least, for I not being a direct descent of a Tribe in the Bible, to my knowledge.  But, religious discussion is neither here, nor there, so it's best we leave it off now? :)

(I do like this guy, however. :) )
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 05:26:30 AM by Kaora »

Jess13

« Reply #15175 on: June 03, 2012, 11:55:44 AM »
There is a reason I have this sticker on my window by my front door:

pearls n purls

« Reply #15176 on: June 03, 2012, 12:23:29 PM »
I hate solicitors, but I make exceptions for kids raising money for clubs, school trips, etc.  (especially neighbor kids)  I wish I could find a sign that says "No solicitors over x years old."

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15177 on: June 03, 2012, 12:25:48 PM »
I hate solicitors, but I make exceptions for kids raising money for clubs, school trips, etc.  (especially neighbor kids)  I wish I could find a sign that says "No solicitors over x years old."

You can make your own sign.  I made one with big noticeable sparkly letters.  ;D

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15178 on: June 03, 2012, 01:21:25 PM »
Mine would have something in big green font right under that "no exceptions" sign saying "Unless you're selling Girl Scout Cookies." :D

Kaora

• I'm just a singer in a rock and roll band
« Reply #15179 on: June 03, 2012, 01:42:30 PM »
Mine would have something in big green font right under that "no exceptions" sign saying "Unless you're selling Girl Scout Cookies." :D

Agreed! :P That's the only solicitor I don't mind. :)