Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5360513 times)

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #15150 on: June 01, 2012, 12:57:51 PM »
Today is my birthday, and a co-worker brought me a small cake. I figured I'd share with my fellow administrative assistants, so we'd cut the cake and had put the lid back on, and it was on my desk.

A professor wandered through our office, said "Oh, hey, cake!", lifted the lid, cut two huge pieces and said "I'm not going to eat it, but I'll take my kids some.." and walked off.

We were all kind of speechless about it. This professor always does stuff like that. She will take half of a leftover pizza for her kids, big chunks of cake, cookies, and so on, all without asking or being invited to take any.

Well, it's all your fault!   ;D

Everyone knows you keep food UNDER the desk, not on top of it!  Or in a file cabinet.  Or in the store room where professors never go. 

Seriously I think I'd have pushed her hand away and said "No, this is MY birthday cake!  It's a gift to me and I'm going to take the rest home and eat it myself!"

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15151 on: June 01, 2012, 02:26:06 PM »
So, it gets BETTER re: the girl in my class. Her, her roommate, and my roommate all went to London this weekend. "Ashley" did all of this while in London- not moving over so someone could pass on escalator (saying it rudely  too), not moving her bag from left side of moving stairs forcing people to step over it and then getting pissy when guy behind her moved it; she LEFT her duffel alone to try to get a table at mcdonalds at the london eye, left food on table to get duffel, food almost got thrown out by busser, she got pissy abt it; hasn't paid my roommate back her part of room $; almost got kidnapped and raped by 5 guys, she was waiting for her roommate and my roommate  in a convience store, guys said they had free beer at an empty pub, thought it was no big deal.

I swear to god I am destroying her passport when we get back to Florida.

Wait, am I misreading this? The last part of the sentence is a little confusing re: the guys, but it sounds like her almost getting kidnapped and raped is getting lumped in with the boorish things that she did.  :o One of these things is not like the others...

NyaChan

« Reply #15152 on: June 01, 2012, 03:04:01 PM »
I think the poster was expressing frustration of the girl's lack of safety awareness and common sense (don't go off with 5 male strangers) - but I agree, that lack of savvy is very different from being deliberately boorish

AustenFan

« Reply #15153 on: June 01, 2012, 03:37:37 PM »
Today is my birthday, and a co-worker brought me a small cake. I figured I'd share with my fellow administrative assistants, so we'd cut the cake and had put the lid back on, and it was on my desk.

A professor wandered through our office, said "Oh, hey, cake!", lifted the lid, cut two huge pieces and said "I'm not going to eat it, but I'll take my kids some.." and walked off.

We were all kind of speechless about it. This professor always does stuff like that. She will take half of a leftover pizza for her kids, big chunks of cake, cookies, and so on, all without asking or being invited to take any.

And you just sat there and watched?! Anyone trying to steal cake (or any baked good) from me had better be prepared to draw back a stump!

weeblewobble

« Reply #15154 on: June 01, 2012, 05:13:39 PM »

And you just sat there and watched?! Anyone trying to steal cake (or any baked good) from me had better be prepared to draw back a stump!

My former coworkers got me a lovely cake for my birthday.  They held a nice little party for me at lunch.  There was an 8-inch square of cake left, which I boxed up and planned to take home with me.  About an hour before quitting time, one of my former coworkers (whom I will not miss at all) came in, opened the box up without asking me and slices the cake in half, saying, "I'll just take this home to my kids."  Now, if she hadn't already had some cake at the party, I might have let her get away with it.  But she was notorious for showing up hours after a party, looking for seconds and saying she was taking extras home for her kids.*

I stopped her and said, "I'm sorry, I was planning to take that home to my family, but you're welcome to the chips or other snacks."  She pitched a huge fit over it an tried to rally other coworkers to support her claim to the cake, since the whole staff had gone to such trouble for me and I "owed her."  I double check with my closest friend on staff, who confirmed that SS Cake Claimer hadn't brought so much as a bag of chips.

* I strongly suspected that she, like most people who "take food home for their children" are actually eating the food themselves and just don't want to admit that they're eating more.

doodlemor

« Reply #15155 on: June 01, 2012, 05:21:51 PM »
Good for you, weeblewobble!  How lovely to hear that a moocher did *not* get her unjust desserts.

I bet these people stuff themselves while they are driving home.  I wouldn't be surprised if their cars were littered with stale crumbs and smeared with greasy frosting.

snowflake

« Reply #15156 on: June 01, 2012, 05:40:18 PM »
* I strongly suspected that she, like most people who "take food home for their children" are actually eating the food themselves and just don't want to admit that they're eating more.

Amen.

I once had a Girl's Night Out in a new area where we all went out for dinner at a nice Italian restaurant where they cooked it up rich.  Everyone ordered salads and water.  Then they placed "to go"orders that were for rich pasta and cheesecake saying, "Well I have to bring something home to my husband."   I sat there uncomfortably eating my ravioli and garlic bread while everyone picked at their salads with no dressing. 

Later I was with my husband when we ran into a woman's husband.  I mentioned that his dinner had looked good the other night.  That's when I found out he never saw the lasagne or the cheesecake.

Apparently, "I'm ordering for my husband" in that group meant, "I'm going to pretend I'm not pigging out in the car" and everyone knew it but me.  Oops.  Not that I'd actually do that.  Who wants to clean marinara off the upholstery?

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15157 on: June 01, 2012, 06:00:31 PM »

Or else they want their kids to gush over how awesome Mommy is, except Mommy is getting credit from someone else's dime/skills.

MerryCat

« Reply #15158 on: June 01, 2012, 11:30:00 PM »

Amen.

I once had a Girl's Night Out in a new area where we all went out for dinner at a nice Italian restaurant where they cooked it up rich.  Everyone ordered salads and water.  Then they placed "to go"orders that were for rich pasta and cheesecake saying, "Well I have to bring something home to my husband."   I sat there uncomfortably eating my ravioli and garlic bread while everyone picked at their salads with no dressing. 

Later I was with my husband when we ran into a woman's husband.  I mentioned that his dinner had looked good the other night.  That's when I found out he never saw the lasagne or the cheesecake.

Apparently, "I'm ordering for my husband" in that group meant, "I'm going to pretend I'm not pigging out in the car" and everyone knew it but me.  Oops.  Not that I'd actually do that.  Who wants to clean marinara off the upholstery?

Wow... that kind of hurts my brain. What is the point? No matter what your mouth says, your body is going to give away the real story sooner or later.

JonGirl

• I'm a JonGirl forever.
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBAa6CvY-TQ
« Reply #15159 on: June 02, 2012, 12:34:18 AM »

Amen.

Wow... that kind of hurts my brain. What is the point? No matter what your mouth says, your body is going to give away the real story sooner or later.

Not really. As someone who has a major problem with food, that's not always the case.
It's so sad when women have to hide what they're eating so they not being judged by their eating habits.  :(
Stewart/Colbert '16

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15160 on: June 02, 2012, 12:43:13 AM »

Amen.

Not really. As someone who has a major problem with food, that's not always the case.
It's so sad when women have to hide what they're eating so they not being judged by their eating habits.  :(

It is sad.  :( Another variation is the women who only eat when they're drunk. My first college roommate was one of these--salads by day, ordering 2am pizza by night--and when I worked at the Taco Bell near campus, I'd see the same thing. The same women would come in sober and order water and a plain tortilla with a little pinch of cheese in it, and then when drunk they'd order the whole menu while giggling about how "bad" they were being.

JonGirl

• I'm a JonGirl forever.
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBAa6CvY-TQ
« Reply #15161 on: June 02, 2012, 12:46:06 AM »

I've been known to do that too.
Being drunk makes it easier to "bring up the day's takings"
Stewart/Colbert '16

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
« Reply #15162 on: June 02, 2012, 04:31:45 AM »
Some BG: We were expecting a package of tea today, so we were keeping an ear out on the door to make sure it arrived.  We also have a sign saying No Soliciting, at an adult's face level, in big, red, letters, that we made ourselves. We print a new one out after every few months or windstorm.

Doorbell rang this morning, open it up.  We're greeted by a religious group well-known for their door-to-doorsmanship.  My mum points out the no soliciting sign, and we get, "But we're not soliciting, we're spreading the message of God!"

I... don't... even... :o
I think, to a lot of people "no soliciting" means a monetary transaction. Offering newspaper subscriptions, peddling vacuum cleaners, selling Girl Scout cookies or asking for charitable donations--that's soliciting. Promoting ideas, such as the message of God or vote for Smith or sign this petition to save endangered wombats--that's not soliciting.

They're soliciting for my soul or my vote.

Unless I feel like engaging in religious or political debate, I don't even bother answering the door unless I'm expecting someone.  There's one particular religious group in our area that sends people by on a pretty regular basis.

You need to take Karen's advice, she's a star
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSzA4Nzx3xc

If you haven't come across this show, Outnumbered, try to check it out. The kids ad lib and the adults are scripted (if its a scene with just adults) otherwise, they're just trying to keep up.

Victoria

MissRose

« Reply #15163 on: June 02, 2012, 07:23:01 AM »
A potential cross post with the Conversations thread.

Some BG: We were expecting a package of tea today, so we were keeping an ear out on the door to make sure it arrived.  We also have a sign saying No Soliciting, at an adult's face level, in big, red, letters, that we made ourselves. We print a new one out after every few months or windstorm.

Doorbell rang this morning, open it up.  We're greeted by a religious group well-known for their door-to-doorsmanship.  My mum points out the no soliciting sign, and we get, "But we're not soliciting, we're spreading the message of God!"

I... don't... even... :o

*rolls eyes*

Makes me glad I am Catholic, and most Catholics do not go spreading their religion in the way certain other groups do that I know about at this time.  I am not putting down those groups that go out and spread their word to get converts etc though but please use some common sense & have some manners if someone does not want to be bothered.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15164 on: June 02, 2012, 10:25:38 AM »
That reminds me of something that happened right after I had Baby 3.

Her belly button had finally healed completely closed and I was giving her her very first ever 'submersion' bath (in a little tub with water).  The doorbell rang once.  I wasn't expecting anyone, so I ignored it.

Then it rang again, much more urgently.  Ding-dong, ding-dong, ding-dong!  Followed immediately by repeated loud knocks on the door.

I thought surely it must be an emergency situation with one of my neighbors or something so I quickly rinsed off baby and wrapped her in a towel and answered the door.  It was two women doing the religion thing.  The moment I opened it one of them began to talk really really fast and I swear, without taking a breath.  And just just kept talking and talking and talkling.

They could clearly see that I had a naked wet newborn in my arms wrapped in a towel.  It was winter.  It was extremely cold in that doorway. 

I didn't want to interrupt anyone talking about God, but eventually I just became infuriated.  I finally put out one hand and said "Just stop!  We are happy with our own religion and frankly, I think you're incredibly rude to continue talking when you can see that you have interrupted this baby's bath.  Please write down on your little pad of paper there that we don't want you or anyone else in your group to come back to this address -- EVER!!"

That baby will be 39 this winter and as far as I know, they've never been back.  I think I frightened them.   :)